Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > World or Warcraft Run Smoothly on MacBook? (other Q's too)

World or Warcraft Run Smoothly on MacBook? (other Q's too)
The Fall of Math
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 10:25 AM

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a MacBook mainly for school and browsing the internet but I'm also thinking of trying the game World of Warcraft. I don't really know much about computers but I was told that a 256mb video card would be needed to run WoW smoothly. But I looked on the Mac site to find out how much mb the video cards are on the MacBooks but I couldn't find anything.

So my questions are, would the game World of Warcraft run smoothly on a MacBook? Does it have a video card? If so, what mb is it? Would getting 2GB ram help the game run smoother in any way? Are there any MacBook WoW players?

Any help would be highly appriciated. Thanks a lot.

CompleteAnarchy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 11:02 AM

heres my pc mockup

my windows machine has 512 megs ram, and a 3.2 ghz proc NO VIDEO CARD

and, i get good gameplay except when im in crouded areas, or big citys, but, if i close down spysweeper, i do get good performance in citys (but i still do drop down below 1 FPS occasioanly)

so, im going to say, having no prior experience with macs, that 2 gigs of ram on the mac book with a 2.0 ghz proc would run WoW verry good, because, it has higher specs than mine, and i can get average gameplay out of it...

and macbooks dont come with video cards, only the macbook pro does
( Last edited by CompleteAnarchy; Jan 12, 2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added last paragraph)

The Fall of Math  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 11:36 AM

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Then what are video cards for? I thought every computer had a video card.

I would really like the game to run smoothly even in crowded placed since I'm buying a new computer, so I'm wondering, would that be possible with a MacBook?

Are there any MacBook users that play this game?

Any advice on anything on this topic would be great. Thanks.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 02:09 PM

I play World of Warcraft on my 2.0 MacBook with 1 gigabyte of RAM almost daily now. I should also mention I play it simutaneously in a windowed mode on a 19" Widescreen Samsung monitor. It runs almost flawlessy - very rarely it will jump a little bit but for the most part its smooth. The fans kick on almost immediately when I start playing, but they spin up and down throughout the play. Usually after about 3-5 minutes of playing, they will find a happy medium between "high" and "low" and stay on. Hope this helped!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2007, 03:10 PM

I play WOW on a white macbook with 2 gigs or RAM. The extra gig made a bit of a difference in that the game ran a little smoother. All in all, it is definitely playable even if the graphic cards on these macbooks are integrated. Hope this helps!

The Fall of Math  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2007, 12:02 PM

I just found this video, so if anybody wants to see how the game works on a MacBook with 2GB ram, watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnSA-1ophR8

I have one more question. The guy that shot that video said he got 2GB Kingston cards. Would the ones you get with a MacBook be as good as Kingston ones? Do some ram cards work better than others, even though they are the same GB? The Kingston one have 400 MHz memory speed. Do the MacBook ones have that much?

Sorry if those questions seemed stupid, I don't know too much about computers.

Thanks.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 20, 2007, 01:43 PM

I play WoW on my new Macbook (1.83 GHz C2D, 2 GB). I'm experimenting with the video details turned all the way up to see how it performs; I'll ratchet down periodically to see what happens.

With full detail, it runs about as well as it did on my 1.33 GHz iBook (1 GB RAM) with the details set to about medium (halfway between performance and detail.) Somewhat jumpy, but it's a consistent jumpy; like the frame rate is about half of what it should be.

maccrack
Jan 20, 2007, 02:01 PM

yeah i got a 2.0 gig of ram and i run it perfect! the only thing is i use a usb hub and a g15 keyboard and a mx15 mouse. its real hard to play wth the mighty it toher than that its great.
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules