Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lost

Lost (Page 10)
Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2006, 11:07 PM

But Desmond's wife is on the case.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 11:12 PM

Huh.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

brapper
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 11:20 PM

....jeeeeez

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 11:26 PM

So WTH was that look Jack gave Kate? Secret plan?

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2006, 11:41 PM

They may have seen Sayid taking a sniper position.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 11:44 PM

"if you have enough money, you can find anybody"

"I start fires!"

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 11:49 PM

I thought it was great! I'm assuming the Others made the switch because Walt's freaky powers were interfering with their plans. Desmond was fantastic! WTF is up with the statue? It reminded me of both the Colossus and Ozymandias. When I saw the pile of notebooks, I figured just what Desmond did. So it looks like Henry really is the leader, huh?

All in all, they delivered what they said. We got answers and more questions, which is as it should be.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

awcopus
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 11:49 PM

WOW, that finale did not disappoint. Only chord that struck me as not making sense was Charlie's attitude at the end. If the people he was just with are dead, doesn't make sense that he would be upbeat at all. Then again, he has been behaving strangely of late.

Since Charlie survived, John and Ecko are probably still alive, right?

Jack's look was eerie at the end. Should occupy plenty of speculative threads for the next 6 months or so. For a second he seemed to be maybe happy to be among the Others, but that's just too f-ed up to believe. If he and Kate have a plan, I'm sure Sawyer can't wait to hear about it.

Can't remember, but at the end when the explosion happened, was Sayid back on the boat with Jin, or was it just Jin and his wife?

"See you in another life." We've heard that before. Would be cool if Desmond makes a return next season. Appealing character.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by awcopus
WOW, that finale did not disappoint. Only chord that struck me as not making sense was Charlie's attitude at the end. If the people he was just with are dead, doesn't make sense that he would be upbeat at all. Then again, he has been behaving strangely of late.
And he just survived a near-death experience. It could just be shock and relief.

Since Charlie survived, John and Ecko are probably still alive, right?
I hope so!

Can't remember, but at the end when the explosion happened, was Sayid back on the boat with Jin, or was it just Jin and his wife?
I'm pretty sure I saw Sayid as well. IIRC, he said something about sending the signal and sailing to the nearest beach.

Mr. Eko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 12:44 AM

Mr. Eko is not dead!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2006, 01:49 AM

awesome ending -- I hope Desmond is in it more, hes an awesome character.
WHen does season 3 air? I want it now
we don't have time to stop for gas

MinM
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Eko
Mr. Eko is not dead!
Agreed. Eko and Locke are too awesome a duo to be killed off.

As improbable as it may be, I hope the writers find a way to have Desmond survive. It'd be a shame to see him go after getting a glimpse of his backstory.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2006, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sourbook
But Desmond's wife is on the case.
When did Desmond get married?

I'm guessing he didn't die. Why bring his girlfriend into the story if he's already dead?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 04:05 AM

absolutely awesome!

i gotta good feeling henry isnt a leader but more likely a messenger for 'him'
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2006, 05:10 AM

Noticed the strange commercials they have been running during Lost for the Hanso Foundation?

Last week the URL they featured in the commercial was http://www.sublymonal.com - which takes you to a flash site with an easy little puzzle, which then gives you a password (Heir Apparent). Which then it launches http://www.thehansofoundation.org/

Anyway I don't want to spoil the rest of it for you all, but that password is used for something on the Hanso site. Keep digging around. Anything that looks odd on the site is usually some kind of clue.

There are some definite and obvious connections to Lost as you will quickly realize just by browsing though the site. The developers keep adding little bits on what seems to be a weekly basis.

This weeks Hanso Foundation commercial was the same one, except instead of sublymonal.org we are given http://www.hansocareers.com , which at the beginning of the commercial says that it is sponsored by monster.com. I haven't actually checked it out yet, but this stuff is pretty interesting for any hardcore Lost fan nonetheless.

If you aren't the type to figure it out on your own: http://www.thecoconutinternet.com/showthread.php?t=102

Have fun
( Last edited by EFFENDI; May 25, 2006 at 05:43 AM. )
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by awcopus
Yeah, Charlie was totally weird at the end. Something is up with him.

Other unanswered questions:

We still don't know what the hieroglyphics mean.

Is "Libby" short for "Elizabeth"?

What is the significance of the bird and the partial statue?

Why are the others wearing disguises and using false names?

What exactly happened with the "fail-safe" device?

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Is "Libby" short for "Elizabeth"?
Yes, just like "Liz," "Eliza," "Lisa," "Betty," "Beth," etc. It's the female name with the most nicknames IIRC.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
When did Desmond get married?
I'm guessing he didn't die. Why bring his girlfriend into the story if he's already dead?
In the final scene the Portuguese guys in the icy monitoring station called Penny (Desmond's wife/girlfriend) and told her, "I think we found it."

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2006, 10:36 AM

I don't think Desmond ever got married since the people in the blizzard said "mrs. widmore." But yeah, his girlfriend.

What I'm wondering is how she knew about the island? She must know something about the island since she has people watching for abnormal electro magnectic spikes.
What about the giant 4 toed statue?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 10:46 AM

So is it like X-files where they keep giving you "Solutions" that bring up more questions than it answers?

Cuz that is what turned me off X-files after season 4.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

brapper
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 11:32 AM

FOUR TOED STATUE?!?!!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?????

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 11:58 AM

Agreed. Unless I was asleep through the episode, we didn't actually get any answers. A lot of action, yes, but nothing that actually wrapped up anything outstanding and left only more open-ended questions...

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
So is it like X-files where they keep giving you "Solutions" that bring up more questions than it answers?

Cuz that is what turned me off X-files after season 4.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 12:01 PM

I watched 4 episodes this season to try to get into it and it bored me to death. I mean it is obvious there is something supernatural going on so no matter what the explanation it is pretty meh.

I couldn't get over the fact that people could survive a plane coming apart and smashing into the ocean.

So to me they are obviously all in purgatory or something, that is why the kids got removed early on as they are innocent or something like that.

ambush
Banned
May 25, 2006, 12:03 PM

You done raining on the parade yet?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
You done raining on the parade yet?
Sorry, I know that is your job but I thought you were busy.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 12:33 PM

the producers have mentioned twice that the show is not purgatory. also there were answers given on the season finale...

we found out that henry IS an important character, but not 'him'

we found out HOW/WHY the airplane crashed on the island

we found out there is no way off the island without knowing that one
specific route

we found out that pushing the numbers does actually mean something

we found out the people in the pearl hatch that were supposed to be observing the swan hatch were actually the ones that were probably being observed (seeing how their notepads went through the pneumatic tube to the middle of the forest somewhere)

we found out that kelvin is the same person in sayids backstory, and the person who drew the map and the blast doors

we found out that desmonds gf is a wydmore, the same wydmore found on the packaging for suns pregnancy test, the factory in the background of charlies video shoot, and the hot air balloon that crashes on the island.

i think we found out alot of things in this season finale, and yes there are new questions formed during the episode, but why finish a good thing by answering all the questions now? i admit, i stopped watching during the middle of the season due to frustration...but then i caught up (11 episodes) and all i could say is WOW! this show is really something.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 12:36 PM

Who was the guy in the car after Desmond got out of prison? He looked familiar.

Uriel
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 02:00 PM

Hi guys,

I don't participate much on these boards, but I would like to contribute if you don't mind.

I think Hanso/Widmore is connected somehow, I know, duh. We've seen the preg test for Sun which had a Widmore label on it etc. My guess is because Desmond wouldn't leave Penny alone, Daddy Widmore rigged a race around the world to get rid of Desmond for good. I don't think the island is soley used for that purpose, but I think he had access to it, so figured he could kill a few birds with one stone.

I dunno, makes sense to me. Penny overhears her Dad or someone mention electromagnets and knows that's what she needs to find to get Desmond back, that's the point of the end.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 02:06 PM

iREZ I know we found out those answers you listed. Problem is they are meh.

I mean the plane blew up because of energy buildup, same thing with pushing those buttons in the bunker.

is that really such an exciting answer though?

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 02:15 PM

Would a pistol still fire after being submerged in saltwater for a few minutes?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2006, 02:30 PM

The plane crashed because of an electromagnetic build up. Not exciting.

The plane crashed because of an electromagnetic build up that was caused by Desmond not typing in the numbers because he was following his mentor, to his boat which his mentor was repairing so he could leave the island, after he 'lied' to Desmond about the numbers so he would stay 'to save the world'. Exciting.

I think yesterday's episode was a good one, and it created a lot of questions that we'll have to wait until sometime season 3 for them to answer. Everyone here at work is talking about it, everyone is anticipated for season 3. The episode got it's job done.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
iREZ I know we found out those answers you listed. Problem is they are meh.

I mean the plane blew up because of energy buildup, same thing with pushing those buttons in the bunker.

is that really such an exciting answer though?
Yes. Many of us thought the plane crash was planned, but this revelation debunks that theory for the most part.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 25, 2006, 03:37 PM

so it was an accident, but a seemingly pre-ordained accident. too many of those passengers belong on the island.

did anyone else automatically think of the polar bears when we saw the snow shack at the end? and we still haven't got anywhere near a satisfactory answer to the monster question. what is it? who programmed the island defenses? lots of interesting questions left to answer.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 04:04 PM

Yes, I thought of the polar bears.

But god what a useless finale, with the exception of the plane crash none of the (important) questions were addressed, much less answered.

By the questions I mean :

Can you tell us who the others are already? The "hostiles", as it were?

What about the frigging monster made of black smoke (ie plot device) that they seemingly got tired of?

What's the deal with all the coincindences? A frigging hint/clue?

What about Walt and his powers? Another plot device that was toyed with and then discarded.

And on the same token, Hurley and the numbers? Not even a hint?

I could go on, but the second season was a waste of my time. So many questions created and then forgotten about. I honestly think they're making this up as they go along. It's no longer compelling drama. Season 3 is going to be a joke, or really bizarre. Remember Twin Peaks?

awcopus
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
so it was an accident, but a seemingly pre-ordained accident. too many of those passengers belong on the island.

did anyone else automatically think of the polar bears when we saw the snow shack at the end? and we still haven't got anywhere near a satisfactory answer to the monster question. what is it? who programmed the island defenses? lots of interesting questions left to answer.
Yeah, it's an excellent point you make about how so many of the passengers seem to be meant to be there. The plane crashed because of the magnetic force thingy, but the specific passengers on the plane were (I have a feeling) there because of the numbers. Each of them in some way are connected by those numbers.

I don't think that Michael and Walt are going to make it off the island, but we do know that it's possible to get off. The guy in the mental ward who Hugo got the numbers from was once on the island.

awcopus
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Yes, I thought of the polar bears.

But god what a useless finale, with the exception of the plane crash none of the (important) questions were addressed, much less answered.

By the questions I mean :

Can you tell us who the others are already? The "hostiles", as it were?

What about the frigging monster made of black smoke (ie plot device) that they seemingly got tired of?

What's the deal with all the coincindences? A frigging hint/clue?

What about Walt and his powers? Another plot device that was toyed with and then discarded.

And on the same token, Hurley and the numbers? Not even a hint?

I could go on, but the second season was a waste of my time. So many questions created and then forgotten about. I honestly think they're making this up as they go along. It's no longer compelling drama. Season 3 is going to be a joke, or really bizarre. Remember Twin Peaks?
I would agree with you that many episodes felt tired this season and I feel your frustration on all of those points. That said, my understanding is that the story was formulated as a 5 season arc. When you see Desmond and Jack arriving at the stadium at the same time in the finale and when you've seen other footage in previous episodes that looks like an extended take or new angle on footage we've already seen in still earlier episodes, I'm pretty sure that's because they were in those locations and shot that footage knowing, based on their script outline that they would be using these scenes in upcoming episodes. In other words, from a practical production perspective, I'm pretty sure that they're not making this up as they go along.

Not all episodes are created equal but on balance, this and BSG are my favorite TV shows because they require some amount of thought and imagination to enjoy. Not enough shows do that.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 04:45 PM

A lot of you sound like people that never watched Alias. You're not going to get answers. You're only going to get more questions. Even when questions are answered, the reality of the question or the answer can later change due to the introduction of some perspective you weren't given before. If you can't take answerless questions, you're going to have to stop watching.

Of course, they bailed out on Alias after a few seasons because people that hadn't seen it before couldn't follow it.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2006, 05:27 PM

Frame 'grab' from the season finale.

Alex (Rousseau's daughter?) seems to really like Kate.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Walt's powers seem to be the reason they let him go. They asked Michael those questions about appearing in different places and last night they said they got "more than they bargained for" with him. I suspect they concocted the plan because he was too much of a wild card.

Alex is surely Rousseau's daughter.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 25, 2006, 06:19 PM

walt's backwards talking while teleporting would freak me the hell out too.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook
Frame 'grab' from the season finale.

image snip

Alex (Rousseau's daughter?) seems to really like Kate.
Ha! I thought I saw some sweet island lesbiosity going on.

ironfrank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 07:09 PM

If you go to that www.hansocareers.com site, you'll notice that in each job description, some of the letters are grey instead of black. If you list all the letters from all 5 jobs, you get 'nslutmIemAya'. Then, if you go to http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/advanced.html and use only the anagrams with two words, the only one that starts with a capital I and a capital A is 'Inmate Asylum'.

Coinkydink?

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Would a pistol still fire after being submerged in saltwater for a few minutes?
Most would, yes. The Brretta Jack was using would most certainly. Glocks will even fire indefinitely underwater.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Most would, yes. The Brretta Jack was using would most certainly. Glocks will even fire indefinitely underwater.
The MythBusters proved it a few weeks ago even!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Who was the guy in the car after Desmond got out of prison? He looked familiar.
He looked familiar because he's in absolutely everything. Best known to UK folks as "Jim Robinson" (from the Oz soap Neighbours), Alan Dale has been in ER, The X-Files, JAG, The West Wing, 24, CSI Miami, The O.C..
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 04:04 AM

It just crossed my mind that the makeshift camp 'The Others' built might be an alternative living quarters to the hatches should sh1t hit the fan and everything made out of metal gets sucked into some place on the island…

Anyway, great season finale.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 07:05 AM

The huts were all stage props.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

wvx
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 08:14 AM

Good thing no one on the island has any fillings.

sabrejim
May 26, 2006, 08:33 AM

Why a fake hatch though?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 09:15 AM

For the two fake guards with guns to pretend that they are guarding something, so that anyone who stumbles across the place will automatically think that that hatch is their priority, and thus keep them even further away from the other's real location?

Forum Links
Forum Rules