Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > IBM Travelstar?

IBM Travelstar?
SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2001, 10:06 AM

When is IBM's recently announced 60GB Travelstar due out? It was announced about a month ago or more, but I have yet to see them for sale. Anybody have info on this? Also how much they'll cost?

Thanks!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2001, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by SMacSteve:
<STRONG>When is IBM's recently announced 60GB Travelstar due out? It was announced about a month ago or more, but I have yet to see them for sale. Anybody have info on this? Also how much they'll cost?

Thanks!</STRONG>
It's not a 60gb that was announced, it was a new series of drives named 60GXP. It's the next model up from the 75GXP, which many people had problems with.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 02:01 AM

No, he's referring to this:

(from http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/press/20011107.htm)

San Jose, Calif., Nov. 7, 2001 -- IBM today unveiled a trio of heavyweight hard disk drive products with enhanced capabilities and industry-best features for the high-performance desktop, mobile and new blade server segments.

&lt;snip&gt;

Next up: the Travelstar 60GH and 40GN family. The Travelstar 60H, at 60 GB and 5400 RPM, is the industry's highest-capacity, highest-performing 2.5-inch notebook drive. The 40GN offers 40, 30, 20 and 10 GB capacities at 20 GB per disk and spinning at 4200 RPM. As a family, the Travelstar enables the longest battery life among leading notebook drives and maintains its "quietest" drive title with IBM's Drive Noise Suppression System continued across the new product line.

Sorry, I haven't heard anything about them yet I'd keep an eye out for them on pricewatch.com...

--J

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2001, 08:03 AM

Hmm..highest capacity, fastest, lowest battery use, and quietest drive? Not bad

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2001, 01:36 PM

Gene,

thanks for correcting me. I apologise for my error.

I hadn't realized we were talking about laptop drives, because I completely overlooked the title of the topic.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 03:48 PM

Well, I installed a 32 GB 5400 rpm Travelstar in my TiBook not more than a week ago, so the topic caught my eye. Having just been in the market, I remembered that press release. I have a feeling they're going to replace the 48 gig drives at the top of the price tiers, so I'd expect them to be close to 400 AmeriBucks. The drive I just put in was only $179, so if you need space, that's a pretty good price...

Forum Links
Forum Rules