Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Chimera

Chimera
SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2002, 10:28 AM

I've been having a hell of a time with the Chimera crashing (spinning beachball from hell) at start up on my 800 TiBook. Has any one been having this problem? It will launch ok once I delete the app and the preferecnes in the user lib but after I shut down and the relaunch it does it all over again. I really like the speed of this great little brouser, but if I can't figure out what the problem is (if I can do anything about it) I'll have to stick with OW and IE. Until they come out with a newer version that fixes it.

Are there any other preferences that I'm unaware of? I'm assuming I have a bad file somewhere that I'm not deleting. The one I've found is "org.mozilla.navigator.plist" I'm assuming this is the Chimera Preferences. Are there any others?

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2002, 10:52 AM

This isn't a problem with Chimera (not even the nightlies). The file you've found isn't the Chimera preferences (it isn't even the Mozilla preferences). The Chimera/Mozilla preferences are located in your home directory (/Users/MyUserName). It is a folder called ".mozilla" I souldn't have to explain that that's without the quotes. The leading period makes the folder invisible under Mac OS X. There are two ways to get around this (save from wipeing the HD). You can boot into 9 and delete the folder or install tinkertool and tell it to show hidden files.

carver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2002, 11:05 AM

Actually, there is a hidden folder in your user directory with the following name:

.mozilla

Inside this is where Chimera keeps most of it's prefs along with any bookmarks you may have. If you open a terminal and type ls -la you'll see it sitting there. Or if you want to use the gui to get at the contents use the Go menu in the Finder, select Go To Folder and type the following then hit enter:

~/.mozilla

You'll be dumped into the .mozilla directory and now you can root around and figure out what the problem is. I like Chimera too but I find it always chokes after having imported bookmarks from another browser. I'll Stick will Mozilla until they work out a few more of the kinks. Hope you find this of use...

Carver

foamy
Senior User
Jun 16, 2002, 12:14 PM

There's an even easier way to see hidden folders.

Open a finder window.

In the Go menu, select go to folder

type in ~/.mozilla/

Behold the hidden .mozilla folder magically appear in the finder.

SMacSteve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2002, 09:05 AM

OK, great I've found the hidden folder by way of the "go" menu. Now what folder to delete? I did import favorites from IE. Would this cause the problem?

foamy
Senior User
Jun 17, 2002, 01:52 PM

Steve,

I would just rename the entire .mozilla folder and let it create a new one. You can reimport your bookmarks.

To set all of the prefs (fonts, tabs, etc) I use a copy of Mozilla Mach-O found at
<a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/MacMozilla-MachO.dmg.gz" target="_blank">Here</a>

This version of Mozilla uses the same profile as Chimera (except for the bookmarks).

Forum Links
Forum Rules