Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What's taking so long?

What's taking so long?
(",)PB12
Oct 21, 2003, 08:37 PM

Hi to all, I'm from toronto, canada. Ordered an Alu 15 1Ghz from school on the 23rd sept, shipped on the 27th but still no sign of my powerbook as of 21 oct 2003. What is taking so long? Any insights regarding matter? The wait is killing me, i had to put off some school related work due to this unexpected delay. However i'm hoping this delay is to rectify the white spots onslaught.

Crumpler

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:48 PM

That sux man. Shipped almost a month ago and it has not yet arrived? Do you have a tracking number - Seems to me that something has gone awry.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 21, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
That sux man. Shipped almost a month ago and it has not yet arrived? Do you have a tracking number - Seems to me that something has gone awry.
Apparently not since i ordered from the Campus store they won't divulge the order information to me. I'm really at a lost now.

bigben1024
Oct 21, 2003, 09:37 PM

you as the consumer should demand that the bookstore investigate and take care of it. A month wait is not acceptable. I think that if you were a 40+ man you would have no trouble getting answers.
I was treated like smit at best buy a few months ago, the manager just said he was sorry I had a bad experience with the girl who I talked to. What is that? I am 22 by the way. I then let my father take the issue to a different best buy, and he got it taken care of with smiles and yes-sirs.
WTF?
When will these companies learn that our money is just as good as an older persons? I guess they think we will always put low prices over customer service. And to some extent, they are right...
<fancy signature here>

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by (",)PB12:
Hi to all, I'm from toronto, canada. Ordered an Alu 15 1Ghz from school on the 23rd sept, shipped on the 27th but still no sign of my powerbook as of 21 oct 2003. What is taking so long? Any insights regarding matter? The wait is killing me, i had to put off some school related work due to this unexpected delay. However i'm hoping this delay is to rectify the white spots onslaught.

Crumpler
I am a grad student in Canada....

what campus store is this...?

lates...

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 21, 2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by bigben1024:
you as the consumer should demand that the bookstore investigate and take care of it. A month wait is not acceptable. I think that if you were a 40+ man you would have no trouble getting answers.
I was treated like smit at best buy a few months ago, the manager just said he was sorry I had a bad experience with the girl who I talked to. What is that? I am 22 by the way. I then let my father take the issue to a different best buy, and he got it taken care of with smiles and yes-sirs.
WTF?
When will these companies learn that our money is just as good as an older persons? I guess they think we will always put low prices over customer service. And to some extent, they are right...
Ha Ha...I guess you're right. Yeah i do agree that a month's wait is way too long.

Macbear
Oct 21, 2003, 11:00 PM

Shipments are running behind at the University of Western Ontario Campus Store too. I ordered my 12" Powerbook on October 3rd. I still don't even have a confirmed ship date.

I hate being angry with Apple... but I'm angry with Apple. There... I said it.
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

stotan
Oct 21, 2003, 11:08 PM

Crumpler
Your not the only one. I ordered my laptop sept 19th and still dont have it. I cancelled and I'm ordering it from Apple now. It says will be shipped by oct 24th and will take 3-6 days after the 24th to receive it.

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 21, 2003, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by stotan:
Your not the only one. I ordered my laptop sept 19th and still dont have it. I cancelled and I'm ordering it from Apple now. It says will be shipped by oct 24th and will take 3-6 days after the 24th to receive it.
Wow... seems like we have a winner here.
You waited for more than a month.
I ordered on the 23rd 4 days after you...
Anyway i'm guessing IT should arrive by the end of the week. If not i'll see what i can do about cancelling the order from school and order direct throught Apple Canada

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 11:51 PM

Crumpler
I think that Canada and Europe wasn't an important market to Apple. Canada is only 3% of Apple's market. So, I think they voluntarily put us second on there list has for shiping.

I ordered my 15" on the 6th october from my campus store and will get my Powerbook in the middle of next week.

I'm starting to day dream about it...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 12:25 AM

I have to agree, with my fellow countrymen...

Apple views Canada as an afterthought...

Hence no Apple Store, anywhere in the our Dominion...

Many other examples (to many to mention here...)

sux to be us...

lates...

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 01:07 AM

Feeling same way here.

I phoned apple today and simply inquired if there was something wrong with the order because of the long ship date. The women on the other end treated me like dirt untill I felt so uncomftorable I didn't want to ask anymore questions.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 01:38 AM

Yea, the wait sucks man... hope you get yours soon...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

bigben1024
Oct 22, 2003, 02:41 AM

Hmmm.
Try getting their name and asking for a supervisor.
This didn't work for me (previously mentioned).
But it might work for you.

The dufus actually asked me what the girl did wrong in front of her, so when I explained to him that she had been rude to me, she interupted me several times telling me to "tell the truth" and "nuh uh I didn't".

How could I ever hope to prove my point with a whiney b*tch yapping at me when I was trying to talk? What a crock.
I tell you another thing...
Employees have to be more polite in other countries, such as Korea. If someone is reported to be rude, they are fired on the spot, and there is some sort of repirations.
The reason they do this is because of word of mouth.
Word of mouth doesn't matter here, however. Not sure why.

Phew. Sorry, that'll be the last of my rants on the dissolving customer service. I hope.
Notice how the only buyer's market is the job market? (where you have the skill being bought/rented)
<fancy signature here>

stotan
Oct 27, 2003, 01:39 PM

Wow... seems like we have a winner here.
You waited for more than a month.
I ordered on the 23rd 4 days after you...
Anyway i'm guessing IT should arrive by the end of the week. If not i'll see what i can do about cancelling the order from school and order direct throught Apple Canada
ahhhhhhhh!
on the 24th (the day my laptop was supposed to ship) i got a email saying that my order was being processed and when it was shipped they would send me a tracking number. I figured that would be sometime during the day on the 24th, but that came and went. My order status still says shipped on or before the 24th, but i called apple this morning and the lady told me it was weird that i got a email saying it was being processed but never got a tracking number so she checked and said that they havent shipped my order and it seemed strange so she asked around and came back to me and told me my order has been delayed till nov 2nd! thats gonna be over a month and a half before i get my freaking laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 02:42 PM

Oh man....sorry to hear that. Guess you spoke too soon. These days shipment dates, esp 15", are not reliable. I think the only true shipment date we can trust is the day it does arrive. Sad, but true. I'm still waitin for mine. Reseller just told me ETA is Oct 31st. Bummer.

acadian
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 03:05 PM

Was it through the UofT bookstore? If so, that's odd, I special ordered my revision B 17" and it arrived in less than two weeks.
people ruin everything....

stotan
Oct 27, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by acadian:
Was it through the UofT bookstore? If so, that's odd, I special ordered my revision B 17" and it arrived in less than two weeks.
no, i first ordered it through emj (apples distributor for canada) because I am a developer, but apple kept postponing their ship dates to them and the adc site for apple canada opened oct 15 so i cancelled the emj order and switched to the online store. And of course after i switched the order emj emails me to tell me they are making up my refund and also that apple would have a shipment of powerbooks to them by the 24th!

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by acadian:
Guess demand for the 15" is different from the 17". Thus the difference in elapsed time. Darn.... you have a 17"...you lucky chap. Ha Ha Enjoy! *Green with envy*

Macbear
Oct 27, 2003, 04:37 PM

I see a pattern developing here. I've read so many stories now about people ordering 12 and 15 inch Powerbooks through educational channels here in Canada, and then experiencing incredible delays.

I'm still waiting for my 12", ordered at the start of October. Still no word on a firm ship date from the University of Western Ontario bookstore.

I'm giving it one more week, and then I'll be calling Apple directly and seeing what, if any, info I can dig up.
Macbear

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 04:46 PM

Ordered Albook 15 Superdrive from U of Mtl coop on sept 19, no news yet.

Delay's usually 4 to 6 weeks with new products. Get used to it, Apple will serve the US, then Europe, then us.

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

Macbear
Oct 27, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by bobette:
Ordered Albook 15 Superdrive from U of Mtl coop on sept 19, no news yet.

Delay's usually 4 to 6 weeks with new products. Get used to it, Apple will serve the US, then Europe, then us.

Yes, I agree. BUT... why are people who order directly from Apple not experiencing these delays in Canada? Why does it seem like Universities are getting the short end of the Powerbook stick?

Hmmmm....
Macbear

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Macbear:
Yes, I agree. BUT... why are people who order directly from Apple not experiencing these delays in Canada? Why does it seem like Universities are getting the short end of the Powerbook stick?

Hmmmm....
Cause they make less money out of us and know we won't switch to Winblows if delays suck.

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 06:08 PM

Cause they make less money out of us and know we won't switch to Winblows if delays suck.
WAHAHHAHAHA
My campus store just made a 100 bucks out of me . Apparently they charged a 100bucks more than the education pricing scheme offered by Apple Education. Their claim for such an extortion was that there is a qualified Apple Technician to attend to customers should problems arise. Well i figured that sounds reasonable. Any of the campus customers experiencing such a price discrepancy as well?

stotan
Oct 27, 2003, 06:15 PM

WAHAHHAHAHA
My campus store just made a 100 bucks out of me . Apparently they charged a 100bucks more than the education pricing scheme offered by Apple Education. Their claim for such an extortion was that there is a qualified Apple Technician to attend to customers should problems arise. Well i figured that sounds reasonable. Any of the campus customers experiencing such a price discrepancy as well?
its like that at the u of c too, i think between 50-100 dollars on the powerbooks

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 06:15 PM

WAHAHHAHAHA
Cool the caps lock bro.

I was talking about the non-edu pricing, they get served first.
Second, I pay at par with edu applestore pricing, no extra 100$ sh!t.
Third, I'm a company so I get retail tax return: 488$

wahahahaha yerself...

( Last edited by bobette; Oct 27, 2003 at 06:25 PM. )

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 06:52 PM

Cool the caps lock bro.

I was talking about the non-edu pricing, they get served first.
Second, I pay at par with edu applestore pricing, no extra 100$ sh!t.
Third, I'm a company so I get retail tax return: 488$

wahahahaha yerself...

Hi Bobette, i apologize if you thought i was mocking at your comments. Apparently i wasn't. So don't get too protective. I was just expressing the possibility of getting conned right on campus, that's ludicrous isn't it. Well hope this clears the bad karma

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 06:57 PM

Well seems like no one in Canada is getting their 15". We'll just have to wait eagerly. That's all we can do i suppose. Unless there's a miracle. But seriously, i really don't mind the wait as long as it is for a good cause. That being not receiving a lemon. With the White spots onslaught that's plaguing most of the 15" owners... I'm rather worried myself. Peace out!

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 12:35 AM

Hi Bobette, i apologize if you thought i was mocking at your comments. Apparently i wasn't. So don't get too protective. I was just expressing the possibility of getting conned right on campus, that's ludicrous isn't it. Well hope this clears the bad karma
No problem my friend, we're all flipping out in Canada! Just can't wait...

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 02:10 AM

No problem my friend, we're all flipping out in Canada! Just can't wait...
how's yournew powerbook?
ANy thing you'd like to share?

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 02:24 AM

guys seriously dont worry to much about the white spots.

Even if apple did not change a thing I would say your chances of getting the white spot problem is 20%.

BTW Apple said that the reason for the white spots was the PB was being smashed too hard while shipping, or while in transport if you take it around alot. Its made to be portable just dont press the lid too hard.

Anyway I believe their official response went something like that.
Force

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by forcelite:
guys seriously dont worry to much about the white spots.

Even if apple did not change a thing I would say your chances of getting the white spot problem is 20%.

BTW Apple said that the reason for the white spots was the PB was being smashed too hard while shipping, or while in transport if you take it around alot. Its made to be portable just dont press the lid too hard.

Anyway I believe their official response went something like that.
Hi forcelite, could you please provide a link to this so called apple's official response to the white spot problem. I'd like to have a read. Thanks!

acadian
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 12:32 PM

When my 17" arrived at the bookstore it was among a sipment of 38 units...all were spoken for. As a matter of fact, while I was waiting in the que to pay (along with three other happy new 17" owners), two guys came into the store looking to buy 17" powerbooks. After the clerk explained that all the units were spoken for, one of these guys tried offer him a cash inducement to release one to him. Kinda funny....
people ruin everything....

Macbear
Oct 28, 2003, 03:48 PM

Oh Happy Day!

I just spoke to the Campus Computer Store at the University of Western Ontario, and it appears that my 12" Powerbook arrived this morning. I'll be leaving to get it soon. I ordered it on October 3rd, and was never given a firm ship date. Suddenly, it's just here!

I realise that others here in Canada (and Europe) have been waiting even longer. Here's hoping your wait will be over soon too! I'll post to let you know how things go once I get it.
Macbear

stotan
Oct 28, 2003, 04:25 PM

Oh Happy Day!

I just spoke to the Campus Computer Store at the University of Western Ontario, and it appears that my 12" Powerbook arrived this morning. I'll be leaving to get it soon. I ordered it on October 3rd, and was never given a firm ship date. Suddenly, it's just here!

I realise that others here in Canada (and Europe) have been waiting even longer. Here's hoping your wait will be over soon too! I'll post to let you know how things go once I get it.
yay for you!

apple sent me an email with an actual tracking number today, i got it shipped priority so it supposed to arrive on the 31st, just in time for the weekend! someone just better be home to receive it!

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 04:32 PM

Good for you guys. I still haven't receive any news from my sales rep. hope it arrives soon too.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 05:27 PM

This is taking forever guys. I had requested a edu price quote from my sales rep (AAFES)a week ago on the 15"PB and they keep writing back that they can't get a response from the vendor (Apple). I wonder if this has anything to do with all the problems with latch, spots, etc? So today I asked them to quote me a edu price on the 17"PB. If I get a quick turn around on the 17"PB then I know somethings up.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 05:32 PM

spatterson: Can you not order directly from Apple Store - Education?

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 05:50 PM

Oh Happy Day!

Hi MacBear, eager to read your report on your new Powerbook!

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
spatterson: Can you not order directly from Apple Store - Education?
Yes, but I am trying to avoid having to pay state tax. My HOR is Nevada. I just reside in Georgia because of the Miltiary. if I order though AAFES then I don't have to pay state tax! Thanks for looking out for me though!

Macbear
Oct 28, 2003, 09:22 PM

I am now typing on my brand new 12 inch Powerbook with Superdrive.

Biggest news? PANTHER was preinstalled and the restore DVD says Mac OS 10.3 right on it.

This is the first time I've heard of Panther being preinstalled on a Powerbook. So, for those of you still waiting, you'll probably have Panther ready to go when you get it!

Other than this pleasant surprise, the Powerbook is working great so far. No flaws as far as I can see. The keyboard is great, and it hasn't gotten very warm yet. Airport is working well, but not as much range as on my old iBook. Installing new memory required me to go buy a tiny screwdriver (spectacle repair kit). Once I finally got the memory cover off, installation was easy.

Well, that's it for now. I have yet to install any third party apps. I'll post more details if they seem important, or if folks have questions.

Woo hoo!
Macbear

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 09:32 PM

WooHooo....just as i expected...Apple will surprise us. And true enough it did. Hope my 15" comes preinstalled with panther as well. Keeping my fingers crossed

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 09:44 PM

WooHooo....just as i expected...Apple will surprise us. And true enough it did. Hope my 15" comes preinstalled with panther as well. Keeping my fingers crossed
OMG - Thats outstanding!!! Congrats!!! Let us know how your 15"PB experience is...

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
OMG - Thats outstanding!!! Congrats!!! Let us know how your 15"PB experience is...
Hi Spatterson , sorry if i mislead you. I haven't receive my 15 yet. But i am hoping i have the same luck as Macbear since he got his iwth panther pre installed.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 11:15 PM

Hi Spatterson , sorry if i mislead you. I haven't receive my 15 yet. But i am hoping i have the same luck as Macbear since he got his iwth panther pre installed.
(",)PB12: I,m Sorry.... Guess it helps to read the sentences twice before responding! Guess the words just made me excited... Thanks Good luck anyways!

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
(",)PB12: I,m Sorry.... Guess it helps to read the sentences twice before responding! Guess the words just made me excited... Thanks Good luck anyways!
Yeah ... thanks. Once i get mine i'll keep you guys updated on the 15's performance.

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 12:27 PM

Got a call this morning, my french k/b 15Al Superdrive is in town. I'm supposed to pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Sorry if I don't seem very enthusiastic, but I'm crossing my fingers that I won't get white spots on the screen.

The Powerbooks have started trickling in the canadian edu-coop market gradually although still no news of the 20 Gig iPod I had oredered with it.

I'll keep you posted.

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 29, 2003, 01:00 PM

Got a call this morning, my french k/b 15Al Superdrive is in town. I'm supposed to pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Sorry if I don't seem very enthusiastic, but I'm crossing my fingers that I won't get white spots on the screen.

The Powerbooks have started trickling in the canadian edu-coop market gradually although still no news of the 20 Gig iPod I had oredered with it.

I'll keep you posted.
Hi Bobette, i can understand how you feel regarding the white spots. As much as I like the idea of receiving the powerbook another part of me is sending shivers down my spine, the thought of receiving spotted powerbook is just devastating...

Anyway good luck with your powerbook. But i'm sure you'll get Panther preinstalled, another guy on the forum just got his yesterday with panther.

Enjoy!!!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 01:13 PM

That is great news for us Canadians! I ordered a 15" on October 16th and have an OOB of the 30th, but Apple has yet to charge my credit card. From what I have been reading some people are receiving their Powerbooks without any warning - no update on their order page, it just shows up one day...
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

(",)PB12  (op)
Oct 29, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
That is great news for us Canadians! I ordered a 15" on October 16th and have an OOB of the 30th, but Apple has yet to charge my credit card. From what I have been reading some people are receiving their Powerbooks without any warning - no update on their order page, it just shows up one day...
Yeah.....cases of getting shock treatment(in a good way) getting prevalent. Hope it happens to me too. Ordered on Sept 23rd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules