Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.9 Makes My Fan Run All The Time!!

10.3.9 Makes My Fan Run All The Time!!
lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2005, 01:43 AM

This is the first time an Apple update has messed my 17" 1.33MHz PB. Looking at activity monitor kernal task and java are using up almost 100% of the cpu!! That's just nuts! Something is seriosuly messed up! I reinstalled security update 002 - that fixed nothing. Did the combp updater and that fixed nothing!!

WHAT TO DO NOW?!?!
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

kingskel
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2005, 02:18 AM

Reapply the "combp" to your "kernal" and PANIC!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 04:54 AM

Send your PB to me. I will fix it, and then I will ship you back my iBook 466. I'll even pay for the shipping. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 05:19 AM

kernEl kernEl kernEl kernEl kernEl

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

zacharydz
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2005, 03:31 PM

Actually, my fan has been running alot since updating to 10.3.9 (used the combo update). I repaired permissions before and after. My cpu is running pretty consistently around 100%. This is the first time that I have heard the fan run for long periods of time on my iBook
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

lunaticbunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 04:36 AM

Seems like it turned out to be the same java problem everyone else has been having. Had to reinstall 10.3.9 combo update and security update 002 twice and repair permissions a million times before everything settled down.
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

Fredo
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 12:31 PM

After making the update to 10.3.9, my CPU was running 100% for excessive lengths of time, MenuMeters http://www.ragingmenace.com/software...ers/index.html identified usage through activity monitor as process: lookupd, user: root. Restarting did not resolve the problem. I used Cocktail http://www.macosxcocktail.com/ to reprebind and empty caches. This seems to have done the job. CPU usage is back to normal.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules