Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The dirt on the PS3

The dirt on the PS3 (Page 2)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
You'll still have to choose..... which color PS3 you want. I'm torn between the white and the black. With all my Mac stuff, I've got enough aluminum. My entire entertainment center is black, so do I want the PS3 to blend in or stand out? Hmmmm...

As for the 360, you'll have plenty of ghetto faceplates to choose from
Me likes the white.

Aiglos
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 11:27 AM

I always like a silver finish in metal products. So I'll go silver.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 11:39 AM

oops nm

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 12:58 PM

"A second screen such as a PC monitor could also be used to show tactical and statistical game data or video chat streams."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
"A second screen such as a PC monitor could also be used to show tactical and statistical game data or video chat streams."
Hardly anyone has HDTV, let alone 2 TVs sitting next to each other.

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Hardly anyone has HDTV, let alone 2 TVs sitting next to each other.
Call sony and tell them that in the 5 years that this system is going to be around HDTV's and dual monitors are not going to increase at all.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:06 PM

Call sony and tell them that in the 5 years that this system is going to be around HDTV's and dual monitors are not going to increase at all.
Well, HDTV will rise, but the 2 TV thing, thats a bit weird. I don't expect anything but the PS3 to have a use for it.

-Owl

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:08 PM

Well, HDTV will rise, but the 2 TV thing, thats a bit weird. I don't expect anything but the PS3 to have a use for it.

-Owl
Another TV in the next room can be watching totally different content or playing against someone on the other set.

As for nobody having an HDTV:

"6% have an HDTV set, up 50% versus six months ago;"

You wanna take a guess as to how many millions that is? In a year I bet it will be to 15%

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:12 PM

Another TV in the next room can be watching totally different content or playing against someone on the other set.

As for nobody having an HDTV:

"6% have an HDTV set, up 50% versus six months ago;"

You wanna take a guess as to how many millions that is? In a year I bet it will be to 15%
I don't doubt HDTV one bit, the first TV I buy on my own will be HD, I plan to get one before the next wave of consoles.

BUT, having 2 TVs side by side, that will never be popular.

And running video cables, especially the type for HDTV, to another room for 2 player won't be likely either.

Using it for 2 player action is more probable than using it for your HUD/extra info.

-Owl

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 02:12 PM

I find it kind of funny...

DS comes out...

SWG: "OMG two screens what a dumb idea. Stupid Nintendo gimmick."

PS3 announced...

SWG: "OMG support for two HDTV's! Thats so awesome! Everyone's going to be able to do that!"
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by goMac

DS comes out...

PS3 announced...

SWG: "OMG support for two HDTV's! Thats so awesome! Everyone's going to be able to do that!"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:17 PM

DS comes out...

PS3 announced...

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:18 PM

DS comes out...

PS3 announced...

two separate people can play with the DS at the same time? What do you do split it in half?

The DS does HD? Who knew.

2 People can use one DS to watch two separate movies? Wow!

Try again cuz what you are saying is in no way the same

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 02:29 PM

two separate people can play with the DS at the same time? What do you do split it in half?

The DS does HD? Who knew.

2 People can use one DS to watch two separate movies? Wow!

Try again cuz what you are saying is in no way the same
Guess what, you're probably going to be in for a shock when you hear this, but two Nintendo's DS's are cheaper than a PS3 and two HDTV's. Also, you may have to sit down for this one, the PS3 does not come with an HDTV, or even any sort of display at all. And, even more of a shocker, the PS3 only has one DVD drive meaning it can only play one movie. According to initial reports adding more TV's to the PS3 doesn't seem to help with this single DVD problem. The DS is just a little more practical.

Oh, also Sony hasn't said games will support 7 controllers. They say the PS3 will support 7 bluetooth devices.

Now why would they pick 7 you're wondering? Bluetooth supports a max of 8 devices. The PS3 is one bluetooth device, leaving you with 7. They've already said there will be bluetooth cameras and other accessories available.

I think the other TV is meant to be a heads up display. Just as Sony said. The PS3 is powerful. But I doubt it's powerful enough to drive 7 players with those graphics on two 1080i HDTV's.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:31 PM

Guess what, you're probably going to be in for a shock when you hear this, but two Nintendo's DS's are cheaper than a PS3 and two HDTV's. Also, you may have to sit down for this one, the PS3 does not come with an HDTV, or even any sort of display at all. And, even more of a shocker, the PS3 only has one DVD drive meaning it can only play one movie. According to initial reports adding more TV's to the PS3 doesn't seem to help with this single DVD problem. The DS is just a little more practical.

Oh, also Sony hasn't said games will support 7 controllers. They say the PS3 will support 7 bluetooth devices.

Now why would they pick 7 you're wondering? Bluetooth supports a max of 8 devices. The PS3 is one bluetooth device, leaving you with 7. They've already said there will be bluetooth cameras and other accessories available.

I think the other TV is meant to be a heads up display. Just as Sony said. The PS3 is powerful. But I doubt it's powerful enough to drive 7 players with those graphics on two 1080i HDTV's.
Careful, he is gonna correct you and say 1080p

-Owl

spatterson
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 03:05 PM

DS comes out...

PS3 announced...

Rubbish

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 03:23 PM

i fail to see your point or any sort of relevant comparison. Are you saying the DS is like the PS3?

The DS is a better option because it comes with a screen? you lost me

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 03:27 PM

i fail to see your point or any sort of relevant comparison. Are you saying the DS is like the PS3?

The DS is a better option because it comes with a screen? you lost me
I'm saying

a) The PS3 can't play more than one movie at a time. I don't know where you got that idea.
b) A lot of people will never have two HDTV's to play it with, as where every single DS owner does indeed have two screens.
c) I doubt many games will support more than 4 controllers.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 03:40 PM

goMac, your analogy lost me. You're trying to compare playing two separate PS3's with one dual-screen DS? Did I miss a meeting this morning?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 03:42 PM

I'm saying

a) The PS3 can't play more than one movie at a time. I don't know where you got that idea.
Perhaps it was the demo that played something like 30 independent HD streams the other day and sony mentioning that separate people could access the PS3 at the same time.

They also seem to be embracing many standards like every CD and DVD format and SD and other media cards.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by starman
goMac, your analogy lost me. You're trying to compare playing two separate PS3's with one dual-screen DS? Did I miss a meeting this morning?

Mike
I think he is because I said the PS3 can drive to monitors at once so naturally a "DS can already do that" comes up.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 03:44 PM

This is an upcoming game fottage:

Those screenshots are very impressive. If games truly look like that I may have to finally sell my Nintendo and get one!

spatterson
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 03:47 PM

I'm saying

b) A lot of people will never have two HDTV's to play it with, as where every single DS owner does indeed have two screens.
c) I doubt many games will support more than 4 controllers.
I fail to see how compairing two complelty diffrent gaming devices justifies your opinion. The DS is a small, spacecraft looking handheld, that has little gaming power. Then compair that to the PS3, which is a console built for power, graphics, and user experience. The PS3 has the ability to let the user deside which hardware they want too hook up to it. You don't have to run out and get two HDTV sets to plug into this thing.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 03:48 PM

I think he is because I said the PS3 can drive to monitors at once so naturally a "DS can already do that" comes up.
I thought that's what he meant, but that makes ZERO sense since one screen on the DS isn't interactive.

\/\/

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 04:16 PM

if it can run two screens, it can do two player games off one PS3, as opposed to split screen

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
if it can run two screens, it can do two player games off one PS3, as opposed to split screen
Exactly. I dont play split screen cuz I hate it. But two TV's hooked up playing the same game is an awesome idea. The other TV could even be in another room if you have a long enough cable.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 05:59 PM

Exactly. I dont play split screen cuz I hate it. But two TV's hooked up playing the same game is an awesome idea. The other TV could even be in another room if you have a long enough cable.
If the TV was in another room, you'd be out of bluetooth range for the controllers.

Like I said, I don't know if the PS3 could handle this well. You'd be taking a nice speed hit, not to mention your vram would be halved (half for each display). It's one thing to drive high quality graphics on a 1080p display. It's another to try and drive those same graphics on two displays. I would think Sony said the second screen could act as a heads up display because the console may not be powerful enough to drive two displays.

I'm sure some games could do it, but I wouldn't expect the high end games to be able to. Hell, Halo 1 already got pretty choppy on an XBox on a single normal TV in 4 person multiplayer.

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 07:14 PM

If the TV was in another room, you'd be out of bluetooth range for the controllers.
30ft.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 07:18 PM

30ft.
Really? I've tested my bluetooth palm in an open room, I probably got about 20. Not to mention walls have the nasty habit of killing Bluetooth reception.

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 07:23 PM

Really? I've tested my bluetooth palm in an open room, I probably got about 20. Not to mention walls have the nasty habit of killing Bluetooth reception.
oh so 10 feet shorter, there goes my point

BTW which BT 2.0 devices did you test? I didn't know there were any on the market yet for you to do such rigorus testing with.

So since the PS3 will suck because acording to you the range is 20 feet not 30 is there anything else that makes the revolution 1000x better?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MrSundberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 07:30 PM

That's what the USB ports are for.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 07:35 PM

Is this a typo?

Slated for release in Spring 2006, the PlayStation 3 features a PowerPC-base core running at 3.2 GHz, 256MB of XDR RAM at 3.2 GHz, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM at 700 MHz, Bluetooth wireless controllers, built in WiFi (802.11b/g), and RSX, a state-of-the-art next-gen GPU by Nvidia with a clock speed of 550 MHz.
Source

I knew the Xbox is based of the PowerPC, but is the cell processor in the P3 based of PowerPC architecture too? Nintendo just announced their new console, and it is also based of the PowerPC. This may be good for Apple, especially in the gaming/3D sector.

MrSundberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gururafiki
Is this a typo?

Source

I knew the Xbox is based of the PowerPC, but is the cell processor in the P3 based of PowerPC architecture too? Nintendo just announced their new console, and it is also based of the PowerPC. This may be good for Apple, especially in the gaming/3D sector.
The PPE part of it uses a PPC ISA, yes.

Mafia
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:48 PM

will buy over xbox 360. but i will beg sony to do something about the boomering.

EDIT: i mean controller, whoops.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

powertrippin
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by CIA
found the videos, but I'm not an IGN member.. Anyone know a way in or other sources? (for the high rez versions)
www.bugmenot.com

Super Mario
May 17, 2005, 08:30 PM

The videos on IGN shocked me. I have been in shock for a day since I saw them. The motorbiking one was like cgi from a movie. The fps with the army was too much for me. I can't tell you how many times I replayed the video to be sure it wasn't prerendered. Then the boxing one, Fight Night, amazing. The Alfred Molina demo, shocking. Can't believe it. I am very shocked at the level PS3 has reached.

Mafia
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
The videos on IGN shocked me. I have been in shock for a day since I saw them. The motorbiking one was like cgi from a movie. The fps with the army was too much for me. I can't tell you how many times I replayed the video to be sure it wasn't prerendered. Then the boxing one, Fight Night, amazing. The Alfred Molina demo, shocking. Can't believe it. I am very shocked at the level PS3 has reached.
i'd like to know "honestly" how many of those weren't pre-rendered.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mafia
i'd like to know "honestly" how many of those weren't pre-rendered.
I don't think they would be stupid enough to show prerendered material, I mean any CD based system can play that. I would bet it was in-game footage but when you have AI and 2 players the graphics should take a hit.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
They do not support pay-sites. expect any real ones to be deleted by bugmenot or IGN.

-Owl

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 12:08 AM

G

WRONG!

"Out of the box, PlayStation 3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers, which will be usable for nearly 24 hours before recharging is needed"

PLUS it can also connect to a PSP at the SAME TIME and you can use the PSP as a controller, it also supports USB controllers at the same time. So that is at least 10 people connected to one system at a time.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
May 19, 2005, 12:09 AM

Just read a little something about the PS3 controller over at wired.com - seems like the reason for the funky shape of the controller, is due to the fact, they're being sued for millions of dollars, for patent infringment...

Maybe like Apple's iPod shuffle - do not eat warning. Sony will have a - do not throw, not a boomarang warning.
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by lunaticbunny
Just read a little something about the PS3 controller over at wired.com - seems like the reason for the funky shape of the controller, is due to the fact, they're being sued for millions of dollars, for patent infringment...

Maybe like Apple's iPod shuffle - do not eat warning. Sony will have a - do not throw, not a boomarang warning.
It think it is because of the rumble motors inside, not the shape of it. So I would have to say false.

Anywho, here is a pic of the hidden card readers on the front

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2417&p=2

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 12:32 AM

Like I said, I don't know if the PS3 could handle this well. You'd be taking a nice speed hit, not to mention your vram would be halved (half for each display). It's one thing to drive high quality graphics on a 1080p display. It's another to try and drive those same graphics on two displays. I would think Sony said the second screen could act as a heads up display because the console may not be powerful enough to drive two displays.
Wrong again:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2417&p=5

If you are fortunate enough to have two 16:9 HD displays, the PS3 will support a panorama 32:9 viewing mode that will span both displays.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2005, 01:25 AM

I hate to rain on the Sony fanboy parade but:

""Epic Games's Mark Rein has gone on record to say that "in addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.""

So.. uhhh... yep. Sony's pulling the same old thing. Most of the demos weren't actually rendered on the PS3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615531p1.html

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2005, 01:29 AM

Wrong again:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2417&p=5

If you are fortunate enough to have two 16:9 HD displays, the PS3 will support a panorama 32:9 viewing mode that will span both displays.
Uhhhh dude... Do you know how this would work. Panoramic view would only render to one buffer. The PS3 could probably handle that. Each time you add another player to a game, you add another buffer.

You would think that if the PS3 supported multiplayer over more than one TV they would be tooting their horn about it, right?

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 01:29 AM

I hate to rain on the Sony fanboy parade but:

""Epic Games's Mark Rein has gone on record to say that "in addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.""

So.. uhhh... yep. Sony's pulling the same old thing. Most of the demos weren't actually rendered on the PS3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615531p1.html
ya the nintendo footage was much more impressive

The 360's footage is all real time running at 1/3 the power of the final hardware.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2005, 01:36 AM

ya the nintendo footage was much more impressive

The 360's footage is all real time running at 1/3 the power of the final hardware.
Yeah, I know, Nintendo was lame.

I'm actually unveiling my own console! It's called the goMacStation. It has awesome graphics!

: hooks up PC to a TV and fires up Half Life 2 :

Look! It has awesome graphics! And it even runs Half Life 2!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 03:51 AM

Image this - a headset with a display screen for each eye, linked to the dual output of the PS3. Because of the stereoscopic effect, what you will see is not only the movie quality graphics - but in 3D ! All they need to do is rig the headset with movement sensors, and you've got a full-blown VR system. And the best thing is that this technology now exists - none of this is make-believe. If I'm correct, the only thing that would stop this appearing absolutely real is infinite depth of field - although you could get really sophisticated and read what the eye is trying to focus on and create an illusion of depth of field...

Awesome !

cain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 11:14 PM

I don't doubt HDTV one bit, the first TV I buy on my own will be HD, I plan to get one before the next wave of consoles.

BUT, having 2 TVs side by side, that will never be popular.
You're absolutely right that it probably won't be a mainstream setup and most gamers will never make use of the two side by side displays. Just like most gamers don't have a fully configured 5.1 surround sound system.

However, I guarantee you that many high end setups will make use of this. It's a niche market but a lucrative one.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jun 28, 2005, 07:51 PM

What we know so far:
At $399 it won't be cheap...

I cringe just thinking of how other markets will handle this price-tag.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6128295.html

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules