Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook better looks, AlBook better design

TiBook better looks, AlBook better design
Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 02:48 AM

To me the TiBook had a better look. It was sharper and more sleek. While the AlBook is slightly larger and alot sturdier than the TiBook, essentially placed side by side, the TiBook stands out more while the AlBook looks more like a toy given its smooth rounded corners on the screen.

If Apple would retain the two tone paint scheme and sharp sleeker edges, I feel we could move away from this VW beetle influence crap on Mac products. Coworkers already deride the Mac as the gay computer and visits to any StarBucks seem to confirm this.

None of my coworkers ever considered the TiBook less than masculine 'cept the hinges, however, many design elements on the AlBook appear gracefully feminine much to my chagrin.

On a sidenote, the Aluminum Cinema Displays are a huge step up from the previous plastic bubble candy models. The ACD 20,23 and 30 are sleek yet sharp in a small form factor. It combines the right blend of masculine edges and feminine curves.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rev2Liv
Coworkers already deride the Mac as the gay computer and visits to any StarBucks seem to confirm this.

None of my coworkers ever considered the TiBook less than masculine 'cept the hinges, however, many design elements on the AlBook appear gracefully feminine much to my chagrin.
It must be difficult to work in an environment where your co-workers are so insecure about their sexual orientation that a slight cosmetic difference in computer design throws them into such panic. Inasmuch as studies show that those who are most homophobic likely harbor repressed homosexual tendencies, you may want to advise them to look into counseling to resolve these issues.

Personally, I'm happy to let people swing whichever way they're born to swing (it being none of my business), and to choose my computers based on how well they work and how well they're designed.

BTW, I have an AlBook and my wife has a TiBook, and I find them equally attractive tools that are totally unrelated to sexual orientation. Or by "gay" did you mean that the AlBook was happier than the TiBook? Maybe that's because its paint doesn't peel?

Note to forum moderator: would you allow posts that derided a computer design because it's preferred by, say, Negroes?

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 04:19 AM

*laughs* Interesting comments. Well, I have owned an Al book and sold it for a Ti, which I now own. I love this Ti book. I find it more than suitable for my needs, and it 'looks' awsome. I do agree that the Ti series has a way better look than the new Powerbooks. Different tones of grey and silver...as apposed to shiney Al. The only negative about the Ti is just the hinges, which are scaring me a bit..since some force is needed to open the lid..and I get squeeking. (Not good). Other than that....it's excellent. I would prefer a Ti over an Al anyday!
"I cluck, therefor I am."

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jacob
*laughs* Interesting comments. Well, I have owned an Al book and sold it for a Ti, which I now own. I love this Ti book. I find it more than suitable for my needs, and it 'looks' awsome. I do agree that the Ti series has a way better look than the new Powerbooks. Different tones of grey and silver...as apposed to shiney Al. The only negative about the Ti is just the hinges, which are scaring me a bit..since some force is needed to open the lid..and I get squeeking. (Not good). Other than that....it's excellent. I would prefer a Ti over an Al anyday!
If your hinges crackle while opening you can/should lubricate them with a very small drop of high quality bike chain lube or something equal. I did so and it works perfectly for 3 1/2 years. You have to remove the magnesia covers in order to see the hinge mechanism.

And yes, i also prefer the look of the Ti´s over the Albooks ones

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Naplander
Senior User
Sep 30, 2005, 05:59 AM

I've seen way too many Ti books with broken hinges and chipped paint to say I prefer the look over the Al books.

Then again, maybe I am biased

(15" Al book below my hands)

templetalker
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2005, 07:36 AM

I'm Gay In a Happy Way!! With my Ti Book

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2005, 07:36 AM

Just throw a sticker for your favorite nfl team on the aluminum and that takes care of that...
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 08:39 AM

Hi,

I thought I was the only one who thought that the titaniums looked better. They look more portable and more classic to me with the 2 tones, and when I have seen them on tv or in the movies that are just more eye catching than the aluminums that i have seen. I really like the aluminums also, but like the original poster said, more for what it offers - speed, airport reception, etc. But with a pismo that does most of my portable needs, I picked up a ti400 pb for cheap that has no paint chips, stays cool, and has amazing wireless reception. And my battery life kills the 15" 1.25 that I used to have. I also enjoy the fact that I can get to the hard drive and optical drive which I upgraded in less than 20 minutes.

I really like the pismo, but I have to say, I am using my titanium more and more. I think it's getting to a point where I may even sell the pismo, since the titanium does everything I need.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 30, 2005, 08:47 AM

I'm homosexual and own an AlBook. It's a lot, LOT squarer than the Pismo I still have. (Go Pismo go!)

I happen to prefer the looks of the AlBooks over that of the TiBooks. It's really just personal taste.

tooki

Dewaine
Sep 30, 2005, 09:31 AM

I am Caucasian (mixed European) , heterosexual, Catholic, Degreed, drive a pickup….. And I like my Aluminum 12” PB. Best computer I have ever owned, and I think it looks great.

I hope the listing of our personal lifestyles/beliefs is not required on posting from now on....

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by kmarketing
Hi,
*snip*
I also enjoy the fact that I can get to the hard drive and optical drive which I upgraded in less than 20 minutes.

I really like the pismo, but I have to say, I am using my titanium more and more. I think it's getting to a point where I may even sell the pismo, since the titanium does everything I need.
Sorry to derail the thread a little bit, but can one upgrade a Ti the way that it sports a DVD burner instead of a combo drive?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 30, 2005, 09:58 AM

A little bit?!? That's total derailment. Please start a new thread if first for the answer yields no luck (hint: google can answer this question for you.).

tooki

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2005, 10:44 AM

To me the TiBook had a better look. It was sharper and more sleek. While the AlBook is slightly larger and alot sturdier than the TiBook, essentially placed side by side, the TiBook stands out more while the AlBook looks more like a toy given its smooth rounded corners on the screen.

If Apple would retain the two tone paint scheme and sharp sleeker edges, I feel we could move away from this VW beetle influence crap on Mac products. Coworkers already deride the Mac as the gay computer and visits to any StarBucks seem to confirm this.

On a sidenote, the Aluminum Cinema Displays are a huge step up from the previous plastic bubble candy models. The ACD 20,23 and 30 are sleek yet sharp in a small form factor. It combines the right blend of masculine edges and feminine curves.

Uh, I'm gay... and I prefer the TiBook's look. Your coworkers are homophobes, and apparently you can't think for yourself because you agree right along with them. Be careful about stereotyping people, because I don't fit the gay stereotype. AND what the hell is wrong with a VW? Whats wrong with having a different taste in consumer products than you? People like what they like, so get over it. Telling people that they have to move from a different class of tastes in consumer products is so.... backwards.... I am rather offended...
( Last edited by irockdabari; Sep 30, 2005 at 12:19 PM. )
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

jæd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2005, 12:07 PM

And that would make you and your coworkers the homophobic idiots.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 01:28 PM

Wow, what a distasteful homophobe.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2005, 02:54 PM

i'm sorry you see things that way. i'm in a creative field, i'm straight, i don't care about that stuff. i have a powerbook as well as an ibook, does that mean i can go both ways?

any why is everyone into sleek/slim/flat? the majority of adults are CRTs in a flatscreen world afaic.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 06:24 PM

What a beauty : http://beta.news.com.com/1606-2-732034.html?

I do prefer the AlBook design, but the thickness of the TiBook is so much nicer...

templetalker
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by pat++
What a beauty : http://beta.news.com.com/1606-2-732034.html?

I do prefer the AlBook design, but the thickness of the TiBook is so much nicer...

"Soon all of your home electronics will be this color!" hahahahahah harrrrr...so true!

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 10:29 PM

No offence. but what does owning a particular powerbook suddenly have anything to do with your sexuality?...Am I gay because I own a Tibook? Damn..better get myself an Al right away...
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Rev2Liv  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by jæd
And that would make you and your coworkers the homophobic idiots.
'heh, we have often accused each other of being homophobes after 6 rounds of drinks . I honestly did not intend to offend anyone, but culturally, I did not grow up in an area where being politically correct, uptight and serious was stressed. In fact I do have alot of friends that are same sex oriented, but they are lighthearted enough to joke about certain aspects of it.

I did not intend this thread so people could come out of the MacNN forum "closet" either. It was just a lighthearted observation. I'm more libertarian when it comes to issues of free speech. Insofar as stereotyping goes, yes, it takes a certain kind of man to appreciate the styling of a VW Beetle just like it takes a certain type of man to wear a pink iPod to the gym.

Regardless, while I lament the fact that our society has become so uptight and serious that even the slight mention of anything controversial brands one as ignorant, bigoted and stupid, as a respectfull member of this board, I will attempt to be sensitive to the needs of others.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 06:11 AM

"culturally, I did not grow up in an area where being politically correct, uptight and serious was stressed."

What a delightfully offhanded way of not apologizing for your insensitive comments, while simultaneously accusing those who are offended of being the ones with a problem.

You're surprised that people were offended--that would be because you didn't think, and you're not thinking now. Your lack of experience and exposure to the world doesn't excuse your words--learn to take responsibility for them, rather than accusing everyone else of having a problem.

"I did not intend this thread so people could come out of the MacNN forum "closet" either."

I'm sure you didn't--I wouldn't mistake you for someone who would have any sensitivity after your earlier comments, but it's never too late to start.

"It was just a lighthearted observation. I'm more libertarian when it comes to issues of free speech."

I'm sure it was to you--and no one is denying your right to free speech, you'll notice, so I hope you don't start waving that flag. After all, it's that same right that lets me tell you exactly how you look: like an ignorant hick. Ah, freedom--isn't it grand?

"Regardless, while I lament the fact that our society has become so uptight and serious that even the slight mention of anything controversial brands one as ignorant, bigoted and stupid, as a respectfull member of this board, I will attempt to be sensitive to the needs of others."

HOW VERY BIG OF YOU! Seriously, this is a grade-A, prime ASSHOLE comment right here. Lament away--but know that nothing you said was "controversial". It happens every single day, and there's nothing special or interesting in the least about you.

Dewaine
Oct 1, 2005, 11:01 AM

I am offended by those making such a huge deal out of this. I am offended when the words homophobe, racist, and bigot are thrown around. I am Catholic. If someone disagrees with my Catholic faith it does not necessary mean they are anti-catholic bigots. If someone disagrees with the homosexual lifestyle it does not necessary mean they are homophobes. Calling people names and judging them is not the way to conduct ones self on a forum about computers.

I agree that the original post was not in good taste. But the mob like assault he has received since then is inappropriate.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2005, 11:46 AM

oops! for a minute there i thought i'd logged into the lounge (a place i "religiously" avoid).

my girlfriend is bi, and has a 15" alubook. now i'm totally confused...
which laptop is the bi one? and what does a celibate person use??

occasionally, people post careless remarks, and i think it's important they are called on it;
still, i come here for mac-specific info and speculation...
let's stay on track here (and post the "other" stuff at the lounge...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 12:40 PM

"But the mob like assault he has received since then is inappropriate."

It's not a "mob assault"--it's individual people asserting their right to speak.

But yes, this is not the lounge, and so I agree that unless we want to transfer the thread there we need to find something substantive to say about powerbooks.

"If someone disagrees with the homosexual lifestyle it does not necessary mean they are homophobes."

Oh, that's cute--apparently sexuality is a "lifestyle". Sigh.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister

But yes, this is not the lounge, and so I agree that unless we want to transfer the thread there we need to find something substantive to say about powerbooks.
PowerBooks Rock.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 02:32 PM

I used to think that the TiBook was a great design (and in some ways, it still is). However, to me the aluminum PowerBooks are more... together. For one thing, the keyboard doesn't look like it was lifted from a PowerBook G3 (which it probably was). Also, a lot of the design of the titanium model reduces the sexiness when you're actually using it. Just try lifting the lid to the exact position you want in an elegant way, or connecting a USB mouse to the back.

There's little I'd change aesthetically on the current design. What I'd really like to see, if it's feasible, would be a carbon-fibre shell that reduces both the thickness and weight.

And by the way...

1000th post!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 04:00 PM

"I used to think that the TiBook was a great design (and in some ways, it still is). However, to me the aluminum PowerBooks are more... together. For one thing, the keyboard doesn't look like it was lifted from a PowerBook G3 (which it probably was). Also, a lot of the design of the titanium model reduces the sexiness when you're actually using it. Just try lifting the lid to the exact position you want in an elegant way, or connecting a USB mouse to the back."

That's how I feel as well.

disgruntled goat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 04:13 PM

I'm a fan of the AL books myself.

Dewaine
Oct 1, 2005, 08:53 PM

I must say again that I really like my AL PB. I like simple and functional, and the AL PB are just about perfect for me.

Also, to show you how shallow I really am...... The only TV show I watch is "24" and I get a kick out of seeing the main characters using their Al PB's. There seem to be many shots of the glowy apple on the back......

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2005, 09:08 PM

From the video:

"Titanium is better than say.. Aluminum which doesn't do to well with heat"

: snicker :
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Olorin
Oct 2, 2005, 05:29 PM

Oh no you insulted me! I'm gay, and I'm insulted! OH NO hopefully the government will pass some more laws to shelter me from the world. How insensitive everyone is! OH NO WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For god sakes shut the **** up! He didn't mean to insult anyone with is original post. He was just stating his opinion about the looks of the ALbook compared to the TIbook. Most males find the TiBook more masculine and better looking all around than the ALbook. That is just a fact of life I think. No one cares which on you personally like more. No offense was meant. You guys are a bunch of stupid ****s.
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Olorin
Most males find the TiBook more masculine and better looking all around than the ALbook. That is just a fact of life I think. No one cares which on you personally like more. No offense was meant. You guys are a bunch of stupid ****s.

most males...huh? where do you get your information on this?

well, at least YOU didn't say anything insulting...

thread crying out for a lock???
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules