Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Languages are Nill?

Languages are Nill?
templetalker
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 09:27 AM

Hi Mac Friends,

I was playing around inside of my 'Character Palette' under Unicode (this is for languages).
Any whoo I discovered that a lot of languages are missing? I do have Tibetan and Russian for which I am grateful, I even have Thai & Arabic, but I am missing more than I have.

Missing:

Tagalog, Tai Le, Limbu, Tagbanwa, Georgian, etc, etc.

Is this regular for you folks too?

PS: I am giving my computer to a friend who's starting a youth hostel in Paris.

Thank You

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 10:09 AM

Character Palette will show you the entire Unicode range, but only those characters for which you have fonts installed will be visible. I believe the secondary OS X installation disc has some optional extras that include more language fonts like Georgian and Armenian. Some languages require third-party Unicode fonts. Tagalog has used the Roman alphabet ever since Spanish colonial rule in the Philippines, so I don't think you're missing much there unless you're a very specialized linguist. Some languages are still waiting for people to develop good fonts and input systems.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 11:29 AM

There are fonts who cover the complete Unicode range like Code2000/Code2001.

http://home.att.net/~jameskass/

templetalker  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Character Palette will show you the entire Unicode range, but only those characters for which you have fonts installed will be visible. I believe the secondary OS X installation disc has some optional extras that include more language fonts like Georgian and Armenian. Some languages require third-party Unicode fonts. Tagalog has used the Roman alphabet ever since Spanish colonial rule in the Philippines, so I don't think you're missing much there unless you're a very specialized linguist. Some languages are still waiting for people to develop good fonts and input systems.
Thanx Captain & Tetenal...I see I see. I lost my Panther disk overseas when I gave the box to a friend! Oh well, I will be getting a new mac soon so hopefully I can grab those fonts. Tetenal I wasn't to sure about your Code 2001; is this some sort of Super Font I take it? Thanks Folks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by templetalker
Tetenal I wasn't to sure about your Code 2001; is this some sort of Super Font I take it?
Yes, Code2000 and Code2001 are some sort of "super font" if you want to call them like that, that together cover the complete Unicode range of glyphs (or almost at least).

If you need to display those glyphs that are not covered by any fonts bundled with Mac OS X you could install them. If you don't view text in such languages, I wouldn't bother. Those fonts are huge which may slow down your computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules