Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Any experience using Cross Over?

Any experience using Cross Over?
AppleTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 07:36 PM

I've been reading about CrossOver ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ) today and like the idea of running MS apps without needing Windows installed. All I really need is IE and Firefox for checking website I design on my MBP.

Has anyone used it and what is your assessment of it?

Thanks

nospamboz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 02:34 AM

I've used Crossover Mac on occasion. I even bought it because I like the idea of what these guys are doing.
It's cute for what it does: translate Windows GUI to native GUI (Mac in this case).

Keep in mind, though, it *is* a translation, and details often get lost. You say you want to check Firefox. Why not use Firefox for MacOS? One reason could be that ports are not always complete. Well, neither are translations. If you test your website using MacOS Firefox or Crossover-ed Windows Firefox, there's no real guarantee it will work the same way on genuine Windows Firefox.

It would probably be best to test using BootCamp or VMWare or Parallels. Of course, for those you still need a licensed copy of Windows.

MacWorld had a look at various Windows-on-the-Mac options recently, but it's already out-of-date (VMWare is now beta 3).

Macworld: Feature: Four ways to Windows, Page 1

Personally, I use VMWare Fusion for my MacWindows. It's going to be a great product when released. Definitely worth buying.

HTH

AppleTalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 03:52 AM

Thanks for that information. I guess from your advice then this is not the alternative best suited for me.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 05:23 PM

If you just need IE6 then this is a great option. My I have it on the mini my mum uses as there is one of the sites she likes to visit uses load of IE only stuff. Make sure you have plenty ram though, it was bit of a dog before I did an upgrade.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 10:24 PM

I've got both Crossover and Parallels.

Crossover is limited in overall compatibility, but this new version works fine with IE, and Office 2003. It also works with AOPA flight planner. Plus, it only uses less than 1% CPU at idle.

Parallels of course is much more compatible because it uses Windows. Coherence mode is cute, but the program consumes 11% CPU when in background.

Depends entirely on your needs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules