Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > When will you upgrade to Leopard? Will you upgrade at all?

When will you upgrade to Leopard? Will you upgrade at all?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 09:08 PM

I do not intend to upgrade to Leopard for at least six to eight months - maybe at version 10.5.5. When it has reached a certain maturity.

I am pretty satisfied with Tiger.

I'm not even sure if I will upgrade at all.

The main reason for upgrading to Leopard would be a better performance in graphic applications like Lightroom, Photoshop, or Final Cut Pro. Which would mean: enhanced 64-bit performance.

The tons of features are not really catching my eyes. Maybe there are some good ones, but I haven't got the time to browse through 300 new features and see if I can use one or two. I am really more a fan of a lean operating system. More features are like people with more body fat: they collapse earlier than slim people.

k2director
Senior User
Oct 19, 2007, 09:23 PM

I'll be upgrading the second I can get my hands on it.

I like Tiger plenty, but Leopard offers too much to ignore. I won't mind some rough edges for the first couple of months...

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 09:42 PM

Assuming it goes on sale at the Apple store at 1800, I should be up on at least one machine an hour later.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 19, 2007, 09:51 PM

I'm going to wait on the John Siracusa review at Ars. I happen to agree with most of his positions in the past, his review will be useful.

So far, Apple apparently cancelled (or silently delayed) several of the killer features I was hoping for. Resolution Independence, Quartz 2D Extreme, and ZFS. That leaves Time Machine and 64-bit system libraries (Cocoa only, for the full treatment). Plus weird-looking menu bar & Dock.

I'll wait and see. Tiger is pretty darned good. With the extra years' delay, and at the usual OS price, it seems like they should have more of the ducks in order than they do today.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2007, 09:53 PM

I'm waiting for a few minor revisions. Not only is this version more expensive for students, but so far it doesn't have anything compelling that makes me "need" it. We'll see.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 09:58 PM

I'll upgrade my parents about a month after release... mostly for Time Machine, since most OS X backup software sucks (currently using a shell script I wrote).

64-bit is really just about access to more RAM per process; aside from that 64-bit doesn't really 'enhance performance' and sometimes it even hurts performance.

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 10:04 PM

October 26th. Pre-ordered for delivery that day.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2007, 10:06 PM

I'm an ADC member and I've been running Leopard for a while now. I'll be erasing and installing the latest build by 6:20 PM Eastern on Friday.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 10:27 PM

It's already on pre-order. I will wait a few days, maybe a week, to see if it causes problems for people. If it's too buggy, I'll wait after a few revisions.

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
It's already on pre-order. I will wait a few days, maybe a week, to see if it causes problems for people. If it's too buggy, I'll wait after a few revisions.
I'm not worried. I don't run anything that's mission-critical. If it doesn't work out, I'll restore from the backup image.

DogGone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 10:49 PM

Straight away. I've just put in a 750 gig drive for my iTunes library. Will run Leopard off a 300 gig drive and have the original Tiger OS on an older 120 gig drive. That's my backup if something goes wrong, which I doubt will.

Then I'll be using a 500 gig FW drive for time machine. For me that is worth the upgrade plus all the new features will keep me amused for a while.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 11:17 PM

Probably the 27th, once I get a chance to get to the local Apple store. Or maybe a few days later, if I find out I can save money at the college bookstore.

I am looking forward to the John Siracusa review though. Always very informative and well-written.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 12:15 AM

Mid- November

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2007, 12:21 AM

I'm backing up my system on the 25th, and I'm going to the Apple Store with my iPhone credit on the 26th. Leopard should be on my iMac no later than the 27th.

I'm pretty jazzed for Leopard. I think the new Finder in and of itself is enough to make me upgrade.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by k2director View Post
I'll be upgrading the second I can get my hands on it.

I like Tiger plenty, but Leopard offers too much to ignore. I won't mind some rough edges for the first couple of months...
What feature attracts you most?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 01:20 AM

As soon as possible. 10.4 annoys me. The Finder sucks so much that any change is an improvement. Even another sucky Finder.. just that it sucks in a different way.

#$"#%"#$ Finder!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Curiosity
Senior User
Oct 20, 2007, 01:23 AM

I am going to wait for a few revisions before getting it, if at all. I like Tiger. I might even wait until I get my next Mac.

k2director
Senior User
Oct 20, 2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
What feature attracts you most?
So many!
* iChat screen sharing for family tech support, and picture sharing.
* To Dos and Notes built into Mail.
* Spaces (so that when I'm writing, I'm not distracted by a web browser, mail program, itunes, ichat buddy list, etc.)
* Quickview and Cover Flow in Finder
* Way more robust iCal for managing meetings
* Easier networking between household computers, and no spinning beachball when you forget to dismount a networked computer.
* Easy backing up with Time Machine.

The list goes on... Plus, I'm always pleasantly surprised by new features that I never thought I'd use, but end up loving. A few OS's ago it was iChat. In Panther, it was Expose. In Tiger, it was the Dashboard. In each case, I thought I'd never use these features, and I ended up loving them. Who knows what surprise Leopard holds...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 01:37 AM

The main reason for upgrading to Leopard would be a better performance in graphic applications like Lightroom, Photoshop, or Final Cut Pro. Which would mean: enhanced 64-bit performance.
Do Lightroom or Photoshop come in 64-bit binaries? I didn't know they did.

The tons of features are not really catching my eyes. Maybe there are some good ones, but I haven't got the time to browse through 300 new features and see if I can use one or two. I am really more a fan of a lean operating system. More features are like people with more body fat: they collapse earlier than slim people.
If you want lean, Panther is a much better choice than Tiger. Tiger added a lot of features, many of questionable utility. It seems like the worst place to stop — it's not lean like Panther, and it's not polished and powerful like Leopard. Personally, I'll take my system with a fast Spotlight, easy backup and a Finder that doesn't lock up, thanks.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 03:19 AM

Mine should be delivered on the magic day, but I might hold-off until after the weekend to install it, just to see what shakes lose loose the first couple of days.
I do plan on cloning my 10.4.x boot drive, however, just in case.

edit: fixed 3 am sleepy typo.
( Last edited by Cadaver; Oct 20, 2007 at 06:57 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 03:33 AM

Considering how nice the reports of the last beta seem to have been, I'm not really too worried about the GM nuking all my external hard drives or whatever.
Chuck
___

PaperNotes
Oct 20, 2007, 03:37 AM

Pointless discussion. Installing and booting Leopard on an external drive will take 1/2 hour. It also doesn't take long to back up Tiger, install Leopard on the internal and restore from back up if things aren't looking good. If you're going to buy the upgrade on the first day or in a year the price will be the same so you might as well choose from one of the two options above and install on day one. This isn't Windows and the year isn't 2000 back when it took ages to install, back up or recover and we needed a dainty number of service packs before things worked.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 08:35 AM

I'm probably going to pick it up the day of or the next day

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2007, 08:38 AM

I'll be updating the second it comes out, just because it runs faster than Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger does on my new iMac and I like the new interface. Beyond that there isn't really that much in Mac OS X Leopard that excites me.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 10:53 AM

I was overseas when Tiger was released and even after upgrading didn't feel that it was that substantial compared to Panther. However, I'm extremely EXCITED about Leopard's release and can't wait to install 10.5 on my aging 1.25 GHz Powerbook. I don't have the money right now to spring for a new MacBook or iMac so I figured I'll upgrade my memory and install Leopard. That way (for me), it'll feel like a brand new computer with a brand new OS.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 20, 2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm waiting for a few minor revisions. Not only is this version more expensive for students, but so far it doesn't have anything compelling that makes me "need" it. We'll see.
Check with your bookstore--while online and at the Apple Store the educational discount isn't as much as you would like, your bookstore may still have it at the bigger discount.

I pre-ordered through Univ of WI-Madison's Tech Store, and it came to $72.80 with tax. I can't pick it up until at least that Monday, but it's worth the ~$60 savings.

I'll upgrade after I check it out on a spare drive against some of the more important apps I use (I'm looking at you, MATLAB). If all goes well, I'll upgrade the main drive; if not, at least I got in on the Leopard train while I'm still a student and can get the cheaper license.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 11:43 AM

The day it comes out. I still have my 10.4.10 install DVD to revert back to if all else fails.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2007, 11:44 AM

i will get it this friday.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Check with your bookstore--while online and at the Apple Store the educational discount isn't as much as you would like, your bookstore may still have it at the bigger discount.

I pre-ordered through Univ of WI-Madison's Tech Store, and it came to $72.80 with tax. I can't pick it up until at least that Monday, but it's worth the ~$60 savings.

I'll upgrade after I check it out on a spare drive against some of the more important apps I use (I'm looking at you, MATLAB). If all goes well, I'll upgrade the main drive; if not, at least I got in on the Leopard train while I'm still a student and can get the cheaper license.
I'll do that-but at my school the book store itself doesn't carry Mac OS. The Apple Store on campus does. While it's kind of excessive to call this one room (maybe 10X14') an "Apple Store" they do offer direct Apple prices. I'll check anyway.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If you want lean, Panther is a much better choice than Tiger. Tiger added a lot of features, many of questionable utility. It seems like the worst place to stop — it's not lean like Panther, and it's not polished and powerful like Leopard. Personally, I'll take my system with a fast Spotlight, easy backup and a Finder that doesn't lock up, thanks.
Good argument.

But I will still wait for a few revisions IF I do the switch.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Do Lightroom or Photoshop come in 64-bit binaries? I didn't know they did.
They don't. My mistake.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Pointless discussion. Installing and booting Leopard on an external drive will take 1/2 hour. It also doesn't take long to back up Tiger, install Leopard on the internal and restore from back up if things aren't looking good. If you're going to buy the upgrade on the first day or in a year the price will be the same so you might as well choose from one of the two options above and install on day one. This isn't Windows and the year isn't 2000 back when it took ages to install, back up or recover and we needed a dainty number of service packs before things worked.
? ? ? ? ? ?

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
I'll be updating the second it comes out, just because it runs faster than Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger does on my new iMac and I like the new interface. Beyond that there isn't really that much in Mac OS X Leopard that excites me.
How much faster does it run, and why? Can you link to a source?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 21, 2007, 12:24 AM

I think the poster's point is that if Leopard has some showstoppers for your particular needs, it is easy to go back to a pre-Leopard installation. While it is true that it is easier to do in OS X than in Windows, that does not make the discussion "pointless." Updating your backups, installation, testing, and (if needed) recovery still take time away from more productive tasks--some can spare that time, and some can't.

And if the discussion is so "pointless," why bother wasting your time and stating such? (Had to put that in there)

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'm going to wait on the John Siracusa review at Ars. I happen to agree with most of his positions in the past, his review will be useful.
I like Siracusa's reviews, but he often gets sidetracked on issues which I find to be nitpicking at best. It's like he can't see the forest for the trees.

Quartz 2D Extreme
I've talked to graphics programmers who don't think Siracusa has a very good grasp of the technology or its applications, so I'm a little leery of his pronouncements.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 03:43 AM

I'm looking forward to several of the new features, but most of all I am looking forward to smaller file sizes for games with the use of Core Animation.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 10:11 AM

As a student I won't upgrade all my machines until winter break. I'm not really afraid of stuff breaking, but I really don't need the distraction right before finals.
If I have time to back up my current setup, I might install it on an extra drive (except that would mean taking apart my raid setup).

Any word on whether I can use an internal drive for time machine rather than an external? Everything I have read says external, but I would rather split my mirror raid to use time machine (yes I know the mirror isn't backup, I use an external too).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by beez1717 View Post
I'm looking forward to several of the new features, but most of all I am looking forward to smaller file sizes for games with the use of Core Animation.
What makes you think Core Animation will cause games to be smaller?
Chuck
___

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 12:32 PM

I'm fighting a serious case of upgrade-itis. I plan to wait about one to two weeks for reports to come in about "issues".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 01:22 PM

I'll be updating our test lab almost straight away. Documenting and submitting stuff to Apple.
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghostdawg
Oct 23, 2007, 02:16 PM

I'm currently using Panther using a PPC mini and may wait to see how will it run on it. I may upgrade to Tiger when it's prices goes down.

A wait & see atitude...
G4 Mini | 1.25mhz | 512mb | 40gb | OS X 10.3.9 | 19in Hanns G LCD

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 02:25 PM

I'm helping someone who owns a retail store which is run on Macs, and they bought a Mac Mini a few weeks ago. They qualify for the up-to-date program, so they'll be getting 10.5 shortly after its released. So I'll have to figure out whether it's worth it to take the Mini and upgrade it (while making sure everything critical still works) after the store closes, in time for them to open the next day.

Can Time Machine back up files that are open? If so, I may be putting it on their Mini sooner rather than later, since they have some critical database files that need backing up and we haven't identified a solution just yet.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 03:10 PM

I have a pre-order that will be shipping to my work.

On Thursday night I will be making a clone of my PowerBook drive to my external backup drive. On Friday when I get home I will install 10.5.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 23, 2007, 03:17 PM

I'll be in line at release, wearing my t-shirt from panther's release and maybe even shining my little spotlight from tiger's, and installing on my 12" PBG4 1.5GHz as soon as I get home after that. Then I'll be coming on here and commenting, using my GMT+1300 position to hopefully get in some novel comments .

Thinking back it's hard to remember the big, useful things that made me all excited about tiger - pretty sure it wasn't any of spotlight, dashboard, new finder or whacky new mail look. Automator has been handy on occasion - things like combine PDFs; and Preview's PDF annotations. Looking forward, improved PDF annotations and now image annotations, finder cover flow and quick look, recordable actions in automator, and nice integrated features in Dictionary seem pretty tempting.

Again the big deals are lacking from my list hmmm - it seems to me that Spaces is going to require quite a big change in behaviour, and from what we've been used to in OS X for about six years at that; I don't even use Exposé much, I think at least in part for similar reasons.

pt123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 08:10 PM

It's tough to say. Apple list 9 GB of free space for Leopard and that is a lotta space for my Macbook. Also, quite a few apps didn't work when Tiger first came out. I will definitely wait and see.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 23, 2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
I'll be in line at release, wearing my t-shirt from panther's release and maybe even shining my little spotlight from tiger's, and installing on my 12" PBG4 1.5GHz as soon as I get home after that. Then I'll be coming on here and commenting, using my GMT+1300 position to hopefully get in some novel comments .
Aw heck, down south of the equator, it's got to be getting nice outside...why not install it while sitting outside the Apple store and post from there?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 23, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Aw heck, down south of the equator, it's got to be getting nice outside...why not install it while sitting outside the Apple store and post from there?
Tempting.. but I doubt I'd be able to find any wireless network I could get on. And it's not that great outside yet .. it was warmer in the last week of September, and more predictable!

Mac4Decade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 10:21 PM

When? ASAP! I preordered the family pack and hopefully it arrives before 6pm on Friday. Rumors say that Apple has some sort of secret handshake with UPS—instructing them not to deliver the goods (Leopard) until 6pm or the latest. I have no experience with that concept, just what I heard...

TiBook G4, MacBook Pro 1.83 Intel Core Duo

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Tempting.. but I doubt I'd be able to find any wireless network I could get on.
The Apple stores' wifi networks are not password protected. If you're sitting outside one, you should be able to use their signal.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 11:19 PM

I decided to preorder yesterday for delivery on Friday. I figure that I would upgrade anyway so this time why not do it right away. It'll give me something to play around with on the weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules