Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Blackberry Users: What are your favorite apps?

Blackberry Users: What are your favorite apps?
Ryknow215
Oct 5, 2008, 09:37 AM

I bought a Curve 8330 yesterday and I'm trying to load it up with some of the best apps available. So far, I've got Google/Gmail/Maps, Opera 4.1 for browsing, and PocketMac for syncing with the iBook.

Anyone have any free Blackberry apps that they'd recommend?
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2008, 10:24 AM

Yahoo Messenger.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2008, 05:02 PM

I've got the 8310 on o2. What network are you on?

The 8310 in silver on o2 is supposed to come with sat nav software which will be incredibly useful, for some reason it's not on mine but I'm going to query them about that.

Ryknow215  (op)
Oct 6, 2008, 08:26 AM

I use Verizon. I'm not sure if I have the sat nav software either. I know that the "Maps" feature will give you a view of where you are at that moment, but I haven't found yet if it can work as a GPS device.

Some dream apps:
-An iTunes store app like the iPhone! Could only offer iTunes Plus songs/albums, but I'm ok with that.
-Firefox (Mini? Minimo?) Opera is good, but it's not great.
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 02:15 PM

jmIrc, Ramble IM

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2008, 01:05 AM

I'm biased - but I like Pocket Informant for the BlackBerry

But seriously - even if I wasn't biased, the fact that I need a robust task list makes this the only real contender.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2008, 01:44 PM

I used Google Talk to connect to all my various IM services. That was the big use of my BlackBerry. Other than that I used maps, obviously the messages and stuff... mainly I stuck with the built in apps. Facebook the app sucks last time I tried it though maybe they've fixed it by now.

Typically I just used my Berry to communicate. My sister has it now and is way better at brick breaker than me.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
My sister has it now and is way better at brick breaker than me.
brick breaker is hard !!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I've got the 8310 on o2. What network are you on?

The 8310 in silver on o2 is supposed to come with sat nav software which will be incredibly useful, for some reason it's not on mine but I'm going to query them about that.
I've got the 8310 on Vodafone UK and it came with Sat Nav software called Maps - it's very slow to pickup the satellites and rubbish once it did find them.

About 2 weeks ago a Vodafone SatNav installer appeared on the menu options, I installed it and it's not bad. Pretty quick to find the satellites and updates the route fast if you decide to go a different way. The only annoying thing is it wont override the password lock out if you're using it, so the screen goes blank when the password lock kicks in, though the voice directions still work once it's gone blank.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2008, 02:07 PM

Maps seems standard with every BlackBerry. If you update to firmware 4.5 (you may already have it) it's greatly improved. The SatNav software that was supposed to come with our BBs was TelMap.

You can also get Google Maps.

We're going into battle with O2 soon, we're meant to have 6 BBs but only have 4, we're paying for 6 contracts though :S. One of the BBs is also dying. I'm going to see if I can give my BB to someone else to replace their broken one and get an iPhone

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 02:22 PM

I'm waiting to see if we are all getting a BB Storm when they get released. We normally get the updated models first to test before rolling them out to the rest of the group.

jean-henri
Nov 23, 2008, 06:36 AM

My current model is 8810 (UK Vodafone ed.), controlled by an Enterprise server (for Exchange).

Opera Java browser is a must for me, as the built in BB browser is almost useless.
Seems that Opera is the preferred solution for alternative browsers for others here as well ?

I haven't upgraded to the new firmware yet (am planning a combined BB Enterprise/ all clients upgrade)

In October our BB Bold orders were withdrawn by Scandinavian ISP TDC, due to general software problems.
So last week I did a quick survey in 5 random UK stores in Southampton for a deal on a BB Bold. Only one of them confirmed the software problem (can't remember which). The other 4 stores had it for sale ! So I'm a bit confused on that.
( Last edited by jean-henri; Nov 23, 2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Misspelled "Vodafone" :-))
-jh

Forum Links
Forum Rules