Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Web design forum? Any designers here care to help?

Web design forum? Any designers here care to help?
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jan 12, 2009, 10:30 PM

So I am trying to put together a website with my editorial and director's reel. I have spent the past week crash coursing with dreamweaver and I have somewhat of a result. I just need some expertise to work out the kinks.

So can any designers suggest a good forum or care to take on the project themselves?

I don't think my site is total noob crap - I have built it using CSS div tags and overall it's a pretty simple site - select a video and watch it play. Thanks in advance.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 10:36 PM

We used to have a web design forum here, but after the forum redesign, they sort of dumped it into the developer forum.

What kind of kinks are you having?

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2009, 10:37 PM

www.themotherwell.com

I started with a photoshop layout this morning and I got this far in dreamweaver today.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2009, 10:56 PM

Just a quick look, but to center the site, put a "wrapper" div around everything and set the style for that div to have margins set to auto. The white bar could be accomplished with a top border in the style for that div.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2009, 11:03 PM

Yeah, you're definitely on the right track!

In addition to design219's suggestions, I would suggest installing the Prototype Javascript library so that you can initiate videos via simple AJAX calls. Prototype makes AJAX calls super easy, and the benefit you'll get is that visitors will be able to click on videos and have them start immediately without having to reload the entire page.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 11:04 PM

What kind of player are you considering for the video? Flash?

Also, I’m not a 100% on what you mean by whole site centered, but one option is to create a parent container (you’ll want to decide on an absolute size for this container) and then set negative margins on the container.

For example, if your parent container 800x600px, you would use the following code:

Code:
#parent_container { margin-left: -400px; margin-top: -300px; position: absolute; top: 50%; left: 50%; width: 800px; height: 600px; z-index: ?; overflow: hidden; border: 1px none #000000; }

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2009, 11:04 PM

Yeah I can't get the white bar to work when putting a top border in the div. I also tried having a background image in the dive of the white bar from the photoshop file. Still didn't work.

As it stands I believe I have a main div wrapper that I can apply the margin settings to. Thanks for the info.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2009, 11:05 PM

I will mainly use quicktime, but I plan on adding several formats down the road. H.264 is awesome, but not everyone can view that.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
I will be using quicktime video
Did you consider Flash video? Much more compatible with more Windows systems... that is, the Flash plug-in is almost universal as opposed to the Quicktime.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yeah, you're definitely on the right track!

In addition to design219's suggestions, I would suggest installing the Prototype Javascript library so that you can initiate videos via simple AJAX calls. Prototype makes AJAX calls super easy, and the benefit you'll get is that visitors will be able to click on videos and have them start immediately without having to reload the entire page.
cool Ill check this out tomorrow and get back to you guys. Thanks for all the info already!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 11:11 PM

Quicktime is actually pretty common for Directors reels.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Quicktime is actually pretty common for Directors reels.
Yeah, if the audience is not general, that's probably true enough.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2009, 11:31 PM

are there any website design forums you guys like to frequent?
( Last edited by MOTHERWELL; Jan 13, 2009 at 01:00 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules