Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > so how does Time Machine differentiate?

so how does Time Machine differentiate?
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 19, 2009, 12:31 PM

I see that the backups have some number in the file name (on the TM drive)...

I recently had my powerbook fixed by Apple and they put in a new logic board. I don't know if that makes a difference, but Time Machine is create a new backup instead of updating my old one.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2009, 12:57 PM

I believe TM uses the Machine Address Code to track backups. Assume you have new MAC now that your Mac has a new logic board.

QS

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Feb 19, 2009, 01:54 PM

is there any way I can use my previous backup, or do I have to start a new one?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 19, 2009, 04:38 PM

1. Time Machine does indeed use the MAC address of the Ethernet on the logic board to identify a backup. (Note: MAC stands for "Media Access Control".)

2. let me google that for you -- the VERY FIRST link answers this common question.

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Feb 19, 2009, 04:57 PM

Super but that is NOT a solution that I would consider acceptable for a common problem. The less time consuming method is to just start a new backup and keep the old one around for a while.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
... The less time consuming method is to just start a new backup and keep the old one around for a while.
Isn't that the default behaviour of TM?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2009, 01:36 PM

Super but that is NOT a solution that I would consider acceptable for a common problem. The less time consuming method is to just start a new backup and keep the old one around for a while.
O...k... so what was the point of your post?

Many people prefer not to have the backup duplicated, for several reasons:
1. for many people, the new initial would be extremely time-consuming (esp. when using a Time Capsule)
2. all the space consumed by duplicating the files is space that is no longer available to keep backups going back as far in time
3. because the old backup is "disconnected", it won't automatically begin to be deleted as the disk gets full

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2009, 03:53 PM

I prefer not to have the backup duplicated for for those exact reasons. I was hoping there was a simple solution to this, not the solution that google came up with (which is old and doesn't even work, btw)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2009, 04:00 PM

It works fine - I did that a few months ago when I had the motherboard replaced on my MBP. No issues at all.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2009, 08:44 PM

I prefer not to have the backup duplicated for for those exact reasons. I was hoping there was a simple solution to this, not the solution that google came up with (which is old and doesn't even work, btw)
OK so you prefer to have it duplicate, but you prefer to have it not duplicate? Uhh...

And yeah, the instructions cannot have changed, as Leopard has not yet been replaced with anything else.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2009, 03:37 AM

Apple should have put something like this into the TM menu item.

Forum Links
Forum Rules