Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes: how to clean up "Compilations"

iTunes: how to clean up "Compilations"
Etnier
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2009, 07:56 AM

For whatever its devious reasons iTunes has chosen to put a lot of my files into its "Compilations" folder for no reason: they're just CD's recorded by single artists or bands. I would like to move most of this out into artists'/album folders. My gut tells me that if I rearrange things in the finder iTunes will lose track of them, and if I then ask it to re-add them to the library it will copy them back into the "Compilations" folder. I don't have the patience to find out the hard way.

Is there a step-by-step which minimizes hassles in this regard? Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future?

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2009, 07:58 AM

deleted extraneous info
( Last edited by Etnier; Jun 21, 2009 at 09:09 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2009, 08:03 AM

Get info on a song in iTunes. There's a check box "Part of a compilation". Uncheck that box.

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2009, 08:05 AM

That's great! It will work if I don't have to do it on a song-by-song basis (at least 500 songs up there). I will try it on albums and report back.

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2009, 08:09 AM

Yes, it works! For CD tracks selected as a group the control is in the "Options" in the resulting panel, rather than "Info". Works like a charm, and the files immediately leave the "Compilations" folder.

Thanks very much!

PS: does anyone know how to do this outside of iTunes? How to toggle the "Compilations" flag software through, say, drag-and-drop? I'm trying to manage two iPods and two Macs infected with this problem. Would like a bulk approach.

Also: anyone know why this happens and how to keep it from happening?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2009, 09:44 AM

It's happening because people are idiots and keep tagging "best of" albums from a single artist as "compilations", not realizing that the "compilations" tag is used exclusively to keep albums with tracks from multiple artists recognized as a single album.

When you rip a CD that has been incorrectly tagged by whomever uploaded the track info to the CD database at Gracenote (which iTunes uses to identify your music), that incorrect setting is used.

If you're on a Mac, just create a new playlist for the albums you want corrected and drag each album there either from the Finder or from within iTunes, select all, and Get Info to change the compilation tag.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Etnier View Post
For CD tracks selected as a group the control is in the "Options" in the resulting panel, rather than "Info".
Yeah, it's kind of confusing.

sartor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2009, 11:57 AM

spheric, good solution!

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2009, 12:14 PM

Thanks to all for their help and input!

Forum Links
Forum Rules