Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who here's been on TV?

Who here's been on TV?
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2011, 10:22 PM

Just curious if any of you have gotten on TV. Got video to support your ugly mugs? I've got one from about 12 years ago myself. I was on TV at the 1999 WWF Royal Rumble. During the Mankind vs. Rock "I quit" championship match. It was at the part where Mankind & Rock were fighting in the audience. Right before Mankind charged Rock to send him over the barricade, he pushed me aside because I was tapping his shoulder. I'm the one wearing a white Raiders #26 jersey holding the "Crosbie 3:16" sign.

Here's the video. You'll see me at about 4:10 in...

YouTube - I Quit Match WWF Championship Mankind Vs The Rock Part 2

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 10:25 PM

Scored a goal in soccer on cable TV as a kid. It was a penalty kick, and given that I usually played defence at the time, it was my only goal all season. Perfect timing.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 10:30 PM

I was born on TV. Channel 5 NBC News' medical segment at the evening news. The year was 1980 and fetal ultrasound was a new technology. Dr Barry Kaufman at Channel 5 was doing a segment on them and used my mom and me. I was on TV 30 days before I was born and they were in the OR for delivery (C-Section). We have the video and watch is every few years on my birthday.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I was born on TV. Channel 5 NBC News' medical segment at the evening news. The year was 1980 and fetal ultrasound was a new technology. Dr Barry Kaufman at Channel 5 was doing a segment on them and used my mom and me. I was on TV 30 days before I was born and they were in the OR for delivery (C-Section). We have the video and watch is every few years on my birthday.
Well, at least it wasn't a vaginal birth.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Mom said she would have never allowed them to video it had it been a vaginal birth.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 10:40 PM

Three times, Coca-Cola TV commercial (Australia) in the late 80s, a 7 Eleven TV commercial (Taiwan) in late 90s and opening scene to a Jazz TV show on ABC (Australia) early 90s.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 10:45 PM

Just some local news crap, nothing important or special.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 11:07 PM

Oh yeah, the back of my head was on the national news. They interviewed me at length, but I was very generic in my answers, trying to be politically neutral. After I saw their news report it seemed clear they were looking for people to bitch and moan. I didn't so they just used my footage for some background shots.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 11:10 PM

Yes, on a panel discussion.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I've seen the video. The commercials are the best part.

I was on Israeli TV almost 10 years ago transporting a patient from a helicopter into the emergency room and again at another incident.

Two weeks ago my boss was demonstrating some of the parental controls on an X-Box and although I wasn't on TV directly I was the one actually controlling the x-box.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I've seen the video. The commercials are the best part.
The commercials are epic. Black and white TVs, extinct airlines, weird cleaning products. The story immediately after my own is the Nixon white house tapes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2011, 02:32 AM

I photobombed a "local eats" type segment. I was hoping they'd pick up on it and just frame me the **** out, I'm trying to eat dinner over here.

No such luck.

Same station BTW. What is it about Channel 5 getting all up in people's business?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 03:34 AM

3 times, once for a news interview, once as a extra on Seven Days and once in the background of a sporting event.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2011, 07:00 AM

I was in a couple of local news items, and in the background each time. Nothing much exciting about it except for the "see, I'm right there behind the guy they're talking to!!!"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2011, 08:16 AM

Was in the background of 'The Culture Show' while it was at Edinburgh Fringe Festival a couple of years ago.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 22, 2011, 08:17 AM

Made the local news playing in the marching band in a parade. I was in the studio audience for a shooting of Hot in Cleveland (S01E03 I think).

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2011, 09:02 AM

I used to work the pledge drives for the local PBS station when I was younger. I would sometimes work the phones and would also be the guy holding items they were giving away with the pledges. I would maintain the chalkboard (yes... chalkboard...I'm aging myself) that kept track of the pledge dollars. I would stand there with a goofy smile and point at the amount of money raised to date. I hated being in front of the camera!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Just curious if any of you have gotten on TV. Got video to support your ugly mugs? I've got one from about 12 years ago myself. I was on TV at the 1999 WWF Royal Rumble. During the Mankind vs. Rock "I quit" championship match. It was at the part where Mankind & Rock were fighting in the audience. Right before Mankind charged Rock to send him over the barricade, he pushed me aside because I was tapping his shoulder. I'm the one wearing a white Raiders #26 jersey holding the "Crosbie 3:16" sign.

Here's the video. You'll see me at about 4:10 in...

YouTube - I Quit Match WWF Championship Mankind Vs The Rock Part 2
I saw you get manhandled by that little lady from 4:24 to 4:28.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 10:43 AM

I've appeared briefly in the background on C-SPAN. Not sure if that counts as actual TV.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2011, 10:51 AM

I know of three times- the first was when I was about 10. My school put on a Halloween play that was broadcast on a local Washington DC TV station during the "Captain 20" show. He did a local kids show here- cartoons interspersed with a creepy 70's ScFi theme.

During the '92 primaries, I was selected to sit behind Clinton during a speech along with as a diverse group of people you could get in central Maine. I got on TV asking him a question about his fundraising compared to Jerry Brown.

The most recent barely counts. I was at the Lego house build on James May's Toy Stories and at one point you can see me in a distant crowd shot. I recognized my position and clothes- I was otherwise unidentifiable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I've appeared briefly in the background on C-SPAN. Not sure if that counts as actual TV.
You know it doesn't.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2011, 11:08 AM

How can people watch that crap? I'm talking about the pro wrestling.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You know it doesn't.
I was also an extra in a movie, but did not appear in the final film.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2011, 12:32 PM

I've been in the background at CNN a few times before. I was also interviewed by the local news a while ago, which was stupid and they completely twisted my words. Wasn't prepared for that.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I've been in the background at CNN a few times before. I was also interviewed by the local news a while ago, which was stupid and they completely twisted my words. Wasn't prepared for that.
My mate got caught leaving work early by walking in the background of a live news broadcast

I was in the audience of Play Away when i was a kid.

beorning
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2011, 01:18 PM

I was holding my infant son while sitting on a rock in the Palmituin (Palm Garden) in Paramaribo Suriname (1985) when STVS came by and got all goo-goo gah-gah with the boy. 15 minutes of fame shot straight to hell.

Thorzdad
Mar 22, 2011, 01:54 PM

A local realtor used me and my family in a commercial after they sold our home.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
The most recent barely counts. I was at the Lego house build on James May's Toy Stories and at one point you can see me in a distant crowd shot. I recognized my position and clothes- I was otherwise unidentifiable.
True, it barely counts, but it's by far the coolest context of anybody in this thread, so far.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 22, 2011, 03:14 PM

Not sure if I've been on TV, but I was an extra in a terrible zombie film. Got myself a whole 1.5 seconds of screen time. I was an excellent shambler.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2011, 03:17 PM

Unrelated, but I just ate two tables over from Gerard Butler at a tiny local place I've gone to for 22 years. Always weird seeing these people filming here.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Unrelated, but I just ate two tables over from Gerard Butler at a tiny local place I've gone to for 22 years. Always weird seeing these people filming here.
They're just people, like anyone else. The difference is they have cool jobs. We're good friends with Chris Slater and he sometimes has a tendency to just stop by, "hey, I'm at the airport, can you come and get me". Then I do that while the girls are running around locking up all the alcohol.
- Thomas Paine

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2011, 07:10 PM

Starred in a Sony commercial as well as a few Hawaiian Host (chocolate co) commercials when I was younger. Lately, I've been an extra in a few of our local marketing campaigns.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
My mate got caught leaving work early by walking in the background of a live news broadcast
At the beach one day, I had an MTV camera shoved in my face to ask whether I was having a sick day from work.

I was.

Also been in three commercials, the start to a kids' TV show and as an extra several dozen times (frequently as a cop or a German soldier).

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2011, 07:34 PM

Three times. First back in 1966 I was on the Baron Demone Show, a local kids show. Second, I was interviewed on one of our local news programs at the New York State Fair about ten years ago. And last, I was on a fishing show filmed out of Watertown, NY last year. That about covers my entire fifteen minutes of fame.
macforray

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2011, 08:54 PM

I have been on the local news a few times at different events.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
... First back in 1966 ...
They had TV then?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 23, 2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
They had TV then?
Quite probably much better than the "TV" we have today. Fewer channels, better productions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
They're just people, like anyone else. The difference is they have cool jobs. We're good friends with Chris Slater and he sometimes has a tendency to just stop by, "hey, I'm at the airport, can you come and get me". Then I do that while the girls are running around locking up all the alcohol.
Oh, I know it. That's what always strikes me when I see them. The only exception to that rule was Tiger Woods. Nothing about the guy seemed normal.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2011, 11:13 AM

A few years ago I was approached by a local news crew as I was leaving the grocery store to comment on a new Hooter's restaurant that had recently opened a block away. Apparently, there was a certain degree of "controversy" about it in certain quarters because it was about a quarter mile away from a middle school. I said that in a time with $4/gallon gas prices and two stupid wars going on there were much more important things to worry about than girls serving chicken wings in short shorts. I figured the only ones complaining were middle aged married women who had let themselves go .... but I kept that part to myself.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Mar 23, 2011 at 03:54 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Oh, I know it. That's what always strikes me when I see them. The only exception to that rule was Tiger Woods. Nothing about the guy seemed normal.
Tiger does seem like a strange guy, something like a high functioning sociopath.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
A few years ago I was approached by a local news crew as I was leaving the grocery store to comment on a new Hooter's restaurant that had recently opened a block away. Apparently, there were a certain degree of "controversy" about it in certain quarters because it was about a quarter mile away from a middle school. I said that in a time with $4/gallon gas prices and two stupid wars going on there were much more important things to worry about than girls serving chicken wings in short shorts. I figured the only ones complaining were middle aged married women who had let themselves go .... but I kept that part to myself.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2011, 12:33 PM

Tiger does seem like a strange guy, something like a high functioning sociopath.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2011, 12:36 PM

Tiger's nothing like us, thanks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Tiger's nothing like us, thanks.
I didn't say he was, he's more the exception to the rule.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2011, 12:52 PM

I didn't say he was, he's more the exception to the rule.
I've got him as "dweeby little douche who's trying to make up for lost time in high school when he wasn't getting laid because he was too busy playing with his stick".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 23, 2011, 12:55 PM

As a cheerleader in high school, I was on the local news a handful of times when our team went to semi-finals.

I help my mother-in-law decorate fancy cakes, and once had a cake we bake filmed for a local, Christian tv station.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Quite probably much better than the "TV" we have today. Fewer channels, better productions.
Ouch, I work in television.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2011, 05:08 PM

I noticed that the local stations for Hawaii seem to have very high quality news programmes.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2011, 06:58 PM

Been on national (Danish—so pretty much ‘local’) TV a few times as a kid, mostly by chance.

Something I find much, much cooler though (even if probably no one else does) is that I was interviewed for the Irish TG4 show Thar Sáile a couple of years ago, in Irish. I never managed to actually see it on TV (obviously, since it only aired in Ireland), but they sent me a DVD of the episode, which I still have. That was very, very cool—though mostly for the fact that I managed to prove to myself that I could actually speak Irish (which I’d never done before the interview).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2011, 12:40 PM

I got chosen (whilst in a pub) to play a Viking in a cricket match. A pop-group (can't even remember the name) decided to release a single for the Cricket World Cup held in England in 1999. The idea was to have goodies vs. badies in a cricket match for the music video. They had already filmed some English cricket players doing some stuff. We (Drakula, Nun, Viking, and some others) started working at 6am on a Sunday morning on this tiny cricket pitch. I spent the whole day there playing cricket and being filmed. I was a wicket keeper behind Faye Tozer from Steps and Ronnie Irani turned up to do some filming as well. I was always amazed that they had already filmed people doing stuff, then we spent the whole day (with canteen truck and loads of filmy type people) filming and it was all for a 3 or 4 minute video.

Anyway somebody decided that the single should be released on the first day of the second round of the tournament. England got knocked out in the first round. The vid appeared (very briefly) on TFI Friday with Chris Evans. I haven't been able to find it on the net, but I have the CD buried in a box somewhere.

It was interesting to see how that sort of stuff is done, but I really do wonder what would have happened if England had done better and the song (which was actually quite a catchy tune) had been played more.

Oh well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules