Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > insecure clipboard iOS 9.2

insecure clipboard iOS 9.2
aj1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2015, 04:33 PM

So I launch Facebook and at the top of the feed it asks what's on my mind and pre-populates the field with the URL that early I'd copy pasted from an e-mail.

What was it?

A tracking URL for a package to be delivered at my place tomorrow.

No reason to suppose that, having pre-populated, FB didn't somehow bounce it to its server and scan the content of the page: so Facebook now knows where I live. WTF...!!!

Apple: apps should not be able to peer into your clipboard until you PASTE.

ibook_steve
Dec 8, 2015, 05:56 PM

I've never seen this. Can you reproduce this and provide the steps so others can see if it happens to them?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2015, 10:26 PM

Google Chrome for iOS will identify links on the clipboard and offer to navigate to them, but only when you tap on the address bar - and NOT automatically.

How did you "launch Facebook?" Through a browser, or through the iOS app?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2015, 11:10 PM

Facebook is the problem.

P
Dec 9, 2015, 09:09 AM

This is the way the pasteboard works on the Mac as well, always have. It is expected that the applications you use are applications you trust, in which case this wouldn't be an issue. Sure you could make it work a different way - let the pasteboard be handled by a service that the user manipulates directly, and then sends its contents, or implement a verification box in the pasteboard API - but it has never worked this way.

So DCJ is correct, Facebook is the problem.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 9, 2015, 08:46 PM

I agree that the Facebook is what is doing this. But in my experience, ALL the back-end search does is try to match user names. So you don't need any tinfoil, but you do need to check your Facebook security settings.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules