Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DivX vs MPEG-4

DivX vs MPEG-4
Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 12:14 PM

OK, I'm fairly clueless about this area. I'm after some information about why MPEG-4 video is better than DivX (assuming it is, but that's what I've heard).

What are the filesizes like? And what about quality?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 01:31 PM

DivX=nicer quality, longer encoding times at the same file size
MP4=lower quality, speedy encoding times at the same file size

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 02:53 PM

Axo1ot1 is basically correct. It also depends on what you do with it. I've never been able to really find that "sweet spot" for encoding divx, but I can make awesome quality mpeg-4s using Cleaner. The file size might be larger than with divx, but that's not a concern to me.

If you're primarily concerned about size and quality (together), then divx.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 03:03 PM

plus the fact that not everyone who wants good (dare i say professional) quality results can afford cleaner. it is a high price to pay for results that are not always quicker, faster, better.

there have to be some free, low cost alternatives... hence...

i have done a series of tests this afternoon using the 3iVX codec. i must say, i am very impressed. not only do i consistently get better results than those i get with QT's mpeg-4 output, i get even smaller file sizes.

my question is this ... i do not want to burn a lot of files in this format if it is not going to be around for long ... hence, my reluctance to use it and stay with the poorer quality mpeg-4. add to that the hassle of having users download yet another codec and you see the dilemma.

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 10:10 AM

So then are you willing to live with slightly larger file sizes in exchange for using ISO standard mpeg-4?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2003, 12:55 PM

3ivx is just as mpeg-4 compliant as Apple's codec (DivX not quite as compliant, and each version will be less and less so based on what they've said at their forum)

hence, my reluctance to use it and stay with the poorer quality mpeg-4. add to that the hassle of having users download yet another codec...
if you encode 3ivx to an mp4 file (possible now with OpenShiiva, and with the next version of 3ivx you will be able to passthrough to mp4 with QTPro), the file is indistinguishable to QT from its own codec, but with better quality

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 09:37 AM

Uncle - I had not thought of that before. I'm going to have to try it! (3ivx in mp4 wrapper)

Forum Links
Forum Rules