Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Avoid 9.1 Like the Plague

Avoid 9.1 Like the Plague (Page 2)
tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2001, 10:44 AM

ROLEARY....get rid of Microsoft Office Manager (Office 2001). It's never, ever worked right, even the older version under 9.01. That was the only problem I noticed under 9.1. Once that extension would load, the finder would start looping and I'd have to do a forced restart. Otherwise, 9.1 rocks, picked up noticeable speed in opening apps, and my screen graphics appear sharper(???)

I've installed 9.1 at work on a G4 500, and at home on my Pismo500 and beige G3. Not one problem to report...other tham MOM as noted above.

By the way,, why does 9.1 rename the applications folder to "APPLICATIONS (MAC OS 9)? It even threw my Utilities folder in their, which is not where I normally keep it. Could this be a pre-housecleaning issue for OSX?

BlackMac
Jan 13, 2001, 11:47 AM

HI guys,

my experience with OS 9.1 is very positive; though MOM is a pain (it's the extension of it that causes the crash/freeze) as is not having Snitch (I'm awaiting the upgrade). It took sometime to isolate issues with 9.1 (it booted into open firmware on my third boot) but has run smoothly and is faster than 9.0.x by a long shot. It's more stable and I have installed it on both my PB G3 Lombard and on an All-in-One G3 without a problem. Seems like user's having problems are either not reading ahead of time what to expect or are having SW conflicts and aren't willing to attribute problems where they are due, namely to their own failings. Sorry to be harsh, but you have to know what you're doing before your try somethings!

------------------

AnyNameWillDo
Jan 13, 2001, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by SpeedRacer:
Thanks for the tip... could this "first 8GB" limit be the underlying reason behind the fact that X and 9.1 are incompatible? ie: Mac OS X has to be installed on the first partition and 9.1 demands the first 8GB?

Very, very interesting.

Outside of this, the consensus seems to be that 9.1 works fine on stock Macs... but all these "success stories" are not addressing the very real issues plaguing those of us with older and/or upgraded machinery. Particularly those of us who took every possible precaution before installing.
I do not think this is the case. The only Mac affected with the "first 8 GB" issue is the beige G3, and for OS X only. Personnally, I have such a machine. OS X PB is installed in the first partition of my drive (10 GB), OS 9.0.4 on the second (2 GB, the Classic environment for X), OS 9.1 on the third (28 GB, my everyday partition...). It boots up in any system without a hitch...

So I guess the real answer would be that your problem lies in the "updated status" of your hardware. Apple really is not ready to sell an OS for the Intel world !!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules