Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > let's list incompatibilities with 9.1

let's list incompatibilities with 9.1 (Page 3)
gmcluhan
Jan 12, 2001, 09:00 PM

I am using RAMDoubler 9.0.1 and I have no problems... I have also been using Microsoft Office Manager 9.0 and it works fine!

Breakerboy
Jan 12, 2001, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by MacMongrel:
After installing 9.1, I lost a level of video resolution using my VooDoo 3 card and the beta 12 drivers. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but no changes. Unfortunately, it was the rez I was using, now I'm stuck with 1024 x 768 on a 17" monitor, or higher running at 60Hz or less... yick.
Try giving SwitchRes a shot. It'll make all the possible resolutions for your V3 available. I've been using it for a couple years now, and works great. Especially with the V3.

mal
Jan 12, 2001, 09:54 PM

PopChar Lite 2.7.2 let's your Mac hang at startup. Otherwise all my "junk" works. Printing is no problem.

THX1138
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 10:18 PM

I found my first, and hopefully only incompatibility with 9.1.

It seems that Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force works fine with 9.1 except for the mouse input. The game's cursor stays stuck in the upper left corner of the screen, while the standard Mac cursor moves around, however the Mac cursor will not click anything in the game. The keyboard commands work just fine however.

I'm using Kensington MouseWorks, so I'll try disabling that too see if it's an incompatibility with that.

--Update: Seems to be caused by a combination of MouseWorks v5.4.1, OS 9.1, and Elite Force. I'm in the process of downloading v5.5.0 drivers from Kensington, but I'm on a piddly 44.2k connection, so I might be here a while.

--Update 2: I installed the v5.5.0 drivers, and it's the same problem.

-THX

------------------
Just because Windows users vastly outnumber Mac users, numbers alone do not denote a higher form of life. C�ckroaches outnumber humans many times over, and no one says a c�ckroach is better than a human.

[This message has been edited by THX1138 (edited 01-12-2001).]
Just because Windows users vastly outnumber Mac users, numbers alone do not denote a higher form of life. C�ckroaches outnumber humans many times over, and no one says a c�ckroach is better than a human.

muttfree
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 10:21 PM

>>>>>DiskWarrior DiskShield Extension is "nixxed" (Red "X" through extension) at start-up.<<<<

Same here, HOWEVER....the application still works. I ran it this morning and it worked flawlessy. That extension that loads is only to enable the "Disksheild" ongoing protection against directory damage.

I checked Alsoft's website, and it says that an updated extension is due out " soon" , as is a 2.1 version of the application.

My system: B&W G3/450/512MB Ram
HTH

[This message has been edited by muttfree (edited 01-12-2001).]
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

Dean McGearey
Jan 12, 2001, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by bipto:
Suitcase 8 and 9

Perhaps not Suitcase but the Menufonts extention it was a nightmare with "Fortissimo" late releases.

kevinb04240
Jan 13, 2001, 12:13 AM

I've found the IPNetRouter Faceless Background App doesn't work any more. The full IPNetRouter works fine, but I need to use the background app to share my cable connection since my iMac has multiple users turned on. Besides, it's much more seamless with the FBA. Anyone else having this problem?

-Kevin ([email protected])

ScottN13
Jan 13, 2001, 12:23 AM

I'm getting the same error with Lotus Notes 5.0.5 and 5.06

Originally posted by littlematt:
I'm running Lotus Notes 5.0.5 and 5.0.6 clients with no problem under 9.1.
Lotus Notes 5.0.4 and 5.0.6 client. Getting the following error:

(DDERunLoad)
DDEBeginRec.EmbeddedDocCount = %d%n

nemesys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 01:15 AM

FYI, on my B&W G3 @ 400 Mhz, 9.1 installed, I don't have any problem opening:

faxSTF 5.1.1
Office 2001
ATM 4.6.1

In fact, no problem at all. So far, after 2 days, it seems a lot more stable than 9.0.4.

-Laurent.

Number41
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 01:51 AM

Re: RAM Doubler 9

Those folks who have said to simply reinstall RAM Doubler 9 are correct. This is the cure to the problem, and RAM Doubler 9 seems to work without a hitch in 9.1 on my iMac Rev. C.

I had forgotten that RAM Doubler actually modifies something in the Finder (and the System file, I believe). It's this change that allows it to work. I had installed the 9.1 update, restarted a few times before I remembered to remove then reinstall RAM Doubler, and then everything worked.

I then proceeded to try to see if I could get Apple's DIsc Burner software to work as outlined in a post in another MacNN forum. I followed the directions, using Tome Viewer to extract the necessary files. I had already installed iTunes, so there were only one or two things I needed to put in my System Folder. One of the things that the Disc Burner software "installs" is a new Finder, version 9.1.1 (it has the "Burn CD..." menu item in the Special menu). After I'd booted from my 9.0 CD so that I could move Finder 9.1 out of the System Folder without my iMac complaining at me, dropping Finder 9.1.1 into my System Folder, and restarting, that's when I remembered about RAM Doulber altering the Finder. Upon reboot with Finder 9.1.1, RAM Doubler no longer worked, and I had to remove/reinstall it again.

I wasn't able to get the Disc Burner software to work (external USB CD-RW drive -- I know, I know...), but I decided just to leave Finder 9.1.1 installed, and everything is working fine.

------------------
Number41
Number41

Number41
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 01:57 AM

I found my first, and hopefully only incompatibility with 9.1.

It seems that Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force works fine with 9.1 except for the mouse input. The game's cursor stays stuck in the upper left corner of the screen, while the standard Mac cursor moves around, however the Mac cursor will not click anything in the game. The keyboard commands work just fine however.

I'm using Kensington MouseWorks, so I'll try disabling that too see if it's an incompatibility with that.

--Update: Seems to be caused by a combination of MouseWorks v5.4.1, OS 9.1, and Elite Force. I'm in the process of downloading v5.5.0 drivers from Kensington, but I'm on a piddly 44.2k connection, so I might be here a while.

--Update 2: I installed the v5.5.0 drivers, and it's the same problem.

-THX
THX:

Try using USB Overdrive. I have a Logitech USB Wheelmouse, and I stopped using the Logitech drivers long ago. They bite. I'm also no fan of Kensington's drivers...

USB Overdrive is a wonderful little app that lets me set the speed of the scroll wheel, and does a much better job of handling the various mouse clicks than does the Logitech software. You should pay for it, becasue it's truly wonderful software.

------------------
Number41
Number41

Luis Alcazar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 02:26 AM

I just get Mac os 9.1...
i installed my 9.0.4 and updated.
my lovely Sound edit 2.0.7 dont open, it say error 3
i miss that nice filters!!
and some projects created w/director 7 dont work because it needs more memory prefered!
and some projects created w/ director 8 dont work fine in 640 *480
the image on Stage awas displaced
i have a G4 dual 450 (512 MB Ram)
i don find more bugs!!

Khromag
Jan 13, 2001, 02:29 AM

I am also having that problem with Alpha Centauri. the Color Black is now white. :-/

Other than that I, personally, have not encountered any other problems.

Stilgar
Jan 13, 2001, 02:41 AM

Virtual PC4 seems to be incompatble with the Software Update Control Panel on my G4. And Kensington USBshim as well.
Ok, I can do without the Updater. And the shim seems to have no effect when off.. sooo... I am still happy...

Waiting for other show to drop

flyboy
Jan 13, 2001, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by kitten:
Seem to be having trouble with Fly2K....after 9.1, crashes while inside user function screens.

Oy
Try using the Base OS9.1 extensions set. There is an extension conflict when the full set is active. Haven't narrowed it down yet.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2001, 06:40 AM

Anarchie/Interarchy are freezing after loading a directory listing (FTP bookmark) on mine and the machines of other MacNN staffers... from version 3.7-4.0.

Frank H
Jan 13, 2001, 06:47 AM

MacMongrel wrote:
After installing 9.1, I lost a level of video resolution using my VooDoo 3 card and the beta 12 drivers. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but no changes. Unfortunately, it was the rez I was using, now I'm stuck with 1024 x 768 on a 17" monitor, or higher running at 60Hz or less... yick.

I use SuperRes (free control panel) on PPC 7200 with 2Mb of video memory on OS 9.1. The monitor can handle a res of 1024 x 768 @ 75 Mhz wth Thousands colors. Officially not possible with this monitor.
Mabe it can solve your problem. Not sure it will work with your card though. http://www.griffintechnology.com

Frank

jeff2103
Jan 13, 2001, 09:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheStrider:
[B]If anyone is still using it Ramdoubler 9 will cause out of memory messages from the Finder with no way out.

Make sure you have the RAMdoubler9 update, The update is 9.01 and work well. I use Ramdoubler on my B&W and Firewire Powerbook with no problem with MacOS 9.1

AnyNameWillDo
Jan 13, 2001, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Provda:
Has to uninstall:
Had major problem trying to get SurfDoubler to work or to even connect on my DSL line with the usual TCP settings.
Also, while in 9.1 I tried by Palm Desktop and it wouldn't launch, but I was so frustrated at that point that I didn't look into it, so I don't know if it was something that I could have corrected with some work.
The problem must be SurfDoubler, because I also have an ADSL line (PPPoE with Enternet) and Palm Desktop, and both work fine...

Dieder
Jan 13, 2001, 11:09 AM

Three way odd conflict here.

ircle + IPNetRouter + 9.1 = no TCP access. Once you open a session with ircle, through a gateway running 9.1, you lose TCP access. UDP access is sometimes still available. Going back to 9.0.4 and all is peachy. For this problem though:

it only affects a gateway using IPNetRouter (latest version) and 9.1 when a client or the gateway connects to IRC using ircle. I don't know why, I don't know how. But the second I start up ircle and it connects, the TCP part of the PPP connection dies. Identical setup under 9.0.4 works fine.

AnyNameWillDo
Jan 13, 2001, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by veloboldie:
It's a French word for show off.
Absolutely not ! Completely false ! 0 % !

It means stroller. From the ancient scandinavian word flana, a person who walks without a specific goal, slowly, without hurry. (Le Petit Larousse illustr� 1998, p. 436)

AnyNameWillDo
Jan 13, 2001, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Misha:
Anarchie/Interarchy are freezing after loading a directory listing (FTP bookmark) on mine and the machines of other MacNN staffers... from version 3.7-4.0.
Must be something else, because it works fine on my machine (Interarchy 3.8)

AnyNameWillDo
Jan 13, 2001, 11:40 AM

I do get a lot of crashing in Excel 2001 on my machine. They are random, but often occur as I quit the thing, bringing down my machine (it freezes). I wonder if it has something to do with iTunes running in the background ?

There is also an incompatibility between any app that uses the Carbon Library 1.2 and the wheel of my Logitech mouse (it does not scroll).

My machine :
Beige G3 267 MHz, 192 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, USB PCI card, Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse, Mac OS 9.1

straydog44
Jan 13, 2001, 12:06 PM

For two days OS 9.1 was a dream come true...stable, smooth, maybe even a little faster. Then the nightmare began. My cursor kept jumping to the upperleft corner every time I stopped. I have trashed all Kensington software as well as reinstalling 9.1 over and over. I read a previous post that suggested USB overdrive so I trashed all Kensington again and installed that. So far, so good! I keep you posted. Anyone else having trouble like this?

straydog44
Jan 13, 2001, 12:10 PM

Oh yeah...I'm using Mac G3 B/W, 450, plenty of RAM. The mouse is Kensington Optical Pro. It never has worked as well as I thought it should. I did the updates, etc.

pjbaird
Jan 13, 2001, 12:27 PM

Add me to the list of those that found Office Manager 2001 (V 9.0) incompatible with Mac OS 9.1.

I miss it but can live without it until this is resolved (strange that some aren't finding the conflict?)

I had a shutdown bug fixed by 9.1. Previously, when I shut down, about half the time the finder would quit, then I'd have to hit shutdown again, when it would work... that hasn't' happened, yet.

9.1 seems stable and maybe a tad faster? Though I haven't timed it or anything... I'm not crazy how Apple moves your folders around under 9.1. I don't want everything under applications!

pjbaird
Jan 13, 2001, 12:36 PM

OK this is weird. The same version of Office Manager is fine on my iBook and OS 9.1, but not on my 350Mhz slot-loading iMac. A conflict between Office Manager and some yet unidentified extension that I only have on my iMac? Hardware specific?

I don't have time to really test this out but do others have this issue?

tom trinko
Jan 13, 2001, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by happy camper:
Canto Cumulus 5.x.x is broken under OS 9.1. Canto has not yet verified but it's reproduceable on multiple machines.
5.0.9 seems to be working on my 500MHz G4 mac with system 9.1.

Bobby
Jan 13, 2001, 05:13 PM

I occasionally experience a problem where it won't wake up after a reboot. It happened occasionally before I upgraded to 9.1. Since I havn't had 9.1 so long and have experienced the problem, I feel like its occurring more frequently. But time will tell...

------------------

Bobby
Jan 13, 2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
I've had problems with AOL
I've been using an AOL BYOA (Bring Your Own Access) trial for a couple weeks now. I've not had any problems with this end of it under 9.1...

------------------

Cyberspaced
Jan 13, 2001, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Number41:
THX:

Try using USB Overdrive. I have a Logitech USB Wheelmouse, and I stopped using the Logitech drivers long ago. They bite. I'm also no fan of Kensington's drivers...

USB Overdrive is a wonderful little app that lets me set the speed of the scroll wheel, and does a much better job of handling the various mouse clicks than does the Logitech software. You should pay for it, becasue it's truly wonderful software.

Number41 -

I am experiencing the same problem as THX (with quake3, UT, and Oni with the Kensington Optical Pro mouse). I installed USB Overdrive, but it did not solve the problem. I noticed that the os 9.1 install deleted InputSprocket USB and various other InputSprockets. However, reinstalling all of these did not correct the problem. This is really bizarre... hope someone comes up with a fix pretty soon.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Jan 13, 2001, 08:03 PM

OS 9.1 seems to be incompatible with Quicken 98: although it works OK, it makes windows opened in subsequent applications (Word, for instance) have a gray background instead of white.

Kay Autic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 08:41 PM

Epson 740 USB + VPC 3.0 (or 4.0) + 9.1 = black bars when printing even with extensions base or off

Several others have noted this as well (see MacFixIt forums)

Kay Autic
--This message edited for clarity and simplicity for Pres.-select Bush--

rusting Okie Don
Jan 13, 2001, 09:11 PM

I also have a rev B iMac with 160 mg ram.
I am running Os 9.0.4 and the Public Beta.
I ran the update of 9.1 and all went as smooth as always untill reboot.
At reboot I got a grey screen with some comment about my Imac firmware.
And the closest thing to a command line I have ever seen on any mac other than Os X server.
I turned Mac off and booted with my os 8.5 disk so i could pick another 9.0.4 start up disk rather than my 9.1.
Wow this is weird?

I have had no other problems. iMac Rev B (G3/233) & 160 MB RAM (VM/RD off).

[This message has been edited by Danometer (edited 01-12-2001).][/B][/QUOTE]

rusting Okie Don
Jan 13, 2001, 09:26 PM

Opps I have done all my firmware updates too.

Bobwest
Jan 13, 2001, 10:34 PM

Hello!

Just went back to 9.04. Good thing I backed up my 9.04 ystem to CD. Everything worked great under 9.1 but when i tried to print to my Epson 1200 USB printer from VPC 4 (and 3), all i got was dark bands. Lost a lot of Stamps.com postage.

Everything ou of VPC printed black bands. Too bad.

Mac

jlodato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Gregory:
B&W G3 - couldn't wake from sleep until I disabled Energy Saver. I'm using some of the features of Sleeper instead.

Things I tried - pulling out all 3rd party PCI cards, Mac OS 9.1 All.
Not quoted above but in the original post is mention of the third party USB card shows nothing attached. I'm having the same problem with my Keyspan USB card on a beige G3. The card shows up as does the hub, but not the printers, scanner or CDRW.

[This message has been edited by jlodato (edited 01-13-2001).]

Dispiacere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 01:11 AM

I've had a few startup crashes and things of that sort...I think the best is to clean install and upgrade then change over...pain in the butt but it should work better...I think it may have something to do with corrupted prefs files since 9.1 does screw with them.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2001, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by Bobby:
I occasionally experience a problem where it won't wake up after a reboot. It happened occasionally before I upgraded to 9.1. Since I havn't had 9.1 so long and have experienced the problem, I feel like its occurring more frequently. But time will tell...
One of our iBooks will always crash if it goes to sleep since having updated to 9.1...

Janek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 06:19 AM

FaxSTF 6.0.3 is working with OS 9.1.
BUT!
Sometimes it hangs while finishing transfer (closing FaxStatus) - same as on 9.0.4

D9
Jan 14, 2001, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by John_Engels:
Quickeys 4.0r1 freezes the startup. Don't know how 5 works.
I've had no problems with QuicKeys 5 on my Pismo 400 except in regards to Microsoft Office Manager. The solution there was to ensure that MOM and its sister extension, Office Manager Extension loaded last (via Conflict Catcher). Not only did it allow QuicKeys to work as usual, but also my XLR8 Mouse Point & Scroll.

D9
Jan 14, 2001, 09:22 AM

[B]POSSIBLE MICROSOFT OFFICE MANAGER (MOM) SOLUTION[B]

It seems many of us have found an issue with this control panel in 9.1; some of us have not. It appears to be conflicts with particular third-party add-ons. In my case, it was QuicKeys 5 and XLR8 Point & Scroll (maybe more!).

The solution that I have that ensures all items work is to have the MOM control panel and Office Manager Extension load last during bootup. If you use Conflict Catcher, this can be done via the Edit Links' Forced Group feature. For those with Extension Manager, try placing one or two "~" at the beginning of each MOM piece to ensure they load last.

So far, this has alleviated any conflicts I've had with MOM and another extension.

sushu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 03:06 PM

apple telecom software incompatible with 9.1 .

popchar pro 2.7.2 works fine.
g3/315/320mb

Doug Brown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 04:41 PM

Suposedly, USB modems won't work without a driver update. Mine is Global Village and I doubt they will ever fix it. I just bought an Apple internal to replace my USB one today.

prblack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by JConnick:
I keep getting a wierd error with Outlook Express 5.02. It says: OE got an error! Can't continue <<event earsffdr>>.
But mail comes in ok.
Jack
Outlook Express 5.02 works fine for me. But there is a little glitch. I get two clocks in my menu bar. One is constant and only changes when I click on the OE window or perform some other operation. The other is the regular clock.

jonhollis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 07:13 PM

ive loaded 9.1 onto my UK G4 SP 500 mhz, so far i have lots of problems with the whole machine seems to have slowed up. Microsoft Office 2001 quite often freezes and crashes. Internet explorer is slower and occasionally freezes. Basically all the microsoft stuff. I am now going to completely reinstall all ot the above, and hope that works.

Also my DIGI soundcard makes a horrible noise on start up. Not looking good so far

whoops photoshop has started freezing.

patrickgibson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 07:48 PM

Codewarrior 6 is really sluggish after upgrading to 9.1 on my FireWire G3 PowerBook. Actually, it's only when doing certain things with the keyboard, such as selecting text by holding shift and using the cursor keys. As well, a few other things seems really slow...
patrick gibson
http://patrickg.com/

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2001, 09:28 PM

No problems except one. When I try to reinstall Quicktime from CD it keeps complaining about 'cannot find installer v 4.5.3' or something. It then suggests clicking twice on the installer icon in the same folder but there never is one.

Even rebooting to a MacOS 9.0.4 CD complains about this installer version. I don't know much about this installer stuff.

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

edljedi
Jan 14, 2001, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Misha:
I'm using v4.0 without any problems.

Greg Pennefather
Jan 15, 2001, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by iPond317:
Having both my USB SuperDisk and ZipCD plugged in seem to hault the start-up process. Unplugging the SuperDrive continues the start-up though.

I had trouble like this before (ie not OS9.1) - I fixed it by using the external power supply for the USB hub instead of relying on the USB bus power. So you might simply be drawing too much power on the USB ports.

Cheers

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules