Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Safari looks much better in a VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine

Safari looks much better in a VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine
lfe2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2007, 01:18 AM

I recently installed VMWare Fusion 1.1 on my Macbook. Set up of XP/SP2 in a Fusion Virtual Machine was a breeze. I downloaded Safari for Windows and went to many of the sites I frequent when using Safari in Mac OS running Leopard. I noticed that Safari was much sharper and crisper in the VMWare VM, particularly on a financial site (Scottrade) that launches a Java Applet. This Applet does not display its fonts well in Mac OS Safari and has been a source of constant annoyance to me. The same Applet displays OK in Firefox 2.0 (Mac Os or VMWF) but executes very slow compared to Safari. So, the Applet (and all other sites thus far visited) display sharper and crisper in the VMWare virtual machine compared to Safari in Mac OS Leopard. I have allocated 2 cores for the VM and 1 GB of RAM each for Mac and VM.

Any thoughts on why this Applet (and other sites) on Safari looks so much better on VMF than Mac OS Leopard?

Thanks for any help.

ibook_steve
Dec 27, 2007, 04:06 AM

Anti-aliased fonts? All fonts are anti-aliased in Mac OS X to make their edges softer. Windows by default does not anti-alias text, AFAIK, so text will look sharper.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

lfe2211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2007, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the response Steve. Is there any work around for this in Mac OS? The font appearance is strikingly different between the two OSes.

ibook_steve
Dec 27, 2007, 12:39 PM

Not really. You can adjust how the font smoothing looks and behaves in the Appearance preferences.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 03:01 PM

if you're serious about trading, you should get off of Scottrade.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lfe2211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2007, 05:16 PM

Big Mac,

I am very serious about stock trading, To date, Scottrade has provided me with everything I need including option trading at a great price. I do all of my own research and look strictly for price per trade or option contract, speed of transaction, conflict resolution and on-line site reliability.Please give me your reasons for not liking Scottrade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules