Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What could've caused this?

What could've caused this?
xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 02:31 PM

The hard drive in my 17" 1st gen died a few weeks back. After replacing it (with the new Seagate Momentus 160GB drive) and reinstalling I started to burn off some DVDs of pictures I've taken. I found some old DVDs that hadn't worked in my drive before (the optical drive was incredibly finicky) and decided, what the heck, let's give it a whirl.

My optical drive recognized that a blank dvd-r had just been put in, something it had never done before. I am now burning it, something that has also never happened (since the drive never recognized a blank dvd-r, I never got this far). I'm 66% of the way through and hopefully haven't jinxed this whole process by posting this thread.

Am I the only one who's perplexed by this? This is one of the exact same DVDs I tried to use pre-hard drive failure in the same exact optical drive and got nowhere with. Why would changing a HD have any impact on my optical drive? Perhaps the new OS install on a clean drive? Or maybe my computer is thanking me for dropping 160GB of hard drive heaven into it? I can't figure it out.

Just to give some more information. I have a 17" 1st gen PB with 1GB of RAM running OSX 10.4.5 (I was up to 10.4.4 before hard drive death). My optical drive is cracked so I can burn DVDs at 2x (something I had done before my hard drive died). The discs in question are Verbatim DVD-R 1-16x speed. I'm burning Canon RAW files, JPGs and PSD.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Forum Links
Forum Rules