Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Toy Chewable iPhone for my baby Daughter??

Toy Chewable iPhone for my baby Daughter??
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2009, 06:16 PM

My six month old baby daughter has become obsessed with chewing on my iPhone 3Gs, but for obvious reasons I typically find myself pulling it away from her. This used to be really cute in the beginning, but now that she is getting older, she is starting to get pissed at me that I keep taking the thing away.

Anyone know of a chewable toy iPhone that I can give to her when I pull away my real iPhone?

Thanks!
-------------------------------------------
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 17, 2009, 06:29 PM

A google search did not turn up a product for sale, but one guy solved the problem himself. Browse the photo set to see how he did it. The baby gave it a stamp of approval.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2009, 09:35 PM

LOL, there might be a market for this

My pet turtle just called, it wants a floating iPhone.

-t

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2009, 12:02 AM

A wooden iPhone! What a hilarious solution - too much skill required for me though. My 7 month old daugher does the exact same thing. For some reason, she loves playing reaching for the iPhone along with our cordless phone and remote control. Scares the bejeezus out of me when she finally gets a hold of it.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 18, 2009, 12:05 AM

If you are not into whittling, how about a new leather wallet? The size wouldn't be too different, and she probably doesn't have enough bite to tear it apart.

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2009, 01:07 AM

I searched for a solution prior to my initial post, and I also found that guy who built his own wooden iPhone for his daughter... THAT WOULD BE IDEAL!!! Remarkably, he doesn't sell them!!!
Please don't tell me to "search the forums" before posting. I can assure you that I already have!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
Remarkably, he doesn't sell them!!!
Then you didn't make an offer that he couldn't refuse

-t

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2009, 10:46 AM

I guess I was right in my prediction that more than one iPhone would become baby teethers.
http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...ers-appalling/
Probably you'll not be able to sell your 3GS now. When you upgrade, you can store the 3GS in a drawer, and give it to her when she reaches a cell-phone appropriate age.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by G-mac View Post
A wooden iPhone! What a hilarious solution - too much skill required for me though. My 7 month old daugher does the exact same thing. For some reason, she loves playing reaching for the iPhone along with our cordless phone and remote control. Scares the bejeezus out of me when she finally gets a hold of it.
I'm fairly certain it doesn't have to look *exactly* like an iPhone. Just the same basic size with rounded sides.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2009, 04:00 PM

Why don't you just buy one of those rubber iPhone cases, like the Speck and leave the printed image of iPhone icons in the plastic. It a little pricey for a chew toy, but cheaper than the iPhone. In fact, I picked up a neoprene case with the printed iphone screen image in front under plastic for free at Macworld last year, a booth was just giving them away.

moep
Senior User
Oct 21, 2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
Why don't you just buy one of those rubber iPhone cases, like the Speck and leave the printed image of iPhone icons in the plastic. It a little pricey for a chew toy, but cheaper than the iPhone. In fact, I picked up a neoprene case with the printed iphone screen image in front under plastic for free at Macworld last year, a booth was just giving them away.
Not sure if that is such a good idea, I would imagine that most of the iPhone cases are not checked for softening agents and other chemicals that could be potentially hazardous for infants.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2009, 09:35 PM

Why not get her a new thing to chew on and not perpetuate the "put the iPhone in mouth" thing? It's akin to making toys out of old socks for the dog and then getting mad at her for eating actual socks...make it taboo to eat an iPhone, real or fake.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Not sure if that is such a good idea, I would imagine that most of the iPhone cases are not checked for softening agents and other chemicals that could be potentially hazardous for infants.
I suggest then that you just keep your baby chewing on the iPhone, at least it gives you a reason to buy a new one, and you can give the old one to your baby to chew on.

andi*pandi
Oct 26, 2009, 08:12 PM

she may be fooled by any toy phone... but if it must be an iphone, looks like the toy people are on this:

Fake iPhone and BlackBerry Toy Spotted at Safeway | BlackBerry, iPhone, funny | GeekSugar - Technology & Gadgets

we also have a parents flip phone that both kids liked, you can record your voice on it. We got at Target.

Parents PM91482J Toysmith - Record A Voice Cellphone

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2009, 07:29 PM

This is what I wound up going with... I figure I would put one of my spare Incase Protective cases around it and she'll never know the difference.

DUMMY DISPLAY Toy Non Working FAKE iPhone 3G Black Toys - eBay (item 170387221693 end time Nov-24-09 07:36:51 PST)

Forum Links
Forum Rules