Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Wer'e the police, we don't have to knock, beeyatch

Wer'e the police, we don't have to knock, beeyatch
jcadam
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 08:17 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/15/sc...rch/index.html

Entering a house without announcing yourself is liable to get you shot where I live.
I for one, would reach for my 12 guage if I heard my door being kicked in at 3 in the morning.

discuss

edit: crap, I typed wer'e instead of we're, I realized this about 10 seconds after posting this thread
( Last edited by vmarks; Jun 15, 2006 at 08:53 PM. )

Rumor
Jun 15, 2006, 08:22 PM

If you have a search warrent, you really don't *need* to knock. It's more of a courtesy.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

jcadam  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 08:34 PM

an example of what happens when the police don't knock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Maye
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by jcadam
an example of what happens when the police don't knock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Maye
Sounds more like what happens when the police do knock but the occupant is a heavy sleeper.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
If you have a search warrent, you really don't *need* to knock. It's more of a courtesy.
You're right, but only as of this ruling. As usual, the conservatives want more power for the government against citizens.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 12:19 PM

Indeed. The ironic part about about the conservative members of the Supreme Court expanding government power like this is that it really endangers police officers. I simply can't think of a reason for the police not to knock and identify themselves when serving a warrant. It only takes a second or two. If they are worried about a suspect fleeing then that's why you have enough officers to surround the place and catch the guy if he runs out the back door or a window. All I know is that if I'm in my home and someone comes through my door in the middle of the night unannounced I'm likely to shoot first and ask questions later. How is the average citizen supposed to be able to distinguish between a criminal and a cop in such a situation if the police act just like the criminals?

OAW

jcadam  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
Indeed. The ironic part about about the conservative members of the Supreme Court expanding government power like this is that it really endangers police officers. I simply can't think of a reason for the police not to knock and identify themselves when serving a warrant. It only takes a second or two. If they are worried about a suspect fleeing then that's why you have enough officers to surround the place and catch the guy if he runs out the back door or a window. All I know is that if I'm in my home and someone comes through my door in the middle of the night unannounced I'm likely to shoot first and ask questions later. How is the average citizen supposed to be able to distinguish between a criminal and a cop in such a situation if the police act just like the criminals?

OAW
And remember, if you do shoot a cop, all of his buddies will testify that they identified themselves, and you KNEW that the person you shot was a police officer.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 01:34 PM

The situation should dictate whether the cops go in aggressively or not. If there is an immediate risk to someone in the home or that the occupants might destroy evidence (flush drugs, etc.) then they should knock the door down. But this should be rare.

The majority of the time, serving a search warrent should be the kind of thing where they knock and politely show the warrant, then search.

And in no case should they barge in without announcing that they are law enforcement serving a warrant.

And knocking saves the cost of a door if they don't find anything.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 21, 2006, 10:30 AM

I'm surprised this was such a close split decision.

I had no idea that some felt police should necessarily knock, if they have a valid search warrant, especially if they believe it could be a dangerous situation.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 12:47 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/15/sc...rch/index.html

Entering a house without announcing yourself is liable to get you shot where I live.
I for one, would reach for my 12 guage if I heard my door being kicked in at 3 in the morning.
So you and your neighbors keep loaded weapons near you when you sleep? Where do you live? Congo?

I think that's the problem for anyone who shoots a police officer when they enter your house. This is the United States not Mogadishu and you're more likely to get killed driving to work than you are by a home invader who is more likely interested in your wallet than your life. Safety tip for everyone involved: Police should knock. Occupants should keep their weapons locked up.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

jcadam  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac
So you and your neighbors keep loaded weapons near you when you sleep? Where do you live? Congo?

I think that's the problem for anyone who shoots a police officer when they enter your house. This is the United States not Mogadishu and you're more likely to get killed driving to work than you are by a home invader who is more likely interested in your wallet than your life. Safety tip for everyone involved: Police should knock. Occupants should keep their weapons locked up.
Burglars come at night, and most make the attempt to do so when they believe the house is unoccupied.

The new fangled "home invaders" can kick your door in at any hour --- even in broad daylight. And they are usually interested in raping and/or killing, and then, maybe, grabbing anything of value on their way out.

And I sleep with a shotgun under my bed, yes.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 11:31 AM

Burglars come at night, and most make the attempt to do so when they believe the house is unoccupied.

The new fangled "home invaders" can kick your door in at any hour --- even in broad daylight. And they are usually interested in raping and/or killing, and then, maybe, grabbing anything of value on their way out.

And I sleep with a shotgun under my bed, yes.
I feel bad for anyone who lives with so much fear in their lives that they risk the safety of the occupants of their own house in a far more statistically significant way.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 12:44 PM

Safety Tip: Don't let the police officer into your home unless they show you their badge and you verify it with the police station. Too many criminals impersonating police officers to break into homes.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
You're right, but only as of this ruling. As usual, the conservatives want more power for the government against citizens.
All this means is that criminals don't get a free pass on a technicality, which is as it should be.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Forum Links
Forum Rules