Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to drag any text to the subject line in mail??

how to drag any text to the subject line in mail??
bdmesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2010, 07:20 PM

The beautiful feature i just discovered is that one can drag any selected test for example from an open an e-mail [safari,firefox etc] to "mail" at the dock and send then the mail to any address.
this spares a lot of time if one wants to send a selected text to oneself
what can't be done [i did not discover how at least] is to drag a piece of text [one or nore selcted words in "mail" to the subject line......one has to copy and paste which is a pity because it takes the extra time one spares by the dragging from an e-mail as descrined before.
Any idea how to drag a "text" in mail to the subjectline of "mail"???
thank you

OreoCookie
Jul 20, 2010, 07:46 PM

If you browse with Safari, you can use the Send Link/Send Content feature (located in the File menu) which automatically sets up an e-mail with subject and all. If you just drag text, Mail cannot know whether you want to use the text in the body or in the subject line.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2010, 11:00 PM

You CAN drag text to the subject line once the new message window is open.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 11:02 PM

Really? I can't with Mail in Snow Leopard. Every field in the message window is a drag target except the subject field.
Vandelay Industries

bdmesq  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2010, 01:57 AM

You CAN drag text to the subject line once the new message window is open.
AKcrab

Really? I can't with Mail in Snow Leopard. Every field in the message window is a drag target except the subject field.Art Vandelay
Professional Poster

I have the experience of VandeLay and therefore I am wondering if there is no "key-combination" or "defenition" to be able to drag

If you browse with Safari, you can use the Send Link/Send Content feature (located in the File menu) which automatically sets up an e-mail with subject and all. If you just drag text, Mail cannot know whether you want to use the text in the body or in the subject line. OreoCookie
I did not discover such a thing in safari: Send Link/Send Content feature (located in the File menu)

any other suggestions?? : would highly appreciate a solution which can spare so much time and i don't I think that Mac would have left out such a simple act.[but who knows....]

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 09:27 AM

I also cannot drag text to the subject field in the German version of Mail. I can drag to it in the English version, but weirdly enough the highlight is different than that of all other fields. This is a very weird bug.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
I also cannot drag text to the subject field in the German version of Mail. I can drag to it in the English version, but weirdly enough the highlight is different than that of all other fields. This is a very weird bug.
That’s odd. I can’t drag to the subject field in the English version either (nor in the Danish version).

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Really? I can't with Mail in Snow Leopard. Every field in the message window is a drag target except the subject field.
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
That’s odd. I can’t drag to the subject field in the English version either (nor in the Danish version).
What the heck.. I tested on two different machines (iMac on 10.6.4 and a MacPro on 10.6.4 Server) and both let me drag text to the subject.

-Q-
Jul 21, 2010, 06:35 PM

Very odd. That's the only place I *can't* drag text.

http://www.xcelsior.net/downloads/Drag-text-test.mov

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 06:57 PM

If you drag text to the mail icon in the dock, and have it create a new message, the subject line is draggable.. Same goes for telling safari "Mail Link to this Page".

If you create a new message within mail... Field is not draggable.

WTF.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
If you drag text to the mail icon in the dock, and have it create a new message, the subject line is draggable.. Same goes for telling safari "Mail Link to this Page".
Not here.
Vandelay Industries

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Not here.
I stand corrected. It's ONLY if you tell Safari to "Mail Link to this Page".. I assume it has something to do with that action actually putting something in the subject line?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 09:34 PM

That doesn't work here either.
Vandelay Industries

-Q-
Jul 21, 2010, 09:43 PM

Nor here; neither Mail Contents of This Page or Mail Link to This Page provides a mail window with a subject field that allows for text to dropped into it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2010, 11:18 PM

Then I shall repeat.. WTF!?

edit: I made a quick movie, in case you all think I'm crazy, but the email contains my full name and such... Not sure how -Q- made his fancy recording.
( Last edited by AKcrab; Jul 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM. )

-Q-
Jul 22, 2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Then I shall repeat.. WTF!?
Must be the heat down here.

edit: I made a quick movie, in case you all think I'm crazy, but the email contains my full name and such... Not sure how -Q- made his fancy recording.
I changed name on one of my email addresses in mail (no, my first name isn't Ambassador. ) and then just overlapped the windows so most details were cut off. And with Snapz Pro, I just recorded the key section of the screen to focus on the 'action.'

bdmesq  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2010, 03:54 AM

I changed name on one of my email addresses in mail (no, my first name isn't Ambassador. ) and then just overlapped the windows so most details were cut off. And with Snapz Pro, I just recorded the key section of the screen to focus on the 'action.'

Latin? Chinese? anybody understood what you wrote??

-Q-
Jul 27, 2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bdmesq View Post
Latin? Chinese? anybody understood what you wrote??
You're the first who doesn't.

bdmesq  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2010, 01:50 AM

Again on of the very nice features, dragging to the icon"mail" lost much of its value as dragging anything [word/sentence] to the subject-line seems not to be possible / solvable by Mac?
At least that is my conclusion from the many answers and from own experience.
Maybe Mac can look seriously into this? I should not be a big deal to solve this,seems to me, considering all the other sophistication of Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules