Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > let's talk about firewire 400 hard drives

let's talk about firewire 400 hard drives
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2012, 04:31 PM

i need to get a 2tb firewire hard drive for my 800ghz g4 imac. i've always used lacie and have had good luck with them. they only sell one now and the system requirements call for at least 10.5 and an intel processor. is this just for their bundled software or are these requirements necessary to use the drive at all? the drive is sata and i have an internal ide drive. will this cause a problem? i know i'll have to use a special cable that will convert firewire 400 to 800. thanks. i know that i should know this stuff but i don't.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

reader50
Administrator
Dec 22, 2012, 05:19 PM

FW800 is backwards-compatible with FW400, and the mass-storage protocols have been standard for a long time. So the adapter will work, and so will the drive. The spec they give may indicate they only tested it with an Intel / 10.5

In fact, you can use this method to boot from a 2TB (or larger) drive to get around the 128 GB boot-partition limitation of your computer.

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2012, 05:40 PM

thanks reader. i just noticed that owc sells a firewire drive without all these restrictions. better warranty also.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules