Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ripit and front row on a macbook

ripit and front row on a macbook
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2013, 09:45 AM

anyone use ripit and front row on a macbook plugged into a tv set? have you been satisfied with the results? i will not be using a hdmi cable as my tv set doesn't support one. 10.6.8. old school question i know but i tend to live in the past. uncompressed.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

coitus
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2013, 03:13 PM

Gooser,

Regardless of which app you choose to back-up your media you should be able to adjust the settings to your desire output. In short, the higher the resolution, the bigger the file. I have used RipIt and it works okay thought it doesn't receive updates terribly often.

My preference, however, is to use the freeware Handbrake partnered with iDentify to tag the media and pull the cover art down. Handbrake has a crazy amount of options to tinker with but it also comes with a list of default options that you can choose to target which output you want (think Apple TV, iPhone, iPod, etc.).

To answer your question, yes, you should be satisfied with the results though I haven't used that method for years since I purchased my first Apple TV. You can simply use airplay at that point and no wires is always a great thing.

Hope this helps...

-coitus

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2013, 09:28 AM

does help. i will have a large hard drive in the laptop so i'm not really concerned about the size of the files. another question. ever have a problem with the fans running so loud that you have difficulty hearing the movie?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules