Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 143)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 07:40 PM

Yep, Falcon/Zephyr revision,. Both are very similar, and obviously as successful at fixing the 360's overheating problem.

Dakar has secured a small place in hell for having a launch system (basically) that hasn't failed yet, despite what I would call a decent amount of gaming.

Lots of revision info here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
sek, check out shadow complex?
Not yet, first check is coming my way on Monday, and I have a few bills that need urgent attention. Don't worry, though, I am not taking your recommendation lightly...if it's half the game as Super Metroid it'll be amazing.

I figure Shadow Complex could be a stop-gap game until MW2 comes out since I don't think I'll be buying ODST right away.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I figure Shadow Complex could be a stop-gap game until MW2 comes out since I don't think I'll be buying ODST right away.
What in holy hell are you talking about?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2009, 09:44 AM

Not yet, first check is coming my way on Monday, and I have a few bills that need urgent attention. Don't worry, though, I am not taking your recommendation lightly...if it's half the game as Super Metroid it'll be amazing.
Let me say that it is a TRUE modern super metroid but after finishing the main story (still have TONS of items to find to 100% achievement) that its probably only a 7hr playthrough for 100%, which for a XBLA game is quite a bit, not to mention the "proving grounds" which are some fun extra levels graded on speed.
With all that said, twords the middle/end once you get the majority of your upgrades you'll experience some of the most enjoyable gameplay ever.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 10:08 AM

Thursday News

Microsoft lifts Xbox 360 minimum 720p, anti-aliasing mandate for devs
Of course, some games that have skirted this specific TCR have still been allowed on the system; the most notable being Microsoft's own Halo 3, which runs at 1152x640 (progressive).
The question is, did MS change this to extend the console's longevity, because it has been outright ignored by several high profile games (PGR4, COD4), or is this related to Natal?

Noteworthy:
OnLive beta program is on, live

For Fatty:
New Forza 3 Screens: Antipodean Muscle

The Ten Most Avidly-Played Wii Games In America (As Of September 1) - Wii stats report - Kotaku

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 10:11 AM

Dakar has secured a small place in hell for having a launch system (basically) that hasn't failed yet, despite what I would call a decent amount of gaming.
I'd say I'm as hard on the console as anyone else. I certainly am not afraid to leave it on for long periods of time.

I think the secret is ever time I buy a new game, I sacrifice a baby before playing it.

Wait a second... the biggest Halo guy on the board isn't gonna buy ODST at launch? He's spurning it for MW2?! ...and he has a job now!?

This news might be enough to make my console fail.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 10:13 AM

makes me wonder what my elite is....
(going to check...)
EDIT: 175W, so...whats that mean..falcon?
I'm guessing your elite is the second xbox you bought? Because I'm pretty sure you've been gaming on the 360 for way longer than I have.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm guessing your elite is the second xbox you bought? Because I'm pretty sure you've been gaming on the 360 for way longer than I have.
Nope!.... its my third

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2009, 10:27 AM

Wait a second... the biggest Halo guy on the board isn't gonna buy ODST at launch?
This does seem fishy.... fatty's gonna pass up halo firefight meets?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
What in holy hell are you talking about?
Wait a second... the biggest Halo guy on the board isn't gonna buy ODST at launch? He's spurning it for MW2?! ...and he has a job now!?
This does seem fishy.... fatty's gonna pass up halo firefight meets?
That's just my plan so far, I figure someone who hasn't worked in 6 months might not deserve to buy every game he wants. The sharp end of play in H3 makes me think ODST (while fun) may be short-lived compared to MW2. Couple that with L4D2 (which I've decided to buy, yes, I'm a zombie whore) Bioshock 2, and Forza 3 and I get the feeling ODST will be forgotten.

Either that or I'm nervous I won't be able to rape you guys without my 'jumping ten feet in the air while throwing grenades' strategy.

This news might be enough to make my console fail.
I assume you're out of warranty, right?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 01:07 PM

That's just my plan so far, I figure someone who hasn't worked in 6 months might not deserve to buy every game he wants. The sharp end of play in H3 makes me think ODST (while fun) may be short-lived compared to MW2. Couple that with L4D2 (which I've decided to buy, yes, I'm a zombie whore) Bioshock 2, and Forza 3 and I get the feeling ODST will be forgotten.
I'd agree that ODST is probably the worst deal of the lot (particularly since someone bought maps he should have waited for a few months ago...). But giving into Valve... if I had any respect for you I would have lost it.

Either that or I'm nervous I won't be able to rape you guys without my 'jumping ten feet in the air while throwing grenades' strategy.
Um, what? There's no PvP in ODST, and MW2 has no 10 ft. jumping.

I assume you're out of warranty, right?
Didn't they extend all consoles to three years? If so, I have a year left yet.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 04:04 PM

I'd agree that ODST is probably the worst deal of the lot (particularly since someone bought maps he should have waited for a few months ago...). But giving into Valve... if I had any respect for you I would have lost it.
Meh

Um, what? There's no PvP in ODST, and MW2 has no 10 ft. jumping.
Ohh, I didn't know there wasn't any PvP in ODST, and MW2 makes up for no super-jumping robot by having kills pretty easy to come by, damage-wise.

Didn't they extend all consoles to three years? If so, I have a year left yet.
Here's hoping for a 'day-out-of-warranty' RRoD...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 04:09 PM

Meh
I lost all respect for you for not knowing I was joking. (Oh no we're going in circles!)

Here's hoping for a 'day-out-of-warranty' RRoD...
I like it better when you looked forward to less expensive predicaments to befall me, like your spartans balls on my helmet.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 04:12 PM

OBDT

Orbital Ball Dipping Tropper

That's right, I'm going to 'bag you from orbit. Then I'm going to buy Burnout and post a picture of me shitting on it. Then I'm buying a Wii.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 04:20 PM

Don't forget to marry Hawkeye, since you're in MA.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 04:23 PM

Nice, we can do Wii Fit Yoga together....downward facing dog all the way.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 04:34 PM

*giggle*

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 04:35 PM

I feel like revealing who the Final Cylons are right now...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2009, 04:38 PM

I'd cry like a little girl.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Comparing one last-place system that was the most powerful in its generation but suffered from a $700 launch price to another last-place system that was the most powerful in its generation but suffered from a $700 launch price is a stretch? How's that work?
Comparing one last-place system that sold between 2 million - 6 million consoles (depending on who you believe) and one currently last-place system that has sold 25+ million consoles not even halfway through its intended lifespan (and is backed by one of the largest companies in the world) is crazy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2009, 10:09 AM

You know what's crazy? How great it is to own a 360. I now last longer and find love making more pleasurable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2009, 10:41 AM

Anybody intrigued by this?
PS3's new 3D mode captured on video, coming in 2010 to all existing games

It's hard enough to get HD into homes, and this requires a special Tv.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2009, 10:51 AM

You know what's crazy? How great it is to own a 360. I now last longer and find love making more pleasurable.
I got a payrise when my boss learned of my 360 ownership.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2009, 11:10 AM

I think you are using it wrong. Making love to your 360 is not okay, in any state.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2009, 11:27 AM

Don't forget to marry Hawkeye, since you're in MA.
Big surprise this thread went down the homo trail without me hahahaha

If it's not the Wii vs PS360, it's got to be the PS3 vs 360. get over it. You guys should just admit that your fanboyism is just the way you choose to manifest your penis envy anyway.

Have you guys seen the recent numbers on the reliability of the consoles(hardware) ? i'm not surprised myself... very predictable indeed.

On a more serious note(if thats possible)....
Notice how Wii sales have tapered off in Japan and the U.S. ? what i truly find amusing is every 'hardcore' journalist(GameTrailers, IGN GameSpot specifically) decided to come out of the woodwork and trumpet the death of the Wii, but conveniently forget to mention(or even realize maybe) that the competitors are so far behind in total and monthly sales as well. For some reason this is a sign that the 'wii' is 'drying' (despite still selling magnitudes more than their preferred consoles.

Totally disillusioned. what a sad niche. haha

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
First post back and you're insulting everyone! Way to go!

On a more serious note(if thats possible)....
Notice how Wii sales have tapered off in Japan and the U.S. ? what i truly find amusing is every 'hardcore' journalist(GameTrailers, IGN GameSpot specifically) decided to come out of the woodwork and trumpet the death of the Wii, but conveniently forget to mention(or even realize maybe) that the competitors are so far behind in total and monthly sales as well. For some reason this is a sign that the 'wii' is 'drying' (despite still selling magnitudes more than their preferred consoles.
No surprise nothing's changed. It's called math, hawkeye.

Here's a great example: Vista didn't really sell well compared to previous WIndows OSes. Everyone called it a failure, but I'll bet you it still moved more copies than OS X. So, are journalists that point that out fanboys? Are we OS X users a "sad niche"?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2009, 01:19 PM

There's a certain breed of journalist that loves to take any negative info it can find about a hot item and use that to trumpet said hot item's death — it makes for good headlines. (See all the "Is this the iPhone-killer?" articles.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2009, 01:31 PM

If it's not the Wii vs PS360, it's got to be the PS3 vs 360. get over it. You guys should just admit that your fanboyism is just the way you choose to manifest your penis envy anyway.
I'm wearing a Metroid shirt right now and 3 out of the 6 consoles I've owned are NIntendo. I praise the PS1 and PS2 for their amazing games and rather brilliant controllers for their time. My penis is slightly above average and it pleasures my girlfriend fine, but if we are going down the 'comparing our penii via our gaming consoles' road then lets compare, shall we.

The PS3 is a monster cock. Big, thick, meaty... The king of all cocks yet most people wouldn't even want it. It's just to much. Sure there are a few folks who want nothing but, sadly it doesn't appeal to everyone.

The 360 is is a 5 inch penis owned by a drunken fratboy. Well enough in skilled hands yet sometimes has too much to drink and can't get it up. Might get a the red ring of STD after to much 'play'

The Wii is a flaccid old man's penis. Sure a few generations back it might have been really something to behold, but now bad control of his motion coupled with lackluster 'hardware' have made him pretty useless in the dating scene.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

Have you guys seen the recent numbers on the reliability of the consoles(hardware) ? i'm not surprised myself... very predictable indeed.
Welcome to 3 years ago? Hey genius, I'm on my fourth Xbox 360 system and I plan on buying several more games before the year is out. Either I'm a fanboy or a dedicated gamer, who likes great games and couldn't give a sh!t about what system they run on.

Oh just shut-up and go play Conduit, with it's N64 graphics (even Perfect Dark looked better) and awful, AWFUL controls. Don't forget to buy the Wii Motion Plus so it actually works halfway decent. In fact, just go ahead and keep buying a bunch of white plastic sillyness since every Wii game has to sell a related bullsh!t periphrial. Then turn on your DVD player because the Wii sure can't do that either.

I have yet to see a single thing on the Wii that actually impressed me past the first few seconds of using one. The interface is garbage, the menus are convoluted, the friend code is something out of Satan's own mind, the internet app is a complete POS, the games are poorly planned and have even worse menus, et cetera, et cetera.

If all you have is the 360 failure rate, then keep flogging the horse till it's bones.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2009, 01:41 PM

The Wii is a flaccid old man's penis.
Primarily for children and housewives? This thread is taking a turn for the disturbing.
Chuck
___

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2009, 01:46 PM

Primarily for children and housewives? This thread is taking a turn for the disturbing.
That's how they roll in ultra-liberal Massachusetts.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2009, 04:16 PM

This page makes me feel all dirty.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2009, 09:03 PM

Final Dakar,
Aww did i hurt your feelings ? here's 50c go buy yourself a pair. (My disillusioned comment was directed to those 'journalists'; stop being so sensitive)

Final Dakar & Sek...

What you fanboys are forgetting, is that personal opinion/preference does not factor in here.(it just so happens my preference is #1 in the market now ) neither does horse power, ghz, cores, RAM or HD. get over it..... back in the PPC days no one bought a mac cause it was 'faster'(ghz, etc) than a windoze box or more compatible, etc....

Irrespective of your shouting of games(which always seem to fall into the same 2-3 genres for some reason) or horsepower(which frankly only your minute niche cares about), it's apparent that the general population values some other ideals in these products, whatever they may be.

You can stop bringing up Windows vs OSX and PS2 vs GCN, etc.... i never claimed those products didnt have the marketshare/mindshare/revenue streams/etc..... despite my preference. Windows might be a pos (like the PS2 hardware imo), but the companies behind them did something 'right'/better than their competitors that placed them in the #1 spot, whatever the reason.

Sek, your penis analogy is great for 'illustrating' your preference (which quite frankly doesnt matter to anyone but you).... but thanks anyway.

In the market, here's what it's really like...
-The Wii is a Tesla, bleeding edge as far as ideas
-The PS3 is a Hummer, powerful
-The XB360 is a vehicle with a 25-30% failure rate (as to be expected from said manufacturer), i guess one of those gas guzzling eastern european cars or something.

My personal opinion....

As for beating a dead horse, when i buy a product an unsaid requirement is reliability. if it's primary function fails, no matter what 'accessories' i get for it, they are rendered useless.... so if something has a 30% chance of failing, my money is better spent elsewhere. But i guess a fanboy would buy it anyway.

I'm not buying Conduit, but i do have MadWorld.

Horsepower improvements are predictable and expected, no 'genius' required there. it's safe to say that the next products from these companies will be more powerful than the current crop. but what's interesting, is seeing how blatantly the competition has 'borrowed' and +1'ed the Wii as far as motion controls. "Embrace, Extend, Exterminate".... great motto for those who are incapable for thinking outside the box (Microsoft specifically). But whatever, they failed to be #1 by any measure(money, marketshare, library, etc) in this console cycle, whether your man enough to admit that or not. But im "glad" they're making games for your tiny niche to keep you happy. Who knows maybe after ripping off the ideas from another company they might have a chance next time, that is.....assuming the 'geniuses' in that other company stop inventing.

Despite respecting Nintendo for it's innovations and owning a Wii, i am considering a PS3 as well...primarily for the exclusives game, and secondly for a BR player. Ill consider a M$ product when it's meets my standards of innovation and reliability.

So yeah continue beating your dead horse of games(FPS, FPS, FPS,...) and horsepower, etc....cause it's 'apparent' that everyone cares about those same things you do in a gaming console.

My Point.... Just admit that not all people who want to play games are 'core' gamers, or care about the same things you do. and thats why the Wii took off.

As far as Journos who take sides like mentioned before....they're doing a bad job as journalists. their fanboyism boils over into their work, and they end up alienating the largest section of the market. Maybe they feel emasculated considering their opinion doesnt really matter that much anymore (as predicted by me a couple of years ago).
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2009, 11:10 AM

What you fanboys are forgetting, is that personal opinion/preference does not factor in here.(it just so happens my preference is #1 in the market now ) neither does horse power, ghz, cores, RAM or HD. get over it..... back in the PPC days no one bought a mac cause it was 'faster'(ghz, etc) than a windoze box or more compatible, etc....
Windows is the #1 on the market too, and it's up there due to the same reason the Wii is, people just don't know any better. Three of my friends have Wiis, none of them play it with any semblance of regularity because the games are awful.

I never mentioned ghz, cores, RAM, or any of that BS you chose to rant about...I only mentioned games that don't look like re-hashes of N64 games. The reason we bought PPC Macs back in the day because the software was the killer app, it's always been about the MacOS, not the hardware it runs on...sound familiar?

Irrespective of your shouting of games(which always seem to fall into the same 2-3 genres for some reason) or horsepower(which frankly only your minute niche cares about), it's apparent that the general population values some other ideals in these products, whatever they may be.
Lets list the genres I own...

First-Person Shooter
Survival Horror
Third Person Action
Racing Simulator
Action Role-Playing Game

Wow, I guess I don't just own all FPS. How many games do you have in total? I have 14. How many of your Wii games have you played for dozens and dozens of hours? Also, again with the horsepower? Metroid Prime on the GC had spectacular graphics, most games on the Wii are so shoddy because they are thrown together to make money. Wii sports resort has bowling in it, there's some real innovation going on at NIntendo (roll eyes)

The general population are retarded, as shown by the popularity of the worst music, movies, TV shows, etc... If all you have is that the Wii is the most popular then there isn't much to discuss here, you don't care that the system is underpowered, you don't care that the majority of games are shining examples of terrible game design, and you don't seem to care that the Motion Controls rarely add any useful gameplay that couldn't easily be done with a controller instead of a wagging wrist.

You can stop bringing up Windows vs OSX and PS2 vs GCN, etc....
Once you stop sucking the Wiis cock maybe....and we all know that ain't gonna happen. I've said dozens of times the 360 is the biggest POS console quality-wise that has ever been made...you can't even admit the smallest fault with the Wii and that makes you the only fanboy around.

In the market, here's what it's really like...
Giggle, oh boy, you tell it like it is!

-The Wii is a Tesla, bleeding edge as far as ideas
-The PS3 is a Hummer, powerful
-The XB360 is a vehicle with a 25-30% failure rate (as to be expected from said manufacturer), i guess one of those gas guzzling eastern european cars or something.
Terrible analogy. The Tesla is a supercar, so instantly that ain't the Wii. The 360 failure rate has nothing to do with it's games, which you are quick to discount as exercises in polygon boasting but you fail to recognize the sacrifices the Wii had to made regarding gameplay once they introduced shoddy motion controls.

The Wii is a Toyota, sure it's a car that will go from A to B, but who cares? Also it's extremely popular.
The PS3 is the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. Mega-powerful and sexy as hell, was to pricy for most people.
The 360 is the Dodge Viper. American Muscle, prone to failure, but still winning races.

As for beating a dead horse, when i buy a product an unsaid requirement is reliability. if it's primary function fails, no matter what 'accessories' i get for it, they are rendered useless.... so if something has a 30% chance of failing, my money is better spent elsewhere. But i guess a fanboy would buy it anyway.
A person would buy a warranty and get new systems every time one fails, making sure he gets to keep his impressive game library. I look for reliability in cars, TVs, computers, etc. I look for F U C K I N G G A M E S when I buy a game system.

My Point.... Just admit that not all people who want to play games are 'core' gamers, or care about the same things you do. and thats why the Wii took off.
The Wii took off because it was an ingenious gimmick marketed around a broken motion controlling scheme that doesn't add anything to gameplay that wasn't already there. In fact in most cases the motion controls hinder what should easily be done via a conventional controller scheme. I consider MSes and Sonys attempt at bring motion into their consoles a pathetic pandering to a market of people who don't actually play games for long periods of time.

I really don't get all this ' you feel envy, emasculated, etc' BS you keep saying over and over. I love my 360, I love the games, I love dumping 300 hours into a role-playing world expertly crafted by long-time gaming industry innovators, I love playing online matchmaking against people in New Zealand, I love watching Netflix movies in a split second, I love playing 1 vs 100, I love signing on and playing with Dakar, Stogie, Rumor, Bogues, Chuckit, and Maroma.

If anything the blind hatred you have of the 360, based solely on sales numbers and failure rates (what are you, a ****ing accountant?) reeks of ency more than anything else. The original Xbox was more reliable, but it's games weren't nearly as awesome as this current MS console, and in the end that's the only reason we spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming system to begin with.

I look forward to your off-base reply where you ignore everything I've just said and bring up the same tired BS again.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2009, 11:33 AM

It sounds like somebody is a fanboyism fanboy.
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2009, 11:49 AM

I love how I espouse my love of all good games on all systems and yet I still, somehow, get called a 360 fanboy.

If I were rich I'd own all three. If I had a HDTV I would've considered a PS3. Neither of those are true so I picked the best gaming bang-for-your-buck system, which I consider to be the 360.

OMG, I'm a fanboi!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2009, 03:59 PM

I love signing on and playing with Dakar, Stogie, Rumor, Bogues, Chuckit, and Maroma.
You really know how to make someone feel like a red-headed bastard step child. *sniff*

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2009, 04:00 PM

The Wii is a Toyota, sure it's a car that will go from A to B, but who cares? Also it's extremely popular.
The PS3 is the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. Mega-powerful and sexy as hell, was to pricy for most people.
The 360 is the Dodge Viper. American Muscle, prone to failure, but still winning races.
Perfect analogy. good work.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2009, 07:14 PM

Except, I like my Toyota and wouldn't give it up for a Saleen or Viper. I got sick of my Wii when I realized I almost never looked forward to any games.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Except, I like my Toyota and wouldn't give it up for a Saleen or Viper. I got sick of my Wii when I realized I almost never looked forward to any games.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2009, 11:32 PM

Sek....

Good grief.....

Toyotas, Windows, PS2, etc.... they 'won' because they did something right that the competitors could not do. NOT because consumer are just 'stupid' or some other idiotic superiority-complex bs that makes one feel theyre on a higher pedestal (something ive noticed of the male techno dweebs). As far as 'stupid' consumers.... i wonder if one could consider a consumer stupid if they support a product with a 30% failure rate (magnitudes higher than the competitors). but thats another, probably too strenuous, discussion for some given their affiliations.

Now to the part where i agree with you on something:
There are far fewer 'quality' third party titles on the Wii. i have no problem admitting that.... but i wondnt take it out on Nintendo or the consumers. im going to try and 'reason' with you once again.... we both 'game'...right ? and as you've mentioned, it's not the 'console' that you care about, it's the games, right ? so if a developer makes an honestly good game for the Wii...would you buy it ? for arguments sake...Conduit, Madworld, were all made for the 'core' gamers(the demographic you most likely fit into)....have you bought them ? why not ? is it because the product Nintendo put out is 'bad' ? or because the quality of the software didnt appeal to you as much as those titles on XB/PS ? i bought Madworld cause it's unique and hilarious. i guess my point here is.... when these third parties claim to make a 'core' titles, none of you guys(who even own Wiis) pick it up.... and you go on ranting and raving that it's Nintendo's fault. when its a subpar effort form the developers.

Remember the Rock band fiasco a couple of years ago ? when those idiots at that company said the Wii couldnt handle DLC or online gaming, or have the horse power to do what they wanted ? And some idiotic fanboys agreed with it cause it probably made them feel 'special' about their purchase and the best they could do was port the PS2 version over ? Well why is it that the guys from GH managed to do all that ? and why is Rock Band now offering said features on this supposedly 'crippled' system ? (and probably selling better). If i were you i'd vent my anger towards lazy/cheap developers. heck even when making a direct port of a PS2 game(Okami) they managed to f*ck it up with no attention to detail what-so-ever (and it ended up selling more than it did on the PS2 (units and attach rate)). should i blame Nintendo for the poor quality of that title ?

Nintendo's purpose is to provide a 'platform' with as large a marketshare as possible for develoeprs to try and cater to. they just happen to make the most innovative gameplay devices and games in the industry imo. if third parties cannot or will not try to cater to the owners of that platform...well thats a missed opportunity for them.

Also to note.... the Wii is getting Modern Warfare(like 2 years too late), with all the game modes, etc....but most of the people who wanted that game probably ended up getting an XB/PS... if that game is possible today. why didnt the publishers/developers ensure a simultaneous release from the same developers instead of being outsourced? if they will not commit to the platform how can they expect their software to sell ?

On a final note your car analogy fails one rather important test.....
There never was a Viper or a Saleen that tried to copy a Toyota's innovation. it's always been the other way around. Stop thinking about the 'power' and look at the 'idea' instead. I'd buy a 100mhz computer running MacOS1.0 rather than a 1.0Ghz computer running DOS. (ie the interface of the Mac would overcome the power deficit to me. just like the Wiimote has for the Wii...and which is why the other two have been scrambling trying to replicate it).

While i know we probably wont agree on this issue.... if you do have a Wii... i'd recommend the staple Nintendo franchise(Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid prime Trilogy(great value imo)) as great titles, and Madworld, Zach & Wiki and definitely World of Goo). back in the days of the GCN, developers and fanboys complained that the limited storage space was reason why developers didnt like the system...yet we saw games like Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, etc on the system. Developers tend to whine and ignore the Nintendo system for whatever reason.... vent your frustration on them.

Conduit, Madworld,...all new franchizes....compare their 'success' (monetary and units) to other new franchises on the XB/PS consoles.... like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, etc.

So yeah the day when Dodge and the Saleen scramble to copy ideas from Toyota, let me know. as far as power and speed, etc.... inconsequential to me personally.

And on the notion that the Wii is a gimmick/novelty. seems to me that gimmick/novelty is soon going to become a standard for the entire industry(motion controls, direct pointing, 2-handed controllers, etc)....beats the definition of a gimmick imo. as opposed to say....Microsoft lowering their HD standards for developers cause they've figured out that it doesnt matter that much anymore, but whatever. So which one's the marketing/sales gimmick here ?

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 5, 2009 at 11:40 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2009, 05:50 AM

The fact that other companies are releasing motion control peripherals doesn't mean it's "a standard." Everybody had a light gun back in the '90s, and just look how not-a-novelty that was.

I have a Wii. I got it as soon as it was available here because I thought it had a lot of potential. But you know what? There's next to nothing worth playing on that thing. MadWorld is just ultraviolent rubbish, World of Goo is good but I already played it on the computer, and I admit that Metroid Prime was great — when I played it on the GameCube seven years ago.

I remember I rented that Splinter Cell for the Wii a while back, because hey, how can you mess up Splinter Cell? It was completely awful. The motion controls didn't work and the graphics were so bad I couldn't tell whether I was in the light or dark without looking at the little meter in the corner (wow, it's not just eyecandy). Mario Kart Wii was the worst entry in the series. The number of worthy titles the Wii has accumulated over its three years of life can be counted on one hand.

I wish the Wii were a good video game system, because that would mean Nintendo didn't con me out of $350. I have trouble even classifying it as a video game system. It's a platform for selling really expensive Flash games and peripherals. Yes, it's been successful at attracting the "casual" crowd, but when all your core audience really wants is a crossword puzzle with Mario characters, you're not pushing the state of the art or even creating something of interest to actual gamers. It's OK to be the company that offers pablum for the masses, but some people seem to want to try and present it as more, and it just isn't.
Chuck
___

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2009, 07:08 AM

Well i would hardly equate the light-gun 'success' to the Wii's controller. Sure core gamer's don't like it right now, but once Sony/Microsoft come out with their version, i reckon their minds will change about it (although not about Nintendo). But yeah, it just go happens (again) that tomorrow's controller's ideas were pioneered on a Nintendo platform. I'd equate the industry's adoption of the Wiimote more akin to the d-pad.

As far as Wii games.... i'm agreeing with you guys on that. Third parties, have always seems to just throw the console a bone every now n then, which baffles me..... lower dev costs, larger installed base, etc..... either they got light-headed-business-school-frat-joks running the show or Nintendo is doing something wrong when courting developers. (Personally the opportunity to make money should be enough, but maybe there's something going on behind the scenes im not aware of).

And as far as the Wii's graphics.... third parties have been TERRIBLE, i agree with you on that. i mean even the PS2 ports looked bad.... but i could hardly fault the hardware or Nintendo.....2 years ago we got Metroid Prime Corruption and Super Mario Galaxy, and this year we got Conduit (which according to SEGA is already profitable... pretty good for a brand new IP imo). If games of that visual fidelity were possible 2 years ago, there's no reason they're not possible today. right ? (im not THAT interested in the Conduit, but you have to admit it looks great... especially compared to other third party titles). And now, im looking at footage of games like Monster Hunter3, No More Heroes 2, Spectrobes, Red Steel 2... ad they look years ahead of what anyone thought possible on the system at launch.(notice the sequels to new franchises, which means someones making money on the system)

I mean, if i were to pick a couple of third party games that actually had TLC put into it by the developers for the Wii, it would have to be Guitar Hero and Tiger Woods 10...and look at the results (critical and market). "Good" games are possible on the system, the fact that developers are lazy/cheap/uninterested.... is entirely their fault.

I classify you XB/PS gamers as 'core' gamers..... while you might blame Nintendo for lack of quality core titles, i guess my question to you would be... of the third party titles directed towards the 'core' demographic on the Wii, why did you never feel the urge to buy them ? personally, for me they lack polish(bugs, features, etc) when compared to comparable titles on the the other systems. And when you dont buy said titles, why are you pinning blame on Nintendo ? When i look at the Conduit or House of the Dead, etc...and then see Boshock, Assasins creed, etc...there's a definite divide there (quality/story/something), imo. But where you guys seem to think the latter are not possible on the Wii, i can point to GCN games from third parties or first party Wii games which are just as engaging, stunning.

You said youre not a fan of Madworld.... fair enough. the published touted it as a 'core' title. it didnt appeal to the intended audience, yet other games on the other consoles did. why ?

After Metroid Prime 3, Nintendo pretty much stepped off the 'core' playing field (maybe cause third parties were complaining about 'competing' with Nintendo)...that was late 2007, right ? so the window of opportunity to release a 'core' game for you 'core' gamers was there, we know the console is capable technically and economically, so why did third parties not do so ? And why is that Nintendo's fault again ? (can't blame the controls..... considering any 'core' gamer can pop in a GCN controller if needed).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2009, 03:22 PM

Well i would hardly equate the light-gun 'success' to the Wii's controller.
I wouldn't equate Natal to the Wii's controller either. Unless Microsoft completely forbids non-Natal development and decides to go 100% in the direction of the Wii, it's not going to take over. It's MS and Sony's efforts that I think are going to be the light-gun.

Sure core gamer's don't like it right now, but once Sony/Microsoft come out with their version, i reckon their minds will change about it (although not about Nintendo).
Only if Microsoft is a lot cleverer about it and puts a lot more effort into its me-too peripheral than Nintendo did into the Wii.

As far as Wii games.... i'm agreeing with you guys on that. Third parties, have always seems to just throw the console a bone every now n then, which baffles me..... lower dev costs
It's cheaper if you want to limit what you make. It's harder to make a good game, maybe even impossible for some ideas. Even Miyamoto says the Wii limits him from doing what he would like to do — and that was on an SNES-style side-scroller. Also, most developers like doing cross-platform games, and they are both hard to make and tend to do poorly on the Wii.

I classify you XB/PS gamers as 'core' gamers..... while you might blame Nintendo for lack of quality core titles, i guess my question to you would be... of the third party titles directed towards the 'core' demographic on the Wii, why did you never feel the urge to buy them ? personally, for me they lack polish(bugs, features, etc) when compared to comparable titles on the the other systems. And when you dont buy said titles, why are you pinning blame on Nintendo ?
I agree with you on why I don't like those games — they're just an inferior product. As for why I blame Nintendo: Well, what's the differentiating factor that makes these games suck so badly on Wii and not on the other systems? Am I to assume all the third parties are sabotaging their own profits just to make Nintendo look bad? It seems to me that Nintendo has made a system that's poorly suited to these games. Nintendo has also focused its marketing and first-party efforts on the non-core market, so there aren't as many of them on the platform in the first place. If Twilight Princess hadn't been Nintendo's only decent "core" game for a long time, maybe other companies would have felt more welcome to do it.

(can't blame the controls..... considering any 'core' gamer can pop in a GCN controller if needed).
Only if the game allows it. And if the game allows it, you're losing the Wii's one distinguishing characteristic and essentially just making a power-starved Xbox game. It's kind of a catch-22: The Wii controller has issues, but what's the point of the Wii without the controller?
Chuck
___

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2009, 10:57 AM

Also, most developers like doing cross-platform games, and they are both hard to make and tend to do poorly on the Wii.
If developers 'like doing cross-platform', we should have seen a lot more games on the XB/GCN than the PS2, right? it's all about the money imo. and given the fact that the XB360+PS3 installed base is roughly that of the Wii's, should'nt developing for one system cost a lot less than developing for two ?

I agree with you on why I don't like those games — they're just an inferior product. As for why I blame Nintendo: Well, what's the differentiating factor that makes these games suck so badly on Wii and not on the other systems?
That's my question to you. If Nintendo can muster up game-of-the-year material on the console despite it's relative technical shortcoming, why havent third parties even attempted ?

Am I to assume all the third parties are sabotaging their own profits just to make Nintendo look bad? It seems to me that Nintendo has made a system that's poorly suited to these games.
Thats what the third parties say. but what's the reason ? Marketing/technical/dev costs/support ? (dont just restate what they are saying, tell me why)

Nintendo has also focused its marketing and first-party efforts on the non-core market, so there aren't as many of them on the platform in the first place. If Twilight Princess hadn't been Nintendo's only decent "core" game for a long time, maybe other companies would have felt more welcome to do it.
I don't follow, are you saying that Nintendo marketed a 'casual' system, but then also makes 'core' titles(hence marketing to core gamers) ? it can't all possibly be about how the system is marketed. heck the PS3 is marketed as a movie player half the time, but you still get good content on it .

Every reason you guys have thrown out just seemed to fall flat eventually. first it was that the graphics suck, but then you realize that 'good' visuals are still possible (SMG, MP3, MH3, Conduit, etc). Next it was DLC...that was easily overcome by a third-party, online play (not the easiest)... but very possible, look at the Conudit's options, games don't sell...but when an honest effort was put in (Guitar Hero, Tiger Woods, Monster Hunter 3, Shaun White Snow Boarding, etc) all sell best on the system, and in turn make money....notice the variety of genres there.

If the 'core' Wii titles dont appeal to you ask the third parties why they arent writing that software for the system, or why they are diluting it. You guys are 'core' gamers...they claim to be courting you, why arent you impressed ?i know why i'm not....but it's not the system, cause im still impressed by other games on the same box. Half arsed efforts with a lot of hype doesnt make a good game imo. if and when i see an honest effort from third parties and the game does not sell, ill eat my words, but it's folloy to assume it wont happen because, imo, inferior products dont sell. Chicken n egg argument here. (show me a honest effort on Wii..... AAA studio, marketing, brand recognition, TLC, etc that has not sold)

Only if the game allows it. And if the game allows it, you're losing the Wii's one distinguishing characteristic and essentially just making a power-starved Xbox game. It's kind of a catch-22: The Wii controller has issues, but what's the point of the Wii without the controller?
Well.... if a 'core' title want to court core gamers, and core gamers, like you guys, say you hate motion controls, wouldnt that be a major selling point ? heck if Nintendo could include support for the old controllers in Smash Brothers and mario Kart, i doubt it would take some miracle for third parties to include support. but then again we're talking about attention to detail and TLC here, something only the Guitar hero guys have so far have actually put onto the system (and im not even a music-genre fan).

If you do have a Wii, play MP3 (or better yet Metroid Prime Trilogy), personally i liked it a lot...it wasnt a frag fest, but it was engaging and atmospheric with a lot of TLC, and the visuals were amazing imo. i played through it twice.... and you'd be surprised at how much better the original Metroid Prime(from 7 years ago) looks compared to most third-party core titles on the Wii... despite the box being capable of 'twice the power' (two GCNs duct-taped together, right?).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2009, 05:07 PM

Warning: Long post ahead. (Though it actually looks longer than it is because of all the quotes.)

If developers 'like doing cross-platform', we should have seen a lot more games on the XB/GCN than the PS2, right? it's all about the money imo. and given the fact that the XB360+PS3 installed base is roughly that of the Wii's, should'nt developing for one system cost a lot less than developing for two ?
Somewhat, but that "one system" would generally be the Xbox or PS3, because their installed base of people who are interested in the developers' product appears to be much greater than the Wii's.

Thats what the third parties say. but what's the reason ? Marketing/technical/dev costs/support ? (dont just restate what they are saying, tell me why)
1. Wonky controls. As I said before, you have two choices with the Wii: awkward motion controls or awkward standard controls. I'm honestly not sure which is the worse choice. I wish there were a "good motion controls" option.

2. It's marketed to the wrong userbase — for that kind of game. It would be a great platform for PopCap, and I really can't understand why they haven't gotten behind the Wii. This is actually the biggest problem, I think. Nobody has any faith that the audience for serious games is there — because they probably aren't. It looks like a chicken-and-egg problem, but Microsoft solved it pretty easily just by buying Bungie.

3. It's difficult to match your peers' games on other systems due to the Wii's limitations. For instance, people these days love online multiplayer, but the Wii's support for it is at roughly the same level as the PlayStation 2. This also applies to limited computing power meaning that sophisticated AI, physics and graphical effects are harder to do. Like I said, even Shigeru Miyamoto says the Wii is holding him back, and he comes from the old days when developers had to really strain to make games work on the hardware. When even Miyamoto would be happier developing for the Xbox, it's hard to blame third parties for feeling the same way.

I don't follow, are you saying that Nintendo marketed a 'casual' system, but then also makes 'core' titles(hence marketing to core gamers) ?
I'm saying Nintendo has primarily positioned the Wii as a "casual" system, marketing it toward them and devoting the bulk of its time to them, and on rare occasions it puts out titles that might interest "core" gamers. But it has even fewer worthwhile titles for that kind of player than the PS3 does right now.

Every reason you guys have thrown out just seemed to fall flat eventually. first it was that the graphics suck, but then you realize that 'good' visuals are still possible (SMG, MP3, MH3, Conduit, etc). Next it was DLC...that was easily overcome by a third-party, online play (not the easiest)... but very possible, look at the Conudit's options, games don't sell...but when an honest effort was put in (Guitar Hero, Tiger Woods, Monster Hunter 3, Shaun White Snow Boarding, etc) all sell best on the system, and in turn make money....notice the variety of genres there.
So you're saying that if people want to expend a herculean effort, they can make a Wii game that's almost in the same ballpark as a game they could have made easily for any other system? And you think that means my arguments fall flat? It sounds like you're agreeing with me — it's harder to make a good game for the Wii.

And three of the four games you listed were either sports games or Guitar Hero. They're the most cookie-cutter thing on the planet — even more so than actual cookies.

If you do have a Wii, play MP3 (or better yet Metroid Prime Trilogy), personally i liked it a lot...it wasnt a frag fest, but it was engaging and atmospheric with a lot of TLC, and the visuals were amazing imo. i played through it twice.... and you'd be surprised at how much better the original Metroid Prime(from 7 years ago) looks compared to most third-party core titles on the Wii... despite the box being capable of 'twice the power' (two GCNs duct-taped together, right?).
Thanks for the tip. I actually have it coming up pretty soon on my list.
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 01:51 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2009, 01:28 PM

Final Dakar,
Aww did i hurt your feelings ? here's 50c go buy yourself a pair.
*slow clap* Well done, hawkeye, well done. I hope you continue to class up this thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Don't worry, it's all about the innovative motion controls, right? Technically the game could look like Star Fox for SNES and still be revolutionary, who cares if the game that preceded it by 7 years looks better?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2009, 06:01 AM

*slow clap* Well done, hawkeye, well done. I hope you continue to class up this thread.
Kudos on the new pair

Don't worry, it's all about the innovative motion controls, right? Technically the game could look like Star Fox for SNES and still be revolutionary, who cares if the game that preceded it by 7 years looks better?
You know, it doesn't have to be either extreme. All developers had to do(including Nintendo) was to make games that looked better than what they did on the GCN. not that difficult considering we got 2XGCN+ducttape here. And a much better control scheme option than the competition which was a generation behind in interactivity(at least until they release their copies).

If Nintendo had literally released just a GCN+Wiimote they would'nt have my support, but the fact that they released a balanced product and didnt JUST focus on one aspect(*cough*power*cough*) makes it an overall better product imo. (take the product's success as factual proof).

But as far as these missing 'fluorishes'in these last gen ports i must admit i am disappointed in Nintendo. Heck i own the originals and have played through each twice, i was considering this product for the convenience and the controls, but i'll pass, as it's obvious the polish is missing.

In fact i'm a little peeved off that even when they had an awesome product in the wings(MP3C) they barely promoted it at all. And it did seem like they were 'ignoring' the core. But at the same time Nintendo is not the only company writing software, and it's that much more disappointing when other companies dont release core titles for the system.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2009, 06:26 AM

1. Wonky controls. As I said before, you have two choices with the Wii: awkward motion controls or awkward standard controls. I'm honestly not sure which is the worse choice. I wish there were a "good motion controls" option.

2. It's marketed to the wrong userbase — for that kind of game. It would be a great platform for PopCap, and I really can't understand why they haven't gotten behind the Wii. This is actually the biggest problem, I think. Nobody has any faith that the audience for serious games is there — because they probably aren't. It looks like a chicken-and-egg problem, but Microsoft solved it pretty easily just by buying Bungie.

3. It's difficult to match your peers' games on other systems due to the Wii's limitations. For instance, people these days love online multiplayer, but the Wii's support for it is at roughly the same level as the PlayStation 2. This also applies to limited computing power meaning that sophisticated AI, physics and graphical effects are harder to do. Like I said, even Shigeru Miyamoto says the Wii is holding him back, and he comes from the old days when developers had to really strain to make games work on the hardware. When even Miyamoto would be happier developing for the Xbox, it's hard to blame third parties for feeling the same way.
1. The Wiimote is a 'default option', and i found it versatile enough to play a game like Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Galaxy which make minimal use of the motion controls(which i assume are the 'wonky controls'.... it does have buttons and an analog stick too. And if you find it ergonomically annoying/wonky, ports for the old GCN controllers are available, as well as the classic controller which resembles the old PS2/3 controllers.

2. As far as marketing.... i remember when i got back into console gaming, and Microsoft had just announced they'd be entering the market. 'George Harrison' made it a point to emphasize that Nintendo was focused on the 'kids/children''s market. THAT WAS BAD MARKETING. Marketing a product to ANYONE is good marketing. first rule of business (imo)..... sell to everyone. At the same time i agree, Nintendo has ignored the mature gamer market almost completely (no mario and Zelda do not qualify, and neither does that abomination called day of disaster) They could have solved it by buying a studio like Retro or Factor5, etc like you said. Maybe what you're trying to get at, is that there isnt a single first party title that appeals to the mature audience and thus alienating that segment ?

3. Yeah i know about the difference in power, and the hit to complexity that takes. But i've played quite a few games on the system, which overcome that limitation, not with pure horsepower but with engaging and atmospheric gameplay. heck, OOT looks horrible these days as does the original Toumb raider, Metal Gear, Conquer, SM64, etc... but they were/are still engaging and fun.

My disappointment in Nintendo is the fact that they are almost completely focused on the 'casual', the last core title imo was SMG (Did anyone buy punchout?) 2 years ago. But i'm also disgusted with third parties not even trying on the system, at LEAST make games that look better than the GCN, thats all i'm saying, we know the system is capable of at least that. Technically, if HVS and activision can put the resurces into making a technically representative title of the system, so can any other studio... the hardware is the same as it was 3 years ago, yet Conduit and GHWT could be considered a level above all other Wii software (online, visuals, DLC, etc...what people didnt think possible on the system (and apparently some still do)).

You guys wouldnt support sub par quality in software, nether would i, and neither would any other customer, especially when it's so blatantly obvious that most third party stuff on the system is shovelware and ps2 ports. i'm not buying it, you're not buying it, what makes you think anyone else will ? Obviously that stuff is not going to sell... my point is: the titles that have received the attention to detail a product *should* have, have succeeded on this system (cookie cutter or not)..... so the market IS THERE. it is a chicken and egg problem, because unless you have a titles that fits the AAA criterios, you can't just assume they wont sell..thats pure speculation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules