Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Crackdown 2

Crackdown 2
Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2010, 11:22 PM

Anyone bought it? I enjoyed the first one, except for trying to find all the orbs and a couple of the achievements. But I'm unsure how this new one is going to play out.

I might just download the demo and se what it's like before I buy. I don't usually rely on demos.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2010, 01:43 AM

I was all but ready to buy it until I started reading reviews. More of the same is okay, but from everything I've heard Crackdown 2 is a half-assed remake with mutant zombies.

Maybe once it hits the $30 mark.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2010, 06:51 PM

IDK, I played a few hours of it last night, felt pretty darn derivative after 10 minutes. The zombie thing is super excessive to the point where it becomes frustrating how many zombies are around. There are times when you literally can't go down a city street without hearing the zombie "crunch" sound effect over every other sound effect.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2010, 06:56 PM

Ya, I was really looking forward to this after loving the first Crackdown but every single review I've read has panned it badly. The consensus seems to be that the agility mechanics are still fun like the first game but if you've played the first game already it is basically boring as hell beyond that.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
IDK, I played a few hours of it last night, felt pretty darn derivative after 10 minutes. The zombie thing is super excessive to the point where it becomes frustrating how many zombies are around. There are times when you literally can't go down a city street without hearing the zombie "crunch" sound effect over every other sound effect.
Yeah, that's what I was worried about. But aren't the freaks (zombies) out only in the evening and night?

The other thing it sounds like is you have to actually go into the freaks' underground freak infested labyrinths for certain missions where you are overwhelmed by freaks.

I rather liked the over-the-top cop versus the gangs, but this seems more of a survivalist game which I don't care for.
MacBook Pro

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2010, 11:16 AM

I got bored with the first Crackdown about half-way though.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed myself getting to that point, and it was certainly worth the $13 (+$10 for the rocket launcher) I paid for it used, but yeah, I'm sort of done.

I also thought the "buy weapons for real cash" model was a bit broken. Not conceptually, but the balance was way off. The rocket launcher just broke the thing. That being said, one of the most entertaining moments of the first game was using said launcher to fire all it's auto-homing rockets at the same target on top of a building. The first explosion would hurl the guy off the building, and then the rest of the rockets would do juggle-combos on his flaming corpse all the way down.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2010, 11:33 AM

X-Play just panned it, at least relative to how effusive they were about the original, though they seemed to like the zombies as fun level grinding fodder.

They said multiplayer co-op is good, but you have more fun using it like a giant physics sandbox rather than running the missions.

Meh...

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2010, 10:43 AM

I watched a few videos from Machinima for Crackdown 2 and it wasn't bad. Like most have said, it's more of the same. I'll probably buy it. I'll have to try the demo, that I downloaded earlier this week.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2010, 10:28 AM

I bought it and it truly is quite similar to the first one. Over the top killing and mayhem.

They did make a few improvements to it - it's easier to find the orbs with the orb pinger. The storage of vehicles now can be done in multiple locations. A few more things to collect and more objectives to do in the game, but I can see the criticism that it is repetitive.

I get a kick out of those reviewers or gamers that say the explosions are over the top. Uhhh, that's the idea. If you don't like it, don't play it.

The graphics, I have to admit, do seem a bit old.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules