Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > WhatsApp on BlackBerry - issue with contacts syncing

WhatsApp on BlackBerry - issue with contacts syncing
jszrules
Senior User
May 28, 2011, 02:06 AM

Hi, I downloaded WhatsApp for BlackBerry at the beginning of the year. It worked fine for a month and then one day I noticed that:

- Only a handful of the Contacts from the phone's address book were actually showing up in the WhatsApp "All" menu
- Names that used to appear in "Favs" were gone (except for the ones that were still showing up in "All")
- Chats with people I know are in my address book appear as numbers and not their names, and are automatically deleted after several days

I have been unable to fix this problem for months, even after deleting and reinstalling the application today (version 2.6.4077). My BlackBerry is running v5.0.0.405 (platform 5.1.0.112).

Any thoughts? Thanks

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2011, 10:57 AM

You've taken the battery out for 20 minutes and tried again?

If not, back the phone up and do a re-install. Also check that there are no OS updates for your phone and tell us what model it is.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
May 30, 2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
You've taken the battery out for 20 minutes and tried again?
Nope, just your regular battery in-and-out to reboot. What would 20 minutes do?

If not, back the phone up and do a re-install. Also check that there are no OS updates for your phone and tell us what model it is.
It is a BlackBerry Bold 9700 for AT&T. It is a corporate phone so te OS updates have to be pushed to me. And now that you mention it, I believe this issue started the last time an OS update was pushed to my phone in January (via "Wireless Update" I think?)

Thoughts on how to get WhatsApp back on track? I've emailed their support team, but no response yet. Thanks.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2011, 01:53 PM

20 minutes is the magic number in Blackberry world.
Does it have a service book? Delete it and try again.

Should be under Setup, Options, Advanced Options, Service books.

Have you asked your corporate support team for help?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2011, 05:38 AM

20 minutes is the magic number in Blackberry world.
Interesting. Does this simply reboot or does it do a full wipe?

Does it have a service book? Delete it and try again. Should be under Setup, Options, Advanced Options, Service books.
Not that I can tell. Closest thing is "WAP" or "WAP2", but I doubt that's it.

Have you asked your corporate support team for help?
Not yet...WhatsApp isn't really a firm-supported application. I doubt they would know. Their solution to everything is to wipe clean. One of the WhatsApp support guys emailed me back and forth to try refreshing the Favs, but that didn't work.
( Last edited by jszrules; Jun 2, 2011 at 05:47 AM. )

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2011, 09:05 PM

So WhatsApp support got back to me and said: "Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this. There are no other users reporting similar problems. Perhaps try doing a factory reset."

Any ideas before I give up?

Forum Links
Forum Rules