Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Han shoots first again: Original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy on DVD Sept. 12

Han shoots first again: Original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy on DVD Sept. 12 (Page 3)
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 15, 2006, 02:49 PM

You cannot judge a sequence that was produced using older techniques after you've become acustomed to TODAY's techniques. The animation in ESB was breathtakingly good-when it came out and for years afterward. But today we're used to digitally manipulated models that look realer than real, and that makes our appreciation of what Tippett did look less good. It's not because he didn't do a fantastic job, but rather because we're to some extent jaded. This is sort of why Lucas can justify "updating" his work, but I seriously disagree with his witholding the original versions of the first three for so long. I grew up with those films-and helped make George wealthy in the process-so I'd like to have a decent copy of THOSE versions as much as George wants a cherry rod from his teens in Modesto.

The CGI in the "first trillogy" is extensive; they built very few full sets or large stage props. But the digital sets are not what people think of when they say "that looked fake." Instead, it's the moving elements, like the droids and vehicles. And many of them were indeed models, though multiple copies of the SAME model. The Clone Troopers were CGI in most cases. Very few shots included the (yes THE ) actor who played Jango Fett and thus all his clones.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 07:01 AM

Update:
Originally Posted by The Digital Bits
Oh... one other thing this morning. You know how we were complaining a few months back that the original versions of the Star Wars films (due on 9/12) were going to look less than stellar in 15-year old, non-anamorphic, laserdisc-transfer quality video on DVD? A few thousand fans finally got a look at them at the Lucasfilm presentation at Comic-Con on Friday afternoon. Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet had this to say to the assemblage: "The transfers from the bonus discs are absolutely incredible, because these are pristine master tapes, and I have NEVER seen - despite what you may have heard on Internet rumors - a better transfer of a movie."
So I'm now less disappointed, but still waiting to hear reviews of this transfer.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules