Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .dmg/.zip files Trashed after download

.dmg/.zip files Trashed after download
jszrules
Senior User
May 9, 2006, 11:52 AM

Hi, whenever I download freeware through Safari, the system automatically puts the .dmg or .zip files in the trash after the download is complete. I know that to prevent this from happening I should uncheck the "Open safe files..." box in Safari preferences. However, is there a way to still have these files open without having the .dmg/.zip files sent to the trash automatically? Thanks.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Aug 1, 2006, 12:42 AM

bump

mduser63
Aug 1, 2006, 01:10 AM

I think this is somehow a function of the dmg files themselves, as at least on my machine, only some files automatically get moved to the trash upon a successful download, usually accompanied by the just downloaded .app getting automatically copied to the desktop.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 03:18 AM

"Open safe files..." will toss ZIPs in the trash, but DMGs will be left where they were saved to unless they're of the self-extracting variety. This is a function of the DMG; you can turn off "Open safe files..." but even when you mount the image manually the same thing will happen.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 11:52 AM

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't remember this happening in Jaguar or maybe Panther, too. Only since Tiger and possible Panther have these dmg and zip files been trashed automatically. So that tell me this behavior is a function of the OS and not the individual files...assuming my memory serves me correctly. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 01:45 PM

With ZIP files, it's a function of the OS, but with DMGs, it's really a function of the DMG itself. The function hasn't been there from the beginning, however, so that explains why you haven't seen these DMGs a few years ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules