Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Russian Connection

The Russian Connection (Page 9)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2017, 06:01 PM

Tune in to Hannity for Don Jr interview.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The Clintons sold themselves to the Chinese in 1996.
As always, you avoid answering the question.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2017, 10:13 PM

The timeline off Trump Jr. excuses is kind of breathtaking:
Before this weekend: Never met with the Russians
Saturday: A brief meeting about adoption policy (which is actually sanctions)
Sunday: The meeting for information that could be helpful to the campaign
Today: She was a phony and had no info (but the email shows attempted collusion)

Innocent people don't lie this much.

Edit: This is also one of the meetings Kushner 'forgot' to mention on his security clearance form

Edit 2:

June 7 - 5:16 PM - Don Jr. confirms meeting w/ Russian lawyer
June 7 - 9:13 PM Trump promises press conf the next week with Clinton dirt.

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2017, 11:08 PM

If he had dirt, why wait? Oh yes, it's like the Comey tapes. Theater.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, so do you?

BTW even if there is proof, can you tell me what law was broken?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2017, 11:22 AM

This meeting occurred prior to the release of the Wikileaks DNC emails. Jr. was played by a lawyer that wanted to talk about adoptions restriction brought on by the Magnitsky act. No promises were made, no gifts exchanged.

From our friends at www.thepeoplescube.com

We need a "the Ukraine Connection" to chronicle the Clinton campaigns meeting with Ukraine officials to obatin dirt on then Trump Campaign manager Manafort. That sorta backfired when he brought in Conway, who became the first woman to run a successful POTUS campaign.

From January of this year.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ackfire-233446
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2017, 12:05 PM

Chelsea has her own legal problems at the moment. She is being sued for copyright infringement.
http://www.lifezette.com/popzette/ch...ngraham_buffer
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2017, 12:09 PM

subegolocks thinks the "Trump et. al. is innocent, beating a dead horse" bed is too large, while the cot (Collusion/Obstruction/Treason) is too small.

Wait and see? Juuuuuuust right.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2017, 04:54 PM

This meeting occurred prior to the release of the Wikileaks DNC emails. Jr. was played by a lawyer that wanted to talk about adoptions restriction brought on by the Magnitsky act. No promises were made, no gifts exchanged.

From our friends at www.thepeoplescube.com

We need a "the Ukraine Connection" to chronicle the Clinton campaigns meeting with Ukraine officials to obatin dirt on then Trump Campaign manager Manafort. That sorta backfired when he brought in Conway, who became the first woman to run a successful POTUS campaign.

From January of this year.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ackfire-233446
No ones stopping you from starting it!

Chelsea has her own legal problems at the moment. She is being sued for copyright infringement.
http://www.lifezette.com/popzette/ch...ngraham_buffer
It's a simple question chongo. Here's I'll simplify further: if nameless, generic Democratic presidential campaign officials were caught trying to get oppo from a foreign government we are at odds with, would you be ok with it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The thing is, what probably happened is money laundering, and they got intel from shady sources.

Those aren't great things, but it's not COLLUSION! TREASON! AUUUUUUUUUGH! AUGGH! AUGGH!
Originally Posted by subego View Post
subegolocks thinks the "Trump et. al. is innocent, beating a dead horse" bed is too large, while the cot (Collusion/Obstruction/Treason) is too small.

Wait and see? Juuuuuuust right.
Pretty ****ing amazing how far we've come in a week.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2017, 09:09 PM

No ones stopping you from starting it!

It's a simple question chongo. Here's I'll simplify further: if nameless, generic Democratic presidential campaign officials were caught trying to get oppo from a foreign government we are at odds with, would you be ok with it?
They already did and I'm not. If Jr was dumb enough to take the bait and do something that was illegal, then he should face the consequences. At this point all parties involved, including the lawyer, said nothing came of it. She lied to get the ear of Jr

At this point in time, none of the talking heads on TV can cite a law that was broken.

Now, are you OK with the fact that the Clinton campaign used information received from several meetings with Ukrainian officials that resulted in Manafort getting the boot from the Trump campaign? Are you OK with the fact that the Obama administration bankrolled an effort to unseat PM Netanyahu?
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2017, 06:05 AM

They already did and I'm not. If Jr was dumb enough to take the bait and do something that was illegal, then he should face the consequences. At this point all parties involved, including the lawyer, said nothing came of it. She lied to get the ear of Jr

At this point in time, none of the talking heads on TV can cite a law that was broken.

Now, are you OK with the fact that the Clinton campaign used information received from several meetings with Ukrainian officials that resulted in Manafort getting the boot from the Trump campaign? Are you OK with the fact that the Obama administration bankrolled an effort to unseat PM Netanyahu?

The fact you've gone into some consideration makes me think you mean it when you say you'd care about a Democrat doing the same but the partisan nature of US politics means we all know you'd care a whole lot more if the parties were reversed here.

I was half listening to a discussion that covered the thing with Ukraine and someone did explain away why it wasn't necessarily criminal. I forget exactly what it was he said. If unseating Netanyahu was criminal I guess it wouldn't be under US law so thats unlikely to be an issue for US voters except for the fact it was Obama so any excuse goes.
I don't think its a matter of no-one knowing which laws are in play but on whether the criteria has been met to say they've been broken. I can only assume the precise wording is vague. If the Russians just wanted to influence the election they don't need to feed info to the Trump campaign, they can just release it to the public like they did via Wikileaks. Trump doesn't need to go anywhere near it.
I think for a crime to have been committed someone in the campaign team or close enough to it has to ask for help. Junior has clearly come close, but is it close enough?
"I'd love it" is more an approval than a request.

The reason Trump chose the run as Republican isn't just because they are so easy to manipulate, its because once you've got them, you've got them. Its basically impossible to turn them against you and he has know this for a long time.
You're a great example of this Chongo. I've never encountered anyone else so devout as you whose life seems to revolve so heavily around their faith, but I'm pretty sure I've seen you side with Trump over the Pope. Thats truly mind blowing.
Normally I'd be really interested to see if Trump would throw Junior under the bus if he had to to save himself and how his base would react, but I think we all know he would in a heartbeat and his base won't care at all.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 07:33 PM

If Jr was dumb enough to take the bait and do something that was illegal, then he should face the consequences.
Ok.

Now, are you OK with the fact that the Clinton campaign used information received from several meetings with Ukrainian officials that resulted in Manafort getting the boot from the Trump campaign?
Yes. There's an important distinction here: As far as I know the information was procured on the level. The Ukrainians had this info because Manafort did them dirty. They didn't violate any laws to get it, as far as I know. A further distinction is Ukraine isn't a foe, either.

Are you OK with the fact that the Obama administration bankrolled an effort to unseat PM Netanyahu?
Explicitly no. But as far as I remember the connections to that effort were not clear.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 07:35 PM

That's a lot of additions.

Obvious question: Why is it when it comes to Russia these people lie so much?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 07:39 PM

Pence's spokesman had a lot of trouble answering Fox News when asked if Pence had met anyone from Russia.

He did clarify with a no in a press release much later today but boy was he dodging in that interview (and boy that Fox anchor was dogged in his pursuit)

It's an odd question to dodge seeing as Pence has gone on record several time saying NO ONE in the campaign had contacts with Russia.
"Just to button up one question, did any advisor or anybody in the Trump campaign have any contact with the Russians who were trying to meddle in the election?" Dickerson asked.

Pence replied "Of course not."

"And I think to suggest that is to give credence to some of these bizarre rumors that have swirled around the candidacy," he added.
According to Mike Pence, these confirmations of meetings give credence to previous rumors.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 08:01 PM

Two conspiracy theories:

Number 1: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-linked-lawyer
Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee asked the Justice Department to explain a decision to settle a money-laundering case in May that involved the Russian lawyer who held a controversial meeting last year with Donald Trump Jr.

Democrats are interested because one of the lawyers involved in the case was Natalia Veselnitskaya, who met with President Donald Trump’s son in an encounter arranged with the promise of damaging Russian government information on Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

Veselnitskaya worked with a Cyprus-based company, Prevezon Holdings Ltd., that is controlled by a Russian businessman and was accused of a tax theft and money laundering scheme.

The U.S. agreed on May 12 to take $5.9 million to settle the lawsuit tied to a $230 million Russian tax fraud, avoiding a trial that was set to begin the following week.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/12/...with-trump-jr/
The civil forfeiture case was filed in 2013 by Preet Bharara, the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York — who was fired by Trump in March. The case alleged that 11 companies were involved in a tax fraud in Russia and then laundered a portion of the $230 million they got into Manhattan real estate.

The forfeiture case was heralded at the time as “a significant step towards uncovering and unwinding a complex money laundering scheme arising from a notorious foreign fraud,” Bharara said. “As alleged, a Russian criminal enterprise sought to launder some of its billions in ill-gotten rubles through the purchase of pricey Manhattan real estate.”

But Instead of proceeding with the trial as scheduled, the Trump Justice Department settled the case two days before it was due to begin.
---

Number 2: This should be a great one for the 'covered up murders crowd'
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/gop-...clinton-emails
In the midst of the 2016 campaign, a veteran GOP opposition researcher who said he had ties to ousted national security adviser Michael Flynn contacted hackers hoping to obtain emails that he believed Russian operatives had hacked from Hillary Clinton’s personal server, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
Smith acknowledged that the emails, if they existed, would likely have been hacked by Russian operatives. He ultimately received some emails from hacker groups prior to the election, he told the Journal, but urged those groups to pass the emails along to WikiLeaks so he would not have to personally vouch for their authenticity. Those emails have never surfaced, according to the report.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...713-story.html
In a room at a Rochester hotel used almost exclusively by Mayo Clinic patients and relatives, Peter W. Smith, 81, left a carefully prepared file of documents, which includes a statement police called a suicide note in which he said he was in ill health and a life insurance policy was expiring.

Days earlier, the financier from suburban Lake Forest gave an interview to the Journal about his quest, and it published stories about his efforts beginning in late June.
Smith's death occurred at the Aspen Suites in Rochester, records show. They list the cause of death as "asphyxiation due to displacement of oxygen in confined space with helium."

Rochester Police Chief Roger Peterson on Wednesday called his manner of death "unusual," but a funeral home worker said he'd seen it before.
(I think it was a legit suicide, and don't think he was coerced. This thread strikes me as a dead end, pun unintended)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2017, 09:54 AM

There was another person in the Junior meeting. Whoops.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2017, 10:30 AM

The power of spin is absolutely amazing.

Not only are we seeing political operatives try to spin conclusions on an investigation that isn't even complete, they are getting the public to parrot their choice of words. I have never heard the word "nothing burger" in here until this story broke. Coincidence?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2017, 04:22 PM

Oh god. Someone pointed out that due to the wording on the SF-86 Ivan's and Jareds reported contact list should match.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2017, 08:24 PM

HANNITY: So as far as you know, as far as this incident is concerned, this is all of it?

TRUMP JR.: This is everything. This is everything.
It took three days for this be shown as a lie. How? How can anyone believe anything these people say?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2017, 09:03 AM

( Last edited by subego; Jul 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2017, 10:05 AM

It took three days for this be shown as a lie. How? How can anyone believe anything these people say?
WH comms is leaking they sure as shit don't believe them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2017, 01:39 PM

Fox News commentators not so sure that this is a nothing burger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LftyJmNtA
( Last edited by besson3c; Jul 15, 2017 at 01:59 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 16, 2017, 07:05 PM

It occurred to me, if Don Jr. is about transparency, why doesn't he identify the 8th person at the meeting?

The irony is, I don't think that person will be anyone we've heard of. Barring Kislyak, chances are we'll need the media to tell us why the person's presence is damning.

Regarding the other dude: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9f6a4145eb23
Akhmetshin was a controversial figure. In a letter this spring to U.S. government officials, Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) described Akhmetshin as a person who “apparently has ties to Russian intelligence.”
Oh, another great connection for the lawyer:
In fact, her seat had been reserved for her by a Republican consultant with close ties to the Trump campaign.

Lanny Wiles, whose wife, Susie, was then chairing the Trump campaign in Florida, said in an interview that he came early to scout out the seat and was there at the request of Akhmetshin, with whom he was working as a consultant on the sanctions-related adoption issue.

Lanny and Susie Wiles both said she was unaware of his role in the lobbying effort. Lanny Wiles said he was unaware that the Russian lawyer whose seat he was saving had just days earlier met with Trump Jr.

“I wasn’t part of it,” Susie Wiles said.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2017, 01:34 AM

Yeah, more Russia. Blah, blah, blah. Yawn.

https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...08610805735424

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2017, 09:14 AM

You're really comfortable with yawning about Russia right now?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 17, 2017, 11:21 PM

chongo, i know you've cited Napolitano for other legal arguments before, so I wonder what your take is on his current stance re: Don Jr. (i.e., persuaded/not persuaded)
http://www.mediaite.com/uncategorize...investigation/
Fox News’s Sandra Smith asked why a lawyer would have told Don Jr. not to meet with the Russians, the meeting was not criminal, “as Jay Sekulow has been saying.”

“It is a crime to receive something of value, when you are a campaign official from a foreign person or a foreign government,” Napolitano replied.

Smith then asked whether it would have been a crime had Don Jr. actually received information from the Russians.

“That would have been a felony, that would have been the completion of a crime,” Napolitano said.
“So the question is, is this enough to commence a criminal investigation?” Napolitano asked.

“Answer: yes. Because it is suspicious that they met with these people, they didn’t consult a lawyer, and one of these people is a former KGB/GRU.”

“And didn’t tell anybody about it,” Napolitano continued. “Why didn’t Jared Kushner tell the FBI about it when he filled out his national security application unless he was trying to hide something?”

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You're really comfortable with yawning about Russia right now?
No one should talk to you until you decide to get a grip.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No one should talk to you until you decide to get a grip.
I think it is you that needs to get a grip over this "I know better than the so-called experts" mentality.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2017, 02:29 PM

I think it is you that needs to get a grip over this "I know better than the so-called experts" mentality.
Dude- he has a genuine pretend PhD. He's is a so-called expert.

You bully.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2017, 04:06 PM

Last dude was identified. Muellers team called the attorneys for the Agalarivs to get the name which makes me wonder if he was on Kushs form.

Nothing much on the guy other than he's suspected of man net laundering and has been seen in the company of trump.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Dude- he has a genuine pretend PhD. He's is a so-called expert.

You bully.
^^ One of the other `NN bullies chimes in, how cute. Since you're a pretend human, your criticism of my "pretend PhD" is meaningless, boyo.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 05:12 PM

Keep avoiding that you can't have rational conversations without calling people "idiots" of late. Your toxic perspective is damaging you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 05:32 PM

man net laundering
To be fair, they do get kinda sweaty.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 05:40 PM

Keep avoiding that you can't have rational conversations without calling people "idiots" of late. Your toxic perspective is damaging you.
There are no rational conversations to be had with people that don't believe in climate change at this point, because the disbelief of it is entirely irrational.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2017, 06:18 PM

Since you're a pretend human
You mom goes to college.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 06:22 PM

chongo, i know you've cited Napolitano for other legal arguments before, so I wonder what your take is on his current stance re: Don Jr. (i.e., persuaded/not persuaded)
http://www.mediaite.com/uncategorize...investigation/
I've already said if something illegal was done Jr need to face the consequences.
Now will you apply the same standard to the DNC/Clinton campaign recieving "something of value" from Ukrainian officials through a paid DNC staffer? This resulted in Manafort getting dumped as campaign manager. What about the discredited dossier? What about the tête-à-tête on the tarmac?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2017, 06:59 PM

Heh, even the wsj thinks he needs to come clean.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tru...uth-1500332545 (paywall)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 07:11 PM

The WSJ has been "never Trump"
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2017, 07:18 PM

I've already said if something illegal was done Jr need to face the consequences.
That's pretty much as low as the bar can go. It would be pretty effed up if you didn't think so.

The relevant part was Napolitano's opinion of what the crime was, as I believe you asked for one to be cited. The second was his admitting it all looks suspicious and should be investigated, which contradicts the usual party line that it is all overblown.

Now will you apply the same standard to the DNC/Clinton campaign recieving "something of value" from Ukrainian officials through a paid DNC staffer? This resulted in Manafort getting dumped as campaign manager.
I already answered this above.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2017, 07:19 PM

The WSJ has been "never Trump"
Does that make them wrong?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 07:21 PM

I already answered this above
Refresh my memory.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2017, 07:22 PM

Refresh my memory.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...65#post4384065

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 07:23 PM

Does that make them wrong?
No, it makes them Never Trump.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2017, 07:25 PM

So, colluding with a foreign government is ok when it's with the DNC/Clinton Campaign?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2017, 07:26 PM

No, it makes them Never Trump.
This is circular logic. What does this information have to do with the editorial, if it doesn't make them wrong?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2017, 07:28 PM

So, colluding with a foreign government is ok when it's with the DNC/Clinton Campaign?
I made the distinctions pretty clear. If you'd like to illustrate collusion, be my guest.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2017, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
You mom goes to college.
Well, now you've started having convulsions too.

There are no rational conversations to be had with people that don't believe in climate change at this point, because the disbelief of it is entirely irrational.
Since I didn't say that, and it certainly isn't true, I'll just chalk that up to your continued breakdown. I'll repeat what I said earlier, you aren't worth conversing with if you can't maintain at least basic civility. Maybe you haven't been housebroken, but that doesn't mean everyone else should put up with the names and direct insults.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 19, 2017, 11:09 AM

...you can't maintain at least basic civility. Maybe you haven't been housebroken...
Without even a sentence in between.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 11:28 AM

Since I didn't say that, and it certainly isn't true
It most certainly is. You don't get to throw the baby out with the bathwater because you found some predictions for a specific timeline that didn't work out (assuming these are not fraudulent).

That seems to be your mantra. Don't like CNN going on about Russia? Must mean that the whole Russia thing is bogus. Don't like some climate predictions? Blows the entire principles of climate change out the window, evidently, because you know better.

Again, it comes back to this weird distrust of people who know what they are talking about, and this insecurity of yours which is manufactured confidence that you know better. It is okay to not be the expert at everything, you know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules