Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > MBP Gaming poor under bootcamp

MBP Gaming poor under bootcamp
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 10:43 PM

So I went ahead and installed xp on my 2.0 ghz MBP with 256 mb of vram. I did this to play some old PC games I bought 4 years ago. I thought these old games would perform at peak on new hardware but no. For some reason, the display settings only allow the lowest resolution--which looks like crap. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but would this be a driver issue? thanks--

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 11:20 PM

Could be a driver issue. I have a few PC games that I have installed on newer hardware that just would not work. The video card is the problem on every one of them. The one game that comes to mind is Silent Hunter II which came out in 2001. Plays fine on a system with Intel shared graphics but won't work at all with a 128MB Radeon (can't remember the model).

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 11:31 PM

Hmmm, I guess that may be it. I played both of these games previously on a pc with shared graphics and they had better resolution. I wonder then if they would play better on a Macbook since it also has shared graphics. Thanks for your response by the way!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Hmmm, I guess that may be it. I played both of these games previously on a pc with shared graphics and they had better resolution. I wonder then if they would play better on a Macbook since it also has shared graphics. Thanks for your response by the way!
The games do start up right? You could always try to change the resolution of your screen manually before starting the game. Never know, it might work.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 11:58 PM

They do start up and play. though because of the lower resolution I'm missing some detail I'm used to. I have tried to adjust the display settings in each game to a higher resolution but the slider is frozen at the lowest setting. kinda weird.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 11:14 AM

Yeah, it must be something to do with the older games. My MBP plays Max Payne 2 and Oblivion beautifully.

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2006, 11:41 AM

Supposedly, the video driver Apple supplies with Boot Camp is not the best. I've seen mention of third-party drivers that give visibly better performance when installed on the MBP. I believe they were the ATI Omega drivers--I suggest searching the forums to verify.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 12:03 PM

Dunno old games, but the just released Prey demo runs beautifully n my MBP 2.0Ghz with the 256MB card.

iRussel
Jul 7, 2006, 09:41 AM

I've been playing Half Life 2 and it runs perfect. Awesome game. I really hope game developers will start making games for the newer macs. If yahoo can do it so can they.

LONG LIVE MAC GAMING
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2006, 08:25 AM

Titan quest on solo is decent, though it gets a bit laggy w/ lotta mobs. But on lan 2-3 players, it gets quite lagtistic. But it's also partially game design flaws contributing to the lag.

Playing Prey now and it's quite good on medium graphics i'm surprised how well this video card runs (and it's under-clocked by Apple too). Bet it's quite a beast on full potential.

Forum Links
Forum Rules