Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How to extract audio from a MiniDV tape?

How to extract audio from a MiniDV tape?
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 12:51 PM

Hello guys,

Yesterday I was helping my uncle that just bought a TiBook 800 (envy) and we where talking about his recordings on MiniDV, then he asked me how to capture the AUDIO from a MiniDV tape.
The first way that came into my mind was taking the Analog Audio OUT of the camera then going into the Analog Audio IN on the TiBook, but now I have a unecessary D/A/D conversion.
when I import a clip with iMovie, it makes only one file with both audio & video on it so it doesn't work either.
Then I thought what if I import the clips and then extract the audio w/ some kind of application that does it? Ok, now I'll have a huge process just to extract the audio from a DV tape not mentioning the huuuuge files I'll have sitting on my HD.
Ok, now my question is: Is there any application to extract audio via FireWire from a MiniDV camera?
Any help will be VERY welcome!!!
Think Diferente!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 02:39 PM

Your best bet would be to get QuickTime Pro. Use iMovie to import the movie from your camera (as you've already done), then use QT Pro to import the .dv file in the project media folder, then export the audio.

dannyn
Oct 4, 2002, 06:08 PM

Another option is to use BTV (www.btv.org.uk). You'll be able to capture only the audio from your DV input. You'll get an audio-only quicktime movie, but that saves you the hassle of capturing a large video file.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Your best bet would be to get QuickTime Pro. Use iMovie to import the movie from your camera (as you've already done), then use QT Pro to import the .dv file in the project media folder, then export the audio.
Well, you could also, um, use iMovie to extract the audio from the video if you already have it in there. Click Advanced>Extract Audio. Then delete the video clips and export it however you want from iMovie.

Final Cut Pro can import only audio. In the Log & Capture window, click the Clip Settings tab, then choose "Audio Only" from the drop-down menu.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by MountainMac:

Then delete the video clips and export it however you want from iMovie.

MM
You can only export it to Camera, QuickTime or iDVD. And this is only as a video file. In order to get an audio only file, you need to go through another step.

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2002, 09:52 AM

I have Final Cut Pro 2.0, but I never really dig into it... I always use Media Composer at work so I kinda... don't like FCP interfaces...
But I'll try to import the audio only thru FCP...
Only one question, what kind of file it generates?
Think Diferente!

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2002, 03:24 PM

I believe FCP works natively with .aif files, but you can then export it in a variety of formats.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules