Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Graphics card upgrade

Graphics card upgrade
Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2003, 04:39 AM

I have a dual 450 with AGP and the ATI with 16 Meg. In order to speed up the machine I'm thinking on upgrading the Graphics Card, in order to have Quartz Extreme. I thus have two questions :[list=1][*]What card should I buy ?[*]Where Can I buy these in France ?[*]Where can I find those cheap on the web ?[/list=1]

Thanks

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2003, 08:29 AM

Personally, I took an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac Edition, some months ago: it's fanless, and works quite well (even if the performance increase is not so dramatic). You should find it, in France, at FNAC - at least, in their Milan store they have quite a lot of Mac products, so in Paris it should be even better! - or at other big computer resellers; or simply consult this ATI page...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Ludovic Hirlimann  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
(even if the performance increase is not so dramatic).
Are you saying it's not worth the money ?
But youo do feel some better perfs do you ?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Ludovic Hirlimann:
Are you saying it's not worth the money ?
But youo do feel some better perfs do you ?
Of course, the overall performance is better (in Virtual PC, for example), and you also have Quartz Extreme, which will be even more valuable with Expos� in Panther: but, in "normal" use (I'm not a gamer, for example), it's not that you notice it so much (or maybe you just get accustomed to the new card and then don't remember how the old one was before). Anyway, the 9700 should be even better, of course.

If you want some more info, you could visit Accelerate Your Mac: they have many practical user reports, etc...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules