Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I just bought an 12" iBook :)

I just bought an 12" iBook :)
jerry1
Jan 27, 2004, 06:44 PM

Stock 12" iBook with Airport Extreme and plan to max out the RAM once I get it. I was told that it would ship from California instead from Taiwan, so will I recieve it earlier ? I'm in Toronto. Now the dreaded wait begins, so apparently my testing time has begun.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 06:55 PM

Man oh man I'm in the exact same position.. except I haven't bought it yet. I'm in Barrie, ON though.

Let me know how long it took to ship to you. And also what was your total?

jerry1  (op)
Jan 27, 2004, 07:00 PM

Yay ! Fellow Canadian.

Total came out to $1513 + tax as I bought the Video Adapter as well. Oh ! I got it at Edu prices.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 09:33 PM

Ooooh, an all-Canadian thread.

I ordered a G4 iBook last Thursday with a 5-7 business day wait time.. and it shipped yesterday morning!

It actually is coming from Taiwan, the first time I have ever had an order do that. And trust me, I've ordered my fair share of Macs.

Should be here Thursday!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 10:48 PM

You folks are gonna love 'em!

Get and extra 512 o' ram as soon as possible, as it will make you and your iBook very happy!

Congrats!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

jerry1  (op)
Jan 27, 2004, 11:33 PM

So the iBooks are selling like crazy. With all the snow around now all I can think is iBook. To make that worse there's snow all this week. Damn !

Rev-O, I'll be maxing out the RAM once I get the iBook. I've been reading up all the advice you veterans have suggested on these forums.

murbot, which iBook did you order, the 12" or the 14" ?

EDIT: On a sidenote I was being re-directed to AppleInsider when I hit www.macnn.com weird ?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 11:51 PM

I have a custom 12" coming in from Taiwan this Thursday; it's in Indiana right now. I've got the extra 512MB sitting in front of me as I type.

My backup computer is a lowly beige G3 running 10.2.8... I can't wait to return to the world of Panther!

jerry1  (op)
Jan 27, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I've got the extra 512MB sitting in front of me as I type.
Talk about being prepared ! Wow, your iBook sounds more powerful than mine. *envy already*

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 12:01 AM

I got the 12".

60GB, AirPort Extreme, internal Bluetooth. I have a 512MB chip here too, it just came in this morning.

Reloading that FedEx page every 5 minutes.

jerry1  (op)
Jan 28, 2004, 12:10 AM

So thats a *high-end* iBook for murbot. Congrats to you too.

I'll have to look up some SODIMMs available here. I have some time before the refreshing FedEx page syndrome hits me.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by jerry1:
Talk about being prepared ! Wow, your iBook sounds more powerful than mine. *envy already*
Well, Crucial had free 2nd day shipping, and my iBook is custom so it took a while to get moving.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 28, 2004, 12:31 AM

My 12" baby is just a couple of weeks old. It's the best investment I made in years. running like a top. I will get more ram and an airport card soon. hopefully very soon.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

jerry1  (op)
Jan 28, 2004, 12:38 AM

Great to see every iBook owner very satisfied & happy.

I had one reservation before I made the purchase. Some iBooks had some kind of trackpad issue which got resolved after a visit to the Apple store. There was one iBook owner who said that Apple knew about this issue and all iBooks need to fixed. This was at the Apple Discussion Boards.

Hope all our iBooks are perfect.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by jerry1:
Great to see every iBook owner very satisfied & happy.

I had one reservation before I made the purchase. Some iBooks had some kind of trackpad issue which got resolved after a visit to the Apple store. There was one iBook owner who said that Apple knew about this issue and all iBooks need to fixed. This was at the Apple Discussion Boards.

Hope all our iBooks are perfect.
I have a 12" iBook G4 (in Canada) and my trackpad doesn't have a problem.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Get and extra 512 o' ram as soon as possible, as it will make you and your iBook very happy!
Better yet, get a gigabyte of RAM from these folks. Yes, it is possible despite Apple's specs saying 640MB is the maximum.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
You folks are gonna love 'em!

Congrats!
nah, i say go for like 6 months with it bone stock, and right when the new ones come out, go out and buy the new ram, itll be like having a new computer and the searing pain of not having the BEST ibook will be lessened because youre still in love with yours, (maybe even more than before) plus you save money in the mean time.

thats what i did with my 700 mhz. i got ram and panther on the same weekend. it was like getting a new comp. i recommend trying it.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
nah, i say go for like 6 months with it bone stock, and right when the new ones come out, go out and buy the new ram, itll be like having a new computer and the searing pain of not having the BEST ibook will be lessened because youre still in love with yours, (maybe even more than before) plus you save money in the mean time.
An interesting, if purely psychological, approach. I suppose a significant percentage of the computing experience (whether positive or negative) is psychological, after all.

jerry1  (op)
Jan 28, 2004, 10:53 AM

The Video Adapter has been shipped out. Where do I track the package ? The tracking no. starts with STX......

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 02:02 PM

I'm in Canada (Ontario) and I'm saving up to buy an iBook. I haven't had a new Mac in 5.5 years, so I'm anxiously saving my pennies.

I want to buy mine stock and then upgrade the ram myself...this may be a silly question, but does it void your warranty if you install the ram yourself? How 'bout an airport card? Just want to know my options because I know it's cheaper to buy ram outside of Apple.

By the way, congrats on your new iBook! I'm sure you'll love it!

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

jerry1  (op)
Jan 28, 2004, 02:23 PM

Glad to see Canadian presence on MacNN.

AleroLeanne, if you upgrade the RAM yourself, it wont void the warranty. I think it applies the same to the Airport Card upgrade as well, not sure though. I think the Airport Extreme upgrade should be easier than upgrading your memory. Hoping you save up soon and get what you wish.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 04:32 PM

$379 for a 1GB stick? Is that in US funds?? Any chance of that going down? I think I paid $250 Canadian TOTAL for my two 512mb sticks.

I'll be driving all the way down to the Buffalo Apple Store to check out the iBooks. Anyone have pictures of the store?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 05:03 PM

Installing AirPort Cards and RAM into these laptops is perfectly fine. If you slip and hammer a circuit board with a screwdriver, you are SOL of course. It's actually very easy to do, and probably outlined well in the manual.

jerry1, did you choose regular ground shipping? I just received something purchased from Apple online and didn't pay extra for quicker shipping. My stuff went through a company called Same Day Right Away. My tracking number was SVA, followed by 7 numbers.

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of their "slow" shipments go through these guys. Apple doesn't tell you how to track it of course, I found out from someone on a Canadian Mac board. Try going there and sticking your tracking number in.

Mine has gone from Taiwan to Alaska to Winnipeg to Calgary... and should be right on schedule to hit my doorstep tomorrow morning!

jerry1  (op)
Jan 28, 2004, 08:00 PM

murbot, thanks for the info on "Same Day Right Away". Though it lists as "BESTWAY" on the Order Status page of Apple. And I did select the Normal Ground Shipping.

jerry1  (op)
Jan 29, 2004, 02:43 PM

Yay ! The iBook has been shipped from Taiwan ! I guess the Apple rep meant that the Video Adapter would be shipped from California...

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 04:56 PM

Thanks for your help guys...and good luck with the new iBooks!

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 07:01 PM

Forgot to post his last night...

My freakin' iBook showed up yesterday! It shipped from Taiwan on Monday and was in my hands in Alberta on Wednesday. Unreal.

I ordered it on a Thursday afternoon, and have it in my hands on the following Wednesday. For a product that was initially supposed to take 5-7 business days to even SHIP, that's not too shabby!

I'll post some pics tonight. I've used it a few hours today, and it's amazing. Thumbs up so far.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
Forgot to post his last night...

My freakin' iBook showed up yesterday! It shipped from Taiwan on Monday and was in my hands in Alberta on Wednesday. Unreal.

I ordered it on a Thursday afternoon, and have it in my hands on the following Wednesday. For a product that was initially supposed to take 5-7 business days to even SHIP, that's not too shabby!

I'll post some pics tonight. I've used it a few hours today, and it's amazing. Thumbs up so far.
Please do

jerry1  (op)
Jan 29, 2004, 09:22 PM

You got me real excited murbot since my iBook has left Taiwan already. Can they make it by tomorrow ? Oh god please, please !

murbot, congrats on your iBook. Hope you enjoy it as much I plan to do. Some pics would help definitely in the meantime.

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 12:15 AM

yeah I am looking at the 14" 933 with 60Gig 640Meg BT and APX, just can't justify going to the 1Gig G4 for the delta in price...now if somebody would just buy my G3 700 that is over in the market place

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 12:43 AM

OK, you'll have to excuse the lame photos, but my digital camera pretty much sucks.

Here's one showing everything, my Dual 533 is in the lower left corner:

I tried taking some cooler shots of it, but they just didn't turn out. New camera is next on the list.

It's just too cool using the Apple BT Mouse with this baby - it's a perfect match for it, and it's nice not having any wireless adapter sticking out of a USB port. Pretty slick!

jerry1  (op)
Jan 30, 2004, 01:09 AM

Mighty Sweet ! Bow to the iBook.

Thanks murbot.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
$379 for a 1GB stick? Is that in US funds?? Any chance of that going down? I think I paid $250 Canadian TOTAL for my two 512mb sticks.
Has a wee bit to do with why my G4 iBook has 640 megs, not 1152...

jerry1  (op)
Jan 30, 2004, 09:56 AM

My iBook has reached Winnipeg !

Jan 30,2004 7:23am Left FedEx Ramp WINNIPEG CA
7:23am Arrived at FedEx Ramp WINNIPEG CA
2:36am Arrived at Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN
2:26am Left FedEx Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN
12:51am Arrived at Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN

What do you think murbot, can they make it by today or will I have to wait this weekend.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 10:05 AM

OK, you'll have to excuse the lame photos, but my digital camera pretty much sucks.
Not at all. I enjoyed the pictures. Congrats. Is that your daughter in the lower left of the third picture (I can see her barrette)? How cute. I have a five-year-old son who always seems to be underfoot when I'm computing. I don't mind, though.

I'm beginning to think that the iBook is the better choice for me than the PowerBook 12".

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 11:05 AM

I don't know man, mine hit Winnipeg and then it showed up the next day. It had to go all the way to Alberta though... maybe you'll get lucky if you're closer to Manitoba than me.

Yes, that's my daughter. She might just end up using it more than me, she's in love with it.

She's a www.pbskids.org freak. Turns 3 on Monday, and she is knows her way around the computer better than her grandparents and probably my wife! She logs into her account (no password, she clicks on her picture for her account), fires up Safari, plays Caillou games, paints dragons, looks at iPhoto pics. She teaches her grandma how to do things. I swear she'll be smarter than her parents in a few years.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 04:07 PM

Yes, that's my daughter. She might just end up using it more than me, she's in love with it. Turns 3 on Monday, and she is knows her way around the computer better than her grandparents and probably my wife! She logs into her account (no password, she clicks on her picture for her account), fires up Safari, plays Caillou games, paints dragons, looks at iPhoto pics. She teaches her grandma how to do things. I swear she'll be smarter than her parents in a few years.

My daughter turns 3 this spring. Has the same love affair with my Macs. On my iMac (the kitchen computer), I made an icon out of a digital photo of her and put it in the dock as a folder for all of her stuff. That way, she knows to click on herself!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 04:46 PM

Yes, that's my daughter. She might just end up using it more than me, she's in love with it.
Aawwww, she's so incredibly adorable!
Truly you are a lucky parent.
My son's five.

( Last edited by selowitch; Jan 30, 2004 at 09:11 PM. )

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 11:14 PM

you might want to try the spanning hack on the ibook and then you will have two monitors to work on.

read the forums though about the spanning hack... but all I have heard and read, it's safe.

happy computing, and cute kid.

jerry1  (op)
Feb 2, 2004, 11:39 PM

Recieved my iBook today morning. Got back home just now and playing with it right now. Right now its in Sleep mode and the white light is glowing back and forth - meaning what ? Thanks

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 02:34 PM

It's snoring.

Seriously.

Suspect all of Apple's stuff does it. My Cinema display, iMac, and iBook all do. Guess its Apples cute way of reminding you the unit is powered-up in an energy saving mode.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by jerry1
Recieved my iBook today morning. Got back home just now and playing with it right now. Right now its in Sleep mode and the white light is glowing back and forth - meaning what ? Thanks.
Meaning--it is in sleep mode!

jerry1  (op)
Feb 12, 2004, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the clarification Rev-O & WizOSX.

I havent recieved iLife '04 with my iBook. I called Apple but the rep turned me down saying it isnt a part of the deal ? What is that supposed to mean when they clearly list Garageband on the iBook's page as the software that comes with the iBook. Can anybody suggest me what should I do ?

Also are there any alternatives to MacSkinz as they are down for some time now.

Thanks

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 12:39 AM

Well, just try and hold out a bit longer. MacSkinz should be back up soon, and they're s'posedly gonna to have some spiffy new designs. Have seen MacSkinz in person, and they look great. Am planning on purchasing as soon as they're back up. Other than MacSkinz, dunno.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 10:15 AM

Another Canadian in your midst. Got the 14" 933Mhz iBook last November. Just put 512MB in it recently and am really enjoying the new HD thrash free experience.

This is one sweet machine that gets many hours of use each day. I'm in Sudbury ON and this white beauty has made it to Iowa and back and was a perfect travel companion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules