Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Palm Connect USB Kit a big rip-off?

Palm Connect USB Kit a big rip-off?
wcaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2000, 09:09 AM

I just received the Palm Connect USB Kit as a gift and I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. For anyone that doesn't know, the "kit" contains a USB serial port adapter and the same software that ships with most, if not all, of today's Macs. And, it's $80 Canadian!

So, all a Mac really needs is the USB-serial adapter. I haven't been able to find just the adapter, but as an option I could buy the Belkin USB hub for the same price, at least benefitting by the ability to add multiple peripherals.

Does anyone know if someone sells just the adapter? Or, am I wrong -- is there something crucial inside that Palm Kit box that I'd be screwed without?

camera punk
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2000, 12:33 PM

Keyspan makes a USB to PDA (DB9) Adapter. They're US $34.95 from outpost.com. check out it's page: http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/PDAadapter/

It's actually more compatible with Palm organizers than the Palm adapter.

The only caveat is that you have to install a couple of extensions and a control panel. I don't know if you have to do that with the palm kit, but it's annoying to me since I run a lean and mean system.

The PalmConnect kit is US $39.95 from Outpost.com. That Canadian price seems to be a little high.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2000, 10:33 AM

More compatible than the Palm adapter? No it isn't. I didn't have to install any additional software to get my Palm IIIxe and PalmConnect USB Kit to work with Palm Desktop.

camera punk
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2000, 02:11 PM

For what it's worth, Keyspan says on it's website that it's more compatible.

I think they mean it's compatible with the original Pilot and Palm Pilot, whereas the Palmconnect (officially) is not.

tioga
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2000, 01:04 PM

The PalmConnect kit worked great for me and my IIIx right out of the box. I think it's a good value at $40, US.

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2000, 06:01 PM

When you install Palm Desktop it drops 2 extensions in the extension folder for the Palm Connect USB kit. That why you don't think you need to install extra software. But the extensions are there. Just load up extension manager and view by package and you'll see a package called Palm Connect USB

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

JoshFofer
Jul 16, 2000, 01:06 PM

The PalmConnect USB kit worked for me most of the time, but occasionally wouldn't hotsync (on a G4/450 running 8.6.) I switched to the KeySpan USB and it's worked flawlessly, regardless of when I hotsync. Have since upgraded to 9.0.4 and it continues to pull through.

So yes, I'd say it's "more compatible" -- at least in my experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules