Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 10)
crunked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
is it one of the attachables?? i saw those too, and i think it's almsot the perfect size for 12" PBs. and it looks, and i think works, a LOT like the Powersleeve12 from Booq. but for the price, it's great value.
yea, it's one of the attachables! It's very good quality and an excellent value!

it's also a good size for the 12" iBooks and Powerbooks!

here are some pics:

buffman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 04:56 PM

Didn't go thru all the post.

I use a RoadWIred MegaMedia Bag (www.roadwired.com)

Used as a standard work bag x 3 yrs, until I picked up the 17" last year. My PB slides right into the rear compartment, with enough cushion all around, plus many zippered compartments for accessories, and the occasional paperwork. Fits under airline seat loaded, though admittedly with a little push.

Also sells sleeves, though nothing for a 17" PB yet. Mike ( the owner) says he's working on acquiring one soon.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 06:01 PM

Just wanted to report in that the zeroshock sleeve works as you fall up stairs in flipflop/slippers and slam the powerbook (12") on to a hardwood floor.

no damage.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2004, 06:26 PM

Sweet. Just ordered two 15" Zeroshock sleeves and 2 titatnium "PowerBook" ScreensavRz from RadTech.

Probably get here before my laptop. Estimated time for shipping is 2 weeks, I think cuz of the promotional code I had to use to buy it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 12:31 AM

Okay well I just got my stuff from RadTech! Came before my PB was even shipped (which it was today). I'll post some pictures when I get all the stuff, as any loving PB owner would. I purchased the Glove sleeve, a sexy grey "Powerbook" screensavRZ, and a set of Wildeepz. I'm not sure if I'm going to need the Wildeepz yet; however, since I just dropped 2k on a PB I won't be too mad if I don't need them! My PB arrives on the 21st, so I can't wait!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

quadraphonic
Jul 18, 2004, 10:51 AM

Just a caveat for the Screensavrz.. its been mentioned in another thread that due to the thickness of the cloth, you still get light keyboard impressions on the LCD, though they are easily wiped away. I've been using the thin sheet that came with my PB with no problems.
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by quadraphonic:
Just a caveat for the Screensavrz.. its been mentioned in another thread that due to the thickness of the cloth, you still get light keyboard impressions on the LCD, though they are easily wiped away. I've been using the thin sheet that came with my PB with no problems.
Is this still true with the newer version of the PowerBooks? I read somewhere that these new revisions have about a 1/16" (1 mm) gap when the screen is closed. Seems to me that Apple did that intentionally to reduce the keyboard impact on the screen.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by flukewurm:
http://www.jambags.com/MacCase%20Sleeves.htm - very close again.. but zipperless design. they say this is an advantage cuz zippers will cause scratches. is this always true with something like an aluminum powerbook?
Those things look like hemorrhoid pillows.
Apple user since 1987

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 07:52 PM

You know...I REALLY wish I could get a 16"-17" North Face Computer Sleeve. I bought this one for my iBook back in 2001 and it's the best case I've ever seen. It's perfect to go in a backpack, but is also great on its own (since it has the snap strap to keep it closed and the nice handle to carry it horizontally). Here, take a look...

Now if only The North Face still made them.

<edited to add>: I forgot to mention that the flap has Velcro on it and the strap can be cinched down nice and tight, so the computer ain't going anywhere once it's in the case.
( Last edited by STAT; Jul 18, 2004 at 09:33 PM. )
Apple user since 1987

daiSho
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 11:23 PM

can anyone recommend a nice leather satchel or backpack for a 17" Powerbook? i really like the format of the "booq" offerings, but was hoping for something vaguely fitted and in nice leather that would accomodate my PB in a fitted sleeve... can anyone suggest something like this perhaps..?

quadraphonic
Jul 19, 2004, 12:42 AM

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but I think you should consider a ballistic nylon backpack or satchel. It'll hold up a litle better to the rubs and scrapes of the world. That said, I believe Targus carries some pretty decent messenger bags in leather. I'm not sure about their back packs. InCase also has a pretty nice leather sleeve and case.
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2004, 01:47 AM

I'm looking at TUMI's ballistic nylong offerings. This bag here, their Vesey Computer Messenger Bag, looks like a good option for 17" PowerBook users. As always with TUMI, it's an extremely high-quality product. Anyway, I'm considering getting one.

Apple user since 1987

Calamity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2004, 02:31 PM

I picked up that Gap sleeve for my 12" PB and I find it's a little too big, especially at the top. I'm not sure whether to keep it or return it; I just wanted a simple sleeve to put in a backpack, but I don't want the PB flopping around inside it. Hrm.

It's definitely good value for the price... if only it was a teeny bit smaller. Maybe it fits the iBooks better.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 11:51 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm about to order a Brain Bag and Brain Cell for my 15".

Any reason I shouldn't? It's hella-expensive, but I can't find anything else that satisfies me as much... I want a thin, sleek, sleeve with a *HARD* enclosure, and an accompanying backpack with *plenty* of storage space that doesn't scream "computer" and that is comfortable to wear.

I think I'm pretty much sold on the cases... how about color? It's either Black, Steel or Crimson... opinions?

(My #2 choice is a Booq BP3 with a Powersleeve14, but it doesn't seem to have quite as much (A) storage, (B) quality, and (C) the sleeve is huge.... although it looks more comfortable.)
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

daiSho
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 12:40 AM

can anyone tell me if my 17" Powerbook will fit into a Booq case if its alreadi in a Marware sleeve? i cannot tell from the dimensions whether it would fit or not..?

also, has anyone broken down and bought one of the new Powerbook cases from Spymac? i've seen others mention them in this thread but noone has offered any opinion on them... they look pretty nice to me from the limited pictures, different then many of the other offerings out there. anyone..?
( Last edited by daiSho; Jul 22, 2004 at 05:22 PM. )

crunked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Calamity:
I picked up that Gap sleeve for my 12" PB and I find it's a little too big, especially at the top. I'm not sure whether to keep it or return it; I just wanted a simple sleeve to put in a backpack, but I don't want the PB flopping around inside it. Hrm.

It's definitely good value for the price... if only it was a teeny bit smaller. Maybe it fits the iBooks better.
yea, it's probably a tad too big for the 12" Powerbook cause the 12" iBook is a bit bigger!

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 09:40 AM

After reading much of this thread, I think I've settled on a few possible sleeves for my 12" PB. Whatever I choose will go in my messenger bag and the PowerBook will be placed with no more than one textbook. The sleeve does not have to be a hard shell, as I would only be commuting to and from school, but some protection would be nice.

For my specific needs, I'd prefer something small with a minimalist look. I would like whatever I choose to hug my 12" PowerBook and hold it like a glove.

1) Mareware's "Sharkskin" 12" sleeve seems like it would meet my criteria. It also seems to represent the best value of the sleeve's I've looked at. The only thing I'm unsure of is how durable it is? Is the padding sufficient enough to protect the PowerBook if dropped or lightly banged in my bag?

http://www.marware.com/SFSleeves.html

2) Timbuk2's small "Laptop Zip Sleeve" says it fits 12" PB's and sub-notebook PCs. I'm guessing this means I can expect some loose space? I like this bag and it would be at the top of my list, if I only knew how well it fit the 12" PB?

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/c...?categoryId=21

3) Crumpler's 12" "School Hymn" seems to be the most durable of the three and also has the minimalist look I was looking for in a protective sleeve. However, I read a report on here that someone had to resort to using styrofoam to fill up all the extra space. Is the 12" size of this specific Crumpler case going to fit my PowerBook like a glove? Anyone who has a 12" variation of this case, I'd appreciate any comments you might have.

http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/...hool_hymn.html

Out of these three selections, I hope someone can help me. I'm completely lost as to which one to go with...

Thanks,
Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 10:48 AM

if you read a few pages back, the 12" Crumpler sucks. it leaves about 1" on the bottom and the side for your PB to move around. so it's practically pointless in the snug-ness department. cross that off your list.

the Timbuk2 Sleeve might be nice. it's very well made according to some people here and are colorful. but if you want minimalist, get the Marware. it's practically a glove. how can you get more minimalist than that?
Ryan

Cohenista
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 02:14 PM

I just ordered the 15" sleeve and screen protector from Radtech. Does anyone have pictures of the former in action? Can't see any on this thread so far.

rastatero
Jul 25, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
After reading much of this thread, I think I've settled on a few possible sleeves for my 12" PB. Whatever I choose will go in my messenger bag and the PowerBook will be placed with no more than one textbook. The sleeve does not have to be a hard shell, as I would only be commuting to and from school, but some protection would be nice.
I seem to be in the same boat as you. I finally narrowed it down to marware and zeroshock and in the end I finally ordered the 12" zeroshock sleve for 12" iBook. I chose the zeroshock after swayed by a user review a few pages back. The zeroshock is also convenient because the two zippers support both vertical and horizontal arrangements. The material of the zeroshock also appears to be more punishing. I will let you know how it goes. -- Tony

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 09:54 PM

I just picked up an Orange Crumpler Wee Bee....I have been searching for the perfect bag for a 12" laptop and I think I have finally found it!
Its ,waterproof,tough,TINY,stylish and it holds allot of stuff for being so small...I was kinda worried at first paying $80,but it is definately worth it,every bag under $40 I have bought in the past felt flimsy and I didnt feel my PowerBook's/iBook's were protected. I highly recommend Crumpler....They really are great high quality bags!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 08:39 AM

This may or may not be the right thread to post this but, anyone interested in purchasing a unused (new) (mint conditioned) 12inch Shinza Zeroshock sleeve in black?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Cohenista
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 09:26 AM

My Radtech sleeve and screen-protector arrived today. The material seems to be magical; managed to remove a nasty scuff mark which I thought I was stuck with forever. A few notes for those considering buying the sleeve, though:

- this is more a scratch-barrier than a protective case. You'll want something else to carry the sleeved PB in, unless you're strolling around in a safe environment;
- it's not waterproof (see above);
- it feels (and smells!) great;
- 15" PB is snug as a bug;
- there's no way to cover the end of the PB exposed at the sleeve's opening, which may be annoying for some.

It does what I wanted it to, but others may be looking for something a bit more substantial. Were I to chuck my PB down the stairs, I suspect this sleeve would do little more than ensure that the resulting wreckage stayed all in one place.

NittanyToto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 06:01 PM

I placed an order for a 12' sharkskin from mareware today. I was informed shortly after that they were out of stock until mid august. I replied that I would like to cancel my order at that point since I need it sooner than that. Within a couple hours of my cancellation email there was a reply telling me that they would take several sharkskins out of a larger order that they got in and ship one to me today! It was some of the best customer service I have ever experienced!

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by NittanyToto:
I placed an order for a 12' sharkskin from mareware today. I was informed shortly after that they were out of stock until mid august. I replied that I would like to cancel my order at that point since I need it sooner than that. Within a couple hours of my cancellation email there was a reply telling me that they would take several sharkskins out of a larger order that they got in and ship one to me today! It was some of the best customer service I have ever experienced!
Impressive!

-----

Well, after a few days of pulling my hair out wondering if I want to spend another $200 on my $2600 Powerbook setup, I hit the button.

I bought a Steel Brain Bag and Steel Brain Cell from Tom Bihn. I've NEVER heard a bad word about either of these products... I'm hoping they're worth the premium. I'm fairly confident they will, though. My needs were:

1) *Backpack* format bag with LOTS of storage (Powerbook + text + folders perhaps?)
2) Sleeve with hard outside, soft inside... my opinion of best protection. Sleeve stands alone as capable solo bag.

I feel the BB/BC combo is the only one that matches these (Booq came close, but their backpacks offer far less storage, and while their sleeves are robust, the outside is not rigid).

I'll report back here when I receive them... hopefully before school starts about a month from now.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 04:09 AM

oops, sorry...
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Jul 28, 2004 at 06:09 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

freeblee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 04:50 PM

This is a question to Mamba XS owners, I recently bought one and noticed that there's actually a lot of room for a 12" powerbook to move around in there- so I was wondering if anyone with a Mamba XS uses it with a sleeve, and if so which sleeve?
thanks,
Ben

iBunny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 01:46 PM

Hey all,

I have the 15" Al Powerbook and I'm thinking about getting the Crumpler bag, McBain's Love Child.

Any users here have the McBain's and if so, what size? Crumpler offers one for a 15" screen laptop, but doesn't specify if it will fit the AL Powerbook. It could be a very very tight squeeze looking at the measurements. They also offer one for a 16" screen (XL size), which will definitely fit my PB.

I'm looking for a snug fit, and hoping someone has real world experience with these bags to give me their take.

Thanks!

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by iBunny:
Hey all,

I have the 15" Al Powerbook and I'm thinking about getting the Crumpler bag, McBain's Love Child.

Any users here have the McBain's and if so, what size? Crumpler offers one for a 15" screen laptop, but doesn't specify if it will fit the AL Powerbook. It could be a very very tight squeeze looking at the measurements. They also offer one for a 16" screen (XL size), which will definitely fit my PB.

I'm looking for a snug fit, and hoping someone has real world experience with these bags to give me their take.

Thanks!
I saw this bag when I bought my Wee Bee....Looks like it would fit perfectly! Crumpler bags are great,definately worth the high price!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 08:20 PM

For those of you who are interested in a hard case, check this out:

http://homepage.mac.com/kkeyes/PhotoAlbum45.html

I am so far pleased with this case. I am now not worried that it will get dented or scuffed up. It does not come with a shoulder strap, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Got it from:

www.radtech.us

You can get it in the graphite like mine, or the aluminum finish.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
For those of you who are interested in a hard case, check this out:

I am so far pleased with this case. I am now not worried that it will get dented or scuffed up. It does not come with a shoulder strap, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Got it from:

www.radtech.us

You can get it in the graphite like mine, or the aluminum finish.
MacTruck...nice! Considered it.

BTW... snopped around your Mac page for a minute - Is that close beech formation Continental-sanctioned?!

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by azdude:
MacTruck...nice! Considered it.

BTW... snopped around your Mac page for a minute - Is that close beech formation Continental-sanctioned?!
Actually yes. Those were the last Beech's to be sold off. Flown without passengers to a painting facility as ferry flights.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
gorgeous setup

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2004, 01:28 PM

Anyone has tried or had any experinces with this SwissGear bag? It is available at bestbuy...I went yesterday and looked at it...it looks good but any feed back would be nice.

I am looking for a nice backpack style to carry my 12"PB. A bag that can hold more than just the PB and that does not scream Laptop at school. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bag -> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 08:38 AM

Could not resist and got the bag mention above. It is pretty nice and they were flying out at bestbuy...there were only a few left yesterday...the PB fits quite weel inside...the bag can hold up to a 15.4 screen laptop...so my 12" seems to be a bit small but it is fine. Also I love that there are multiple compartments on which to store stuff, the bag is well build and it looks strong.

opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2004, 10:36 PM

Just thought I'd link to my new post on this topic -- looking for input on those who've shopped for backpacks. It's right here.

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 11:39 PM

Can anyone comment about the Crumpler Bags?

specifically one of these :

http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/.../shrinkle.html

http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/...ep_scarer.html

??

opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by badtz:
Can anyone comment about the Crumpler Bags?

specifically one of these :

http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/.../shrinkle.html

http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/...ep_scarer.html

??
I wonder about these too (at least the latter... I'm not gonna be loading my backpack w/ photo gear)

I've been a bit mystified by Crumpler's popularity here. Their website is quite odd, and seems to offer much less in terms of photos & information than other companies, plus their designs look a bit odd to me... yet I see a lot of people in this thread say good things about them. How are their backpacks?

boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 09:24 PM

Would Brenthaven professional 12'' backpack case fit the ibook? Cheers

opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 11:41 PM

I just thought I would mirror a post I made in a separate thread recently, as it may be helpful for those looking for a backpack.

------

Well, yesterday I went ahead and ordered the Spire Volt XL backpack, direct from spireusa.com (I'm not sure if there's any other way). Thanks to MusicVideosRock for reminding me of them -- I went over the slashdot thread again and found many extremely positive comments about their backpacks, but the clincher was this Gadgeteer review that I found in a Google search -- very informative and detailed with lots of pics, typical of Gadgeteer reviews. I just never thought to look there, as I didn't know they had delved into laptop stuff.

They gave the BP3 a very positive review as well, but in the comments thread, a couple of readers had a lot of complaints about the backpack -- and worse yet, booq's customer service, which apparently has failed to give people credit or any sort of response when they returned their backpacks (after 3 weeks in one case!) In contrast, Spire's customer service is said to be very good.

I was considering the smaller two backpacks as the Volt XL looked rather large, but when I looked at the dimensions they were really not that much smaller, surprisingly enough (not even my current Jansport is that much smaller!), and I've read the most positive feedback about the Volt XL.

One more thing: if anyone plans to order from Spire, use the coupon code "NRVW" for $20 off any order. I'm not sure when it expires.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by freeblee:
This is a question to Mamba XS owners, I recently bought one and noticed that there's actually a lot of room for a 12" powerbook to move around in there- so I was wondering if anyone with a Mamba XS uses it with a sleeve, and if so which sleeve?
thanks,
Ben
A little unrelated, but I know what you mean about the extra room. I think it's just a lack of padding on the Mamba XS bag, particularly on the bottom. I typically slide my Powerbook into the bag while it's resting on the ground, but after hearing the dull 'thud' as my PB strikes bottom I finally added a 1.5" layer of padding down there. It definately gives my 12" a better fit and I'd recommend it to any Mamba owner. If the bag slips out of your hand and hits a hard floor your PB will suffer without it.

twoworads
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 11:21 PM

Which neoprene sleeve is better? I can't tell. I know you all probably haven't bought both to compare, but your individual feedback from your individual purchase would be greatly appreciated. I have a beautiful 17" that I don't want defiled in any way.

Thanks,
Sam Schroeder
1 GHz 17" PowerBook
1.5 GB RAM

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 11:37 PM

i got the acmemade. totally worth it, there's hard-shell padding on bottom and sides. plus there are stylish ones, not 'gay' as others have mentioned. yeah, sure they're happy and everything, but not overly-happy...

drop it in a freitag and it's solid. chicks dig it.

Originally posted by twoworads:
Which neoprene sleeve is better? I can't tell. I know you all probably haven't bought both to compare, but your individual feedback from your individual purchase would be greatly appreciated. I have a beautiful 17" that I don't want defiled in any way.

Thanks,
Sam Schroeder

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 12:17 AM

Just an FYI

I washed my Timbuk2 bag in the wash machine as instructed on the website and it turned out just fine. I was a little nervous about it losing its form, but it actually gained it back. I'm still very happy with my bag.
-nate

ZebzFree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 05:42 PM

Hey everyone. Man, these forums sure do make a new laptop owner paranoid. LoL I've owned my new 15" for less then a week and I'm already fretting about dropping it and everyhing. LoL At least I got the SafeWare insurance for this year. Sheesh.

My question is concerning laptop bags/sleeves of course. I'm a student, an art student and that and I carry a ton of junk with me at any given time. I picked up a Targus Gravity backpack from Comp USA and it seems to do a fairly good job of storing all my crap. It also has a seperate compartment in the rear for my laptop and it seems to be padded decently.

I was fine with all this at first. I figured it'd probably be sage in it's laptop backpack. Then I heard about the silly things getting scratches from the zippers, loose items somehow getting into bag, etc. So I shelled out the cash for a Radtech Powersleev since I enjoyed their Screensaverz product so much. Great. All was well.

Now I'm worried it won't be padded enough to handle bumps and small falls. LoL So I'm considering selling the Radtech and getting something else that has more "foam" protection or what ever, shock protection, but it still must fit in the bag... which won't be much of a problem. So I was curious what you're guys input would be. I thought the new MacCase Stealth Sleeve looked pretty neat. But I can't find any reviews on it. Maybe you guys could help a brother out. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2004, 11:10 PM

Does anyone own a Timbuk2 "Commute" bag, and if so, how does it work? Is it well padded? The site says you don't need a sleeve, but I don't know whether to trust them or not.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 02:41 AM

I recently received my Brain Bag and Brain Cell (both Steel) from http://www.TomBihn.com/

Short review? Wow. Incredible products, both of them.

Long review?

The Brain Cell is great. I had always been looking for a sleeve with a hard shell and soft-padding interior, and the Brain Cell was it. I love it just because of this. As an added plus, it looks great, forms an awesome solo case when you only need the PB, and-- oh yeah-- it fits the 15" AluBook absoltely perfectly. Super.

The Brain Bag, although it shocked me initially when it came with its gargantuan size, is an equally impressive product. The size, although a bit startling, is actually the main reason I bought it in the first place... I needed a bag that would comfortably (and safely) fit the Powerbook *and* a good amount of other stuff, and the Brain Bag does it easily.

-No, it certainly doesn't look like a laptop bag (my girlfriend calls it my parachute!).
-The thing is built like a tank. The material is thick and tough. The zipper pulls and covers are both substantial and strong.
-The pockets have plenty of "slack," allowing them to expand for a nice amount of stuff.
-I'll say it again... storage potential is incredible. This thing could fit my 11 year old sister.

Understand that overall, the Brain Bag/Brain Cell combo *rocks*... and that none of the following items really bug me enough to make me regret the purchase the slightest amount:

-- I feel that the sides of the Brain Bag (underneath the main-compartment zippers) would form a great location for a couple additional pockets (1 or two per side). It'd be nice to have more than 3 pockets.

-- I'm not finding myself clipping the Brain Cell into the Brain Bag as I'm "supposed to." First, it's not going to "fall out." Second, I worry that perhaps the action of pulling a PB out of the tight Brain Cell pulls too much shear stress on the sewn-in Clip Straps on the Brain Cell... I wouldn't want premature tears.

-- It'd be nice if the waist strap were removable without cutting. I use the breast-strap all the time, but the waist strap is a bit much for me, regardless of how ergonomically beneficial it may be.

I'll post some photos tomorrow perhaps.

flexagon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by anamexis:
Does anyone own a Timbuk2 "Commute" bag, and if so, how does it work? Is it well padded? The site says you don't need a sleeve, but I don't know whether to trust them or not.
I've just got one for my 15" AlBook and so far I like it. The sleeve part is moderately padded and has a fuzzy lining, and the back of the bag has a dense foam padding. It's a snug fit for the powerbook so you wouldn't be able to use a sleeve at the same time, not even a 'second skin'.

Fenbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 02:53 PM

http://www.jin.ne.jp/toranku/inner.html

Awesome cases. A Japanese friend of mine went to a funeral in Tokyo recently, and came back with one of these as an awesome present (by present I mean I had to pay him back ).

He got me the 17" Case which I must say I am deeply in love with.

My Case (I'll get some real world pics when I get a digital cam) :

It fits my 17" Powerbook like a glove and I find myself carrying the damn thing everywhere.

Although I love my case, I have to say their 12" & 15" Powerbook case is the best looking; compliments Apple's simple albook design extremely well.

The 12" Case: Yummy
( Last edited by Fenbar; Sep 4, 2004 at 03:31 PM. )

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 4, 2004, 03:32 PM

holy nice sweet case batman!!

i want one for my 15". but that seems too slick to be safe thou. lol.
Ryan

Forum Links
Forum Rules