Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 12)
narkoreptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by rilina:
I got my Tucano SecondSkin iBook sleeve and Tucano Cobra series 12" messenger bag today.

Kirke did a great job taking pictures in his review of the same products, so I'm not going to take pictures myself. I just have a few extra things to report:

(3) The iBook fits perfectly into the padded section of the bag--too perfectly, in fact. Because when you put the iBook in its sleeve it simply won't fit into the padded section. This leads me to conclude that this bag was really designed for powerbooks or was really not supposed to be used in combo with a sleeve. (The iBook in its sleeve does fit in the non-padded section of the bag, though this would seem to defeat the purpose of having a padded section.)
Has anyone tried the Tucano 2nd skin PB sleeve and Tucano Cobra 14"/15" messenger bag? I'm interested in this setup but hesitant due to the uncertainty of the fitment.

perbl
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 07:51 PM

BTW, I vote for Oakley as a backpack, and they receive massive bonuscred for the choice of computer in the pictures of their packs

Looks really cool, quality isn't bad either.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 12:04 PM

tye best bag for me isn't bulky, its comfortable and doesn't scream 'steal me.'

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2004, 09:21 PM

If anyone is interested in the Courier messenger bag from Tom Bihn, I wrote a small review and have some pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/djpluv/iblog...521/index.html

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2004, 09:32 PM

Y'all should just quit the hand wringing and buy a Booq product. Either one of the sleeves (which, since they have a handle aren't really just sleeves at all) or one of the bags. Either way, you'll be 100% pleased. Great products.
Apple user since 1987

PseudoTech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2004, 12:54 AM

I'm far too lazy to read 14 pages of specifics on laptop cases - so, I'm going to pose a question here - no flames please.

The case I was using for my old 12" iBook is not up to spec for my new PB 15 inch... I'm sooo anal retentive about getting this thing marked up and scratched - so I need a new case, basically.

Small & light - and not too hard on the pocketbook (poor student/techie who far exceeded her budget on this PB)...

I like the Booq MambaXL, but the price is just out of reach for the moment. Any suggestions on anything cheaper, in the same weight/size class?

jcmurphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2004, 02:15 PM

Has anyone seen the new (i think) Booq sleeve? It's called the Vyper. You can see it here. I ordered one today for my 12" ibook. It should ship next week - I'll post pics when it arrives.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by jcmurphy:
Has anyone seen the new (i think) Booq sleeve? It's called the Vyper. You can see it here. I ordered one today for my 12" ibook. It should ship next week - I'll post pics when it arrives.
Damn! I just got my PowerSleeve14.
Apple user since 1987

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 12:37 AM

I just picked this Tumi Limited Edition for $265 or so at the local Tumi store and I'm quite impressed with the quality and amount of storage it offers.

But I may still get one of those vypers... I wonder, are they form fitting, or do they bulk up the computer a little?
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 12:50 AM

TUMI makes great products. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

And about the new Booq product, I'm sure it adds SOME size. Otherwise, it wouldn't really offer any protection except from scratches.
Apple user since 1987

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2004, 09:24 AM

i'm hoping to get the oakley backpack over the holidays. right now i just use a timbuk2 powerbook sleeve insidge a messenger bag.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
TUMI makes great products. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

And about the new Booq product, I'm sure it adds SOME size. Otherwise, it wouldn't really offer any protection except from scratches.
Well I got one being shipped to me and I'll use it as additional protection and for quick trips into the books store or Starbucks for some Wifi.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Well I got one being shipped to me and I'll use it as additional protection and for quick trips into...Starbucks for some Wifi.
Apple user since 1987

Leo the 3rd
Dec 12, 2004, 10:18 PM

Well it looks like Waterfield Designs has redesigned their website. The look is much cleaner. Gotta love their gear.

Update - I see now that the Cargo bag has an option for a leather flap. This must be new. Nice touch too. Dang, now I have another decision when ordering a Cargo bag from them.
( Last edited by Leo the 3rd; Dec 12, 2004 at 10:44 PM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 03:59 PM

I had the best combo, a sleeve in a notebook backpack but the backpack zipper just broke and I'm lookin for something new. Anybody got a good suggestion for a messenger bag or backpack that could hold my 12" in the sleeve (dimensions 13 x 11.5 x 2.5), but also fit a decent textbook and some folders as well, and not look like crap in the process. Any suggestions?

I have a marware sportfolio II and used to have the eBags downloader backpack.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

beachgerl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 02:05 PM

I just went with what I found appealing. I'm not looking all in one bag but a simple messenger bag since I'm more of a casual traveler/commuter. I just went with Timbuk2 Commute laptop bag. Works like a charm for me since I will be flying soon and I need something I can carry easily and protect my PB as well as to stuff few items in it. I'm amazed that many companies coming up with inventions for bags. Things should get better in future.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by beachgerl:
I'm not looking all in one bag but a simple messenger bag since I'm more of a casual traveler/commuter...
I read this too fast and saw "...since I'm more of a communist..."
Apple user since 1987

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2004, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by jcmurphy:
Just wondering if you got your Vyper sleeve yet? I'd really love to see one in actual use. I just love the style and design of this sleeve.
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

schalliol
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 11:34 PM

I love my Tumi Epandable Organizer Brief. One thing I did for a tight fit and added protection for my PowerBook Ti is get Timbuk2's insert to replace the one Tumi provided. Man, I just love Tumi products...
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

skyslushy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 12:14 AM

I bought this one and it's awesome:
http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...?productId=428

check out north face

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 07:17 PM

Can a Timbuk2 Commute hold a 12" with a sleeve and still have enough room for a textbook and some folders? I'm a student and dont wanna regret getting something I wont be able to use all the time.

vtgts300kw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 09:44 PM

heres my bag, nothing but the best for my upcoming powerbook.

fits in easily and i can also fit in my books and paper which i need. little bit more pricey however.

http://www.geocities.com/vtgts300kw/DSC00612.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/vtgts300kw/DSC00611.JPG
( Last edited by vtgts300kw; Dec 29, 2004 at 04:10 AM. )

jooka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 07:55 AM

luis vutton?

where did you got it and what price?

vtgts300kw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by jooka:
luis vutton?

where did you got it and what price?
louis vuitton store in New Zealand. price into USD would be about $1,700 USD. theres no padding inside the bag however it is a rigid bag and when i carry my current laptop in it i obviously treat it with care due to the fact its an expensive bag. i usualy wrap the laptop up in the bag itselfs dust bag that it came in to protect the computer from rubbing with the battery and books etc.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 01:07 PM

As a man, I will not be caught dead carrying or wearing a product made by Luis Vuitton, Dooney & Burke, or Coach. That's just me though.
Apple user since 1987

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 02:46 PM

Well, we all know you have issues with your antiquated, conservative notions of "maleness", so why don't you contribute something instead of subjecting us with your pseudo-machismo and latent tastelessness?

Like:
freitag (check out their f-cut bag-builder)
They also have a new laptop sleeve.

Originally posted by STAT:
As a man, I will not be caught dead carrying or wearing a product made by Luis Vuitton, Dooney & Burke, or Coach. That's just me though.
Closet?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 04:25 PM

although overpriced, some LV bags are actually nice...at least for the ladies, not sure about the man-purses. but if i were ever to get one, i'd never buy one with the logos prominently displayed like that. i think that's kinda tacky and just shows off that you have an LV bag. then again, i'm anti-logo.
Ryan

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 05:52 PM

Just wondering, I just got the Timbuk2 Commute and after one day I love it, even though I'm not 100% converted to messenger bags (born n raised on backpacks). My question is this, I really like the fact that I could raise any end , swing the bag behind me, to my side, where ever I please basically want without getting it caught on my clothes or raising it off my shoulder, but I could use a shoulder strap. So with a shoulder strap from Timbuk2, would I be able to keep the strap on my shoulder and let it slide by the same without lifting the thing off my shoulder or would it cling to my clothes and would I have to lift the strap off my shoulder adjust then put back down(I really hate when that happens)? I just don't want the cling.

PS. The commute is the perfect bag for a student who wants to keep a textbook folder and small crap along side a PB, I got my 12" in a sportfolio II case in the laptop holster without problem, talk about perfect.

vtgts300kw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
although overpriced, some LV bags are actually nice...at least for the ladies, not sure about the man-purses. but if i were ever to get one, i'd never buy one with the logos prominently displayed like that. i think that's kinda tacky and just shows off that you have an LV bag. then again, i'm anti-logo.
they are overpriced yes, but will last for a long time due to the quality of the workmanship.

i too hate bags that scream "louis vuitton" such as those ****ing brown and white patterned bags,which are indeed, incredibly tacky, thats why i got this bag as it is incredibly well made and is very subtly, you have to be looking fairly hard to see the embossed pattern.

and its hardly a man purse? its a bag that has a shoulder strap just like any other laptop bag. its a satchel, hardly a mans purse.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Well, we all know you have issues with your antiquated, conservative notions of "maleness", so why don't you contribute something instead of subjecting us with your pseudo-machismo and latent tastelessness?
Alright, I'll contribute something you clown...

Don't get all upset because I won't be seen with designer, feminine handbag products. Believe me, there are other men like me. And yes, even in the laptop computer society that frequents these MacNN boards, there ARE others out there!

Here's an excerpt from something I received in an email that I think some of you L. Vuitton types who don't understand where I'm coming from should read. For those types who choose to sport such designerwear, but understand where I'm coming from, feel free to scroll past.
A man, no matter what the women insists, PAYS FOR THE DATE.

A man opens doors for a lady. Even for the ones that fit that term only because they are female.

A man DEALS with IT, be it a flat tire, break-in at your home, or a natural disaster, you DEAL WITH IT.

A man not only eats red meat, he often kills it himself.

A man should know how to properly kill stuff (or people) if need be. This falls under the "Dealing With It" portion of The Code.

A man watches no television show with "Queer" in the title.

A man does not let neighbors screw up rooms in his house on national TV.

A man is allowed to seek professional help for major mental stress such as drug/alcohol addiction, death of your entire family in a freak treechipper accident, favorite sports team being moved to a different city, favorite bird dog expiring, etc. You are NOT allowed to see a shrink because Daddy didn't pay you enough attention. Daddy was busy DEALING WITH IT. When you screwed up, he DEALT with you.

A man will have at least one outfit in his wardrobe designed to conceal himself from prey.

A man knows how to tie a Windsor knot when wearing a tie, and ONLY a Windsor knot.

A man should have at least one good wound he can brag about.

A man knows how to use a basic set of tools. If you can't hammer a nail, or drill a straight hole, practice in secret until you can...or be rightfully ridiculed for the wuss you are.

A man knows that owning a gun is not a sign that your are riddled with fear, guns are TOOLS and are often essential to DEAL WITH IT. Plus they're just plain fun to shoot.

A man knows how to say the Pledge of Allegiance properly, and with the correct emphasis and pronunciation. He also knows the words to the Star Spangled Banner.

A man will have hobbies and habits his wife and mother do not understand, but that are essential to his manliness, in that they offset the acceptable manliness decline he suffers when be becomes married, engaged, or in a serious healthy relationship (i.e., hunting, boxing, shot putting, shooting, cigars, car maintenance).

A man knows how to sharpen his own knives and kitchen utensils.

A man can drive in snow (hell, a blizzard) without sliding all over or driving under 20mph, without anxiety, and without high-centering his ride in a snow bank.

A man doesn't need a contract--a handshake is good enough. He will always stand by his word even if circumstances change or the other person deceived him.

A man doesn't immediately look to sue someone when he does something stupid and hurts himself. He understands that sometimes, in the process of doing things, we get hurt and we just DEAL WITH IT!

Apple user since 1987

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 02:51 AM

that code is what started most wars, and conflicts. especially the parts that emphasized that we have to DEAL WITH IT.
Ryan

djpluv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by vtgts300kw:
and its hardly a man purse? its a bag that has a shoulder strap just like any other laptop bag. its a satchel, hardly a mans purse.
"It's not a purse, it's European."

- Jerry Seinfeld

:-)

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
that code is what started most wars, and conflicts.
No it isn't. What grade are you in again?
( Last edited by STAT; Dec 30, 2004 at 01:22 PM. )
Apple user since 1987

theBlend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 09:17 PM

If you want a case that screams "Keepin' it real" then you need not look any further than the "PowerPizza":

http://www.humanbeans.net/powerpizza/
[FONT=Verdana]Dual 30" ACDs, PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz 4.5GB RAM
15" PB 1.5GHz 2GB RAM, 4G 20GB iPod w/Colour[/FONT]

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 03:23 PM

Has anyone received the Booq Vyper yet? Is it as nice as it looks?

http://www.booqbags.com/Search.bok?c...&keyword=vyper

OAW

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by theBlend:
If you want a case that screams "Keepin' it real" then you need not look any further than the "PowerPizza":

http://www.humanbeans.net/powerpizza/

As Chris Rock once said, "N1ggas loooove to keep it real ... REAL DUMB"

pff .. pizza

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 02:03 PM

Back to the original topic you whiney bitches

BooqBag's Vyper

Great protection against contact with other objects. Pretty mediocre protection against falls. Not much to absorb the shock. The corners pose the greatest cause for concern if it is dropped. Surface protection is good though. I don't see many things that would get through it unless they were stabbed into it hard. Looks really nice but the cost should be lower for what you get. I say its worth $30, $35 shipped.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Jan 12, 2005 at 02:12 PM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

emp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 05:00 PM

got my booq vyper M sleeve today for my 15" powerbook.

a little roomy around the corners, and a little roomy in the front and back. if you push on the corner, the structure of the sleeve seems to give way a little before you feel the corner of the powerbook, so maybe that extra room is a good thing. it's not as much protection as an actual hard case, but i think it feels more protective than the squishy wetsuit sleeves. i have been looking for "the right sleeve" (hard enough to protect against scratches and bumps, but slim and sleeve-like enough to put in a book bag) for 4 months, and i think the booq vyper is as close to perfection as i can find right now.

photos:
booq vyper photos
http://emkim.mit.edu

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by emp:
i think the booq vyper is as close to perfection as i can find right now.

photos:
booq vyper photos
In looks I would agree. But they skimped on the padding. If they could line the inside of this with the stuff the Zeroshock is made from or even some neoprene it would be a whole world better.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 12:55 AM

too bad it doesn't fit the PB12. nor does it have a handle.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 03:21 PM

I like these cases:
Acme Made
They're fantastic, and have hard sides and bottom; and the profile is very slim.

They're probably not "manly" enough for STAT, though.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2005, 12:48 PM

looked through all, and need help deciding between Tumi and the Booq. I live in minnesota, and the booq is completely enclosed and waterproof, but the tumi is not. However, I like how the tumi looks better. Any help?
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

peaceyall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 04:44 PM

with all other sleeves out there, is there another that you think offers better protection than the vyper? something that's fairly thin, protective corners, protection from falls, and absorbs impacts?

another sleeve i found for women is here....
http://www.spireusa.com/products/SHHS.html

seems like it may be a little large and i can't tell how much protection it offers, but it's cheap. a bit too feminine for me though.

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Back to the original topic you whiney bitches

BooqBag's Vyper

Great protection against contact with other objects. Pretty mediocre protection against falls. Not much to absorb the shock. The corners pose the greatest cause for concern if it is dropped. Surface protection is good though. I don't see many things that would get through it unless they were stabbed into it hard. Looks really nice but the cost should be lower for what you get. I say its worth $30, $35 shipped.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 05:19 PM

The Brain Cell by Tom Bihn seems a lot more safe than the Vyper to me.
I just got one for my 12"PB and it seems like the ultimate protection avaiable and I have searched around a lot.

rna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2005, 11:04 PM

This is a very informative thread. Im looking for a case for my 12" PB where I dont need to remove the laptop to use it. The Infocase bags are the only ones Ive found so far that meet this requirement.

http://infocase.com/product_search.php?id_num=7

I havent seen reviews for this bag anywhere. Anyone own this bag? Id also like to hear about similar bags.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 12:46 AM

I talked to a fellow in a cafe who had the crumpler sleeve, and it appeared to be a work-in-case style sleeve, without the hideous straps of yore.

If you can tolerate navigating their, um, "avant-garde" site design that is. This coming from a pretty open-minded designer.

Leo the 3rd
Jan 21, 2005, 12:29 PM

Just an update, but I just received the Waterfield Large Lead Cargo bag I won off eBay. The seller had to let it go due to recent back surgery. It's in pristine condition. Man this thing holds everything for my PowerBook. I use it with the Sleevecase from Waterfield. Anyone looking at a messenger bag deserves to check out this case. Highly recommended.

lusyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by rna:
This is a very informative thread. Im looking for a case for my 12" PB where I dont need to remove the laptop to use it. The Infocase bags are the only ones Ive found so far that meet this requirement.

http://infocase.com/product_search.php?id_num=7

I havent seen reviews for this bag anywhere. Anyone own this bag? Id also like to hear about similar bags.
Hey,

Im looking for something like a work-in sleeve as well..

A friend has knocked his iBook off the table from the AC cable twice, and then I did the same thing with a co-workers 12" powerbook. pretty much just like this guy:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=197065

I need my 17" to be in a protective sleeve at all times, and to stay there in case of a fall... I like the shinza zeroshock, but theres no 17" model. However, I see this iDee Magicsoft online. Does anyone have one? seems like the same material as the shinza but they offer the right size..

http://www.hi-tecusa.com/product.asp...ain=info&id=48

also, I like this Tucano Apple Work-in sleeve:
http://www.tucano.it/ENG/wcProductCa...Code=WI-PB17-I

anyone know if that would stay in place during a fall? or know where to find that in the states?

If anyone has any ideas about where to repair my friends powerbook email me...apple or techrestore.. alternatives and such. thanks.
lucid

iSoul Monkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 01:35 AM

Anyone got one of the axis hardpacks, like the Swift Hardpack or the Tekno Hardpack?

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 02:48 AM

The internal laptop sleeve doesn't look very secure, hardshell or no. I worked in a Motorcycle shop last year and a customer bought the Swift bag but wasn't happy with it. The Swift doesn't hold much, but it does look trick. The Apple Store is now selling the fuse and it seemed better quality.
I'm looking at the upcoming Hybrid for my PowerBook.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules