Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 13)
ricacu
Jan 27, 2005, 12:41 PM

my powersleeve 14' arrived for my 15'al

the 14powersleeve has a more tight fit on the 15'al than the 15powersleeve . Thats all i wanted, good protection, that feels tight, and good looking. Can post pics of the fit if you guys want to.
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

nick_coday
Jan 30, 2005, 10:40 PM

Yes, please do!
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

shreddog
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 09:22 AM

Has anyone used this sleeve? This thread way to large to search the whole thing. Sorry if this is a repeat question.

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=45

I'm skeptical of "generic" sleeves. I want it to fit my 12" PB snugly.

Thanks!
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 05:10 AM

hey all, I have pretty much read all 13 pages, I am ordering a 15in powerbook tomorrow, and am pretty sure I am going to get the timbuk2 commute. Do I need, or would it be a good idea to get a sleeve to go in this case as well, or is it well enough padded? I also like the crumpler bags but they appear to be less pdded and more money, no?

Are there any really padded backpack style that anyone can recommend? I have a targus and my ibook flopped around back and forth cause there was nothing to hold it in place. I like this type of style http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=82 but it would not work with the 15in PB correct?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 10:15 AM

I got me one of these from Axio and it's awesome. Very spacious, very protective, good padding, and well-sized pockets for PS and mouse, and a pocket for iPod with an exit for the headphones. And very important : very comfy, sits great!

Recommend it!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 10:16 AM

oops

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2005, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by d.fine:
I got me one of these from Axio and it's awesome. Very spacious, very protective, good padding, and well-sized pockets for PS and mouse, and a pocket for iPod with an exit for the headphones. And very important : very comfy, sits great!

Recommend it!
that looks killer! i wish i didn't see that, cause now i want one

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Lattimer  (op)
Feb 5, 2005, 11:01 AM

FWIW - The 15 AL fits perfectly into the Timbuk2 Commute...no sleeve needed. It works very well.
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 02:48 PM

what backpack style case would hold a notebook, a school book or two, and have good thick padding?
( Last edited by ero2; Feb 7, 2005 at 06:04 PM. )

waterbuck
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 01:58 AM

Hi
I was using, and have not been so impressed with, a Tom Bihn Brain Cell (it has somewhat hard walls and padding, and advertises itself
http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...roduct_Count=0 with a picture of a "drop test"

Anyway, what was very good about the Brain Cell is that it had a shoulder strap and could be used as an independent little sack, and it also could be tucked inside a larger backpack or sidebag.
What was not so good is that it failed in a few ways. First the metal hasp that holds the shoulder strap just gave out and broke. Oh-oh. The bag didn't hit the ground at full force because I jerked up on the remaining intact side of the shoulder strap. That struck me as a sign of not-so-good workmanship. Second, the bag actually did drop when the zipper on my backpack gave way. When the Tom Bihn Brain Cell hit the ground, my laptop case sustained significant damage, although to be fair, the computer did start up afterward.

Anyway,I'm getting a new 15" AlBook. I think I liked having a sturdy brief-sleeve like the Tom Bihn to put in more than one larger bag (sometimes a brief/messenger sac and sometimes a backpack). I am quite interested in learning if anything is built tougher. I am indeed considering the MacTruck but it seems just too heavy and too expensive. The Shinza Zero-shock 15-inch version looked pretty good, but may be no stronger than the Brain Cell.

What makes the grade for sturdy?
Should I actually be looking at Messenger bags with padded sections in them?

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 08:14 AM

do the crumpler backpacks hold books as well? I am curious cause from the site it looks like they only hold the powerbook and like a ipod or cell phone. Anyone have any pics of any of the backpack style crumplers (base toucher, etc), and do they hold more than just the comp?

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 11:30 AM

Waterbuck

I too have a Brain Cell and I know what you mean. The problem is that even though the quality may not be the best,I think the protection of the sling has to be the best.
I have a couple of Waterfield sleeves for the 15" and they seem much higher quality to me.
Everything about them is well done except that they are just a sleeve cover with no additional protection. I have used them inside a messenger bag and been happy but also very leary of ever dropping it. With the Brain Cell in the same bag I feel more confident that a drop would be survivable.

I have looked at the MacTruck and just want one for style alone. Sure they are scratch resistent but I think they are much less protective than a sleeve which provides some active padding. The Truck would make things worse I think in a fall as the weight would work against you. It can me used as a weapon though(always a consideration).

I have a older Port laptop briefcase that I use for my PC that has a compartment of little air filled rubber pillows that seems like the best protection I have ever seen. These wre standard issue with Thinkpads a while back. Very nice construction and quality throughout and lots of storage and organization. Also just looks like a briefcase and my 12"PB gets lost in it.

Waterfield does have the Racer-X which apparantly has a Brain Bag like sling inside a small case. It looks great and I almost got one but they don't seem to hold much in the way of accessories and books/paper and are pricey for that.
I may end up trying one though.

Seems like a never-ending quest.

waterbuck
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 11:36 PM

What do people like for big, laptop protected sacks?

Jansport has a medium-sized backpack with a very good-looking "Shockshield" technology. Play their little video and you'll be converted: jansport optimizer bag

Still it is under 2000 cubic inches. I tend to be a packrat. So I want something safe for my computer and all my stuff.

I could see myself putting a sleeve on my 15" AlBook and putting into a sack but if there is a backpack designed to be big and to really protect the laptop computer, that would be of great interest.

jmagic
Feb 9, 2005, 12:14 AM

sorry about posting another bag thread, but i have looked through the long sticky thread, and still cannot decide.

i have a 15" sleeve, and the incase laptop bag, but i am looking for something that will hold my laptop without a sleeve, the charger, and have room for about 2-3 3 subject notebooks. this will allow me to carry just one bag to class for everything.

i dont really like the sleeve in backpack, because its kind of a hassle to take a sleeve out, then unzip it, before i can get a hold of my laptop.

i have been looking at crumpler and timbuk2 (messenger bags), both of which look really cool, but i am am unsure on the spacing. i know which ones fit the 15" powerbook, but i NEED some extra space to bring notebooks to class too.

can anyone give me some advice please!!

thanks in advance
jonathan
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 12:30 AM

Does anyone have a Radtech Loop? I'm looking at it for my new 17" when it arrives. I need to go with a backpack of some sort because I need to carry 1 or 2 text books around. The Loop looks like it is one of the best in terms of bang for the buck, which is an important factor as Mr. Jobs took most of my money. I'm wondering if it will fit Lapzilla in addition to a sleeve, as I'm thinking I'll want a Booq Powersleeve17 or something similar so I can leave the bag (& books) somewhere and just carry the computer in the sleeve (and provide uber protection). I guess if the Loop won't accomodate Lapzilla + sleeve then I'll just go with the Booq Boa.xl system, though I'd prefer to just start out with the Loop and get a sleeve later if I decide I do indeed want to.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 05:20 AM

okay so BASE TOUCHER or go bigger for a TEAM PLAYER both from crumpler.
I have a 15" I just picked up today and need a case

pearle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 12:43 PM

I ordered the Waterfield Racer-X from sfbags.com yesterday for my new 17" PowerBook. I'll post some comments on it once I receive it and use it for a bit.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 04:02 PM

well, I went ahead and ordered a base toucher, so if anyone wants a review or anything when I get it, just ask.

waterbuck
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 05:53 PM

(accidentally posted it elsewhere, but it should be in this forum)...

Okay-I have it down to 3 laptop backpack choices. I will have (soon) at 15" AlBook. I expect to carry this to work and as the "extra carryon bag" on the airplane, ie the one that goes under the seat. I also may want to use it without the laptop sometimes.

Option 1: Crumpler Team Player ($100-125, likely)
Crumpler Team Player

This bag is large, probably 2500 cubic inches.
Pros:
Build quality is good, waterproof
Looks cool
Large
Thief-proof zipper (hidden closer to the wearer's back)

Cons:
No external strap/buckles that would allow you to cinch it flatter, Removable laptop sleeve is likely a little loose for independently carrying the 15" AlBook around.

Option 2: RadTech Sports ($75)

Radtech Sports
This is a more traditional looking multicompartmented bag that hangs the laptop in one section, and has about 2100 cubic inch capacity.
Pros:
More compartments & less expensive
Cons:
Not waterproof like the Crumpler
Slightly smaller.

Option 3: Spire USA Volt XL

URL=http://www.spireusa.com/products/VX4.html]Spire Volt XL[/URL]

This is also traditional-looking, with what I suspect would be thicker/heavier nylon/denier and beefier notebook protection
Pros:
Build quality
Very beefy bottom padding to protect the notebook if the pack is dropped
Entirely removable notebook holding section, e.g fully convertible.
Removable notebook sleeve can be used independently

Cons:
Costlier than the others
Not as cool looking as the Crumpler.

Anyway--I wish I could see these live but I live in a town that doesn't have anyone selling this stuff. If anyone out there has held, used or tested these 3 packs let me know.

waterbuck

elise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 03:29 PM

I use a Tom Bihn Brain Cell and messenger bag.

I had the same problem with my shoulder strap that someone else posted about. The strap breaking pissed me off, but to be fair they told me the shoulder strap isn't something they themselves manufacture and they sent me a new strap and a wallet to make up for it.

I looked at different bags for my Powerbook but I couldn't find any with better protection than the Binh cases, so I ended up with theirs and I've been very happy with them. I like the fact that their bags are "Made In The U.S.A.", in Port Angeles. My fiance has family who live there. I got him a Jack Spade bag because he wanted a leather bag.
( Last edited by elise; Feb 11, 2005 at 03:44 PM. )

mcapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 12:57 PM

All,

I find this to be the best. I did not see this one listed in that last thread. Only downside to this is that they are out of stock for 12" and 15" sleeves. However they are shipping on April 15 this year.

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=96

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by mcapple:
All,

I find this to be the best. I did not see this one listed in that last thread. Only downside to this is that they are out of stock for 12" and 15" sleeves. However they are shipping on April 15 this year.

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=96
There's one on eBay with a $71(!!) bid right now, a bit over one day left: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6742397885

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2005, 04:05 PM

i got the RadTech Alley for my 12" http://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx#Alley

really nice fit. it's lightly padded on the front but still well protected in the main compartment. good materials and workmanship. very light compared to my Brenthaven.
( Last edited by teknopimp; Mar 13, 2005 at 10:55 AM. )

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

reemas
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 06:21 PM

How is the padding on the Crumpler sleeve? It seems like such a hard sleeve that any impact will transfer over immediately to the powerbook.

Can it be handled as roughly as the neoprene sleeve?

And does it fit the 15" well?

Thanks all...

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 12:34 PM

Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered a Timbuk2 messenger (navy/silver/silver) as well as a Booq PowerSleeve 17, I'll try to remember to post a review & pics when I get them.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 04:15 PM

A question about Shinza's ZeroShock: my PB is a AlBook 15", and there are two ZeroShocks for 15" listed there. One is labeled (Large) there:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=63

Which one should I choose? Thanks!

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 06:18 PM

just wanted to let everyone know, I recieved my crumpler base toucher and it is AWESOME, I am so impressed, my 15" fits perfect along with all my school books and still a little room to spare. The build quality is fantastic, if anyone wants I'll post pics when I get a chance

jmagic
Feb 17, 2005, 01:42 AM

please post pics!!
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
A question about Shinza's ZeroShock: my PB is a AlBook 15", and there are two ZeroShocks for 15" listed there. One is labeled (Large) there:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=63

Which one should I choose? Thanks!
Please - really no one with an 15" AlBook has bought Shinza ZeroShock before? So far I've only read from 12" users. I'd really like to know which version I should buy - since on their website they didn't even mention "powerbook" in either of the 15" sleeves they offer.

Thanks a lot!

waterbuck
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 05:50 PM

Hi
I was left struggling between the Crumpler Base Toucher and the SpireUSA Volt XL.

Both have at least one lengthy and favorable review

The Volt XL is here:
volt review

The Crumpler review is here:
O'Grady's Crumpler review

The SpireUSA, with its "Boot" sleeve is listed at $160 although an email to Spire asking a question and saying "I am just trying to figure out whether to get this, given the price" resulted in my being sent a 15% off coupon.

The Crumpler can be obtained for various prices ranging from $100 to $140.

Both are said to have strong build quality and capacity of 1900 cubic inches to 2200 cubic inches or so, e.g. fairly big for someone who packs the computer, some other gear and a fair amount of paper and books, but not 3-day trip big. The comparison as I saw it was:

Crumpler:
*funky and younger-looking
*truly waterproof
*nifty "thief-deterrent" zipper position
*1 or 2 interior pockets, 1 external pocket

Volt XL
*more traditional "sport/backpack" look
*side straps allow it to be flattened and cinched down to a more compact volume if need be
*2 major interior compartments plus 4-6 internal sleeves or pockets and 2 external pockets

I decided to go with the Volt XL because I needed the extra pockets to help organize myself and the capacity to flatten the bag with side straps was appealing. Additionally my wife weighed in that she didn't want to support a company with a disgusting website (Crumpler), which I thought was funny...

I'll let you know how it works out. I'm still waiting on the bag, and the powerbook...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by d.fine:

Recommend it!
i agree. i have the tekno in candy red, and i love it. i get a lot of comments about how nice it is.

it is a very nice backpack. . . but there is one thing that i am not happy about it. it is too small inside.

i have a 15" powerbook in a sleeve which sits at the back of the backpack in a compartment, and when i put a textbook in the front compartment it touches the powerbook and puts a little pressure on it.
this is not the end of the world, but i ride a bike and since my back is bent the textbook will rest a lot on the powerbook and that makes me worry a little. (i baby my powerbook)

when i do not carry any books with the powerbook the backpack is amazing, and worth every cent. (it is currently on special right now actually).

today i went to the axio page and i noticed they brought out a new backpack, and i instantly fell in love with it and ordered it.

i will report back when it arrives with info on whether it fixes my space issue.

here is a nice picture of it

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 01:05 AM

The Hybrid backpack looks really nice... and roomy too..
Take some pictures of it when you receive it... Its pricy... but i don't mind if its worth it. Also.. if your taking pictures... can you take a few of them with the backpack on. Thanks

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 11:03 AM

i will definitely take photos of it. i got the shipping email and it will arrive on the 28th. i hate waiting

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 12:22 PM

I purchased the Mac Case messenger bag w/ the sleeve a couple of weeks ago for my PB 15" 1.67. I wasn't too impressed with the sleeve (Becuase of it's bulkyness), but the bag was excellent. The customer support was great too, I decided to take it back and the Presedent wrote me and personaly asked me why I wanted to return it. I simply told him what I thought and then I decided I would keep it and use the sleeve for long distance travel. So I needed a cooler sleeve.

Then I started to hear people talk about the Viper M from booq and I fell in love with it. But they were all out of stock. So I did a search on line and found one at an off the wall place, www.semson.com. They were ultra cool and found one in the back room and it was shipped in 2 days from Cali to here in Ohio. Great service. So basically I am very happy now and so is my PB. If you can find a Vyper from Booq get it. It is an awesome piece! And the Mac Case Messeger bag aint bad either.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

alphamatrix
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 09:09 PM

I decided to go the route of a hard case for my 15", and I'm not disappointed. I got a Pelican 1490 hard case.
(B&H Photo & Video)

Overall, a very sturdy case. Not exactly designed with Apple hardware in mind, the power adapter is just a bit too tall to fit in one the trays under the machine, and has to be put in the side tray at an angle (blame apple for not using standard form factor.) Haven't had any rain so I haven't discovered just how water tight it is, but the O-Ring is large and the thing closes well. Its nice to have locks on it, and there are also two holes for Pelican combinations locks which are sold separately, a bit over kill for a plastic case if you ask me. While I haven't run it inside the case much, it can be done, there is zero access to ports/optical drive that way. Obviously this isn't exactly a lightweight solution, but I'm doing fine, and I'm a weakling.
(Picture Gallery)

SwitchbladeJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 05:25 PM

With a relatively small budget in mind I sat for nearly 3 hours yesterday trying to find a bag that would suit my needs/budget. If I measured and read correctly then the Ogio Hip Hop Messenger bag is the key. I have one ordered (on sale at ebags.com) retail 69.99 i got mine for 55.99. Looks nice and the padded laptop portion should fit my 15" AL Powerbook. I will review it once I get it and use it for a while.
Here is a link for the bag,
Ogio Hip Hop Messenger Bag

for the record I have no interest in either company.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 11:55 PM

Ok, I ordered the Axio Mini for my new 15" PowerBook. I wanted something small, sleek to hold my machine, the power adaptor, some accessories, a magazine and a book, and that's it. I think it will be a good backpack. I'll include a more thorough review when it arrives.

It was sort of expensive, $135 after shipping, but I figure that's about 5% of my PBs value.

Click image for link.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:52 AM

GSixZero: Yeah, I was planning on getting one after my backpack falls apart. Please share pictures.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 06:14 PM

my axio hybrid arrived this morning.

i have not had time, nor a chance, to "field test" the backpack, but i have walked around with it full for a few minutes and it feels very comfortable.

the initial impression is that it is definitely softer than the other axio backpacks. it does not have the hard plastic exteriors that the others have (this is made clear on the website).
i have no idea what the backpack is made out of, but it is thick. you can press it, but it seems to be very durable (time will tell on this one).

the reason i bought it is because i found that the tekno was not spacious enough for me. carrying a textbook, my camera(s), and powerbook was a very tight fit.

the hybrid has two compartments. the outer one is a lot bigger than i was expecting. it is almost the size (depth) of the tekno backpack. there is a large mesh compartment in the front which will hold cables nicely, a pen and business card (type things holder(?)), a key chain, and a book slot. this is the only book slot that does not seem to be able to fit a thick textbook all that nicely. i have my drawing pad in there and magazines would fit nicely too.
all of this is in the front compartment.

the main compartment has a book slot on both sides of the 17" laptop sleeve that comes included with the hybrid. my 15" powerbook wobbles around in the laptop sleeve, but i have a snug wetsuit material (neoprene?) sleeve that i put my powerbook in and then into the laptop sleeve and it is very snug.
on each of the book slots there are mesh compartments that can hold small things, and there are a multitude of zipperd compartments

the ipod (music player) compartment is still inside at the back of the backpack, but the zip for it is not inside anymore, it has moved to below the carry handle. something i think is clever, since you do not need to open the entire backpack to get to your ipod anymore.

there are two small zip compartments on the side of the backpack (where the shoulder straps meet the backpack at the bottom). i have not found a use for these yet.

maybe my old ones have thinned out over the time i have had it, but the new shoulder straps feel thicker; which is never a bad thing.

looks wise, the backpack is amazing. all black with some reflective strips and a reflective axio logo on the front, and a neat square pattern all over the entire backpack.

one minor thing i noticed is that when the zips close they are actually completely covered. very nice.

there is a removable waist band and cellphone pocket (attaches to shoulder strap) that comes with the backpack.

here are photos:

^ inside of tekno, for comparison

^ covered zip, reflective strip, and neat pattern

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 12:44 AM

That's hot. Thanks for the pictures

Do you have a promo code? hehe

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2005, 01:19 AM

Too long of a post. Good pics though. Bottom line...who makes the sleeve that's inside the red pack?
Apple user since 1987

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2005, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by STAT:
...who makes the sleeve that's inside the red pack?
duh... Axio. hit the link.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by STAT:
Too long of a post. Good pics though. Bottom line...who makes the sleeve that's inside the red pack?
the sleeve comes with the backpack. it is velcrod in at the bottom and press studded in on the sides

spacecadet610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2005, 11:46 PM

Does anyone know if the Crumpler Roll o Notes messenger bag will fit the new Powerbookg g4 15"? i want a very small bag to travel light with..

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2005, 03:45 AM

I don't think the Roll-O-Notes will fit the 15" PB. My 12" fits in, it does have some room, but not enough for a 15" I think. Besides, the Roll-O-Notes is not that small, IMO. I just got the Tucano Horizontal Limit yesterday, the difference is quite big between those (in size that is). Of course, the Roll-O-Notes does offer more protestion, but I don't need that kind of protection.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 06:01 AM

View pictures, and some quick thoughts.
http://homepage.mac.com/johndierks/PhotoAlbum6.html

So I got my Axio mini in titanium silver and my feelings about it are mixed.

I bought it for my new 15 inch powerbook 1.67Ghz after upgrading from a rev A 12". I was looking for a case that would carry my laptop, power adaptor, some accessories (iPod, iSight, etc), and perhaps a paper back, and magazine or two.

I ordered it last Friday for ~$135 including shipping. I got the backpack today and opened it up. You get the backpack, a removeable cell phone pouch that clips on to the shoulder straps, and a nice touch, a thin cloth bag to store your backpack in while not in use. I don't think I'd ever do that, but it was nice to get something a little extra.

I opened the backpack up and started checking it out. The build quality seems pretty decent, but nothing that I would write home about. I'd say slightly higher than average, but that's what I would expect for a $100+ backpack. It's not mountaineering grade, but I wouldn't use it for that anyway.

Unzipping the pack was nice, the zippers are heavy and feel durable. The pulls are custom made with the Axio label and are fairly substantial. The inside had two white smudges. Neither were a big deal, but it stinks to not have it arrive perfect.

Like I said, the backpack is basically spilt into two inside. When unzipped fully, the two sides gently balence each other out and the backpack sits up on it's own with the entire backpack ready to be accessed. It's a nice touch. You can release velcro/snaps at the bottom to make the pack lay all the way flat.

One side as the sleeve for the powerbook with a couple small pockets. The powerbook is held in place with a securing strap. The padding is good around the bottom. There are two layers of padding below the PowerBook, probably about 1/2" total or so.

On the other side, (the side with the shell) has a small mesh pocket well suited to an ipod, and three pen pockets. Behind these is another sleeve that can be used to hold files, papers, magazines, etc. This is the spot I would stick my power adaptor. Finally behind this, essentially inside the shell is another small pocket, probably the most protected. This is not a huge pocket, probably the right size for my wallet.

So far I was quite pleased. It seemed like the right size for what I want to to carry, and it's cool looking and comfortable to wear. I stuck my 15" powerbook in to see how it fit, and I was disappointed. The bag isn't really tall enough to protect the laptop. I can get the backpack closed, but it's a very tight fit. I have to massage the zippers closed around the corners of the powerbook as the sticky out. Once zipped up, the corners are still sticking out. I used to make my living repairing laptops, and most case damage occured on the corners. I don't think this case will do a fantastic job of protecting 15" powerbooks. Also when the Powerbook is crammed in there, the insides of the zippers are rubbing up against the corners which I think will lead to scratching if I were to walk around with it for a couple weeks.

I pulled my 15" out and slipped my 12" in, and it was quite obvious that this case is perfect for it. It fit nicely, not crammed in there like my bigger portable, but certainly wasn't moving around.

So in retrospect, I really like the case, but I really wish Axio hadn't claimed that it's compatable with the 15" powerbook, because in my opinion, it really isn't. I think I'm going to send it back to them and order one of their bigger bags, either the Urban or the Techno, which I'm sure will be big enough. Hopefully they won't suffer from any other unforseen downsides.

There are some ok pictures of everything I tried to describe here at my homepage. The link is above. If you've got any questions regarding these bags, send me a PM or an email.

axiominihardcase at macdotcom
( Last edited by GSixZero; Mar 4, 2005 at 06:07 AM. )

satcomtim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2005, 01:31 PM

I am just purcahsed my first Mac; a 15" PB w/ Superdrive and am now looking for a bag. I have already ordered the Radtech ScreensavRz and PowerSleevz.

I really like the Axio Hybrid, but wanted to know if its "worth" the $180 pricetag? mdc do you feel its worth the price? Yes I know price is subjective, but it's still a lot for a bag. Any help would be great!

Tim

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 07:40 PM

GSixZero: Thanks for the pics and the indepth review. Axio then should NOT be advertising that the 15"PB fits then. As you have discovered, unfortunately, it sticks out in the corners and yes, the corners do get banged up quite a bit.

Also, why don't you contact Axio and ask for an exchange or refund.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by satcomtim:
I really like the Axio Hybrid, but wanted to know if its "worth" the $180 pricetag? mdc do you feel its worth the price? Yes I know price is subjective, but it's still a lot for a bag. Any help would be great!

Tim
this may come off sounding like i work for axio, or that i get commission, but yes, i do feel that it is worth the price.

the reason that i think it is worth the price it came yesterday. i was riding my bike to college last night and it started pouring. . . hard. i was completely wet, and so was the backpack.
i understand that axio claims it is waterproof, but there is no way of finding out for sure until you test it yourself. i was glad that i did not have my powerbook in my backpack last night, since i was a bit nervous about their claims.

when i got to college my backpack was covered in water. it was covered in water and not soaked, the material that it was made out of was still dry and all the water was just sitting on the backpack. i could wipe the water off. when i opened my backpack the books, my cameras, and everything else i there was perfectly dry.

here in florida there are seasons when it rains a lot, so for me not to have to worry in the least about my powerbook in my backpack is worth the price of the backpack alone. never mind that the rest of the backpack's features are of the best that i have ever used in a backpack. i have had a lot of backpacks. there are 4 under the bed that i am sitting on now.

if you do not mind spending the $180 and feel that it is okay to spend that on a backpack, then i would whole heartedly recommend the hybrid.

maphro
Mar 5, 2005, 07:00 AM

I want one of these http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=97

BOOG VYPER 12"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "
it gets pretty expensive if I have them ship to Canada~~
does anyone where I can get them in Canada?
my new 12" PB needs a friend~~~

Forum Links
Forum Rules