Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 17)
dino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ali-son
I've been following this thread off and on since its beginnings, and I still haven't found the perfect bag for my 15" alu PB. I've tried a number of different options but nothing I've found is right. What I basically need/want is a slim case that can hold the PB plus power adapter, iPod, some disks, and maybe a magazine or two. So far so good—there are a ton of cases like this on the market. However, I need one additional feature: the ability to slip it over the handle of my rolling suitcase, i.e. a wheelie strap or over-the-handle opening. I really love Brenthaven cases, and am hesitating over the Pro 12/15, but it's just not as slim as I'd like (5"!). My ideal case would be 3 inches thick or less.

Anyone have any ideas for me?
TIA
-alison
What do you think about Tucano Work_Out bag? I have it, and i love it!

http://www.tucano.it/ITA/html_estern...me_folders.htm
Powerbook G4 15.2 | 1.67 GHz | 100gb | 1.5gb ram
iPod 5G | Black | 30gb
iPod mini | 6gb
iPhone 2G | 16 gb

ali-son
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2005, 04:53 PM

Dino, thanks for the suggestion. It's hard to see any details about the bag on the Tucano website. How many accessories does it have room for? And does it have a "wheelie strap" to slip over the handle of wheeled luggage?

kingjules
Nov 23, 2005, 06:04 PM

does one of you try the slappa backpack?
just wondered if it fits the PB 15

http://www.slappa.com/site/velocity.html

thanks
Jules
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

cjq999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 03:46 PM

I found a great neoprene slim case today at Office Depot. It was 25.99. I like it because it is slim, has a shoulder strap and a pocket for accessories. It fits my 15 in PB very nicely.

cjq999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 03:49 PM

...and it is only 2.25" inches wide.

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 11:11 PM

Surfing around and saw this site with some different bags for your powerbook than normal popular manufacturer.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/bags/index.php

http://www.lagasha.com/

http://www.carryingcase.net/
( Last edited by lafiamma; Nov 30, 2005 at 11:17 PM. )

tether
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 08:46 AM

anyone got the links for the Waterfield sleeve for 12 inch powerbook and the link for the Rebound
?
thanks

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by tether
anyone got the links for the Waterfield sleeve for 12 inch powerbook and the link for the Rebound
?
thanks
The link for the Waterfield sleeve can be found here: http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleev...leevecases.htm

The PB 12 takes a size 6 sleeve, but you need to choose orientation and other options. The sleeve is excellent, though a bit pricey. At least half a dozen people who have seen mine have ordered their own. Good luck.

Roadracr
G4 PB15, 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, 100 GB HD
G4 iMac20, 1.25 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 160 MB HD

Manchungster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 12:07 AM

Those knomo bags are just amazing. Pricey, though.

baeksoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 02:19 PM

Anyone know anything about the (new?) Axio hard sleeves?

I was considering a Vyper XXS for my 12" PB, but then I saw these on Axio's site. I love the look of carbon fiber, but from the detail photos on the site, the CF looks very "fake" (I know it's fake, but I've seen some really good imitations ;p).

For anyone who owns any Axio hardcase in carbon fiber trim, how does it look? For that matter, how is the overall quality of Axio's polycarbonate material?

What do you think about Tucano Work_Out bag? I have it, and i love it!

http://www.tucano.it/ITA/html_estern...me_folders.htm
Wow, some really nice stuff on that site.

Do you know if they sell/ship to the US? I don't understand Italian, but it looks like you need to log in to order, and I can't find the 'register' button <.<

tether
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2005, 03:17 PM

ta.

jumpjim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 06:42 AM

Just bought a Waterfield Large Cargo and, sleeve and Gear Pouch and am delighted with them all. The sleeve is beautifully made, and is lined with fleece on the flap, and non-scratch neoprene inside.

As a result I am selling my Booq Cobra.XM bag as it was a little small for me (I'm a pilot and lug a fair amount of stuff around with me). I've only had it about 6 months and it is in excellent condition having been lovingly looked after.

It is entirely Ballistic Nylon and includes an excellent sleeve with it. Designed for iBook 14"/Powerbook 15"laptops or (god forbid) any other laptop upto 15".

It's on eBay UK and available HERE.

I can post abroad if required but email me for a postage quote first if you're interested.
Indecision is the key to flexibility...

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 05:35 PM

I'm in the process ordering a 'Sentry, Spy Optic' backpack(black version). Unfortunately i could't find a place to buy it somewhere in Europe or in The Netherlands. So i'm buying it from www.motorcycle-superstore.com (this will almost double the costs, argh)...

Anyone here who has this bag?

bschmidt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by pixelwizard
The New 2006 Booq Boa XL System Review
I wanted to throw up my own review of my experience with Booq and the new 2006 Boa XL. I spent a decent amount of time researching bags before I decided on this one. Expensive? Yes, it's a bag forgodsake and you know it costs them less than half that to make. That aside, The Boa XL is quality made bag. It's the largest bag Booq makes and I'm using it with a new 15.2 inch powerbook...
Thanks for the great review PixelWizard! I'm trying to choose between the 2006 Boa.XL and the 2006 Boa.XM, for a PBG4/15, kept in a Vyper M sleeve. Can I ask you a few follow-up questions?

- Why did you go with the 2006 Boa.XL instead of the 2006 Boa.XM for your PowerBookG4/15?
- Is your PBG4 15 loose in the Boa.XL laptop compartment, since the compartment is sized to hold a PBG4/17?
- Is it a problem reaching into this larger laptop compartment and extracting the PBG4/15, since the top of it sits a few inches below the opening of Boa.XL's 17" deep laptop compartment?
- Did you get your Powersleeve? -- I would imagine the extra bulk introduced by inserting your PBG4/15 into a Powersleeve would address any concerns about a loose fit in the Boa.XL?

all the best,
bschmidt
( Last edited by bschmidt; Dec 11, 2005 at 01:54 PM. )

pixelwizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 03:20 PM

I wanted top update my post with new information regarding the powersleeve. I received it a couple weeks back and it is without question better than the viper. It costs an additional $20 if you buy the Python XL System. It's padded nicely, and is supported around each side of the bag with a hard plastic shell insert. It not only provides scratch protection for the powerbook but also provides protection against a possible drop due to it's shell inserts woven between the nylon on each side of the bag. Without question it's the way to go over the Vyper. It also provides extra storage as well and has a handle unlike the Vyper. It's padded a lot more than I had initially guessed and so anyone out there interested, trust me you'll be happy. Other than that I hope that helps everyone when it comes to purchasing this bag and it's affiliated system.

Originally Posted by pixelwizard
The New 2006 Booq Boa XL System Review

I wanted to throw up my own review of my experience with Booq and the new 2006 Boa XL. I spent a decent amount of time researching bags before I decided on this one. Expensive? Yes, it's a bag forgodsake and you know it costs them less than half that to make. That aside, The Boa XL is quality made bag. It's the largest bag Booq makes and I'm using it with a new 15.2 inch powerbook. The bag is put together extremely well with waterproof zippers, quality materials and lots of little pockets. The one thing I wish is that it was a little larger in depth. The bag only feels like it's 5 inchs in depth even though the website claims 8. A stack of 6 college style books, I don't know about but I can defintely get all my little toys in there along with a full size external lacie harddrive and full size horizontal based 3.5 inch external hard disk. Being a little large in the depth would afford the ability to put those items in as well as a stack of books, even if they allowed it to expand an extra couple inches with a zipper system, similar to a suitcase. The outer most pocket does expand open, but it's attached at the bottom, so the bottom depth of the bag remains the same and therefore your limited to the bottom depth. Keep in mind I'm not talking about width and height but rather "Depth". Other than that it's a wonderfully made bag. I considered the Brethaven Pro Video 17 which appears to be slightly larger but not much but almost 4 inches larger interms of depth. Try and find one at an apple store if you want. I also got the Viper L for my 15 inch. First and foremost the Vyper is simply a hard shell with a little bit of flex, it's just molded nylon, think of it like an egg shell. There is no interior plushy padding or neoprene. So don't expect it to protect your powerbook on any level from an accidental drop. It will however prevent against scratches as any sleeve will. Again, think of it like an egg shell. In that regard I think it's overpriced and isn't clearly described reflecting this detail on their website. If they were to add about a .5 inch of padding on the inside it would be worth it's wait in gold but in it's current state, I was a little dissapointed. Also keep in mind, size matters. I bought the Large Viper thinking that the padding on the inside would keep it nice and snug. But there is no padding so if you have a 15" powerbook get the Viper M because otherwise your laptop will slide around on the inside. I ultimately returned mine and got a powersleeve. I haven't received it yet but I gather it has limited padding in it beyond that of the viper and allows me the ability to quickly sling it over the shoulder and go if I want to. Booq is a relatively new company. They are still feeling their way around methods and such in the case of returns, shipping, etc. On top of that expect an added premium tacked onto this years models from last year even if the bag looks nearly the same. Like I said, they're a new company probably not more than a year or two old. Also, they tack a profit margin onto their shipping in addition to their product line of roughly 20%. That's why their shipping charges are so high although in certain instances I've noticed it can be more than that. Is it deceptive, yes, if they wanted more for their product all they have to do is list it for more instead of hiding it in the shipping. Why do they do that? My guess is they offer a lifetime warranty on their bags. What does that mean? If you have a defective product you as the customer keeps it and they send you out a replacement of the exact same product free of charge and free of shipping. This is how it works. You and I both know a lifetime warranty is only as good as the company selling the product. 15 years down the road if the company is no longer around warranties don't mean much. Given this methodology my guess is they want to make their money back on these instances to cover their costs. Is this fair? Yes and No, No it's not fair in that every new customer shouldn't have to cover the costs of any of their "faulty" products (the costs involved in shipping out a new product free of charge as well as doing so free shipping on behalf of the customer who has the faulty product and letting them retain their faulty bag). It is fair in that you know if you get a hold of one of these faulty bags that you can call em up and they'll send you a new one free of charge clear and free and let you keep the faulty product. Eitherway deceptive tactics like hiding profit in shipping is not the way to run a company. If you need to charge more for your product to sustain yourselves as a company all you have to do is increase the cost of your bags fair and square and if people still want to buy they will. To say to them after the fact that they didn't have to buy direct is no excuse and certainly not a way to help to promote your own products.

With that said, the bag is a great bag but I imagine someone who'd by the Brethaven Pro Video 17 would say the same. Booq is a little more stylish but after all guys, a bag is a bag, and first and foremost it should be able to make you totally portable whether your using your laptop for video and need to stuff additional hard drives in the bag along with some books and extra stuff, or your just a student who needs a bag that will carry your laptop with a load of 2.5 deep text books. Both these bags aren't the greatest with the 2.5 inch deep textbooks because their base depth is often times locked to 5 inches, that's certainly the case with the Boa XL and to a certain degree the Brethaven Pro Video 17. Other than that The Boa XL is wonderfuly padded in the laptop compartment as well as all the interior compartments. I definitely get the idea that my laptop will be protected and currently I just slide my 15.2" Apple Laptop into the laptop comparment on it's own and with the stuff I put in the bag which currently isin't a whole lot, it's prettty snug. When I get the Powersleeve I'm gonna start popping the laptop in the powersleeve and testing whether the whole thing slides into the laptop compartment of the Boa XL. I don't have it yet so I have to wait and see.

bustamebus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 03:21 AM

hey, how are the mac-cases bags http://www.mac-case.com/index.htm ? i am thinking about getting one for my 12" powerbook. don't know wether or not to get a messangerbag, shoulder bag, or a backpack. i'd like to get a backpack, but im afraid that my books (i have alot of books) might smash the powerbook if it lays on it. but i'm thinking about getting the messenger bag. I'll just have to use my normal backpack and haul around my powerbook in the messengerbag. how does that sound? do you guys have any suggestions? or do any of you own or have used a bag from mac case?

iDORK
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by bschmidt
Thanks for the great review PixelWizard! I'm trying to choose between the 2006 Boa.XL and the 2006 Boa.XM, for a PBG4/15, kept in a Vyper M sleeve. Can I ask you a few follow-up questions?

- Why did you go with the 2006 Boa.XL instead of the 2006 Boa.XM for your PowerBookG4/15?
- Is your PBG4 15 loose in the Boa.XL laptop compartment, since the compartment is sized to hold a PBG4/17?
- Is it a problem reaching into this larger laptop compartment and extracting the PBG4/15, since the top of it sits a few inches below the opening of Boa.XL's 17" deep laptop compartment?
- Did you get your Powersleeve? -- I would imagine the extra bulk introduced by inserting your PBG4/15 into a Powersleeve would address any concerns about a loose fit in the Boa.XL?

all the best,
bschmidt
Here is a nice review of the Boa Booq Bag XM Backpack with video:

http://www.laptoplogic.com/reviews/detail.php?id=95

daniele tabanella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 08:00 PM

Here are new original and limited editions italian socks.

http://www.pearbags.com/?English_home&language=English

corporatedemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 12:13 PM

I recently purchased the MacCase Sling, http://www.mac-case.com/MacCase%20Slings.htm

Super compact with a cross-shouler strap and fits my 12" PB like a glove. It also doesn't look like a computer case, which is a plus.

$50.00

surfratt
Jan 17, 2006, 11:12 PM

Anyone use Chrome messenger bags? Which one for a 15" Powerbook? Or macbookpro? Have heard good things about chrome messenger bags, but not sure which size for a 15" Macbook pro.

Yardsale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 04:48 PM

awesome.

rick4him
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 03:49 PM

Ok, so I'm going crazy trying to find a good bag. I've read every review I can think of. I am a student, I carry around my 12 inch power book, ipod, and maybe a book and a sprial notebook. I am thinking right now that the mulnaplator by www.ogio.com is my best best. then I'm aslo thinking of the radtech curve, and a timbuck2 communate bag. Also if it is worth the money I am thinking of the t-tech flow large capicaty messenger bag (style number 5112) by tumi. what do you guys think. I don't know if the tumi is nice enough to warrant the money. The ogio seems like a great bag, with lots of room for "stuff'. I want good protection for my lattop, and something that is some what stylish, and that will give me many years of use. Please let me know what you think, i need to make a purchase quick. I look at the brenthaven fusion messenger, and I didn't really like that one. thanks for the advice!
Rick

rick4him
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 03:49 PM

Ok, so I'm going crazy trying to find a good bag. I've read every review I can think of. I am a student, I carry around my 12 inch power book, ipod, and maybe a book and a sprial notebook. I am thinking right now that the mulnaplator by www.ogio.com is my best best. then I'm aslo thinking of the radtech curve, and a timbuck2 communate bag. Also if it is worth the money I am thinking of the t-tech flow large capicaty messenger bag (style number 5112) by tumi. what do you guys think. I don't know if the tumi is nice enough to warrant the money. The ogio seems like a great bag, with lots of room for "stuff'. I want good protection for my lattop, and something that is some what stylish, and that will give me many years of use. Please let me know what you think, i need to make a purchase quick. I look at the brenthaven fusion messenger, and I didn't really like that one. thanks for the advice!
Rick

nycdunz
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 11:22 PM

how about one of them carryons, like a suitcase but you have a handle you can pull up and roll with you on wheels, i saw one in hong kong, samsonite for a 17", but they dont have it here in the US, sigh...

anyone know of one for either the 15" or 17" powerbook? its not a bag, its like one of them things used for traveling, but i see a lot of ppl in the city with it, looks very convenient

does anyone know if this will fit the new 15" macbook pro?

http://us.samsonite.com/webapp/us/se...ngId=-1&pc=C30
( Last edited by nycdunz; Jan 27, 2006 at 02:21 AM. )

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 12:27 PM

I got a new bag for my MacBook the other day. It's a Jack Spade Tech bag. It's wonderful and well worth every penny of the $165 I spent on it. Tons of pockets, durable and attractive. What more could I ask for?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

bunyipbill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 03:51 AM

Went through this thread looking for a sleeve for my wife's 12 powerbook. 17 pages later, realized that I'd completely forgotten about the CAP made by Jandd Mountaineering--they were horribly late in establishing a web presence. http://jandd.com. Their bags are very well made and tough with lifetime warranty for the original owner. The CAP probably isn't as snug as some of the bags described elsewhere in the thread, but they do come in several sizes. Horizontal and vertical styles. Supposed to be padded on all sides. The horizontal ones are designed to clip into several of their larger bike messengar bags, and it also has
delrin loops for an optional shoulder strap, so could also be draped over travelpro-style roller luggage handles.
Size 1) Length 12" Depth 2" Width 10"
Size 2) Length 13" Depth 1.75" Width 11"
Size 3) Length 14" Depth 1.75" Width 11"
Size 4) Length 16" Depth 1.75" Width 12". They say on the website that the material has enough give to accomodate slightly larger laptops--you may want to call to find out.
Weight: .56 lbs Cost is about $24 I just ordered the little one.
They have a shoulder bag called a Tuki that would be great for a 12" PB in conjunction with a padded sleeve--it has foam that protects the front, bottom and back but the sides are not padded, and has a trim external pocket that can hold cables and adapters and other things. The Tova is the same size but has backpack straps.
I've had a Tuki for ages--was using it to carry my PB Duo210, and I just went to the closet and shoved the 12" in, and it fits with room to spare. I'll try to remember to post a picture at some point. Also have one of their Gabriel bike messenger bags that became the infrastructure carrier for our twins because it can expand so much.
No affiliation with them, but I love their gear, and have bought lots of their luggage for ourselves and more as gifts.

So even though the Axio hardsleeve looks really cool...
( Last edited by bunyipbill; Feb 3, 2006 at 11:55 AM. )

zl9600
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 01:26 PM

those jandd bags are really ugly, sorry, just my opinion, but not only do they bury their bags so you can't even find them on their site, they don't do a thing for me. i'd stick with axio, personally, although i cannot speak to the quality of jandd at all.

that post sounded a bit like an ad, so i thought i should chime in
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

Shadowfax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 03:44 PM

Okay, I read the whole thread, did a lot of research, bought two bags and did a careful side-by-side comparo, so I thought I would go ahead and add my $0.02:

The mission: I am an ER doc and need a bag to go to and from work with. I carry a fair amount of gadgets -- PDA, cell phone, camera, a variety of small reference books and medical gadgets (reflex hammers, stethoscopes, etc). I bring my 15" PB to and fro sometimes, and often a pile of papers/journals. I travel occasionally, and always bring my PB on the road with me.

The Booq FOLEE XM:
Initial impression was very nice. I love the lined ipod pockets with the headphone cord pass-through. The strap comes off the bag at an angle, so the bag hangs a little closer to vertical off the hip -- a nice touch. The shoulder strap is standard style, reasonably comfortable. The laptop compartment is large and well-padded, and the included Vyper laptop case is probably superflous for everyday use. The flap closes with very satisfying magnetic clasps and is quite secure. There are a lot of internal pockets -- three or four under the flap, and a large internal compartment with another seven pouches and a large mesh compartment which looks perfect for cables and other tangle-prone items. The pouches are well thought out -- some have a semi-stiff upper lip to hold it open as you reach in, others close nicely with a velcro flap. There is a key clip on the inside. Although the bag is quite large, the amount of internal space is a little disappointing. Unless you use the laptop compartment for your papers/files, there is no good space for these items. The laptop compartment is huge, though -- with a laptop in its Vyper case, you can still fit a one-inch file in there fairliy easily. With all my gadgets in the internal pockets, the front compartment of the bag felt pretty tight upon closing. The look is professional, with the black ballistic nylon overall with touches of chrome and a couple of bright orange highlights. The single handle is comfortable and sturdy, and the fully loaded pack, though quite heavy, hangs without discomfort on my shoulder, and stands upright on the floor without tipping. It comes with a cell phone case and an iPod case which I presume one might mount on the strap. Cost was just over $200 with the pbzone discount.

The Waterfield Cargo Medium Combo:
I really like the look of the one I ordered. I got the gray leather flap with the paragliding buckle. Very cool, and looks professional but not boring. The leather is soft and high-quality. The laptop sleeve is neoprene and feels good to put on/take off. It's less rigid than the Vyper and probably a little less protective but will protect well against incidental bumps and minor impacts just fine. There is a large pouch under the flap which has only a single hanging pocket. The pouch is big enough to hold a lot of files/magazines, etc, though since I stuffed it with doo-dads, I really couldn't put papers in there. The included removable gearbag is great for power cables, etc, and fits in nicely in the pouch under the flap. There are a couple of largish pockets under the flap which are nice for paperback books. The main compartment is unpadded, so if you bring your laptop you definitely need the sleeve. Since it is unpadded, there is a lot more room than in the Booq, despite similar external dimensions. With the laptop and its sleeve I was able to put about three inches worth of files inside, without it feeling tight. There are hanging pockets in the main compartment which are ideal for pens, PDA, camera, etc. There is also a key clip there which would be better suited to be under the flap. The strap has a really cool quick-adjust mechanism and a comfortable sticky non-skid pad. It hangs nicely off the shoulder fully loaded, but tips over when I stand it up. There is a cell phone pouch in the front (if you are right handed), but no integrated iPod compartment. There are twin handles which are leather-wrapped and comfortable. Cost was about $270.

Both bags have zippered pockets in the flap (the "Boarding pass" pocket) and a magazine pocket on the back. Both were shipped promptly and arrived without apparent defects. Both appear to be well-constructed and should stand up to every-day use. Customer service at Waterfield was very friendly and personal.

In the end, I decided to keep the Waterfield and return the Booq. Both are great and I've no doubt I would have been fine with either. The Waterfield had a couple of major advantages: More space, cooler look, and just fit my stuff better. The Booq is significantly sturdier, and less expensive, with better internal organization. I think that the Waterfield fits my needs better -- if I traveled more, rode the subway, or was rough on my bags, I would have definitely chosen the Booq. For daily use, commuting in my car, with or without the powerbook, the Waterfield felt more comfortable for me.

Hope you find this helpful.
( Last edited by Shadowfax; Feb 15, 2006 at 02:14 PM. )
Sometimes I wish I had a knob to turn up the intelligence of the Internet. I have one on my monitor marked brightness, but that doesn't seem to work very well, does it?

achie25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowfax
Okay, I read the whole thread, did a lot of research, bought two bags and did a careful side-by-side comparo, so I thought I would go ahead and add my $0.02:

The mission: I am an ER doc and need a bag to go to and from work with. I carry a fair amount of gadgets -- PDA, cell phone, camera, a variety of small reference books and medical gadgets (reflex hammers, stethoscopes, etc). I bring my 15" PB to and fro sometimes, and often a pile of papers/journals. I travel occasionally, and always bring my PB on the road with me.

The Booq:
Initial impression was very nice. I love the lined ipod pockets with the headphone cord pass-through. The strap comes off the bag at an angle, so the bag hangs a little closer to vertical off the hip -- a nice touch. The shoulder strap is standard style, reasonably comfortable. The laptop compartment is large and well-padded, and the included Vyper laptop case is probably superflous for everyday use. The flap closes with very satisfying magnetic clasps and is quite secure. There are a lot of internal pockets -- three or four under the flap, and a large internal compartment with another seven pouches and a large mesh compartment which looks perfect for cables and other tangle-prone items. The pouches are well thought out -- some have a semi-stiff upper lip to hold it open as you reach in, others close nicely with a velcro flap. There is a key clip on the inside. Although the bag is quite large, the amount of internal space is a little disappointing. Unless you use the laptop compartment for your papers/files, there is no good space for these items. The laptop compartment is huge, though -- with a laptop in its Vyper case, you can still fit a one-inch file in there fairliy easily. With all my gadgets in the internal pockets, the front compartment of the bag felt pretty tight upon closing. The look is professional, with the black ballistic nylon overall with touches of chrome and a couple of bright orange highlights. The single handle is comfortable and sturdy, and the fully loaded pack, though quite heavy, hangs without discomfort on my shoulder, and stands upright on the floor without tipping. It comes with a cell phone case and an iPod case which I presume one might mount on the strap. Cost was just over $200 with the pbzone discount.

The Waterfield:
I really like the look of the one I ordered. I got the gray leather flap with the paragliding buckle. Very cool, and looks professional but not boring. The leather is soft and high-quality. The laptop sleeve is neoprene and feels good to put on/take off. It's less rigid than the Vyper and probably a little less protective but will protect well against incidental bumps and minor impacts just fine. There is a large pouch under the flap which has only a single hanging pocket. The pouch is big enough to hold a lot of files/magazines, etc, though since I stuffed it with doo-dads, I really couldn't put papers in there. The included removable gearbag is great for power cables, etc, and fits in nicely in the pouch under the flap. There are a couple of largish pockets under the flap which are nice for paperback books. The main compartment is unpadded, so if you bring your laptop you definitely need the sleeve. Since it is unpadded, there is a lot more room than in the Booq, despite similar external dimensions. With the laptop and its sleeve I was able to put about three inches worth of files inside, without it feeling tight. There are hanging pockets in the main compartment which are ideal for pens, PDA, camera, etc. There is also a key clip there which would be better suited to be under the flap. The strap has a really cool quick-adjust mechanism and a comfortable sticky non-skid pad. It hangs nicely off the shoulder fully loaded, but tips over when I stand it up. There is a cell phone pouch in the front (if you are right handed), but no integrated iPod compartment. There are twin handles which are leather-wrapped and comfortable. Cost was about $270.

Both bags have zippered pockets in the flap (the "Boarding pass" pocket) and a magazine pocket on the back. Both were shipped promptly and arrived without apparent defects. Both appear to be well-constructed and should stand up to every-day use. Customer service at Waterfield was very friendly and personal.

In the end, I decided to keep the Waterfield and return the Booq. Both are great and I've no doubt I would have been fine with either. The Waterfield had a couple of major advantages: More space, cooler look, and just fit my stuff better. The Booq is significantly sturdier, and less expensive, with better internal organization. I think that the Waterfield fits my needs better -- if I traveled more, rode the subway, or was rough on my bags, I would have definitely chosen the Booq. For daily use, commuting in my car, with or without the powerbook, the Waterfield felt more comfortable for me.

Hope you find this helpful.

Thank you for the very thorough review. I have been looking at both of these bags and I was leaning towards the Waterfield. u helped me definitely make that decision easier. One question did you get the large or mediumm cargo bag?

Shadowfax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by achie25
Thank you for the very thorough review. I have been looking at both of these bags and I was leaning towards the Waterfield. u helped me definitely make that decision easier. One question did you get the large or mediumm cargo bag?
Medium cargo bag fits the 15" perfectly.

SF
Sometimes I wish I had a knob to turn up the intelligence of the Internet. I have one on my monitor marked brightness, but that doesn't seem to work very well, does it?

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 08:55 PM

Anyone used the STM Medium Loft bag? I just purchased it on a whim, but was wondering if anyone else has used it.

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 12:36 PM

Sounds like Waterfield is the way to go Considering what I see in retail stores around, those prices are pretty reasonable!

So here's my question, for my upcoming MacBook, the RacerX, or the Cargo? I don't really need a lot of space, but I would definitly like some space to put some folders or things I may need to carry back and forth to work. Or if I travel somewhere, I may need some extra goodie places.

Does anyone have any experiences on these two? Plus I don't want a huge bag, which the Cargo doesn't sound really all that large at 15x12x3" .

Opinions thoughts?

Shadowfax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by terigox
Sounds like Waterfield is the way to go Considering what I see in retail stores around, those prices are pretty reasonable!

So here's my question, for my upcoming MacBook, the RacerX, or the Cargo? I don't really need a lot of space, but I would definitly like some space to put some folders or things I may need to carry back and forth to work. Or if I travel somewhere, I may need some extra goodie places.

Does anyone have any experiences on these two? Plus I don't want a huge bag, which the Cargo doesn't sound really all that large at 15x12x3" .

Opinions thoughts?
The Cargo is great -- not too bulky and great internal capacity. I love mine and heartily recommend it.

SF

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 02:21 PM

is it's size a pretty accurate at 16x12x3"? I think I have a bag now thats more like 16x14x6", or even more, I've been looking for something a bit thinner.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2006, 02:47 PM

Tucano Elements sleeve + RadTech slip cover and shammy = Perfect combo. Throw that sucker into my Jansport, no one would guess I have a laptop.

The problem I have with laptop bags and cases is that, in my area anyway, it screams "steal me."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 07:30 PM

http://www.stmbags.com.au/mediumloft

I just got the STM Medium Loft Bag and Im loving it, it's vertical which I like much more. It fits my Powerbook g4 Perfectly, and it's not too bulky so its not a pain when you're not carrying your laptop around and just carrying books. Now Im just waiting on my foofbag for extra protection.

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 10:09 PM

Anyone have any ideas where I might find an aluminum hard case that will accomodate a 15.4 MacBook Pro along with it's power supply and perhaps an iPod?

iJoy Chair & Video iPod 60GB
MacBook Pro 1.83

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 09:02 PM

I've used so many different bags and sleeves for my Powerbooks, and I finally came across one that I freakin' love!!! I totally recommend it to everyone!! It's a "SUMO"!! It has the perfect amount of protection, my 12" PB fits PERFECTLY, there are no zippers to worry about, I picked black, but it comes in a ton of different colors, and it looks awesome!!
http://www.sumocases.com/home.php

( Last edited by JaNeDoe; Feb 24, 2006 at 09:11 PM. )
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

mikochu
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 09:51 PM

The director of my major has the red sumo case. It's decent. I personally have the plain jane Incase sleeve (black..wih green accents). I put it in a III Parcel Messenger bag...
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 12:16 AM

It's all about personal preference, I've used Booq's PowerSleeve, Timbuk2's sleeve, the MacCase sleeve, and the Crumpler School Hymn. So far the Sumo is the only one I would recommend!
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 06:38 AM

I have a new product that will allow mac users to change and modify the sometimes boring aluminium rear display casing as often as they'd like. It is definitely not easy to pull apart the display and do a good job at airbrushing on the original casing so I've created lightweight plastic shells that fits the PB aluminium 15' snuggly and I will airbrush them with colours and designs. Alternatively you can do them yourself. The clear shells are good to go now if protection is what you are after, you can even stick your own pictures on the underside of the shell.

I am wondering, what sort of designs would appeal to all of you? Any suggestions and design submissions are most welcomed, please do email me and you can visit my page at: www.celestinecollins.com

MacNslash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 02:43 PM

ali-son, I kinda stumbled on this and you may want to check it out for your needs. Sounded like something you may be interested in.
http://www.swissarmy.com/TravelGear/...product=39971&

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by MacNslash
ali-son, I kinda stumbled on this and you may want to check it out for your needs. Sounded like something you may be interested in.
http://www.swissarmy.com/TravelGear/...product=39971&
Fcuk ya, I love Swiss $hit. I love Swiss cheese, knives(duh), everything, Swiss women.

Thansk dude But God that thing is expensive!

This Maloo sleeve has a VERY cool design, a bit steep in price though
( Last edited by n8236; Mar 1, 2006 at 03:28 AM. )

Chase265
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 03:18 PM

I'll add my 2 cents here.....

I'm using the a Targus messenger bag for my 15" PB...this one specifically

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...p?sku=TSM015US

I like it because it comes with a removable sleeve, and it's able to hold my wires, mouse and chill pad pretty nicely...and it looks nice in my opinion, it has nice orange suede lining

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2006, 03:28 PM

I picked up the Incase neoprene (sp?) sleeve for my new MacBook Pro. I got the one that was previously sold for the 15" PowerBook. It is a little bit of a snug fit, but it works.

Now I'm looking for a new bag. My current one is fine over all, but I'm really looking for something slimmer and elegant.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

MacFairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 02:30 PM

I've just ordered my MBP and was wondering what would the best cae/bag to get for it. I like the crumpler hymn 15" but will this fit the MBP 15.4"? Any advise would be great!

zidion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 12:14 PM

Hey guys. Im looking for a packpack for school and my 17" powerbook. Ive narrowed it down to a couple right now and wanted to get some opinions on them.

First up is the booq python xl . I have a powersleeve right now so im familiar with booq and really like their stuff. The only thing that bothers me is the price. Its $270

Next up is the axio hybrid . I really like this bag also, especially since its only $130, but not sure exactly how big it is in person. I dotn want it to look like im carrying my whole house around

Lastly is the brain bag . This bag looks really great, and ive read tons of reviews. Its only $140, but with the cost of extras (monolith, slip, snake charmer) it comes out to be about $240. Its cheaper then the booq system still, but almost $110 more than the axio one.

So which one would fit my needs more? I pretty much carry around my 17" powerbook, ipod, bunch of wires, calculator, books, notebook, some software cds, and some other odds and ends.

thanks
-Z

Mr49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lattimer
Everyday it seems someone is asking for links to bags to fit their new 12/15/17 Powerbook. I thought it would be a good idea to dedicate a thread to listing all links/comments/reviews of bags and such right here. I've semi-compiled a list based on the first search page I did on this forum for *bag*. Everyone chime in with your additions! Here we go:

Waterfield Designs - cases/sleeves
Booq - cases/sleeves
Tom Bihn - everything
Kensington - everything
Brenthaven - cases
Marware - cases/sleeves
Incase - everything
ACME MADE - cases/sleeves
MacCase - everything
Dr. Bott - everything
Crumpler Bags - messenger bags
Timbuk2 - messenger bags
Chrome Bags - messenger bags
Shinza - cases/sleeves
Kata - everything
Spire USA - backpacks/sleeves
Boblbee - backpacks
Tumi - everything
R&R Cases - hard cases
ZERO HALLIBURTON - hard cases

Lots o' bags:

eBags
BagsForMe
Bagreview
Macro Luggage

Update #1:

Bailey Works - messenger bags
Ortlieb USA - everything
RadTech - sleeves/accessories
Shaun Jackson Design - bags/sleeves
Targus - everything
Willow Design - everything

Update #2:

Pelican Case - hard cases
Tenba - cases/bags
Victorinox by Swiss Army - everything
You can't forget Ogio. http://www.ogio.com

iomatic
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 02:38 PM

Though my experience is only limited to their PowerSleeves, I really like the way booq designs their equipment; it's tough and well-designed (not just good-looking).

May I suggest an alternative? Get a PowerSleeve (rather than a Waterfield sleeve), since it's got hard padding, and drop it in a nice, roomy North Face, Gregory, Arc'Tery'x, or other mountaineer-level daypack; grab a Nalgene or Camelbak hydration sack, and you have water for a day. I love this setup. I'm not a student anymore, but still use this setup to travel, with kids, and for business (sometimes). It offers a lot of flexibility, and you can change configurations for those times you don't want to carry a laptop.

Somehow, the Python would just look silly with 'biners clipped on them. I also have a roomy Timbuk2 and an Acme sleevecase (with hard sides—very important I've found— I've dinged a 12" PowerBook once in a Waterfield sleeve) for a slightly more 'professional' look, and more space. Personally, I prefer backpacks for the sake of my spine.

US$.02 Non-refundable

Originally Posted by zidion

First up is the booq python xl . I …

Next up is the axio hybrid . I really like this bag also, …

Lastly is the brain bag . …
-Z

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2006, 12:54 AM

Does anyone know of any rolling laptop bags that are good and can hold a lot of supplemental stuff like documents arnd books? i currently have a targus backpack but my back is starting to go bad from years nd years of carrying heavy things on it despite being a weak femail......anyway, any particular brand recs to keep in mind for my future Macbook pro?
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules