Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac is up on Apple Site!!

New iMac is up on Apple Site!! (Page 2)
TiDual
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html

Look at the last paragraph.

-t
Yes .. I promptly found that after submitting my comment. Still difficult to judge how it will be in practice: they mention the dbs at idle, but in my experience even just web browsing can cause fans to ramp up (on my Alu book for example) ... and we don't know what it sound like then.

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by as2:
www.apple.com/imac

Looks lovely!!
Ha ha! Look at this image from the UK HE store: new iMac

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 07:13 AM

I like it, while it doesn't match the elegant design of the original FP iMac, it is still a revoluntionary design in its own right. I know understand why they had heat issues. That baby is packed tight.

Mike

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:14 AM

I have just ordered mine, delivery in 3-4 weeks, it's a BTO from the UK Apple Store.

20" 1.8Ghz, 1GB, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth.

Just for info, it is costing me about the same as the 15" iMac I bought 2 years ago.

Ian
( Last edited by Parky; Aug 31, 2004 at 07:19 AM. )
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:19 AM

*stretch* Good morning folks. What'd I miss overnight?

Oh yeah...the iMac G5. IMHO it looks pretty nifty. I was one of the people hoping for an inexpensive "headless" model that I could hook up to the TV and watch movies and shows off of but for $1299 the base iMac G5/1.6 looks like a pretty nice machine. For now I'll continue watching stuff off of my PowerBook, though.

Just a few items for thought:

* It looks like it'll be easy to work on for RAM and hard drive upgrades...that's very nice.

* The integrated power supply is cool, too. One less brick.

* How quiet will it really be? (The design page linked above suggests it'll be acceptable)

Again...I'm tempted but I'll pass for now.

EDIT: It looks like a vertical mini-XServe with an integrated display.

Voch

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
I have just ordered mine, delivery in 3-4 weeks, it's a BTO from the UK Apple Store.
What pushed it into BTO the airport, BT, both? Hopefully you won't have the wait that the 2.5GHz PM's are having. From hearing reports apple has been shifting shipments of 1.8 from PM to the iMac so you may get it in a few weeks.

If I didn't get a PM this June, I'd probably get one of these puppies

Good Luck

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:24 AM

It does eem like good value :-

iMac 20" - �1349
20" Cinema Display - �999
Difference - �350

i.e. the G5 computer, SuperDrive, Keyboard, Mouse, etc costs - �350!!

Quite a bargain.

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
What pushed it into BTO the airport, BT, both? Hopefully you won't have the wait that the 2.5GHz PM's are having. From hearing reports apple has been shifting shipments of 1.8 from PM to the iMac so you may get it in a few weeks.

If I didn't get a PM this June, I'd probably get one of these puppies

Good Luck
I guessed it was a BTO.
I just checked and a base 20" with no customisation is showing the same 3-4 weeks, so it may be a model they have built up ready for shipment.
I just hope they have the delivery dates sorted and we don't get 'sorry' emails in 4 weeks time.

Ian

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:28 AM

While I don't like the "whole" design, I like the display itself - without the foot I can imagine some nice iMac integrations on the wall, in racks etc. (the ports are in the way though)

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

esXXI
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by glideslope:
It's horrible. IMO they are trying for the "Plasma TV" look. Still no upgrade path without a tower. Too bad. I was expecting more.
Consumer machine. Consumers don't give a fudge about if they can upgrade the HDD, or swap the GPU. They want something they can take out of the box, plug in - the end. That's the whole aim of an All-in-One design. If you want upgradability then go buy one of the Pro Macs.

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
Fugly. Too much white plastic on bezel. I too was hoping for a cube imac.
Fugly compared to what? Dells?

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Wow! What a big bunch of whiners! How loud is it? (Read the specs). It's ugly! (It's a display!). What's next? It's too thick? It's too white?

Seriously, what did you expect? This must be the pizza box mac the spies were reporting.

My question is what about the RAM? It comes with 256MB in ONE dimm slot. Is this G5 crippled so much that only one DIMM slot is required for ram. No dual channel memory? Sure it has another for expansion (thank God!), but even the 1.6GHz G5 PM had 4 slots. How fast will this iMac be compared to the same speed PowerMac?

However, the price is right. For $300 less than the 20" iMac G4 you can get a 20" iMac G5. That's sweet! Apple will sell a ton in the first few months. Hopefully G5 availability will not cripple production schedules.

I think I want one...
Hehe exactly. Can't wait to order mine.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 07:44 AM

I love the new design. Yes, the basic form factor has been done before, but not as elegantly. This is just what Apple needs to increase iMac sales. Plus the G5 will make it a much easier sale.

If you bought a first generation iMac G4 at 800mhz, there was no reason to upgrade to a new one unless you wanted the bigger LCD. 1.25ghz wasn't enough of a reason on its own. But a 1.8ghz G5 in less deskspace will be very attractive to many of the original purchasers. This is how Apple will get people to trade in their first generation iMac G4s for a new computer.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2004, 07:52 AM

Am I missing something, why does it NOT have any Firewire 800 ports?? That is pretty stupid if you ask me.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:53 AM

HOLY FSCK!!! That looks HORRIBLE!!! I was saving money to maybe get an iMac G5 but I swear to god, I won't ever let that ugly piece of hardware into my apartment!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2004, 08:00 AM

20" 1.8Ghz, 1GB, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth.

Just for info, it is costing me about the same as the 15" iMac I bought 2 years ago.

Ian
I noticed this. The mid range 17" model is about what I paid for my imacG3 DV+ 4 years ago or so. Amazing really.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:
Am I missing something, why does it NOT have any Firewire 800 ports?? That is pretty stupid if you ask me.
I'm confused. Surely the inclusion of firewire 400 on the original imacs really helped get firewire going, so with firewire 800 only on the G5 towers and two of the powerbooks there doesn't seem to be much of a push towards it, not what I'd expect from Apple

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
I love the new design. Yes, the basic form factor has been done before, but not as elegantly.
What is so elegent about it? I've seen TVs that are more elegant than the new iMac. It's some white plastic, there's nothing elegant about that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 08:08 AM

20" for $1899 --- fscking sweet.
cables out the back ? ... time to get a firewire/usb combo hub (it'll be ugly)
upgradeability --- while still lacking, it does allow easy access to all the guts. No more warranty-voiding just to switch out a hard drive or non user accessible ram slot, YAY !!

Also, note the slower speed of the optical drives (due to their vertical orientation, I'm sure)

[usual drivel]
I like it ... but I'll be waiting for Rev B. Is it too early to start the Rev B speculation thread ??
[/usual drivel]

Zoom
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:20 AM

I had a hard time sleeping last night - like a kid before Christmas. Except I was only expecting one gift, and it would be from Aunt Bertha who had a habit of sometimes getting me age-inappropriate presents...

I was a huge proponent of the headless iMac, begging for a pizza box. I still want that, and for all the same reasons. I want a mi-to-low end Mac that I can upgrade without a display attached. But as we all pretty well figured out, Steve wasn't likely to give us one.

So, that disappointment aside, let's look at this new thing. I personally love the design (assuming you're okay with the AIO concept). Sleek, simple, elegant, and very small. My only problem with this is that it's basically a laptop on a stand without a built-in keyboard. Why not just get a 'Book?

That was my argument, at least - now I have the answer: price. These prices are good, much lower than I expected from Apple. I figured the top end model would be $2200 or so, which is close to a 17" PowerBook. But $1900 is good. Figure the display would cost you $1300 alone... that's a good deal.

Obviously, they cut some corners to make that happen: slower bus speed, fewer RAM slots, no FW800, and of course, one CPU. But those are all perfect trade-offs for the consumer market (notice I didn't say prosumer). I think this will sell well.

I think it also has some interesting opportunities given that it's all in a 2-inch "vertical AIO pizza box" with a VESA mount. You could mount this on a wall, especially with a BT mouse and keyboard. You could actually pick it up and take it somewhere, to the living room or even to your friend's house. You couldn't do that with any other iMac.

My concern (still) is that Apple has nothing for the prosumer - namely, a headless, somewhat-upgradeable "minitower" (or whatever Apple would dream up) in the $900-$1500 range. That's what I want. So, now I'm stuck between an iMac that's not quite up to my target tech specs but a good price, or a PowerMac that is way beyond my tech spec requirements but too expensive. Specifically, I can either get this...
iMac G5

20-inch widescreen LCD
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
600MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive

TOTAL: $1899
or this...

PowerMac G5 1.8 + 20in LCD

Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
900MHz frontside bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem
PLUS: 20in LCD display ($1300 alone)

TOTAL: $3298
That's quite literally what I'm looking at, except that if I get the PM, I'll upgrade the hard drive. That's a $1400 difference. That's a HUGE gap, and Apple needs a product line to fill that space.

The other option is to get the PM and buy a non-Apple display for half the cost (or at least 2/3 the cost). It wouldn't be a widescreen display, but it would be a lot cheaper.
( Last edited by Zoom; Aug 31, 2004 at 08:27 AM. )

Zoom
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
I like it ... but I'll be waiting for Rev B. Is it too early to start the Rev B speculation thread ??
Nope, not in these forums.

Just please start a new thread for that one.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:

[imac specs]
or...
[powermac specs]
There is a large difference. Another processor (on a faster bus), and a higher RAM ceiling. The power mac also has upgradeable slots. I'm sticking with my G5 on order, mainly because I already bought a 20" LCD to go along with it (Dell 2001FP, great monitor btw), and I want the 6800 Ultra. Can't get that on an iMac.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:38 AM

Have a look at the Expo photos in another thread!!

The iMac looks great, much better that the pics on the Apple site.

It's shiny like the front of an iPod, glossy and sleek.
They always look better in context.

Ian

Big Fat Octopus
Aug 31, 2004, 08:41 AM

I think the G5 iMac is very well executed but it lacks several things that make my G4 iMac STILL stand out as a superior design....

1. The screen is not height adjustable! I push the screen up when I use the G4 iMac and my Wife pulls it down. The arm design on the G4 feature is an absolute ergonomic master stroke! Why did they even consider doing away with it?

2. It doesn't pan left or right! I think we'll see some interesting 3rd party bases come out to correct this but the G4 iMac got this right as well.

I think the pressure to innovate is ultimately a good thing and Apple obviously thought the G5 iMac should be a freesh design but geez Apple, stick to a good thing when you're onto it and stop trying to hit a home run with every model revision. I can think of a dozen different ways to metamorphos a G4 iMac into a G5 iMac without loosing the basic functionality of the moveable arm!

Ultimately I feel this is a bit of a let down as I was looking forward to upgrading to a G5 iMac. However, I just don't like the look of it (neither does the Wife) and would prefer to pick up a 20" G4 at run out pricing instead. Maybe I'll be swayed when I see one in person, maybe not?

AIO design of the iMac is fine and I like the rear panel access to upgrade the hard drive and memory. Much easier than the G4 model. Those are the only redeeming features of the design that I can see so far from an practicality standpoint over the G4 model.

It would be VERY interesting if the arm/foot thing on the G5 could be removed! 3rd party developers might come to my rescue with a better tilt and swivel arm.

sigh
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN

I will buy when it comes in Sapphire Blue. (I don't like the eMac look)

Yet, it weighs about the same as some Dell notebooks. (18 pounds)

Gee4orce
Professional Poster

It does eem like good value :-

iMac 20" - �1349
20" Cinema Display - �999
Difference - �350

i.e. the G5 computer, SuperDrive, Keyboard, Mouse, etc costs - �350!!

Quite a bargain.

Ian
In that case, why can't they sell the �350 bit separately ?!

It's highly likely that the 20" monitor isn't the same as the stand alone one. That said, I notice that is has a larger viewing angle than the 17", so it's clearly better quality.

Personally, I think the 17" 1.8GHz is looking like a sweet deal.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by discstickers:
There is a large difference. Another processor (on a faster bus), and a higher RAM ceiling. The power mac also has upgradeable slots. I'm sticking with my G5 on order, mainly because I already bought a 20" LCD to go along with it (Dell 2001FP, great monitor btw), and I want the 6800 Ultra. Can't get that on an iMac.
Yes, you're actually making my point. I understand why the price gap is so big, I'm saying that there should be something else in that gap... say a pizza box with a single CPU (up to 2.5GHz), upgradeable GPU, more RAM slots, 1-2 PCI slots, and space for a second HD.

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:46 AM

It's interesting to note that they have put the Apple Logo on the front and iMac in large letters on the rear.

I wonder what made this change in design occur?

Ian

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:
Because that's a pro option, these are consumer machines. Take a peek at the iBooks, no firewire 800. If you want or need firewire 800 move up to a PM.

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Because that's a pro option, these are consumer machines. Take a peek at the iBooks, no firewire 800. If you want or need firewire 800 move up to a PM.
Correct - It's called a 'Product differentiator'.

Ian

Big Fat Octopus
Aug 31, 2004, 08:50 AM

Ok, I spoke too soon......

"Modern Art Installation
The iMac offers the smallest footprint ever, but you can make that zero with an optional VESA mount. Hang it from the wall or swing it around on your desk"

...I will be able to rip off that goofy foot thing and weld on a big bendy snake arm that I can clamp onto any surface. Still would have been easier to just buy it with one already attached though :-(
- iPhone 3GS

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 08:52 AM

I just got back from my first day at the Expo and I can say that the iMac looks WAY better in person than on the website. In fact I was fairly surprised at how poor the photos look. They are so heavily worked over that it looks like a graphic representation of it rather than the real thing.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:54 AM

Not very impressed with the specifications, the design is okay for the most part. Sony has made PC's like this for years. I do like the fact that they have lowered the price, the only things stopping me from buying one, lack of dual monitor support (come on apple, the ibook and eMac can do it) the video card and lack of FW 800. Sigh, guess I'll have to wait until the revision B comes out to see if my concerns are addressed.
On the bright side it shouldn't be a whole lot longer for the PB G5 to come along with the advancements made in the iMac.

mbryda
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
If you bought a first generation iMac G4 at 800mhz, there was no reason to upgrade to a new one unless you wanted the bigger LCD. 1.25ghz wasn't enough of a reason on its own. But a 1.8ghz G5 in less deskspace will be very attractive to many of the original purchasers. This is how Apple will get people to trade in their first generation iMac G4s for a new computer.
No, some of Gen 1 iMac owners think this new design is FUGLY. I'll probably trade in my gen 1 iMac on a Powerbook now - this thing is absolutely hideous.

Big Fat Octopus
Aug 31, 2004, 09:00 AM

Hmmmm, how many of these things are going to get busted screens with people knocking them over while trying to plug a firewire up it's butt?!?!?!?!?

I'll shut up now and just reserve my final appraisal for a personal encounter with one.
- iPhone 3GS

yongfook
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 09:07 AM

lovely. This is the perfect computer for my mum & dad.
http://www.yongfook.com

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by WOPR:
I can't believe that design - it's HORRIBLE! Imagine it with cables hanging from the sockets on the back...
I like the fact that it's the most portable iMac yet. As for the cables, I think the mistake they made was to place all the ports off-center to the side. They should have placed the ports in a tight cluster in the center in the back where the power cord is. I'm guessing that most people will opt for a wireless keyboard...

It would be very cool if you could feed the LCD an external video signal and bypass the Mac innards altogether. It would be like getting an LCD monitor and Mac in one package.

-S

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 09:11 AM

If anyone has seen them in person, where is the sleep light and the microphone?

Ian

Adrian2043
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by as2:
I want to know the UK prices... anyone got any idea?
Not that this helps you but Aust retail for 17" SD appears to have dropped A$700. Was thinking about emac SD, as imac 17" was double the retail. G5 OZ retail is A$2500
Don't ask me,I only work here

macdaemon
Aug 31, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by WOPR:
I can't believe that design - it's HORRIBLE! Imagine it with cables hanging from the sockets on the back...

Thick bezel round screen looks naff, far too much of the white bit below the screen, white and aluminium in this contecxt looks dreadful.

I'm shocked, it's much worse than I expected.

BRING BACK THE CUBE!!
You guys are freaks!!! It's really nice and compact design I have ever seen!!!
I don't think you'll have too much wires now, it will looks perfectly with Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, you forgot that this is for consumer customers, they don't have much wires, and most of them use one button mouse, so it's perfect system for home and office use.
--
PowerBook G4 15" 1.25Ghz 2Gb RAM 60Gb 7200rpm HD+Ext'l FireWire 80Gb HD SD
SE P900

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 09:34 AM

Looking at the design, I can see where some of the cost savings and therefore reduced prices have come from.

They will be easier and quicker to build due to the flat design and ease of access in the back. Compared to the nightmare multi-layer construction of the G4 iMac, the G5 looks a breeze.

The support arm I suspect is also a cheaper item than the articulated and complex G4 model, in both materials and build time.

There are less moldings in the G5, just 2, instead of the 4 required for the G4 (counting the metal base) and of course no external speakers just the innards.

In the long run repair costs will also be less as they will be able to make internal repairs much faster than the complicated G4 with it's heat pipe and thermal paste issues.

There are some extra costs of course, like the G5, more fans, etc, but the build time savings must be significant.

I'm sure these cost savings played a major role in the current design.

Ian

PS I wonder if there is 'free space' in the 20" model, after all they have lots more area back there compared to the 17". You have to wonder why the 20" is thicker as they had more space, the screen must take the extra depth.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 09:45 AM

I like it and the best thing about it is that it THAT expensive!!!!
iamwhor3hay

neverwind
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 09:47 AM

Correct - It's called a 'Product differentiator'.

Ian
Yeah but not including Gigabit ethernet is bordering on ridiculous... It means that even these iMac will be the slowest things on your network... (unless you airport extreme it)...

Really, even Ti books had gigabit ethernet...(that was 5 years ago).

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 09:47 AM

It will be interesting to see if some enterprising soul actually finds it possible to replace the video card. The stock card in there seems like a waste of the 8x AGP bus.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 466 MHz G4 tower, but this latest iMac doesn't really do it for me. I'm pro-minitower, and I find it ridiculous that two out of three of Apple's desktop models are all-in-one designs. For the price point, I'd rather get a laptop or even a refurb G4 tower.

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by neverwind:
Yeah but not including Gigabit ethernet is bordering on ridiculous... It means that even these iMac will be the slowest things on your network... (unless you airport extreme it)...

I can't see many consumers being bothered about not have Gigabit Ethernet.
I still think most buyers will not even use the Ethernet provided now.
Many people still use dial-up.
Those who have broadband via USB or Ethernet would not see any speed increase with Gigabit, the only advantage is for large transfers of data from one machine to another.

How many home users actually need that? Why add more cost for something that 99% of iMac owners don't need.

Ian

NemesisEG
Aug 31, 2004, 09:55 AM

I think one of the main problems is explaining to the Mrs why we need one as I've only just got a PB15.

/formulates plan.

As for the design, it's a bit of a shame to lose the arm of the G4 FP. It was a marvel to use; genius engineering by Ive and Co. Then again, look at the footprint. It's nothing now. Nice, simple, elegant and all the cables out the way to the rear.

Also, get a load of that price. For the mid-range G5 it's a decent deal.

I think I need to see it in person to make a final decision. Always see it in person before ordering.

owl_luvr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by TiDual:
I find the looks pretty nice ... but was never a huge fan of the current (now previous) model: the dome just seemed a bit too inelegant (the display was nice though). This solves that problem, reducing the footprint incredibly. I also have the new 23" cinema, and love the looks (elegant, clean lines, without being "odd" ... so if the new imac has a similar presence, it should look v. good in person). I agree it looks a little Sony-esque, but more like what Sony would like to do, rather than what they ever achieve: cleaner styling, and better build quality.

Wires out the back is a bit of a problem ... I will definite get the "wireless package" (a good deal at only $100 extra including built-in BT module, KB + mouse). I also think lack of FW800 is a bit of a pain. And I expect people will moan about the graphics ... doesn't seem very powerful, but I'm not a gamer, so don't care.
I'm not quite awake yet, so I'll ask: Where's the 'wireless package' for $100 that you mention?

Edit: Oops...n/m...found it. I plead insufficient sleep & caffeine.

C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 09:56 AM

Why oh Why did they limit the VGA output to 1024x768????

If they had allowed the output to a clean 1280x720 then this would an awesome Home Theatre Mac....

Anyone know if the output limits can be changed????

atlcane
Aug 31, 2004, 09:57 AM

I love it but am going to wait on getting one until it has a 128 MB graphics card. Hopefully we will see that next summer.

neverwind
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 09:57 AM

I can't see many consumers being bothered about not have Gigabit Ethernet.
I still think most buyers will not even use the Ethernet provided now.
Many people still use dial-up.
Those who have broadband via USB or Ethernet would not see any speed increase with Gigabit, the only advantage is for large transfers of data from one machine to another.

How many home users actually need that? Why add more cost for something that 99% of iMac owners don't need.

Ian
You're joking right? I'm an educator - do the math and see how much longer it will take to copy all the files around to every computer for the next video editing class?

Like I said, Ti books had it 5 years ago, and I can get past it not being on the last gen iMacs... but on these?
Not when it cost them less than a few bucks an iMac to make them Gigabit...

solbo
Aug 31, 2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by neverwind:

Uh... you do know that 100Mbps(ethernet) is way faster than 54Mbps(802.11g)?

neverwind
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by solbo:
Uh... you do know that 100Mbps(ethernet) is way faster than 54Mbps(802.11g)?
LOL you get me there...

But I as a consumer DO NOTICE the difference between 100Mbps(ethernet) and Gigabit ethernet... and yes it matters enough to put me off my purchase (and for my school) for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules