Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ? (Page 12)
chrisford
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 08:36 AM

Apologies for the thread high-jack - if it's out of place, please say, and I'll edit-and-remove.

Seeing as some of you lucky people are getting a free 9600xt: if any of you are in the UK (or feeling like helping a poor UK resident from the US!) and want to sell your extra 9600 when your fancy new nvidia arrives, please feel free to get in touch.

I have the rev B dual 2 gig with a little geforce 5200 card in it. I think I'm getting graphic card envy...

c

konakazi
Aug 25, 2004, 09:16 AM

Hey Kathy!

I ordered June 22nd so it makes sense (in a logical world at least) that mine would ship before yours.

Mine was also pushed back at least three times and the last two dates I heard were September 4th and September 17th so I was pleased to see it shipped a bit early.

I doubt it had any influence but I happened to have emailed MacConnection because my order was turning up "invalid" when I attempted to check the order status.

They sent an email apologizing for the repeated delays, and then the next day the order went through!

I also just received the DHL/Airborne Express tracking and it seems as though they upgraded me to one day shipping! Very nice indeed.

I'm leaving on vacation with my girlfriend on Monday so I was afraid that I would miss the delivery after all this patient waiting!

Good luck, yours should be shipping soon too hopefully.

scottnichol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 06:24 AM

i just got the shipment notification from apple late last night that my 2.5 has shipped! certainly, i'm really excited. hope it gets here before friday, if not the fedex depot is going to find me there very early saturday morning! this order was placed through ADC on June 30. when i spoke to ADC reps last week they assured me that it should ship this week and if i didn't see something by wednesday, i should call back. so, i guess their estimates are getting closer to reality now. hopefully for the rest of you as well. good luck!

anyway, the specs on this machine are probably worth noting since it a CTO:

Dual G5/2.5 GHz
160GB
512MB
ATI 9800XT
AirPort Extreme Card
scott nichol
mac:method - simply powerful software for mac os x
http://www.macmethod.com

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 10:39 AM

They finally updated my order. But now the ship date is 9/7 for the G5 and 10/29 for the 6800

edit: updated to 9/3 and 9/17
( Last edited by discstickers; Aug 26, 2004 at 05:31 PM. )
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 05:51 PM

OK, I give up. I was going to hold out for the 6800 to ship installed, but Apple just pushed my 6800 ship date back to being delivered in November. Uh, no thanks. I'm getting them shipped separate. I don't imagine that APple is pulling a fast one and trying to get people to get their order shipped sooner than later, are they? I mean, doesn't the financial quarter end in September? I trust Apple as far as I can throw Phil Schiller.
http://www.moveonplease.org/

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 07:03 PM

Little sidenote here.

Hi-res dual G5 2.5 water cool photos

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 08:52 PM

Great pics blakespot. Did you actually remove the Liquid Cooling System Module / Processor card yourself? You're awfully brave or a very experienced techie.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 09:56 PM

yeah, those are really good pics blakespot...perhaps the best we've seen of the insides of these things. i've had mine for 4 days now and lovin' it....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
Little sidenote here.

Hi-res dual G5 2.5 water cool photos

blakespot
I really like the cooling system vs a cube pic! That cooling system is huge!

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Great pics blakespot. Did you actually remove the Liquid Cooling System Module / Processor card yourself? You're awfully brave or a very experienced techie.
Not my pics - someone pointed them out on IRC (DALnet's #macintosh chan).

blakespot

Mac_Jedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 04:16 PM

Just checked my order, it is listed as "shipped" and slated for a saturday(tomorrow) delivery to Long Island.

My order date was 6/22 my latest est was 8/30
-Jedi

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 04:45 PM

Not my pics - someone pointed them out on IRC (DALnet's #macintosh chan).
blakespot
Boy, those hose clamps look scary! I wonder if the timing belt needs to be changed at 90k?
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 01:34 AM

My ship date was 9/03 yesterday. I talked to an Apple rep on the phone and he said it was about to ship out. My last ship date before that was 9/30 but I agreed to have my 6800 ship separately because it was going to ship 10/31. TONIGHT, though, I check the status and they moved BOTH the ship date of the Power Mac AND the 6800 to 9/17!!!! That ROTS!!! For several reasons:

1. The reason I agreed to ship them separate was because I was assured on the phone that it would ship out 9/03. I agreed and then they change the very next day. The very next day!!

2. Why in God's green earth would I agree to have them shipped SEPARATELY if they are going to SHIP ON THE SAME DAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!!?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That makes no sense what so EVER!! If they are actually going to SHIP the SAME day...THEN GO AHEAD AND INSTALL THE FREAKING CARD, YOU TOTAL IDIOTS!

All along I was prepared for changing dates, but I wasn't prepared to be told to contact them for special handling arrangements and for them to then renege on it the very next day. Honestly, this has been the very worst purchasing experience of any high priced item I have ever purchased in my life -- not just computers. I've purchased jewelry, cars, houses, vacations, and had all kinds of custom design stuff done. Nothing beats the crappiness due to inadequate handling and poor communication than this Apple person. It leads me to ask, "Is there any person at Apple's international operations who knows what in blazes they are doing with my order?? Is there ANYONE -- from Steve Jobs on down -- who can give me ANY idea WHAT is going to ship WHEN??" How can I make a rational decision for if I want my PMG5 to ship with or without the 6800 when the shipping estimates change DAILY (hourly?) for each?? I can't. This is totally FUBAR -- Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition -- as a ordering and delivery system. This is a 5000 dollar order! Half of 10,000 dollars! I used to sell fine jewelry and believe me when I tell you that we had systems in place to accurately estimate the shipping date of custom orders that even came from Israel and Europe. OK, so Apple has little control over knowing about the 6800 (I don't entirely believe that but say I give them that much). So why did they change my agreed upon ship date from 9/03 of the Power Mac only to 9/17?? I am so angry right now because their dang office is closed and I can't vent with Customer Service. I don't know what is right in all moral circumstances, but this is not treating the customer right. This is crap.

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 01:25 AM

OK, here's the final deal:

First ship date was 8/13/04 but that didn't happen. Then it moved in this order:

8/13 --> 8/30 --> 9/30 --> 10/30 --> 9/03 --> 9/17

The 9/17 date greatly infuriated me because I had just been assured that it would ship 9/03. I called Apple Customer Service and thankfully was able to calmly but firmly talk to them about it. He agreed that the order system has been totally out of whack and that many people have been upset about it. He said he had no explanation for why my ship date moved from 9/03 to 9/17...because, he said, my PMG5 was going to ship TODAY! That was quite a shocker, but I've learned that ship dates mean nothing. Sure enough, my PMG5 shipped today, proving that the dates are worthless since mine was still showing 9/17. This has been the worst roller coaster ride, and I think it is a horrible, horrible system. However I do have to note that Apple shipped mine ONE day before the 2nd earliest estimate I had, and that's not too bad a time frame. What is awful is being told on the phone it would ship 9/03 and then seeing 9/17 posted less than 24 hours later. The fact that mine shipped 8/28 while saying 9/17 shows how twisted all of this is.

Well, at least I am happy that things are moving along.

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 11:24 AM

W000t, my g5 shipped yesterday 8/28. My order date was 7/15. I got 2gig ram, ethernet card, 250gb hard drive, final cut express, and a ati 9600xt.

Tracking number isn't available yet though.

redrockdes
Aug 30, 2004, 07:58 PM

I ordered my 2.5DPG5 CTO on 6/26, have had delivery pushed back twice. The current Order Status page still says "on or before 8/30" but there has been no e-mail notice about the order today. So, I called Apple and was told that my Mac doesn't show up anywhere in the pipeline. I was told to I'd probably wait another 12 days or so, but there's nothing official about this -- not that having an "official" notice means anything in this process!

This was ordered with the ATI Rad9800 XT.

Any advice on who to call about this? The support guy I spoke with said he just doesn't know anything more and can't speculate about the status of the order.

redrockdes
Aug 30, 2004, 09:37 PM

Oh well...just got an e-mail saying I am now pushed back to Sept. 7 (the third delay notice).

This experience will make me think very long and hard before making another major purchase from Apple -- sad to say this after using Macs for 14 years and bragging about them to my PC-owning friends. I am too entrenched in Mac software and running a business built upon them to make any sudden changes, but I will never feel the same way about Apple, who plays too fast and loose with "commitment dates". It's an indication to me that they either have little regard for integrity and customer satisfaction AND/OR their global supply chain management and manufacturing processes are broken!

bob_hearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 09:59 PM

Same here - supposed to ship today, bumped, for the third time, to 9/7. I must admit that I am a bit surprised to have it bumped three times; I think that's a record for my Apple orders. But it might not stand long...

artdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 01:25 PM

I got this info from my ClubMac rep this morning concerning my order in June.

"We have 100 g5 2.5ghz's coming in tomorrow"

kcourt
Aug 31, 2004, 04:12 PM

I just received great news - MacConnection has just sent out my new G5 and it should arrive tomorrow morning. So finally the resellers are getting in their 2.5's......

Now, I have to make sure I have everything set up that I want to transfer.

Will keep everyone posted.

Kathy

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2004, 08:12 PM

Just got this from Apple:

Dear Apple Developer,

Thank you for ordering the Power Mac G5 with NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card. Unfortunately, we cannot meet the ship date previously estimated to you due to an unexpected delay.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we�d like to get your order to you as quickly as possible. _In order to do so, we will configure and ship your G5 with an ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB SDRAM card by September 17th so that you can begin to enjoy your new PowerMac. _Additionally, we will send an NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics Card Stand-Alone Kit by September 24th. _There will be no additional cost to you.

If this solution is acceptable to you, no further action is necessary.

If you plan to use your new system with an Apple 30� Cinema HD Display that only works with the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card or you would like your system to ship with the NVidia card installed, please reply to [email protected] or call call 800-793-9378, extension 46471, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Central time so that we can process your order accordingly. __Please rest assured that we fulfill all orders in the order they are received.

Sincerely,
The Apple Developer Connection

To check the status of your order, visit <http://www.apple.com/orderstatus>.
Kinda sucks that I have to wait longer, but I am happy Apple sent this to me BEFORE friday, which was the day it was supposed to ship by.

redrockdes
Sep 1, 2004, 06:15 PM

Received an e-mail notice this morning that my 6/26 order finally shipped. Hopefully all the rest of the people here who are still waiting will get theirs very soon also!

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 03:37 PM

Well, my g5 is set to arrive on tuesday. It's shipping from anaheim (sp) california by ground across the nation to me here in buffalo, ny. So, of course I have been sitting here in my dorm in horror of the fed ex truck making a sharp turn, quick stop or dropping my baby

I got lucky having it ship early. I doub tI will get lucky enough to have a perfect g5 on tuesday...

kloda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 03:54 PM

limpbizkit69dz,

When did your originally order your system? What configuration is it? In other words, are you one of those who originally ordered a 6800 video card?

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 07:55 PM

No actually I got lucky.

I ordered 7/14 - 2gig ram; 250gb hd; ethernet card; final cut express; and the 9600xt

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 08:32 PM

I just got a call from the Apple Store... a woman, she apologized and said their will be further delays, now from Sep 3 to Sep 14... still with the cheap graphics board too!

I bitched and the offered me free .mac. That will do for now, but so help me, there better be no further delays!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 11:40 AM

So my dual G5 with Radeon 9600XT (Apple swapping that in for GeForce 6800 that will be sent later) is set to ship "on or before 09/03"...today. I called Apple and the woman said that indeed that date stands on my order and that from what she sees she would imagine it will ship out today. It's still "Open."

We'll see what happens. Anyone want to make some bets?

blakespot

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2004, 01:35 PM

So my dual G5 with Radeon 9600XT (Apple swapping that in for GeForce 6800 that will be sent later) is set to ship "on or before 09/03"...today. I called Apple and the woman said that indeed that date stands on my order and that from what she sees she would imagine it will ship out today. It's still "Open."

blakespot
Mine is set to ship today as well (2.5, 500x2, 5x12x4, 9800xt, bluetooth)... when I called they said 'as far as they know' it'll happen. Guess we'll see.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 03:07 PM

blakespot
Well...here it is now maybe 4 hours after I posted the above message and I see just retrieved a phone message from Apple that was left within the past 30 mins. Apparently "this product is on delay" and it will now ship "on or before the 14th". Great.

I heard someone earlier who they slid to 09/13 - I guess at least he's got me by a day. But will they ship on the 14th? I must say I have doubts.

blakespot

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 03:07 PM

My 2.0 is supposed to ship today too. Apparently, it's been acknowledged to manufacturing but doesn't have a pick up yet.

Meaning it could be another 5 days
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 05:04 PM

My G5 DP2.5 finally shipped. Received the shipping notice last night. Hopefully I'll see it next week.
MacBook Pro

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Mine is set to ship today as well (2.5, 500x2, 5x12x4, 9800xt, bluetooth)... when I called they said 'as far as they know' it'll happen. Guess we'll see.
Sneaky bastards called while I was out to cheerily tell me that my ship date has been pushed to the 14th and they're prepared to knock $100 off the price. One more delay and I'll be cancelling my order on principal. With the 30" Cinema delays, 6800 delays, 2.5 G5 delays and (I predict) iMac G5 delays, this summer is undoubtedly the stupidest on record for Apple, by far.

johnnydr87
Sep 3, 2004, 07:19 PM

hey guys, i've been out of this thread for a while (in the thick of school)...but i'm wondering, has anybody's nvidia 6800 shipped out yet?

I went with a $1350 HP w/ a 3.0 ghz multithreading processor, 128 MB vid card, 200 GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM, kick ass speakers, DVD RW drive, CD RW drive, FM tuner, a remote, so many cool little things (clearly i'm still p.o.ed about the whole mac thing). I also got a $450 17" monitor with a 12 ms response time a 550:1 contrast ratio (eat it). ($1800 altogether)

On a brighter note, i got a kickass 20 GB ipod w/ a voice recorder. it's pretty nice.

i'm using the saved money for other shiz

but i still want a mac...
( Last edited by johnnydr87; Sep 3, 2004 at 07:50 PM. )
I'M GETTING MY G5 MONDAY..... I CAN FEEL IT...OK I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT, BUT I CAN DREAM CAN'T I?

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by johnnydr87:
hey guys, i've been out of this thread for a while (in the thick of school)...but i'm wondering, has anybody's nvidia 6800 shipped out yet?

I went with a $1350 HP w/ a 3.0 ghz multithreading processor, 200 GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM, kick ass speakers, DVD RW drive, CD RW drive, FM tuner, a remote, so many cool little things (clearly i'm still p.o.ed about the whole mac thing). I also got a $450 17" monitor with a 12 ms response time a 550:1 contrast ratio (eat it). ($1800 altogether)

On a brighter note, i got a kickass 20 GB ipod w/ a voice recorder. it's pretty nice.

i'm using the saved money for other shiz

but i still want a mac...
Yeah, I've tried the maxed out PC therapy before to avoid dropping $6500+ on a Mac... didn't work for me either! Damn windoz.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Sneaky bastards called while I was out to cheerily tell me that my ship date has been pushed to the 14th and they're prepared to knock $100 off the price. One more delay and I'll be cancelling my order on principal. With the 30" Cinema delays, 6800 delays, 2.5 G5 delays and (I predict) iMac G5 delays, this summer is undoubtedly the stupidest on record for Apple, by far.
They told you they'd give you $100 off? I got no such indication in the message, but I called and complained about yet another delay and at that point the woman knocked $100 off. So I had to work for it.

blakespot

kcourt
Sep 3, 2004, 11:46 PM

Well, I have had my new G5 for three days now and I am still setting it up - I never realized how much software I had, and so many documents, etc. that I had to transfer from my old G4. I transferred via the firewire and it only took about ten minutes. However, To find some of these documents I had to search.

This machine is so quiet - the only time that I hear anything from the fans is when I am installing new software.

I have been using Safari and Mail and they seem to be great - I still have a copy of IE in case I cannot get into certain sites, but so far, no problem.

One thing I have donne three times is run disk utility and repair permissions - it cleared up some really strange problems.

The wait was worth it - I am loving this machine.

Kathy

hollywd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 12:35 AM

I agree about the quietness of the machine... the fans don't come on often, and when they do it's usually not for long.

One thing surprised me though... the noise I hear most is the 'clicking' noise the hard drive makes when it's reading something. I have a dual 1.8 at work and I don't notice the hard drive noises so much.

Is is just because the machine is so quiet, that it makes the hard drive seem loud? Or is my hard drive noisier than normal?

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by kcourt:
Well, I have had my new G5 for three days now and I am still setting it up - I never realized how much software I had, and so many documents, etc. that I had to transfer from my old G4. I transferred via the firewire and it only took about ten minutes. However, To find some of these documents I had to search.

This machine is so quiet - the only time that I hear anything from the fans is when I am installing new software.

I have been using Safari and Mail and they seem to be great - I still have a copy of IE in case I cannot get into certain sites, but so far, no problem.

One thing I have donne three times is run disk utility and repair permissions - it cleared up some really strange problems.

The wait was worth it - I am loving this machine.

Kathy
Kathy (and all), I just received my machine today! Unpacking and physically setting up was the hardest part for me due to my health. That sucker is heavy. After I got things physically arranged I let the auto-transfer software do the rest. I was impressed with how it found everything I needed, and I was really impressed that I was able to deselect a user whose account I did not want to bring over. Very slick. I had 20 GB of stuff to transfer and I think it took something like 1.5 hours. But, after all was done everything on my new G5 was just as I had it on my iMac -- login startup items were the same, email, docs, desktop, disc images, etc. The only thing that oddly didn't make it was the icon for iDVD, but that took 1 second to rectify.

I'm still in awe of the speed. I'm shocked at how much faster my usual routine is. My playing with all the G5s at the Apple Store, though, seemed to show me that in most things that I do there is not much difference at all between a dual 1.8 and a dual 2.5. I think all the G5s are plenty fast. I bet the new iMac G5 1.8 will be a stout machine and will be plenty fast for iLife and other key things. The biggest adjustment with my new machine is going to be THINKING like a dual processor owner instead of a single G4 owner, meaning that when I started to crank up Warcraft 3 that my habit has been to shut down all other apps, so I had to catch myself doing that and consequently I played an awesome game with several programs running. This is with the 9600 and I had graphics on 1680 x 1050 x32, and I had everything set to High or On. Boy was that a change! The 9600 did very well.

The only thing giving me pause is that there are a variety of noises (fans/cooling) that come on at different times and sound different from each other. During Wc3 the fans came on quite a lot, but they would shut down pretty quickly too when things got cooled off. It was louder than I liked, though. Couple of things about that:

1. I have it raised up on the desk and not the floor.
2. It seemed as though the video card fan made more noise than the other fans. Not intolerable, but not quiet either.
3. I don't have any speakers hooked up yet and so the tiny tower speaker was probably not a good match for the fans. When I get speakers hooked up this might change.

Kathy, are you a gamer so that you could comment on how loud (or not) your machine is when stressed in 3D?

Oh, and the box arrived in excellent shape from shipping. Hardly a scratch on it. I think choosing Ground was a good idea, but I wish they had used UPS Ground instead of FedEx Ground.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by discstickers:
My 2.0 is supposed to ship today too. Apparently, it's been acknowledged to manufacturing but doesn't have a pick up yet.

Meaning it could be another 5 days
I called and complained. They upgraded me to overnite shipping on the computer and the 6800.

edit: my new ship date is 9/14. The 6800 is still 9/17.
( Last edited by discstickers; Sep 4, 2004 at 12:48 PM. )

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2004, 12:00 PM

Hmm...

I just got, from Apple (e-mail), what appears to be an invoice for a charge to my credit-card for the $57 overnight shipping on the as-yet-unshipped G5. Could this be a sign that it's about to go out the door? Recently my "on or before estimate" was slid from 9/3 to 9/14.

FYI.

blakespot

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2004, 10:25 PM

They told you they'd give you $100 off? I got no such indication in the message, but I called and complained about yet another delay and at that point the woman knocked $100 off. So I had to work for it.

blakespot
I got a $100 discount with the last delay but I had to ask for it. I had to wait 10 - 15 minutes while the woman on the phone asked someone else and then she asked said that she wanted to make sure that I was thinking of cancelling to which I sheepishly said yes since I didn't really want to cancel, I just thought I deserved something because of the delays.
MacBook Pro

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 11:33 PM

Hmm...

I just got, from Apple (e-mail), what appears to be an invoice for a charge to my credit-card for the $57 overnight shipping on the as-yet-unshipped G5. Could this be a sign that it's about to go out the door? Recently my "on or before estimate" was slid from 9/3 to 9/14.

FYI.

blakespot
They had the balls to charge you for overnight shipping? Cheap ass feckers. After over a months worth of delays on my rev.A dual 2 GHz, they upgraded me (and every other poor soul waiting for their dual 2 GHz G5) to free overnight shipping. Alas, I did not get $100 off my order, tho, so I guess you're about $43 ahead of me!

This thread brings back (not so) fond memories of my rev.A order, and reminds me why I didn't bother to order a 30" display and a 6800 when they were announced. Learned my lesson last time! But I do feel sorry for you all, and the poor people who have ordered G5 iMacs. I anticipate a similar thread over in the iMac forum soon.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
They had the balls to charge you for overnight shipping? Cheap ass feckers. After over a months worth of delays on my rev.A dual 2 GHz, they upgraded me (and every other poor soul waiting for their dual 2 GHz G5) to free overnight shipping. Alas, I did not get $100 off my order, tho, so I guess you're about $43 ahead of me!

This thread brings back (not so) fond memories of my rev.A order, and reminds me why I didn't bother to order a 30" display and a 6800 when they were announced. Learned my lesson last time! But I do feel sorry for you all, and the poor people who have ordered G5 iMacs. I anticipate a similar thread over in the iMac forum soon.
According to what a rep told me, all the G5s have been overnite, because they ship from overseas and they have to sit through customs. The overnite shipping is from customs to you, but they give it to you to make up for the variability in importing.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2004, 04:51 PM

FWIW, I specified "overnight FedEx" when I ordered.

blakespot

kcourt
Sep 7, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by qwerty2:

Kathy, are you a gamer so that you could comment on how loud (or not) your machine is when stressed in 3D?

Oh, and the box arrived in excellent shape from shipping. Hardly a scratch on it. I think choosing Ground was a good idea, but I wish they had used UPS Ground instead of FedEx Ground.
I am not a gamer - just a few silly games, and some card games, such as hearts, solitaire.

I do a lot of photo editing and the machine works so well.

Kathy

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by kcourt:
I am not a gamer - just a few silly games, and some card games, such as hearts, solitaire.

I do a lot of photo editing and the machine works so well.

Kathy
Thanks.

jsaulman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 05:03 PM

I ordered my machine 7/30 and it shipped yesterday... so they must be catching up on all the orders now. The estimated ship date was 9/14 and this is beating it by a week...

bob_hearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by jsaulman:
I ordered my machine 7/30 and it shipped yesterday... so they must be catching up on all the orders now. The estimated ship date was 9/14 and this is beating it by a week...
Huh. I ordered 7/10. It's been slipped 3 times, to 9/7... which is today. I'm expecting the email telling me it's been bumped again any minute now.

From Apple:

Please rest assured that we fulfill all orders in the order they are received.
Yeah, right.

bob_hearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 08:02 PM

Sure enough. Slipped to 9/14. I'm as hard-core pro-Apple as they come - I've been programming Apple computers for 27 years, much of it professionally. But Apple seems to be trying as hard as possible here to lose a customer. They slipped my ship date FOUR TIMES??!!

DickLieber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by bob_hearn:
Sure enough. Slipped to 9/14. I'm as hard-core pro-Apple as they come - I've been programming Apple computers for 27 years, much of it professionally. But Apple seems to be trying as hard as possible here to lose a customer. They slipped my ship date FOUR TIMES??!!
You're doing better then me, my date only change twice from 8/2 to 9/3 then to 9/14. Slipping four times in only two months must be Apple's way of saying "they care"

Wednesday it will by one quarter of a year since I placed the order! (order 6/9). Oops, that's 6/9/2004; looks like the year will become significant!

I wonder if they'll get the 2.5's shipped before the 3.0's come out?

Forum Links
Forum Rules