Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2ghz (rev A) or (rev B) ?

2ghz (rev A) or (rev B) ?
jcru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 01:58 PM

I have a chance to get a special Education discount on a Rev A machine. So the choice is...

- 2ghz Rev A for $1999

- 2ghz Rev B for $2299

$300 savings....what do you think?

thanks.
( Last edited by jcru; Sep 5, 2004 at 03:03 PM. )

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by jcru:
I have a chance to get a Education discount on a Rev A machine. So the choice is...

- 2ghz Rev A for $1999

- 2ghz Rev B for $2299

$300 savings....what do you think?

thanks.
The later Rev A's are exactly the same as the Rev B's, so go with the first one

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2004, 02:14 PM

I dont know specifically about the differences but I thought I'd post my experience with the rev A. It is an exceptional machine with 2 gotchas.

One, the Power Supply. The PS fans (at the very bottom and front of the machine) are total POSes. The first few PS revisions' fans had bad bearings in them that would make this silent machine start warbling. It's a low oscillating sound, reminescent of a jet plane's engines being out of sync. I called applecare several times and they finally replaced it.

Two, early batches of ATI video cards have a 'I like to not provide video output when I boot up'. Both of these can be easily remedied by calls to Apple within your support window.

jcru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 02:28 PM

cool, thanks for your feedback. I'm thinking about going with the Rev A. Who can resist saving $$$ on a new Apple G5 plus Educational Discount.

bradleykavin
Sep 5, 2004, 02:35 PM

rev b has 970fx processor which conserves power better..and it has the 8x superdrive instead of 4x...id go for rev b
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by bradleykavin:
rev b has 970fx processor which conserves power better..and it has the 8x superdrive instead of 4x...id go for rev b
The later Rev A's (after April I think) has 8X Superdrives. The 970fx are no faster than the 970's - definitely not worth 300$

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2004, 04:36 PM

Didn't the rev a's coming with 9600s?
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

FauxCaster
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
The later Rev A's (after April I think) has 8X Superdrives. The 970fx are no faster than the 970's - definitely not worth 300$
You're right! I have a late April rev A, I just checked and I have an 8x superdrive. I got an upgrade and didn't even know it.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2004, 10:07 PM

The Rev A. has the ATI card, so I'd opt for that. The 970 vs. 970fx shouldn't have any bearings. The rev a. runs at 2.0 GHz as does the rev b.

The dollar difference is enough to justify the Rev a.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules