Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ? (Page 13)
blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 12:11 AM

I just got a shipment notification e-mail from Apple!!

It looks like my dual 2.5 G5 that I ordered on 6/9 and modified to include GeForce 6800 on 6/29 shipped today, with Radeon 9600XT as temporary vidcard while waiting for 6800 avail.

Should get here tomorrow w/ my overnite shipping.

FYI!

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 01:09 AM

To my total astonishment, after Apple has said it would take til Sep 14 to ship my machine, it showed up on my door today... only thing missing was the 6800... that is yet to come!

Great... I'm now disconnecting the G4 and hooking up the G5... can't wait!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 03:33 AM

I don't want to divert from the shipping topic except that I mused earlier in this thread that my 2.5 might be too loud. So as not to discourage those of you waiting in any way I just want to clear up that I don't think that it is anymore. I went over to a friend's house with the dual 2.0 and Radeon 9800 Pro and his machine seemed no quieter than my 2.5 with 9600. I guess I am just very used to the very quiet and very pleasant iMac G4. The constant noise of the PMG5 -- though quiet relatively speaking -- grates on my nerves kind of like when I've been on an airplane too long. I don't mean to associate the PMG5 with the noise of a plane at all, but just the aspect of the constant noise that is in the background. When I put the PMG5 to sleep my ears at once seemed to be blessed by the most wonderful sound of near silence.
http://www.moveonplease.org/

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 02:02 PM

Well... FedEx tracking showed the package leaving California yesterday at 3:22pm. It's "Priority Overnight" shipping. Yet I just saw that at 9am PDT it left California on a plane! I called FedEx to see how they will be delivering it to me on the East coast today and found it's delayed 1 day.

So 2-day shipping on a Priority Overnight package. Great.

blakespot

jes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 03:16 PM

Blakespot,
Same situation here. It was supposed to be here in wisconsin by 10:30 and its now 2:00 and sitting in tennessee. At least ours have been shipped! Its still frustrating though, like the waiting just wont end. I'm actually looking forward to using maya and motion as well as playing games with the 9600XT and then getting a big kick in the ass when the 6800 shows up. It will be interesting to see some mac benchmarks for the new card.
jes

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 03:28 PM

My 2.0 finally shipped. Should have happened yesterday, but apparently FedEx won't ship something of that value to my campus' mailroom. Due to the contract, they can't leave it at the FedEx distribution center either. So I had to give them another address. Ended up having to get it to my house, which is five hours away, and I'll meet my parents halfway.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2004, 03:33 PM

Thought I'd jump in here real quick with a question I'm sure someone in this thread can answer:

Does the current BTO 9800 XT have an ADC port on it? Thanks!

innerimager
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 06:59 PM

My story- Ordered the 2.5 from Education store on 7/15. All stock except 1 gig Ram. Had a ship by of 9/3, which became 10/27 (!?!) . Called the Long Island NY Apple Store today. They had a stock 2.5. Cancelled the original and picked that sucker up in a heartbeat!! ;>) They say they are getting one at a time with quick turn around as they sell each one. Might be worth a look if you are in the NY area. (They are in Huntington).

I won't be firing it up till Friday when I get it to my photo studio. I'll get back with my impressions. ....Peter

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by jes:
Blakespot,
Same situation here. It was supposed to be here in wisconsin by 10:30 and its now 2:00 and sitting in tennessee. At least ours have been shipped! Its still frustrating though, like the waiting just wont end. I'm actually looking forward to using maya and motion as well as playing games with the 9600XT and then getting a big kick in the ass when the 6800 shows up. It will be interesting to see some mac benchmarks for the new card.
jes
Yeah, the 6800 is going to be needed... the 9600XT sucked on Halo!! It was all but un playable at higher res..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Turias
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 11:07 AM

So I got a letter from my bank, yesterday, asking me to authorize a large purchase from Apple computer. It was for my 6800-equipped G5 (I ordered it at the beginning of August, so I wasn't given the option to get it shipped early without the 6800).

I authorized it, but haven't yet been charged, and my orderstatus page still says "on or before 9/22".

Does Apple tend to try and authorize credit card payments well before the machines are ready to ship?
( Last edited by Turias; Sep 9, 2004 at 11:14 AM. )

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2004, 12:44 PM

...close

.......closer

...........it's here!!

3 months to the day.

blakespot

DickLieber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
...close

.......closer

...........it's here!!

3 months to the day.

blakespot
Well my three months today was signified by only one thing: The order is now so old it is no longer is visible on the Apple Store Order Status page, cause it only covers order placed in the last 90 days!

Boy was I surprised when I checked status this morning and found it gone!

DickLieber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 02:44 PM

I just checked over at http://discussions.info.apple.com, they blew away the huge embarrassing DP2.5 shipping thread!

Turias
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by DickLieber:
I just checked over at http://discussions.info.apple.com, they blew away the huge embarrassing DP2.5 shipping thread!
This one?

Or was there another one?

DickLieber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
This one?

Or was there another one?
That was the one.

Perhaps it was just a glitch. It was gone a while ago. Another user (and I) commented about it being missing. (though those messages a now gone.)

chingas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by DickLieber:
That was the one.

Perhaps it was just a glitch. It was gone a while ago. Another user (and I) commented about it being missing. (though those messages a now gone.)
That might have been me....
I had two posts relating to the missing thread. Both were deleted.
They sent me an email explaining that my "censoring" post was deleted. So I know the missing thread was not a glitch-just moderators performing PR.

I do notice that they have since placed the "shipping" thread back on the board.

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Turias:

Does Apple tend to try and authorize credit card payments well before the machines are ready to ship?

Yes. They authorized mine long before it shipped, but they didn't actually post charges until it shipped. Apple likes to pre-authorize it so that there is little trouble for most of the orders when they are ready to ship.

chingas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 09:47 PM

I just read a post at the Apple boards. Some guy recieved his stock G5 in just six days!
Six days!

jsaulman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 10:39 AM

After waiting 5 weeks (apologies to those of you at 3 months) I got my G5 yesterday. I did have a problem with the upgrade assistant which turned out to be my goof... I had 5 internal drives in my G4 and I had mis-configured the startup drive as a slave and another as the master. The computer still booted fine, but the assistant didn't work. Turns out when I made the right one the master it worked... I guess the firewire target disk mode must only go for the primary drive... anyhow... having fun. This thing sure is fast!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 10:47 AM

...close

.......closer

...........it's here!!

3 months to the day.

blakespot

Great feeling! The best part about mine was I got the email that it shipped two days after it just showed up at my door. So you can imagine my surprise when I answered the door and there was my G5... two weeks before Apple said it would get here (rev. 3).

Anyway... except for some sleep / wake issues it seems to work great!
Apple user since 1981

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2004, 07:27 PM

Mine finally arrived. But I have to wait until tomorrow to even see it; it's on the other end of the state. Stupid FedEx.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by discstickers:
Mine finally arrived. But I have to wait until tomorrow to even see it; it's on the other end of the state. Stupid FedEx.
Apple user since 1981

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Oh man. First FedEx wouldn't deliver to my campus' mail room. Then Apple said their contract wouldn't allow them to hold it at the FedEx distribution center.

So I had to have it shipped home, 300 miles away. Then the "overnite" shipping turned into 2 day because the driver didn't get his deliveries done, and decided to say an attempt was made but no one was home. Of course, Apple won't compensate me for that, because I didn't pay for the overnite upgrade.

Le sigh.

Then again, I'm leaving in a few to pick it up

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 10:15 AM

Oh man. First FedEx wouldn't deliver to my campus' mail room. Then Apple said their contract wouldn't allow them to hold it at the FedEx distribution center.

So I had to have it shipped home, 300 miles away. Then the "overnite" shipping turned into 2 day because the driver didn't get his deliveries done, and decided to say an attempt was made but no one was home. Of course, Apple won't compensate me for that, because I didn't pay for the overnite upgrade.

Le sigh.

Then again, I'm leaving in a few to pick it up
Well trust me.. it's worth the wait! I love this rig!
Apple user since 1981

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Thought I'd jump in here real quick with a question I'm sure someone in this thread can answer:

Does the current BTO 9800 XT have an ADC port on it? Thanks!
Yes it has both ADC and DVI. Probably the last of the powerful cards to have ADC.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Well trust me.. it's worth the wait! I love this rig!
I'll say. Just got everything hooked up. The Setup Assistant was pretty nice, and quick too.

There don't seem to be any problems. I'm kinda bummed that the 9600 has an ADC port. I guess I'll have to wait until my 6800 arrives to hook up my LCD and my CRT.

Next on the list: more RAM. 512 just isn't enough.

edit: Should there be a clear plastic piece around my arrow keys? There's a white plastic piece between the delete/end/page down keys and the arrow keys but no clear part...
( Last edited by discstickers; Sep 11, 2004 at 05:43 PM. )

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 05:41 PM

duplicate post

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 09:47 PM

I'll say. Just got everything hooked up. The Setup Assistant was pretty nice, and quick too.

There don't seem to be any problems. I'm kinda bummed that the 9600 has an ADC port. I guess I'll have to wait until my 6800 arrives to hook up my LCD and my CRT.

Next on the list: more RAM. 512 just isn't enough.

edit: Should there be a clear plastic piece around my arrow keys? There's a white plastic piece between the delete/end/page down keys and the arrow keys but no clear part...
If you have the blue tooth keyboard, you will have just a valley there... the design seems incomplete to me, but for $50, I guess you cant bitch too much... there was a time back in the day, when I needed to replace my IBM PC keyboard (you remember, the clicky one)... for $249, and that was in 1983 dollars!!! .... but then that same machine had a hefty 512K of RAM.... yup, that's right... K... not MB like the base G5.
( Last edited by UnixMac; Sep 11, 2004 at 10:03 PM. )
Apple user since 1981

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 10:27 PM

I'm thinking that since a lot of our orders got split up into two shipping parts, should we have a separate "What's Your Est. Ship for 6800" thread? A lot of us would be just as interested in that. My estimate, for instance, is still 9/17/04 and Apple says that should be a good shipping date. There is lots of talk of Apple switching to X800, so it would be interesting to see if/when these 6800s ship. What do you folks think -- should we start another thread like this one?

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by qwerty2:
I'm thinking that since a lot of our orders got split up into two shipping parts, should we have a separate "What's Your Est. Ship for 6800" thread? A lot of us would be just as interested in that. My estimate, for instance, is still 9/17/04 and Apple says that should be a good shipping date. There is lots of talk of Apple switching to X800, so it would be interesting to see if/when these 6800s ship. What do you folks think -- should we start another thread like this one?
I think everyone that took Apple's offer to split the orders has a 9/17 date. The only variation would be those that ordered the kit separately. That said, I'll eat my hat if it ships on the 17th. Not that'd I'd want an x800, it isn't as good at OpenGL as the 6800 is.

Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2004, 11:12 PM

I ordered a dual 2.5 with the 6800 around august 10th after my order originally placed june 20th got cancelled because of a lost credit card. Anyway, my ship date has always been 9/22 and they haven't ever offered to send it earlier with a different card

just thought that might help with 6800 ship date estimates. does ANYONE have one yet?

gabe

PurdueRPh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 11:24 PM

I ordered a dual 2.5 GHz with 6800 video card on August 17th. My Est. Ship date has been 9-22-04. I not yet received any offer to ship earlier with a different card.

By the looks of things, I bet I won't see this machine until Late-October. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so. What does everybody else think?

Hoosier by birth, Purdue Graduate and Mac lover by the Grace of God.

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by PurdueRPh:
I ordered a dual 2.5 GHz with 6800 video card on August 17th. My Est. Ship date has been 9-22-04. I not yet received any offer to ship earlier with a different card.

By the looks of things, I bet I won't see this machine until Late-October. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so. What does everybody else think?

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 03:34 PM

I think everyone that took Apple's offer to split the orders has a 9/17 date. The only variation would be those that ordered the kit separately. That said, I'll eat my hat if it ships on the 17th. Not that'd I'd want an x800, it isn't as good at OpenGL as the 6800 is.
Well, I guess we'll be finding out in 4 days or less. I still have a little hope that it will ship because some people at Apple's customer service seemed to actually believe that it was a real ship date. Emphasis on the "little."

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by qwerty2:
Well, I guess we'll be finding out in 4 days or less. I still have a little hope that it will ship because some people at Apple's customer service seemed to actually believe that it was a real ship date. Emphasis on the "little."
I find it upsetting that Apple doesn't give its reps more info. I'm actually hoping it doesn't ship too soon. I don't have the money to pay for it.

SkepticalOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 10:51 PM

My ship date was scheduled for 9/15 (just two days away) and I got an email today delaying it a month!!!
I have a the Dual 2.5 with the 6800 video card on order. I was not given an option for a different video card or anything.
So now my order from 8/3/04 has been delayed until 10/15.
For people who got the different video card as a substitute, did you call and complain? Or did Apple just offer the bridge solution?

Skep

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 11:02 PM

Heh. My dual 2.5GHz/2GB RAM/2x 250GB HD/Bluetooth/9800XT OOB date is 9/13 (ordered 7/22, K-12 edu. institution order)... guess they have another hour to ship it! grrrr...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 07:28 AM

...close

.......closer

...........it's here!!

3 months to the day.

blakespot
I will say it's worth the wait! Even with the somewhat modest Radeon 9600XT (as I await the GF 6800 Ultra), In UT2K3 with all settings at max running at 1280x800 I get 3x the framerate of my old dual G4 800 w/ GeForce 4Ti, medium settings, at 800x600.

Safari launches in 1/2 a "bounce" on the G5 while it took 4 full "bounces" on the dual G4.

Bliss. :-)

blakespot

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by JustinD:
Heh. My dual 2.5GHz/2GB RAM/2x 250GB HD/Bluetooth/9800XT OOB date is 9/13 (ordered 7/22, K-12 edu. institution order)... guess they have another hour to ship it! grrrr...
Crapass. My new OOB date is 11/3!!!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by JustinD:
Crapass. My new OOB date is 11/3!!!
What??? I have essentially the same configuration, ordered 7/14... it's already skipped from 8/27 to 9/3 and finally 9/14. If Apple doesn't ship it today I'm cancelling my order - I guess we'll see.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
What??? I have essentially the same configuration, ordered 7/14... it's already skipped from 8/27 to 9/3 and finally 9/14. If Apple doesn't ship it today I'm cancelling my order - I guess we'll see.
What order status does it have? still "open"?

OldCodger73
Sep 14, 2004, 12:18 PM

I noticed back when the G5 2.5s were first shipping it seemed people were tracking them every hour on their way from China. Out of curiosity, if you were one of these people or if you know your machine was assembled in China and you still have the box, would it be possible to check the "assembled at label" on the box and report back where/what it says.

I made this same request on the Apple> Support>Discussion>G5>Usage board and must have touched a nerve at Apple Corporate, because the post was TOSed in a matter of minutes.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 12:27 PM

So it's 9/14 and my Order Status page still says 9/20 for a G5 with 6800 and 30" Cinema. When does Apple plan on updating my status?

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
What order status does it have? still "open"?
Still "open".

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 01:01 PM

Still "open".
Well, I have a 2.0 on order with a shipping date on or before 9/21. Although its still open, the applestore lady on the phone was pretty sure it could ship as soon as thursday..

If it gets delayed..

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by OldCodger73:
I noticed back when the G5 2.5s were first shipping it seemed people were tracking them every hour on their way from China. Out of curiosity, if you were one of these people or if you know your machine was assembled in China and you still have the box, would it be possible to check the "assembled at label" on the box and report back where/what it says.

I made this same request on the Apple> Support>Discussion>G5>Usage board and must have touched a nerve at Apple Corporate, because the post was TOSed in a matter of minutes.
I was told my 2.0 was going to be shipping from China, but it actually shipped from CA.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 09:51 PM

I was told my 2.0 was going to be shipping from China, but it actually shipped from CA.
Was it a CTO (or BTO)?

Mine was a CTO order which came from California, but the machine came originally from China (went from China to California). My guess is they ship the CTO PowerMacs from China to California and then add the CTO options.
( Last edited by Leonard; Sep 15, 2004 at 10:24 AM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 08:31 AM

Wierd - it's now 9/15 but my oob date is still 9/14 and no shipment notification or anything.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 08:37 AM

Wierd - it's now 9/15 but my oob date is still 9/14 and no shipment notification or anything.
If its still open, I guess you have to prepare for a wait

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by OldCodger73:
Mine says "Computer assembed in China. Other items as marked thereon.", but there were no other items.
Dual 2.5GHz G5, 2.0GB RAM, 250+300 SATA HDDs and 200+160GB Firewire HDDs, Radeon 9800XT, Bluetooth.

Forum Links
Forum Rules