Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 6800 pushed back

6800 pushed back
discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 08:09 PM

I just got an email stating that they've pushed my 6800 order back to Oct 15. Instead of 9/17 as they promised when I split my order.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 06:21 AM

wow .. you can afford a powermac, a 6800 card .. and assuming ... it's for a 30 inch acd ... smile .. you are ahead of 80 percent of the world population.. probly more ...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
wow .. you can afford a powermac, a 6800 card .. and assuming ... it's for a 30 inch acd ... smile .. you are ahead of 80 percent of the world population.. probly more ...
I spec'ed a GeForce 6800 into my dual G5 2.5 setup (and received a Radeon 9600XT to use until the GeForce gets here ... my ship-by date for vidcard is 10/31 - and I added the 6800 to my order on June 27th!). I'm not using it to drive a 30" Cinema - I want it because it has about twice the performance of the 2nd fastest card, the Raden 9800XT.

It will be driving my dual 20" Cinemas.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 03:17 PM

Damn, rough times.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 05:59 PM

Man that sucks. I want to get a 6800, but I guess I don't really need it until Doom 3 for the Mac begins shipping.

ishan3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Damn, rough times.
Some of us actually need the fastest video card available to do our jobs. I'm waiting also for the 6800 (also pushed back to 10/17) to drive 2 23 inch displays. This card will increase my productivity by 100% and my income by at least 25% (or more if I want to work longer hours). I'm not a gamer.

But you're absolutely right in one sense�I can feed my family and have a roof over my head without having a 6800 card. That's not the point. The point is that the card was supposed to have been available more than two months ago. Apple screwed up-again.
http://forums.macnn.com/newreply.php...ostid=2192065#
Ishan Bhattacharya, MD

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 08:09 PM

This is killin' me! Yah. yah, yah, cry a river for me, I know. I've been planning on buying a 30" hdcd and (of course) a 6800 since they were announced. wait wait wait wait.

Sheesh, Gateway or Dell would do backflips if I went to 'em with 4 grand burning a hole in my pocket. Apple? Sorry, gotta wait. Drives me nuts!

Maybe I can prearrange a purchaser for my 23" display and 9600 whilst I wait.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

discstickers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
I don't have a 30" LCD. I have a 20" Dell one
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 09:54 AM

I was thinking of putting a 6800 on order here in the UK.

I was given an official time of 'the end of October' at the earliest, but unofficially, *much* nearer the end of the year

Not really good enough IMHO.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2004, 11:40 AM

I just bought a BFGTech 6800 GT for my gaming PC. Overclocks to Ultra levels just peachy.

My dual G5 will just have to soldier on with its Radeon 9800 Pro.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 07:51 PM

I read the title as "68000 pushed back" and thought you bought machine to replace your 128K or Portable.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I read the title as "68000 pushed back" and thought you bought machine to replace your 128K or Portable.
With Motorola's ability to get chip updates out, it's a wonder we're still not waiting on the 68000...

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 11:35 AM

Wow - where did you get those posters?!

Originally posted by blakespot:
I spec'ed a GeForce 6800 into my dual G5 2.5 setup (and received a Radeon 9600XT to use until the GeForce gets here ... my ship-by date for vidcard is 10/31 - and I added the 6800 to my order on June 27th!). I'm not using it to drive a 30" Cinema - I want it because it has about twice the performance of the 2nd fastest card, the Raden 9800XT.

It will be driving my dual 20" Cinemas.

blakespot

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by WOPR:
Wow - where did you get those posters?!
eBay mainly, and RedLightRunner.

I've gotten quite a few nice posters for a retro computer room:

The NeXT poster (again)
Picasso Mac Poster
Blue&White G3 Poster
Amiga Dev Con Poster
Amiga Shakespeare Poster (another pic)
Not a poster, but wall-oriented goodness!!

Got room for a few more...

And WOPR, nice nick/sig pic. I was playing "Video Madness" (or is it Video Fever") from the arcade scene in War Games when I was putting up those wall invaders decals. Heh.

blakespot
( Last edited by blakespot; Sep 20, 2004 at 03:29 PM. )
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 10:26 PM

Hey, and nice screenshot of Tim the Enchanter!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
eBay mainly, and RedLightRunner.

I've gotten quite a few nice posters for a retro computer room:

The NeXT poster (again)
Picasso Mac Poster
Blue&White G3 Poster
Amiga Dev Con Poster
Amiga Shakespeare Poster (another pic)
Not a poster, but wall-oriented goodness!!

Got room for a few more...

And WOPR, nice nick/sig pic. I was playing "Video Madness" (or is it Video Fever") from the arcade scene in War Games when I was putting up those wall invaders decals. Heh.

blakespot
I think Missing Bite seems to have better prices than Redlight Runner...

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
heh heh - me too. i wonder how many people know what the hell you're talking about? <grin>

i seriously considered the 30" and the monster card, but have two problems - one is availability and two is no acd support. i've got a perfectly good 22 acd and don't want to toss it to replace it with a 30". would you really be getting that much? i'm a photog and graphic guy, so real estate is a good thing - but $4000 for 8"? Damn.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by danbrew:
<snip>
i'm a photog and graphic guy, so real estate is a good thing - but $4000 for 8"? Damn.
Let's break down this price thang!
20" display: $64.95 per inch and 1358 pixels per $.
23" display: $86.91 per inch and 1153 pixels per $.
30" display: $109.97 per inch and 1242 pixels per $.

If you figure in the $600 video card required for the 30" diaplay, the value figures change substantially.

I still plan on picking up a 30" display and (naturally) a 6800, if they ever materialize, that is.

discstickers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
heh heh - me too. i wonder how many people know what the hell you're talking about? <grin>

i seriously considered the 30" and the monster card, but have two problems - one is availability and two is no acd support. i've got a perfectly good 22 acd and don't want to toss it to replace it with a 30". would you really be getting that much? i'm a photog and graphic guy, so real estate is a good thing - but $4000 for 8"? Damn.
You could also get a $30 ADC -> DVI adatper

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2004, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Let's break down this price thang!
20" display: $64.95 per inch and 1358 pixels per $.
23" display: $86.91 per inch and 1153 pixels per $.
30" display: $109.97 per inch and 1242 pixels per $.

If you figure in the $600 video card required for the 30" diaplay, the value figures change substantially.

I still plan on picking up a 30" display and (naturally) a 6800, if they ever materialize, that is.
yes... but does cost per pixel translate into incremental income? It would be hard to justify that. but then again, cost justification isn't everything. I don't really need a laptop. I really don't need a 20 yr old blonde hottie girlfriend. I really don't need all that other cool stuff. but it's still nice to have, no?

the nice thing about it is that we can blow the cash on it if they'd ship 'em and we have the cash to spare. I'd seriously consider it - but only because it's cool. I'd have a hard time coming up with any real justification other than "because."

Forum Links
Forum Rules