Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Add a hard drive to G5

Add a hard drive to G5
bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2004, 06:46 AM

Hey all

Now i have my D1.8 all set up, i was thinking of putting in a second drive for backing up everything from my 1st.

So, from what i can gather i need a SATA drive? [160 gig]

So, do i get the oem drive or a retail box? am confused as to how easy it will be to attatch into the second slot??

Any help appreciated

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 07:25 AM

The installation procedure for a SATA drive in a G5 is trivial... place the mounting screws, slide the drive in, plug in power and sata and reboot.

My advice would be to buy a 250GB Hitachi drive from Newegg.com for $99 USD + Shipping... almost did that for my DP2.0

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 09:31 AM

250GB Hitachi drive from Newegg.com for $99 USD + Shipping.
link me, i see the same hd for 197 usd
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 08:01 PM

Installation is easy. Way easier than RAM, which is definitely no challenge... and it doesn't have any sort of "scare factor", since you don't have to mess with plugging things directly into the motherboard.

OEM should be fine; all the cables should be there, ready and waiting for your new drive. OS X shouldn't need any fancy drivers or other software.

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 01:11 PM

I got my WD Raptor 74 Gb drive (OEM) from Newegg ($155 after $25 mail in rebate!) last week and went to install it.

Upon opening the case and looking at the drive in bay A, I noticed the screws are different from those used on pc's. Hmmmm. So just to get the new drive in, I took one screw from each side of the existing drive and used them on the drive for bay B.

Knowing this is not an ideal solution, I called my local Apple Store (U Village Seattle). I explained that I was looking for a screw kit for my bay B. The rep said she didn't know of this and asked a peer who suggested I be transferred to Apple Care.

The Apple Care rep spent most of her time trying to convince me to buy the $250 Apple Care plan as my 1 year warranty period expires in November. She then said she would need to research my case and I would need to pay $49 for her time. I said no thanks and she suggested I contact a local Apple store or Mac retailer. I told her I had been transferred by the Apple store.....

I then called the local retailer (www.thecomputerstore.com) and the guy there repeated the, 'I have no clue' theme I got from, so far 3 Apple employees. Note I advised I own a G5...

I then come here and do a search for 'screws' and find mention of the fact Apple provides these screws right inside the case!

Guess my point is that, unless I missed it, Apple doesn't provide a downloadable pdf for installing a second drive which requires these screws, just a replacement scenario where the end user uses the screws from the previous drive in bay A. I give Apple credit for including these but was sorry it seems few people at Apple seem to know about them.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by bmyers2:
I got my WD Raptor 74 Gb drive (OEM) from Newegg ($155 after $25 mail in rebate!) last week and went to install it.

Upon opening the case and looking at the drive in bay A, I noticed the screws are different from those used on pc's. Hmmmm. So just to get the new drive in, I took one screw from each side of the existing drive and used them on the drive for bay B.

Knowing this is not an ideal solution, I called my local Apple Store (U Village Seattle). I explained that I was looking for a screw kit for my bay B. The rep said she didn't know of this and asked a peer who suggested I be transferred to Apple Care.

The Apple Care rep spent most of her time trying to convince me to buy the $250 Apple Care plan as my 1 year warranty period expires in November. She then said she would need to research my case and I would need to pay $49 for her time. I said no thanks and she suggested I contact a local Apple store or Mac retailer. I told her I had been transferred by the Apple store.....

I then called the local retailer (www.thecomputerstore.com) and the guy there repeated the, 'I have no clue' theme I got from, so far 3 Apple employees. Note I advised I own a G5...

I then come here and do a search for 'screws' and find mention of the fact Apple provides these screws right inside the case!

Guess my point is that, unless I missed it, Apple doesn't provide a downloadable pdf for installing a second drive which requires these screws, just a replacement scenario where the end user uses the screws from the previous drive in bay A. I give Apple credit for including these but was sorry it seems few people at Apple seem to know about them.
In the G5 manual (I know because it's on my lap), it says "Unscrew the four drive guides from the left side of the hard drive bay and screw them to the threads at the sides of the hard drive as illustrated above."
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 01:59 PM

I would have humbly and graciously accepted that feedback from any of the 4 people who are supposed to be experts (dare I say geniuses?).

Me, I'm the end user and get to claim ignorance whenever I want - I will always assume more or the same information should be found at Apple's web page... Granted, I only searched for 'screws' under the Power Mac G5 header. My manual is in the box, in the back of the basement....

Good advise still for anyone else in the same situation I was in.

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2004, 06:20 PM

Also see this page:

http://www.wap.org/journal/g5drive/default.html

Trivial it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules