Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 6800 card order as of today is 9/30

6800 card order as of today is 9/30
videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 02:59 PM

just FYI for those buying stock and planning to upgrade later

man that is a long time lol, in the PC world that amount of time would drop the price $100 easy

insane

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 05:31 PM

Bummer.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 10:23 PM

There were 6 on eBay for $660, which is actually cheaper than some of the PC ones are going for.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

VukOnCrack
Aug 18, 2004, 10:51 PM

A lot of Nvidia's chips are actually manufactured by IBM in their Fishkill, NY plant. I don't know what lithography process the new GPU uses, but it could be possible that some of the same industry issues with 90nm is effecting their production as well.

With 220 million transistors on that GPU I wouldn't be surprised if it's 90nm.

PURE speculation here folks.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 19, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by VukOnCrack:
A lot of Nvidia's chips are actually manufactured by IBM in their Fishkill, NY plant. I don't know what lithography process the new GPU uses, but it could be possible that some of the same industry issues with 90nm is affecting their production as well.

With 220 million transistors on that GPU I wouldn't be surprised if it's 90nm.

PURE speculation here folks.
Fixed.

I recall reading somewhere that nVidia and ATi are both fabbing at 110 nm. nVidia got burned earlier during the jump to 130, where ATi decided to play it safer and went with 150. Result: the 9700 got to market months ahead of nVidia's cards. So it looks like they are both playing it safe now, staying a little behind the bleeding edge.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 02:50 AM

What a BITA. Apple claimed that the 6800s would be in supply end of August. Now, par for the course, that gets kicked back a month. Combine this with the claimed schedule for the 30" displays showing up is already weeks before the 6800s, and we have a major screw up. Nice that you can drop over 3 thou on a display, but not flipping use it because the required video card hasn't been released!

This is the crap that Apple does that just makes me shake my head.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
What a BITA. Apple claimed that the 6800s would be in supply end of August. Now, par for the course, that gets kicked back a month. Combine this with the claimed schedule for the 30" displays showing up is already weeks before the 6800s, and we have a major screw up. Nice that you can drop over 3 thou on a display, but not flipping use it because the required video card hasn't been released!

This is the crap that Apple does that just makes me shake my head.
I highly doubt this is Apple's fault. What would you do in this situation?
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 01:02 PM

I would get my supply chain house in order before I start "selling" products. Apple is quite skilled in selling vaporware.

Originally posted by discstickers:

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 02:00 PM

Hi all,
As for me my order has been push back to on or before 21/9/04 on my CTO G5 2.5 I guess because of the 6800, now that sucks as I start school on monday, and on my order status page the 23"LCD I ordered says on or before 19/8/04 but today the 19th it still says open. Now this is really upsetting.

With all this news of 6800's coming late and for some on Apples forums complaining about pink screens on there new 23"LCD's or strange color saturation around the edges of the screen(2" - 3" border). Im wondering if apple QC gone down the tubes!

Oh well sorry for the rant I really was hoping for my G5 2.5 w/6800 and 23"LCD before school starts.

Oh great what's up with my post count all the way back to 1, what else is going to happen in these last few days of summer?

silver
( Last edited by silver; Aug 19, 2004 at 02:07 PM. )
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

discstickers
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Boochie:
I would get my supply chain house in order before I start "selling" products. Apple is quite skilled in selling vaporware.
So does that mean you wouldn't have intro'ed the 30" displays at WWDC?

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 06:10 PM

Who is happy when they announce these products that nobody can buy for an indeterminate length of time? They announced the 30" display at the end of May (and made it available for sale on the website). If the graphics card isn't available until the end of September, that means that it's a full four months between putting the product for sale and it being of any use to anybody! I think that's ridiculous.

So does that mean you wouldn't have intro'ed the 30" displays at WWDC?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 11:09 PM

While I use and enjoy Apple products, I will not become an Apple apologist. Sorry.
It's asinine to ship a display before the requisite video card. What would I have done? Introduced both products at the WWDC, and give them indentical ship dates and make damn sure the ship dates something that can be delivered. This is not an isolated event, here.

Of course it's not Apple's fault. It's never Apple's fault. It's always those rascally suppliers who can't deliver, and they always make poor Apple look bad.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 01:27 PM

So I've been planning on buying a 30" display, which of course will also require the purchase of the 6800 card. If I order today, ship date on a 30" display is Sept. 17th. Ship date on a 6800 is 'late October'.

Just beating a dead horse here. Can get my 30" display, unpack it, set it on the desk next to my G5, and wait over a month to get the video card so I can actually use it. No real point here. I realize I can just have my order shipped in one chunk when everything is available. Waiting until 'late October' isn't hurting me at all. Just makes me scratch my head over Apple's releases. Yes, Apple is waiting on Nvidia to get their act together, but availability slipping from late August to late October is missing the mark a wee bit.

I do suppose it's aggravating to Apple as well. Having a customer who wants to throw 4 grand at 'em, but having to sit and wait until stuff becomes available, and hoping said customer doesn't have a change of heart.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 12:38 PM

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering the new nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Card Kit. We look forward to making this exciting new technology available to you.

Unfortunately, we are experiencing unexpected delays and cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics Card Kit on or before October 22nd. If your order includes an Apple 30" Cinema HD Display, it will also ship on or before October 22nd. Your satisfaction remains important to us and we do appreciate your patience. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this delay has caused you.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 03:07 PM

When did you order? I ordered on 8/12, split a few weeks after that. They promised it by 9/17, but pushed it back to 10/15.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 04:00 PM

Order Date
08/18/2004

boy they must be tight

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering the new nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Card Kit. We look forward to eventually making this exciting new technology available to you.

Naturally, we are experiencing the usual delays and cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. Please disregard the next ship date we give you as well. We would like you to believe that we will ship your NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics Card Kit on or before October 22nd. If your order includes an Apple 30" Cinema HD Display, we will also claim that it will ship on or before October 22nd. Your satisfaction remains important to us and we do appreciate your patience. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this delay has caused you. No, really.
fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules