Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > GeForce FX 5200 Ultra making noise?

GeForce FX 5200 Ultra making noise?
redeye78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 11:42 AM

I recently bought a dual 2.0 with the 5200 Ultra and whenever i am doing anything that makes the card actually work there is a high pitched sortof whine coming from the card. Does this mean that I have a bad card? How do I test it?
Dual 2.0 - 2.5 Ghz RAM - 5200 Ultra - Dual Apple Cinema displays - Runnin 10.3.5

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 01:21 PM

Does the card have a fan on it? It's probably the fan starting up or whirring faster.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

redeye78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 01:40 PM

No fan
Dual 2.0 - 2.5 Ghz RAM - 5200 Ultra - Dual Apple Cinema displays - Runnin 10.3.5

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:25 PM

mine whines when i preview a video file in a finder window using column view. does yours do that as well?

redeye78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 11:40 PM

It does whine when I preview a video file. It's really loud when I am previewing the screen-saver for some reason. Is it something that other people are experiencing.

xe0
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 07:41 AM

I get a whine when I preview video in the finder and during some After effects work. iirc this whine is chronic and starts at random
I'm not entirely sure where its coming from but It could be the card.

for reference I have a DP 1.8 w/ nvidia 5200.

Also I might mention that I get constant freezes during gaming. I cant play more than 20mins before I get a GUI lockup. Its been happening since I bought this rig. I suspect its the 5200 also.

redeye78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 11:55 AM

Now I'm reading in other forums that the whine might be from the power supply?

http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=82
( Last edited by redeye78; Aug 25, 2004 at 12:04 PM. )

redeye78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 06:26 PM

The noise IS coming from the power supply. Do I take my computer back and make them replace the PSU or the whole computer?

http://www.asamnet.de/~altendom/extmix/g5noise.html

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by redeye78:
I recently bought a dual 2.0 with the 5200 Ultra and whenever i am doing anything that makes the card actually work there is a high pitched sortof whine coming from the card. Does this mean that I have a bad card? How do I test it?
I get the exact same thing on my TiBook with an ATI Rage card - a high pitched whine when the card works. When it does a slow motion minimize for instance, it constantly whines exactly during the minimization.

I can't really see why the power-supply would have anything to do with it (especially since you probably have the latest revision)

redeye78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 03:11 AM

Yesterday 9/20 I called AppleCare and told them the issues with my G5. They had me remove the extra ram and reset the pmu, by pressing the little button on the logic board. Then I booted up and previewed a QT file in the finder, I still got that same whine from the tower!!! They told me that I need to go to a service provider and have the diagnose the issue further. Later that night I was transfering some files from the G5 to my external fire wire and I heard some sort-of pop coming from under my desk, as I got closer, it got more frequent and I realized that the POWER SUPPILY WAS ARCING SOMEWHERE INSIDE MY COMPUTER!!!!! I immediately shut down my computer and unplugged everything.

Today I took it into the Apple Store here in Seattle and checked it in at the Genius Bar and told them my issues. She told me that she was going to run diagnostics an it and replace anything that they found defective.

I really dont feel that playing mix and match the pieces of the G5 is the way this needs to be dealt with. My computer is less than 3 months old and I feel as if there is going to be more problems in the future. ?? What if they diagnose my computer and find nothing else is wrong besides the power suppily and then later on down the road other things start to fail???

I feel as if I should have my computer replaced with no questions asked, am I wrong?

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2004, 10:17 AM

I doubt that they're going to take it back after three months. They will exercise the repair option.

I have Rev A dual G5 that's a year old now and my power supply makes the 'scree' sound while scrolling, the chirp sound pretty much all the time and a 'sci-fi' ray gun sound while performing large file transfers over the network.

Mine sits on the floor so I usually have to strain to hear the first two. The network transfer sound is pretty loud however.

At one point they had a power supply exchange policy going. Anyone know if they are still willing to do that?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 07:14 AM

My rev A Dual 1.8 has started to make a 'chirping'/'whirring' noise under heavy graphics load too... Got 7 months of my warranty left luckily, so may leave it a bit longer before having it fixed.

Thing is, it has been so problem free so far that I am loathe to change anything, or even touch it...

Al G
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 01:32 PM

Sorry but that's just the way Apple does things. There's no way they will replace a machine that isn't brand new. In fact, despite their published DOA policy, you'd have a pretty tough time getting them to replace a brand new machine that won't even power up. "Take it in for service" is about all they know how to say these days.

discstickers
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 03:28 AM

Mine is also showing a slight chirping noise. I have a 9600xt, but it sounds like it's coming from the power supply. It usually shows up under high loads in Safari, but not other high load situations.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by redeye78:
I really dont feel that playing mix and match the pieces of the G5 is the way this needs to be dealt with. My computer is less than 3 months old and I feel as if there is going to be more problems in the future. ?? What if they diagnose my computer and find nothing else is wrong besides the power suppily and then later on down the road other things start to fail???

I feel as if I should have my computer replaced with no questions asked, am I wrong?
And what if there is nothing else wrong with it? What if it's just a bad power supply and that's it. What if it was the HD that had failed, you expect them to give you a whole new computer instead of just a new HD? I mean come on guys, it makes sense to try and fix the computer first. With one little fix it could turn into a computer that lasts forever.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

redeye78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 10:09 PM

After two seperate trips to the Apple store, the power supply was replaced. The high pitched whine was still driving me nutz!! There was a newbee Genius that took a look at my computer, as he took it out of the box he set one side of the machine on the floor and DROPPED the other side!! I demanded to talk to the manager, the genius bar manager came out and talked to me. I demonstrated the problem with the whining and he copied the quick time file that I specifically showed him and transfered it to one of the demo G5s.
The whine did NOT happen with the demo. Then the manager tried to tell me that he hears the same noise on his machine and it causes no problem. I told him that the whine is a problem and the fact that the new Genius dropped my machine that my machine needs to be replaced. He talked to the store manager and they replaced my machine. Go Figure? I also appologise for my bitterness in previous posts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules